Sign in to follow this  
Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Non-DQ fan-art thread

DC+Comics+-+Young+Justice+(002).jpg

Young Justice.

The original YJ team, Impulse, Superboy and Robin.

Marvel+Comics+-+Masters+of+Evil+(001).jp

Masters of Evil.

The Masters of Evil, as featured in the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance videogame.

Marvel+Comics+-+Avengers+(001).jpg

Avengers and Fantastic Four.

The Avengers and the Fantastic Four of the 80s teaming up.

Marvel+Comics+-+Jack+Power+(008).jpg

Mass Master.

Jack Power playing a Wii game.

Final+Fantasy+VI+-+Gau+(001).jpg

Gau.

Gau, my favorite character from Final Fantasy VI.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm completely clueless about art in general, but how do you do those pics. Do you draw them and scan them or are they done on the computer?

I draw them with ball point pen (of course, I use pencil first, then erase it). Then I scan it.

On the GIMP I set the scanned lineart as a layer using the "multiply" mode. This is a binary mask multiplication.

1 x 1 = 1

0 x 0 = 0

1 x 0 = 0

This is done on the colors of this layer and the ones below it. That means that any white areas of the lineart layer will simply let you see the color that is below them. And any black areas darken the colors below (all the way to black if the line is true black in that point).

This way, I simply color on different (transparent) layers below the lineart.

Other people use the "fill" tool. I do not like it. It may eat the lines away or leave uncolored areas.

And I want to have more control over what is colored and what is not.

Of course, that has the con that any noise created by the scanner is left there (I guess I should clean it up, but I leave some of it, and you can see it).

That's really cool. Thanks for going into detail. I really like your art and had absolutely no clue how it's done. My curiosity is sated for now. I can just sit back and enjoy without wondering each time you post something new.

I've just started browsing your art and it's very impressive!  I haven't drawn in years and have recently been making efforts to pick it back up.  This is quite inspiring to see.  Thanks!  Nice to see Gau up there too.

Thanks for thinking so much of my pics. I would like to see your new pics as you create them.

I noticed people here mostly like DQ or FF fan art. Not a lot of people are into old or obscure Marvel characters.

I am more familiar with DC Universe, but I can pick out a Marvel here and there.  My sister has a buttload of comics. 

I will PM a pic I tried a few years ago.  I find it rather embarrassing, but I drew it, scanned it, cleaned the lines, printed it, and added color with prisma markers and pencils.  It is of Flavia, Dayne, and Em who are characters in my RPG Maker Dragon Quest project.  Thank you for your interest.

It should not be embarrassing. It is quite good. And it can only get better, too.

I see you used markers for the lines, too, right? I have trouble with markers because my lines don't behave the way I want them to. So I use ball point pens (I know artists are not supposed to use those, but I love them). I take my time with lines, doing smaller sections. The bad thing about it is that they don't flow "freely", but a good thing I have been told is that they look as if I had printed it from somewhere instead of drawing it by hand.

Sometimes I try to free my hand a little, with different results. See the faces on the Dani and Josh pic in this page. Or go to the first page and check the Power Pack pic with the six faces, or the darker pic of Mass Master and Cloak & Dagger.

Normally, I used ballpoint pens, but after reading all the things against it, I tried the sharp end of the marker.  I checked out the faces you suggested to get a better understanding of your "free hand."  This is something I'll have to try.  Thanks for the encouragement and I look forward to exploring your works in greater depth.

Edited by foxfirenelli

Marvel+Comics+-+Robert+Baldwin+(003).jpg

Speedball.

One of the original New Warriors.

Marvel+Comics+-+Anelle+(001).jpg

Princess Anelle.

Skrull Princess Anelle, thinking of her love, the late Captain Marvel. This picture was inspired by the song "Kissing you", by Des'ree.

Marvel+Comics+-+Jack+Power+(009).jpg

Mass Master and Secret.

A Marvel and DC crossover. Mass Master from Power Pack meets Secret from Young Justice.

Marvel+Comics+-+Daniel+Rand+(001).jpg

Phoenix, Iron Fist and Misty Knight.

