Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Itadaki Street Special - Partial English Translation

I was looking around for info on FF & DQ in Itadaki Street Special when I stumbled across and English Translation Patch. Turns out someone did a menu translation for it a while back. It's not complete, but it helps make the game a lot more understandable. Most of what is missing is not vital to understanding the game-play. Just stuff like what character's say to you (smack talk between opponents) and character descriptions etc.).

Here are some screen shots I took while testing it out:

Itadaki_Translated_01.png

Full game selection menu is translated.

Itadaki_Translated_02.png

Character descriptions are not translated, but you can certainly recognize their sprites.

Itadaki_Translated_03.png

Itadaki_Translated_04.png

Untranslated menu items are described over on the right side, so you can tell what they say anyway.

Itadaki_Translated_05.png

Itadaki_Translated_06.png

Itadaki_Translated_07.png

Itadaki_Translated_08.png

Itadaki_Translated_09.png

Itadaki_Translated_10.png

The graphics and music in this game are amazing. There is one course that is modeled after the sunken ship in Dragon Quest 6 and it gives you a great impression of how DQ6 would have looked if remade for the PS2. I will try to rip a video of that scene because it really is breathtaking.

Anyway, it's a shame this patch got left half-done. It can't be much more work to finish it off. There is not very much non-menu text in the game.

Yeah, wasn't this on some long abandoned Russian web site? I'd add this to the Shrine, but it seems the project is dormant. That and I just finished and uploaded the new translations section and don't wanna go back.

Yeah, wasn't this on some long abandoned Russian web site? I'd add this to the Shrine, but it seems the project is dormant. That and I just finished and uploaded the new translations section and don't wanna go back.

I actually don't know the source of the translation. I found the patch in a rapidshare package linked from a GameFAQ's post. I was just happy the link was still valid. I wonder how hard it would be to pick things up from here and finish it. Tom mentioned he isn't working on anything until he gets a committed translator, but a project like this with so little text might not require much effort from a translator at all.

Anyway, I am just itchy to have more of these games playable by us western folk.

Is there a script dump for it? If the language is really simple, you'd probably be able to translate it with Google and consulting some Japanese item FAQs for the items. Does the game have a story mode or is it like Mario Party where the boardgame IS the story?

Sorry for the big bump. I just downloaded this, and "Purin"'s name is "Priss"? So, there's two versions? 

Hmm, maybe there is.  That's news to me.  Here is the MD5 of my patched version: ada027695fe35a33f883c3396ee20b37.  MD5 of my clean ISO: ae3989e5d7a0c9881268ca9dcbeba1b6

The plot thickens: The version i was using before was 17_04_2011 (presumably the build date), but I just downloaded version 18_09_2009 and -I haven't patched with it, but looking at the raw patch files in Notepad- "Priss" is in this version as well.

Also, I tried patching with edited patch files, and the game won't boot. So, I either made a mistake somewhere, or the patcher is picky about something specific in the data files and I wouldn't know how to change that. But the 3 files in the patcher's "Data" folder appear to be partially raw text without any encryption. There's what looks to be a ton of garbage, but it's likely formatted in shift-jis which my computer doesn't like. (Setting notepad to use a japanese script doesn't make any japanese characters appear, but there's a ton of english text here.)

I should note, that (back before I turned away from game piracy) I used to play with a patch that did name the princess of Moonbrooke "Purin". Whether or not this is the same version as you had, I don't know. The rest of the translations seemed to be the same. Odd that they would change "Purin" (Pudding) to "Priss" (Princess...?) but leave Cannock as "Kukki" (Cookie). Personally, if I can figure out the patcher, and get around to cleaning this up (if not finishing it) I would use "Beth" and "Lars". (As well as change Yangus's name to "Yangs" or "Angus", because there's a 5-letter limit, and "Yanus", well...)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Sorry for another bump, but I feel this is important. Last night I succeeded in replacing the memory card screen loading text! This means I can definitely edit the patch!

Unfortunately, every attempt so far to edit character names has resulted in a game that won't boot. I think that may be due to size changes. Initially I tried using long names, and that didn't work. Next I tried revised abbreviations or other localizations (Yangs for Yangus, Beth for Priss, etc.) perhaps names must be the same size they are currently, which I may be able to remedy by adding a space: "Beth" would be "Beth ". Or perhaps I just need to overwrite these "NUL" characters to stay within pointer bounds. Otherwise, I'll have to edit pointers, which I may or may not be able to do with the tools I have.

Also, last night I found DaMarsMan's entire Itadaki Street Special project hosted on the Internet. It's a lot more advanced than what I've been working with, but I've got mad respect for him and he never actually released a patch (at least one I've seen), and he's also a Den member. I wouldn't want to edit his work without permission. However, I'd totally like to play the game with this (incomplete) patch, because looking at his script, it's a lot better than the one I've been using. Unfortunately, there's no instructions for his script injector, which is a command line tool. I don't know what arguments to use.

UPDATE: I was able to change "Priss" to "Beth" by manipulating NUL characters. However, when attempting to fix the other names using the same technique, I was presented with another unbootable ISO. I'll have to go through and edit names one by one until I figure out what the problem is. I've got two ideas: A)Even when deleting a NUL to account for pointer space, the game doesn't like 6-character(alphabet) character(people) names. OR B) Clift (Cristo/Kiryl) and Aeris (Aerith) both have FOUR entries instead of THREE, like the other character names. Perhaps those extras shouldn't be edited.

I know that technically it's possible to force the game to use longer character names, as DaMarsMan's script does, but I don't know he did it.

UPDATE: I've cleaned up quite a bit more of the menu text, but I'm not quite done. Current priorities: figure out how newlines are handled, and (if I can) extend shortened names. Doing anything with either one so far has given me an unbootable game. (Although I *think* I can solve newlines if I attack them one at a time.)

Anyways, I intended to work on this for an hour or so, and it's been nearly 6 hours. It's 5:22 AM, and I haven't been to sleep yet. So I'm off to bed.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

My wife and I would be ecstatic if this every got finished.  it's a shame.