Sign in to follow this  
eal

Saddest moment in Dragon Quest history

What scene in any Dragon Quest game was the saddest in your eyes?

The saddest moment in DQ history to me is the scene in Dragon Quest VIII where you return to Trodain. It got to a point where my morale dropped so far that I just wanted to do what I had to do as quickly as possible and get the hell out of there. I couldn't stand being in Trodain, having to walk around and see its citizens frozen in place, and the depressing music certainly didn't help.

For me, the saddest moment was when DQ III hero got stuck in Alefgard.. the ending scene which says that after the celebrations he was gone made me think that he went off to live in a quiet hamlet away from Tantegel Castle, probably in Domdora or somewhere far. If i were him i would have done the same, since i can't stand celebrating after knowing that i can't go home anymore, and seeing my Father die in battle would only add to the misery as i would be thinking about my mom back home in Aliahan. :|

Another sad moment in DQ was

when Barbara faded away at the end of DQ VI. :( I mean, i wished she could've stayed but yeah, she didn't have a body in the real world.. too bad.. :(

Edited by Lord A-clan

So hard to choose.......

For me, Pankraz's death from V. I hadn't know the story of the game when I first played so I thought that "Pankraz will save the day!" and watching him defeat Rook and Bishop so easily I was really excited to see what would happen next. Then Ladja holds a scythe to the hero's throat... that was a hard moment to bear. Ladja's personality and words at that scene really just made it seem so cruel. Then having to watch that same Rook and Bishop slaughter Pankraz while he does nothing knowing any attack would only provoke Ladja. And Pankraz even sensed his death was near, telling his son about the secret he alone had burdened himself with since Mada's disappearance. Then Ladja cutting him off so abruptly with a single spell. That scene was a real tear-jerker for me.

When it comes to video game moments, I don't consider FF 7, sorry, it's Dragon Quest V. (mumble) So many people are gonna hate me for that... (I have played FF so it's not like I have video game discrimination)

Other scenes, Mada's death in V, the hero and his wife turned to stone in V, Alistair's death in VIII, Marta's death in VIII, chapter 5 beginning in Dragon Quest IV, Catarrhina's death in Dragon Quest IX, and Corvus and Serena in IX.

When it comes to video game moments, I don't consider FF 7, sorry, it's Dragon Quest V. (mumble) So many people are gonna hate me for that... (I have played FF so it's not like I have video game discrimination)

Now why did I forget to mention DQ V?! It is also one of the saddest DQ games, with so many hardships that the DQ V Hero struggled through and still made it to the happy ending. It gives us hope that no matter what we face in life, by persevering and believing we can also achieve that happy ending ;) ahh, the beauty of Dragon Quest games.... ;)

So hard to choose.......

For me, Pankraz's death from V. I hadn't know the story of the game when I first played so I thought that "Pankraz will save the day!" and watching him defeat Rook and Bishop so easily I was really excited to see what would happen next. Then Ladja holds a scythe to the hero's throat... that was a hard moment to bear. Ladja's personality and words at that scene really just made it seem so cruel. Then having to watch that same Rook and Bishop slaughter Pankraz while he does nothing knowing any attack would only provoke Ladja. And Pankraz even sensed his death was near, telling his son about the secret he alone had burdened himself with since Mada's disappearance. Then Ladja cutting him off so abruptly with a single spell. That scene was a real tear-jerker for me.

Other scenes, Mada's death in V, the hero and his wife turned to stone in V, Alistair's death in VIII, Marta's death in VIII, chapter 5 beginning in Dragon Quest IV, Catarrhina's death in Dragon Quest IX, and Corvus and Serena in IX.

Not just that part, the ENTIRE CUTSCENE was this for me, especially when the hero and Prince Harry are enslaved for ten years almost immedietly afterwards. Everything else you said definantly qualifies, although not as sad as that one part we mentioned earlier.

For me, its when you visit this one house in DQVII in the present and see a robot still taking care of its long dead master, who died alone.

People remember Pankraz death but they forget the transition to the last part is also incredibly sad, the hero had achieved the happiest moment in his live, he was married, became a king, reencountered Sancho and was about to become a father, but everything was crushed by that jerk Ladja once again. Becase of this your kids grew up withoud their parents by their side. The wife doesn't remeber what happened but the hero seemed to be aware of his condition during all those years (which itself is enough to drive anyone insane).

Psaro's story is very sad as well.

Edited by Billy MK

I have to agree with you there. In FF7 during the "sad moment" i was always wondering "Why didn't he just use a phoenix down? or even a cure spell?" It didn't make me sad, more confused if anything.

But for me, the saddest moments can pretty much be summed up as the hero's life in DQV. having his father killed in front of him, being forced into slavery, having his wife kidnapped, almost freeing her only to have them both turned to stone, missing out on watching his kids grow up, then finally watching his mom die.

Edited by Kalmana

For me, its when you visit this one house in DQVII in the present and see a robot still taking care of its long dead master, who died alone.

Reminds me of that one chicken-headed droid in Fragile Dreams that is worried that its "Princess" (a baby) doesn't smile anymore. Being a robot, he doesn't understand that she is dead.

As for the saddest moment, its either in DQVIII when I discovered the Hero's parent's graves, or when I beat DQVIII completely (main story) and realized that everything was over (not including post game extras). I literally cried in the ending scene. I was so overjoyed, I was sad.

I was also kind of moved by the whole Zere Rocks scene in Dragon Quest IX and the part involving Zere Rocks during the end credits.