Danny and Misty are just resting at home, while "Jean" tries on her Phoenix costume.

• Upvote 1

A couple of non-DQ pics. Hope you like them.

Marvel+Comics+-+Joseph+Bailey+(001).jpg

Shatterbox.

From Marvel Comics, the niece and nephew of Jean Grey: Gailyn and Joey Bailey.

Marvel+Comics+-+Jack+Power+(010).jpg

Jack Power.

Mass Master, resting after a day of super heroing.

• Upvote 1

A few more:

Marvel+Comics+-+Big+Hero+6+(001).jpg

Big Hero 6.

Japanese super hero team.

DC+Comics+-+Goodness+(001).jpg

¡Abuelita!

Granny Goodness drinking chocolate.

Marvel+Comics+-+Steven+Rogers+(003).jpg

Steve Rogers and Jack Power.

Marvel Hunk of the Month Steve Rogers drawing a pic for fan Jack Power.

Holy...Cesar, you're a serious talent.  Are you a cartoonist for a living?

These are awesome Cesar! Every time I come to this thread, I can't just look at the latest addition.  I have to look at the whole thread again.  Lots of amazing work in here and I am in awe of your skills. 

Wow, thanks, ignasia. And nope, I am a software developer. I just have liked drawing since I was around 4, I guess, and I have become a little better over time.

Thanks to you too, KZ. Remember to click each one's link to read more about the characters each time you go through the thread. :D

• Upvote 1

Two new pics. I used a marker for the line art on these. It is really faster to finish inking a drawing with a marker (as compared to doing it with a ball pen), but I cannot add so much detail to the lines.

Marvel+Comics+-+Jack+Power+(011).jpg

Power Pack's Jack Power's pool attack!

Everyone has seen kids like this at the pool, with their water throwing wars and bringing everyone underwater when they least expect it.

Lost%2B-%2BBenjamin%2BLinus%2B(001).jpg

Young Ben Linus from Lost.

The leader of the "Others", from Lost, as a kid.

• Upvote 1

Phantasy%2BStar%2BII%2B-%2BHuey%2BReane%

Huey Reane and a maruera tree.

Art from Phantasy Star II. The biologist Huey Reane (or Hugh Thompson). Not sure what size those trees are supposed to be, I just went with small so I could get away with it being a very young tree if it turns out I was wrong.

• Upvote 2

Nice! I don't what is canon, but I thought they were small, just like you drawn it.

How is your playthrough going?

Still like weeks ago, pending a dungeon with a lot of "jump in" holes that have to be used in order to navigate all the sub-basements. I will need to have free time to map that one out (whether it is in my mind or in paper).

My PS gaming is done in PS Portable at the moment. I was already close to level 40, but started the demo again (before I get more rare items). I had used only "Cesar" as my name because the 18 character limit would not let me use my surnames, and I did not want to use "Hernandez-Mer" or just one of my two last names. I now selected "César Hernán-Meraz" as an alternative. I also made the character slightly less thin, too. Still not much, since Laia's training would take care of much excess fat. :D

I think I will spend quite some time getting clothes and cool weapons in this game before I commit fully to the games that require more thoughts devoted to playing them.

Huh, there are a few dungeons like that. One of the dams, perhaps?

Oh, I love taking notes about the game I'm playing. Pen and notepad. Reminds me of the time I had no access to guides and walkthroughs.

I have similar problem, a few games (including some Dragon Quests, for sure DQV) don't allow numbers in names. That's why I had to come up with 'Retax' as alternative for 'Sk8er'.

It is in Dezolis. One of the places you can only see when you get the prism. It is one of the places with Nei equipment.

I mentioned the holes because it seems even more important in this dungeon (I think it has some 6, or even more, floors). The lab with all the biomonsters in glasses also has one or two of these, but it is only three floors. The road to a certain character from a previous game also has these jump in holes, but it also is just three floors.

Okay, I think I know the place.

Are you using Kain the rest of the game?

Edited by ignasia7

Yes. My party is Kainz, Huey, Rudger and Yousis.