Sign in to follow this  
eal

Saddest moment in Dragon Quest history

I got to with dad's death in DQV.

One less obvious.

I'm not sure if this was just translation or not, but didn't General Tom in DQVI get executed for helping the hero? That part made me feel a little guilty.

One less obvious.

I'm not sure if this was just translation or not, but didn't General Tom in DQVI get executed for helping the hero? That part made me feel a little guilty.

Hmmm, this is how I thought it went down:

He does disappear after Mudo's defeat, but there is a late-game reunion that explains his mysterious disappearance. Essentially he was taken into the Demon World. You meet him again as a jailor for the prison town and he helps you free everybody

The saddest DQ moment for me would have to be the ending of DQ VIII mainly because of the fact that it was ending (it is after all my most favorite RPG of all time).

Besides that, It would be all those moments in DQ VII in which a town or person is in trouble and when you go back to present time to see what changed.

For example the robot still taking "care" of it's dead master and when....

you find and read Kiefers note at the end of the game.

The saddest DQ moment for me would have to be the ending of DQ VIII mainly because of the fact that it was ending (it is after all my most favorite RPG of all time).

What?! The Hero runing off with his love is a sad ending to you?!

Another sad part for me is in DW 7. I believe there is a scene about Kiefer

and a note from him from the past, telling you that you'll always be his friend

One more sad, or rather, touching part, is the note from Prince Harry (DS Version) that he carves out in the bottom of the empty chest in his former room. :P

Dragon Warrior 7, when that robot was taking care of that inventor that built him, and the man died. The robot had no idea he was dead. It kept making his soup everyday and was saying maybe something was wrong with the soup because the man (who at that point was a skeleton) would not eat it. This was in the "past" town, and when you went there in the present the robot was frozen still, it had long since stopped working.

What?! The Hero runing off with his love is a sad ending to you?!

The ending wasn't sad like I said it was sad because the game was so good I didn't want it to end and so when it did end I was sad.

One less obvious.

Hmmm, this is how I thought it went down:

He does disappear after Mudo's defeat, but there is a late-game reunion that explains his mysterious disappearance. Essentially he was taken into the Demon World. You meet him again as a jailor for the prison town and he helps you free everybody

I thought that

was after he died and that there was a grave in Reidock.

It's been a long time since I played that game though. It'll be interesting to see how that's changed if any in the remake.

Honestly, this is a rather hard choice for me. Especially seeing as how I have this bad tendency with DQ games to not finish them no matter how much I like them, usually due to some sort of saving error(seeing as how I very rarely save) that causes me to lose a bunch of progress. Anyway, my personal saddest moments are...

Pretty much everything in DQV. It's just incredibly sad to me. However, it's also my second favorite story in DQ.

The whole Eri thing in DQVII. I actually cried when I saw Eri still there, trying to help her "sick" master, when he was actually dead.

Trodain in DQVIII. Also, Marta's deadth.

I haven't played VI, but of everything else, V is the most sad to me. Particularly when the hero and his wife are turned to statues and separated. I was absolutely heartbroken watching the years pass, knowing that Nera (or Bianca, I suppose) could be absolutely anywhere in the world. I've wondered if the poor hero was actually conscious during that time or now. I don't believe the game ever addressed that, though.

I've wondered if the poor hero was actually conscious during that time or now. I don't believe the game ever addressed that, though.

If you ask me, i'd like to think that he was conscious, but during the years lying down in the snow, dirt, etc after getting kicked around by Mr. Porgie, maybe he kinda lost a bit of his memories? He didn't recognize Sancho at first after the kids and Sancho saved him with the Staff of Stolos :)

usually due to some sort of saving error

Ah, the irony. A guy that goes by the name of Missingno has saving errors...

In FF7 during the "sad moment" i was always wondering "Why didn't he just use a phoenix down? or even a cure spell?" It didn't make me sad, more confused if anything.