Edited by eal

I forgot about this - terrible. Just. Terrible.

the transition to the last part is also incredibly sad, the hero had achieved the happiest moment in his live, he was married, became a king, reencountered Sancho and was about to become a father, but everything was crushed by that jerk Ladja once again. Becase of this your kids grew up withoud their parents by their side. The wife doesn't remeber what happened but the hero seemed to be aware of his condition during all those years (which itself is enough to drive anyone insane).

GEORGIE PORGIE....!

Sorry. Had to get that out of my system.

While that bit is sad, it's nowhere close to Papas's death.

In FF7 during the "sad moment" i was always wondering "Why didn't he just use a phoenix down? or even a cure spell?" It didn't make me sad, more confused if anything.

Phoenix Down recovers from K.O. status. I guess being skewered doesn't just reduce your HP to 0 and knock you out, it kills you outright.

Pankraz's death from V.

This, hands down, has to be the saddest moment in Dragon Quest history. There are plenty of other sad bits, but this stands out as the worst of them.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

GEORGIE PORGIE....!

I never got this pun. I thought a lot about it, but since english doesn't comes natural to me I couldn't figure this one out. What is the pun?

GEORGIE PORGIE....!

I never got this pun. I thought a lot about it, but since english doesn't comes natural to me I couldn't figure this one out. What is the pun?

It's an old nursery rhyme.

Georgie Porgie, Puddin' and Pie,

Kissed the girls and made them cry,

When the boys came out to play

Georgie Porgie ran away.

Georgie Porgie ran away.

Oh, I would never know. Since I've never heard it, it has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. Lucky! :butbut:

Georgie Porgie ran away.

Oh, I would never know. Since I've never heard it, it has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. Lucky! :butbut:

Now that you've read it you can never go back. :P

I found the ending of DQIV to be very sad; almost depressing. Note I am talking about the ORIGINAL ending, not the bonus ending that was added into the remakes. At the very end of the game, you find out that Psaro was simply being used by Aamon, who plotted Rose's death, and you are forced to watch him become a monstrosity that you have to put a stop to. There was no "Rose comes back to life and Psaro is saved from himself" scenario. Rose dies. Psaro dies. When I first beat the game, I honestly didn't feel like I "won" anything.

Now that you've read it you can never go back. :P

milesoofb.gif

I found the ending of DQIV to be very sad; almost depressing. Note I am talking about the ORIGINAL ending, not the bonus ending that was added into the remakes. At the very end of the game, you find out that Psaro was simply being used by Aamon, who plotted Rose's death, and you are forced to watch him become a monstrosity that you have to put a stop to. There was no "Rose comes back to life and Psaro is saved from himself" scenario. Rose dies. Psaro dies. When I first beat the game, I honestly didn't feel like I "won" anything.

I agree with you. The Dragon revived Cynthia, he could at least revive Rose too. Speaking of that, Cynthia's death is another sad moment. The hero had to fight knowing that she died because of him. Hayadain's song about her transmits this idea very well.

Edited by Billy MK

Just play through all the stories in Dragon Quest VII if ya want really sad stories.

All the Dragon Quest games have some form of sadness in all of them, that's one of the reasons I love the series. And how Horii brings the stories in the game. It's not all 'in your face' It usually has the happy charming feel yet during times of events becomes very mature for those brief minutes. It's why I think the Dragon Quest series can easily please us older players but also young kids :D

Edited by Kirby Slime

Just play through all the stories in Dragon Quest VII if ya want really sad stories.

All the Dragon Quest games have some form of sadness in all of them, that's one of the reasons I love the series. And how Horii brings the stories in the game. It's not all 'in your face' It usually has the happy charming feel yet during times of events becomes very mature for those brief minutes. It's why I think the Dragon Quest series can easily please us older players but also young kids :D

Yes, all those + All the sad V scenarios+ III ending did it for me.

I never beat I and II so I wouldn't know any from those (lost my copy before I beat them). And I never played IV, VI, or VIII.

Georgie Porgie ran away.

I've spent my whole 32 years an English speaker, and I never heard that one either.

Georgie Porgie ran away.

I've spent my whole 32 years an English speaker, and I never heard that one either.

My mom used to read me nursery rhymes out of a big book when I was younger. You guys must've lived deprived childhoods.

Just kiddin'.

For me, the saddest moment was definitely in DQ IV when Cynthia disguised herself to be the hero, and went and sacrificed herself. It was so powerful to me, it didn't even need visuals. All you see is her taking your form, going out to face the villains, then you hear the fight, followed by the villains happily proclaiming that they've killed the hero. Dead silence afterwards, and your village is toast.

The only scene in DQ that I can recall being extremely sad about was Dragon Quest 6's ending. DQ5's scenes were sad and had me feel emotional, as well as some of dq7's scenes, but never enough to make me think over and over about them. DQ6's ending felt so wrong... I don't wish to talk much about it since I know many haven't played it, but I'll say it made me feel about as upset as I was when I first beat Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue. Seriously, not what I expected from a children's video game.

Many scenes from DQV. Pankraz's death, the slavery, being turned to stone, and the mother's death after about 20 years of searching for her.

And DQIV, where the town sacrificed themselves to save the hero.

I would also add the fall of Zenithia as one of the saddest moments, this is in DQ V. I don't know, i mean, that whole business of Zenithia falling from the sky did have a great effect on Master Dragon, since his attitude towards humans changed alot. Plus, It kinda unhinged something in him, since he become more of a quirky weird dude (Dr. Agon!) and less formal than in DQ IV, though he still does have that formality. Probably because he thinks he failed (Almost) in watching over the world. Maybe it's just me but i really pitied the Zenith Dragon here.