Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JessicaAlbert13

Dai manga references in game

I started reading the Dragon Quest Dai manga this summer. I still haven't finished it yet, about one hundred chapters left to go (and that's on chapter 214!)

I'm a huge fan of this series now! I absolutely love the story and characters! But I'd like to see the manga added to the games list.

So I was wondering since the manga started, has there ever been any secret references to Dai in the games? Pop's outfit would be a great addition to Dragon Quest IX. It seems Dragon Quest V could've referenced the manga by giving the monsters similar names to some of the manga characters (Gome for a slime, for example).

I know the manga's creator isn't a big name like Toriyama or Horii, but the manga is on rival with the games! The manga uses the first three Dragon Quest games, the Loto series, as its inspiration. Monsters, weapons, even character designs are present. The similarities seem to end at Dragon Quest III. Crocodine, a crocodile-beast warrior, looks very similar to Dragon Quest V's King Korol. I rather like Crocodine's character, and it would be cool to see a game that features a humanoid monster joining the hero in story (Amos from VI...? But he's cursed and looks like a poodle-dragon). In all the Dragon Quest games I've played there's never been a reference to the manga at all. Avan's character does look a bit like the scholars that show up in VIII though... The Demon Lord Vearn makes a lot of chess references describing his battle with Dai and on the DS version of DQ V the entire Order of Zugzwang is a reference to the game of chess. I guess only the Japanese would get any Dai references, even though the manga was also released in French and Spanish (leaving English in the dust!)

Dragon Quest Loto trilogy, then the Heaven/Zenithian trilogy... it'd be nice if there was a Dai trilogy of games. I want to see Pop and Hyunkel in action...

Anyways, my question is, have the games ever mentioned the Dai manga at all?

Almost all of the original attacks and spells have made it into the DQ games. Gigaslash, Mahoimi, Medoroa, Grandcross, Kaihazan, are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Really?! Some of the attacks and spells originated in the manga?! I wonder if the manga creator gets paid credit now whenever they use the spells in the new games!

But I just noticed something... Princess Flora of Carl, her name's the same as the fan-translated name for Nera. For some reason after seeing Princess Flora I lost some of my Bianca zest and wish the hero had married Nera (who I now wish they'd kept Flora for the DS version).

But Shinigami-sama, Death-vearn, it'd be cool if he ever appeared as a villan in the game! He'd be way more awesome than DarkDream! Death-vearn and Pop have totally taken my heart in the manga!

I would be shocked if they paid Inada or Sanjyou for the use of the spells. It really is just a homage and an easter egg of sorts for the fans. (On that note, check out

youtube video of all of the uses of Medoroa in the DQ games)

Both DQV Flora and Dai Flora showed up around the same time so it is hard to know if there is any relation between them. Though the both can use whips as weapons. Other than that though there isn't much alike between them.

Did they call Kill-Vearn Death-Vearn in the fan translation? That is odd. It was strange enough that they called Maam, Marm! In this day and age where they are coming out with a new Ruronia Kenshin game, and they are making a Sailor Moon game in Italy (I think it was) it would be cool if they went back and made a Dai game.

I have the Dragon Quest Dai manga too!!Story and characters are very good in my opinion (and I'm stopped at the 11th tankobon actually,although I've this manga since 2002).

Too bad that the anime stopped at Baran :( Anyway,if I remember right,only the monster design became to Toriyama,the rest is all to the talented authors Riku Sanjo and Koji Inada ;)

Princess Flora of Carl, her name's the same as the fan-translated name for Nera. For some reason after seeing Princess Flora I lost some of my Bianca zest and wish the hero had married Nera (who I now wish they'd kept Flora for the DS version).

Can I ask why you're calling it "fan-translated"? Flora is not a "fan-translated" name, it's her name. They just called her Nera in the American version for the unnecessary sake of making puns between her and Bianca. (Black and white in Italian.)

That's a...thing people do. Apparently if you create something, it doesn't count unless it's been translated and officially released in your territory.

The name we hear or read first is usually the one that sticks in our mind. I know almost all the name variations but I pick the names that sound better to me. I always use Flora, but since Papas sounds ridiculous in portuguese so I refer to him as Pankraz (which isn't all that better anyway).

I would be shocked if they paid Inada or Sanjyou for the use of the spells. It really is just a homage and an easter egg of sorts for the fans. (On that note, check out

youtube video of all of the uses of Medoroa in the DQ games)

Wasn't Horii actually working in Dai as an advisor? He could be the one who had to approve any spells and names, I guess. He may even have had some of the ideas.

On that video, mehyado was the most like the way Pop threw medoroa. But, apparently, this time it is just an ice spell.

Wasn't Horii actually working in Dai as an advisor? He could be the one who had to approve any spells and names, I guess. He may even have had some of the ideas.

On that video, mehyado was the most like the way Pop threw medoroa. But, apparently, this time it is just an ice spell.

Yeah Horii was listed as adviser, but who know what he really did.