Phoenix Down recovers from K.O. status. I guess being skewered doesn't just reduce your HP to 0 and knock you out, it kills you outright.

You they have sad scenes in Phanasy Star II when Nei dies after you battle Neifirst and IV after battling Zio for the first time and Alys dies. I can imagine Rolf's reaction when the operator at the cloning lab tells him they do not clone bio monsters (Although you can revive her in battle with a moon dew) I guess players have the same reaction in Dragon Warrior VII when Kiefer leaves... (for those who gave him all their strength seeds etc) it can be a pain... however I have always wondered how he would be if he had a few MP...

The ending wasn't sad like I said it was sad because the game was so good I didn't want it to end and so when it did end I was sad.

Exactly! That is what I thought too.

As for the saddest moment, its either in DQVIII when I discovered the Hero's parent's graves, or when I beat DQVIII completely (main story) and realized that everything was over (not including post game extras). I literally cried in the ending scene. I was so overjoyed, I was sad.

To me the saddest are

~Serena and Corvus

~Psaro and Rose (HOW DARE NOBODY MENTIONS THAT)

~Start of chapter 5

~Pankraz's death

~Mada's death

~Barbara fading away

~V hero and his wife turned into stone.

Dragon Quest VI, the way Mireille (and then Terry after her) leaves her family.

Kind of like with DQ V hero and Henry being slaves, but I have to freak out at the possibility of what must have happened to Mireille.

DQM later shows us the kids before all of this happens, but it only makes it sadder after that...

So, Terry has his excuse for being all emo.

Kind of like with DQ V hero and Henry being slaves, but I have to freak out at the possibility of what must have happened to Mireille.

Milly was sold to slavery by her father/adoptive father. And it is possible that she experienced things worse than slavery in Gandino, because, if i remember the SFC Version correctly, women were regularly taken and imprisoned in the castle. That is what prompted Terry on his quest, and it was he who inflicted the wound on the arm of the injured Gindoro Thug resting at the Gindoro HQ :)

Yeah, you could say I knew that. That is what freaks me out. Those things would be horrible on an adult, and I think she would be 18 at most during the game, with Terry around 15-17 (as I imagine it).

She would have been only slightly older than she was in DQM2 when that happened, which makes it the more horrible.

Poor Terry could not do much to protect her. Not strong enough...

I may have to add another sad moment for me. Last night I started on Chapter 5 for Dragon Quest IV on the DS, and it was real sad to see Eliza morph into my character and then sacrifice herself. She even asked me to remember her. Then the village was all burned, I dont remember it being that sad on the NES version.

I may have to add another sad moment for me. Last night I started on Chapter 5 for Dragon Quest IV on the DS, and it was real sad to see Eliza morph into my character and then sacrifice herself. She even asked me to remember her. Then the village was all burned, I dont remember it being that sad on the NES version.

I was pretty sad about that too and equally sad when Pankraz from V died.

I was pretty sad about that too and equally sad when Pankraz from V died.

These two also stand out to me as the saddest. V takes the cake for me period though, because it's not just Pankraz' death, but then the Hero and Henry being sold into slavery and just imagining how horrible that is, then his wife and children getting taken away from him, and then missing YEARS of his childrens' lives while being petrified. ;__; that part really, really got to me... watching the seasons pass and years go by... imagining how horribly sad, lonely and worried he was..

Edited by Jean

When you realize you have to go on a journey with Maribel.

The third island you go back in time to in DQ7, Dialac/Regenstein, is already ruined when you get there and there's nothing you can do to save the vast majority of the people there.

And the one living individual you find there before using the tears is not in a particularly positive state of mind.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

When you realize you have to go on a journey with Maribel.

And Yangus is going to make ME the necromancer in his Etrian Odyssey V party?
  • Upvote 1

Like, 60% of DQV.

The end of DQVI got to me as well.

There were other moments that got me sad but I'd say DQV (Pankraz, slavery, set in stone, Mada) and DQVI (Ashlynn) really got to me.