Sign in to follow this  
JessicaAlbert13

Young Yangus

I was looking through some old youtube vids and found the intro of the Young Yangus game....

I watched some more comercials for the game and couldn't help but notice....

THAT GAME IS FREAKING SWEET.

Young Yangus looks to be on par with the Rocket Slime spin-off game. The graphics are good-ole'-fashion anime like graphics done in Toriyama's style (actually seeing Yangus and his young-faced character reminded me of the main protagonist in SandLand). Even Red makes an appearance and Yangus's father along with a picture of Kandar - framed, hanging on the wall! Even Morrie, for some reason I can only guess at, is in the game (and he appears the exact, same, age as he does in all the other games 0.0)

I'd really love to get my hands on the game, but I don't follow emulators and ROMS. I'd like the Japanese copy of the game. I did buy a Japanese copy of Dragon Quest VI for my SNES and the ma'am who sold it to me told me a certain strip or piece of it had been removed just so the game could run in an American SNES. Since you can't really do much with a PS2 disc, I'm guessing even a Japanese game could run in my PS2 unless the machine itself has to be tampered with.

So does anyone know a nice place where I can buy the game, or better yet maybe a series of videos that show off more cutscenes? (all I can find are just the commercials already on the Den)

I'd love to just see maybe an LP (Japanese or English) of the game. But I'd love to play the game myself too.

It's such a terribly pity that game wasn't released outside Japan! Really, Japan needs to stop hogging all the good games to themselves!

I got my DQ5 PS2 import from ebay. Took a few extra days to clear customs, but arrived from Japan in perfect shape.

Tried firing it up via Memor32, but didn't seem to work. Once I get around to its section, I'll see what I can do via PS2 emulation. Practically zero info on Yangus. Even searching in Japanese gets me bupkis.

It's such a terribly pity that game wasn't released outside Japan! Really, Japan needs to stop hogging all the good games to themselves!

100% agree

Tried firing it up via Memor32, but didn't seem to work. Once I get around to its section, I'll see what I can do via PS2 emulation. Practically zero info on Yangus. Even searching in Japanese gets me bupkis.

I just found some valid download links for the ISO so I will grab that and see how it looks in PCSX2. My bandwidth is currently being hogged by a 38GB download for work, but once that clears, I will grab this and have a go.

100% agree

I've heard two stories about Yangus. Fern, Square Enix marketing extraordinaire said on Slime Knights that when the time came for a decision on Yangus, it was a unanimous, "NO!" Then there was a 1UP podcast that got on the subject of Yangus because the guy who localized Torneko: The Last Hope popped up on Something Awful and was talking about working on it. They said plains were set in motion and ready to go, but was eventually canned. Odd since they've released Mysterious Dungeon games since. Yangus actually had more features than the Chocobo ones, like extensive monster breeding.

Sadly, it has no Pokémon or Chocobo, which means execs might think it will not sell well just because of the title.

Too bad it wasn't on a Nintendo system so Nintendo could save the day.

This sounds like a job for DQ Translations! Seems like a worthy project. Not sure if they are looking for a new project or not though.

I hope someone makes a translation patch for it just like DQ5 on PS2

It's probably my favorite Mysterious Dungeon game, which is funny since it was made by Cavia and not ChunSoft. ChunSoft at least did finally bring their games up to snuff a bit with Shiren 3, but I still like DQ Yangus more. If anybody does start a translation project, I might lend a hand if I have some time.

As for Nintendo saving the day... well, Nintendo has given up on releasing the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games in English, so I can't imagine they'd touch a DQ one at this point regardless.

It looks good but I'm not very big on mystery dungeon games.

I asked for no other mention of another Dungeon Game: this topic is YANGUS AND YANGUS ONLY

With some Red (Geruda or Gerda, my Japanese is beginner but I can read a little now)

And YAMPA (I got that myself from the vid, not from reading the Wiki page on it even though the Wiki helped...)

And Morrie (who I am still terrified of because I keep having nightmares that I end up marrying a guy like him or I end up looking like him).

Mmm-hmm. If there was a fully translated ROM or even half translated or even 10% translated, I would pull out all stops for it. I don't like emulators as they always damage my computer. I did buy an R4 but it still hasn't been configured perfectly yet (cuz I ended up buying the wrong SD card...)

I'm not a big-known translator myself, but I'm starting my own translation of the Warriors of Eden manga; since only the first four books were translated on manga-foxy-commers and I could not find another manga site with it. I got a couple chapters down, but with some holes. I can read most kana and know the full alphabet (at least I think I do) but when it comes to some symbols I draw a blank even with help. Really, I'm only translating that manga as I actually OWN it via lovely AKON purchase and I totally love Guren and Bezel (and they're not in the gaaaame *whine*)

But if DQ-translations wants a little beginner translator and script-writer who would work with no pay or sleep, show me where to sign up! I'd love to try and help expand the Dragon Quest empire to English.

Back to Yangus, knowing I can find the game off PlayAsia helps a lot. I'm not an Ebay fan, but I did get my Heaven figure set from there (in perfect lovely order that just took about a MONTH of shipping). Ebay has, pardon my American, f-ed up my orders countless times in the past. Really, Amazon is the best when it comes to shipping and prices, but their selection is not as great as other sites (namely, Asian sites).

Perhaps with the popularity of Dragon Quest IX on the rise, a re-release of Yangus's game will be made. I don't know its complete sales numbers, but on a poll done in Akihabara that game was in the top ten of most loved DQ games of 2009.

Wow -_-;; At least I can say that's not the first time I made a guy say that. But you're a girl. So I feel shame. In weird ways.

I type a lot I know. Please do not trouble yourself to read every word. My typing speed scares my computer so badly my keyboard ran away in fear so thus I use laptop. And I abuse it, A LOT, with all my writings and venturing to the Japanese side of the net.

And the Japanese side of the net has DQ games, so thus I venture there often.

Most wanted DQ games for me: Young Yangus and Dragon Quest Kenshin.

I'm not a big fan of Kenshin (because I suck at it). It's kind of neat because its like a remake of DQ1, but the sword motions are REALLY off

I'd still love to play the game even if the controls aren't as up to speed.

In Battle Road Victory, the Kenshin versions of the Hero and Lady Lora (who I think is actually spelled as Laura) are used. And also... it'd be so much fun owning DracoLord with a wii-mote or sword controller instead of a DS or gameboy.

But yes... I still want Young Yangus... cuz.... he has red hair. And it's YANGUS.

I asked for no other mention of another Dungeon Game: this topic is YANGUS AND YANGUS ONLY

That is a bit too much to ask for/get angry about. Pretty silly... people can say what they want.

I too would love to play this game, and hope DQ Translations picks it up sometime. Their work on DQV looks GREAT even though I haven't played it yet, but I have a great burning/playing on PS2 process all ready for when I can!

But yeah, not a huge fan of Mystery Dungeon games, but there are a couple great ones, and this looks really fun! And it has Jailcats. JAAAILCAAAATS!

Yeah, let's not get angry on the web. Lotsa chances to do that outside the web.

I have played Yangus, and I can say it is a cool game. I do not have time to play at home, though, and all my PS2 games are abandoned because of that.

I can tell you some of the bosses could be hard if your monster companions were not good enough. Since Yangus's level always goes back to 1, a lot of the responsibility fall into the monsters. Also, storing/ buying good weapons helps when starting a difficult dungeon.

Young Yangus was featured in Itadaki Street DS. He was not a very bright player, being a rank D (or was it C?) in that game (he was the same or almost the same rank as slime and momonja).

Ok, I have the ISO now and I fired it up in PCSX2. Works beautifully so far. I ripped the opening sequence video just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bFzqTxpEBk

I may rip some frames from that video later because... well... it's awesome!

I'd still love to play the game even if the controls aren't as up to speed.

In Battle Road Victory, the Kenshin versions of the Hero and Lady Lora (who I think is actually spelled as Laura) are used. And also... it'd be so much fun owning DracoLord with a wii-mote or sword controller instead of a DS or gameboy.

What happened to Yangus only?

"I don't get angry. I get even." - Andriod 17

"I-don't-get-angry-I-get-even-SHUT THE HELL UP!" - Piccolo

Yeah, I don't get angry, people. I just write in all caps cuz IT'S FUN! Here I'll use one of those... thingys.... :overjoyed2:

It's a freaking forum. People can post whatev they want (within legal limits, I think). But when someone sounds a little moody, ev'rybody gotta start freaking out and gaining up on the person. Really, you Dragon's Den peeps, REALLY don't like me.

I'm not mad. I'm glad. Cuz my anti-depressants began kicking in.

Anyways,

I want the Young Yangus game the most because..... Dragon Quest VIII was the FIRST game here to get the full title. And if it had been released in English it would've been cool with voice-acting... especially British voice-acting..... AND I WANT THOSE MONSTERS IN MY PARTY. There needs to be more games where monsters can join you, it's just way, too, fun, and addicting.

AHHHHHHHHHH! THANK YOU, KING ZENITH, SIR!

THAT VIDEO HAS MADE MY DAY TO PERFECTION!

Now I wanna dance like those little Dancing Devils... looks so easy, but it's hard. Especially when you try it in an elevator like I just did.

YOUNG YANGUS 4EVER!!!!!! Well, not forever AS he did grow up in Dragon Quest VIII (and lost that beautiful luscious hair).

And have a sense of humor, Hammer...Slime, I was just getting the topic back on topic TO YANGUS.

.....hammer slime time?

Really, you Dragon's Den peeps, REALLY don't like me.

Not quite. We just really don't like people typing in all caps, reprimanding other members for using quotes, or hypocrisy.