The Mehyado is still a flame/ice spell. You can see the flame in one hand and the ice in the other. Actually, since Pop couldn't do Mahyado, maybe he was only doing the equivalent to Mehaydo ^_^

*sigh* I say FAN-TRANSLATED BECAUSE HER REAL NAME IN THE JAPANESE GAME EITHER HAS AN "i" ADDED TO IT LIKE FLORIA or sometimes FOIARA. I spend a lotta time on Japanese sites and EVEN THE JAPANESE FANS MESS UP HER NAME. I don't own a copy of the real Japanese game which is why I use the term 'fan translated' AND IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT HER REAL JAPANESE NAME then get a Japanese keyboard. I'm currently in the market!

Way to go off on the subject of the post....

*ahem*

Yes, I do love the manga. It is a shame there's not a Dragon Quest Dai game. I've seen figures of the characters for sale though. Never a true offically released game.

As for who came up with the spell names... perhaps the manga creators and the game creators collaborated.

*sigh* I say FAN-TRANSLATED BECAUSE HER REAL NAME IN THE JAPANESE GAME EITHER HAS AN "i" ADDED TO IT LIKE FLORIA or sometimes FOIARA. I spend a lotta time on Japanese sites and EVEN THE JAPANESE FANS MESS UP HER NAME. I don't own a copy of the real Japanese game which is why I use the term 'fan translated' AND IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT HER REAL JAPANESE NAME then get a Japanese keyboard. I'm currently in the market!

That's just a romanization issue, her name is indeed Flora. When using foreign words, japanese have especial trouble with the /l/ sound. Oh, and there's no reason to get so worked up about it, this is a forum, it's a place for discussion and opinion, nobody is trying to correct anyone.

No worries, I'm not worked up. You don't want to see me when I'm actually angry or a bit peeved. :tounge2:

I'm just self-studying Japanese myself, as college sign up is not for another month and I've already sent in my application.

As for that Japanese............

WHY WASN'T THE DAI MANGA RELEASED IN ENGLISH ANYWAYS?!!

The sound of most Japanese letters consist of a consonant and a vowel. Sa-shi-su-se-so, for example. In Japanese, Flora is フローラ. Fu-ro-long vowel-ra. Pretty easy to translate. People adding an I is probably an Engrish mistake. Even the official guides have their share.

If you want Dai in English, go buy Beat: The Vandal Buster from Viz. Pretty much the same thing.

Nooooo *whine* It's not Dragon Quest with Pop and Marm and Hyunkel......

On the subject of learning Japanese, where did you learn yours Mr. Dwaine, if you don't mind me asking? Sorry, I call older men "mister" and "sir" as a formal thing if you want me to stop just say so. I'm use to having to use those titles in RL.

A loooong time ago. Know basic vocabulary and sentence structure. Seeing as how you see so much Katakana working with DQ, that's what sticks with me the most. That and it's the easiest to translate because it's all foreign words spelled out by sound. My Kanji is extremely limited.

I know romaji, but when it comes to the characters... I haven't touched them yet. Still getting basic stuff down. Spanish was the only second language elective taught at my high school and the colleges that are willing to accept me don't offer anything BUT Spanish. I'm trying to sign up for a Japanese class way out in another town. It's sad that the colleges that do offer Japanese are way far....

Sigh. If only I could just buy the manga and a Japanese person to translate it for me. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if the Dragon Quest Dai manga is on sale.

I did buy the "Warriors of Eden" manga. Only the first 14. I've heard rumor of a book 15 and 16 though. Dai manga is the only completed fan translation done of any DQ manga that I know of. I would also like to see the Loto manga as the artwork is done by the same creator of the Warriors of Eden series.

Dai is still the best, through and through. That I am certain of!

I think I recall someone saying Lump Mage having the highest possible total max stats in Joker was reference to the one from the Manga.

I haven't gotten to far in the Manga myself. But I remember the Lump Mage being a mentor.

Yup, the Lump mage Jii-san raised Dai. Dai washed up on the monster's island in a cradle with the letters "D..i" carved into it so Jii-san named him Dai.

I have to second the recommendation for Beet the Vandel Buster. The manga is kind of like a polished version of Dai (though I do like Dai better). The main problem with it is it is on seemingly permanent hiatus due to Inada being sick and then Monthly Shounen Jump collapsing. If it had continued it may have gotten better than Dai, but as an incomplete story (that ends on a cliff hanger) it still had a long way to go. Beet, Paula, and Kiss (Viz translated the name differently but I don't recall the romanization they choose,) might not be Dai, Maam, and Pop, but they are great characters as well.

I imagine Dai has never been licensed because both Shueisha (Jump) and Square Enix likely have control over it. So the licensing situation is probably a little hard to manage. If you want Dai in Japanese there are a number of ways that you can pick it up, depending on where you live. If you have a Book Off near you they can be purchased used there. If you ever studied French they recently finished up releasing a good translation of the manga. My mother picked the first three volumes up recently to practice her French and from the parts she read and translated to me it seemed to be a pretty faithful translation. It even leaves Avan's silly English in English ^_^

P.S. You don't have to be Japanese to read and understand Japanese. Michi and I have both studied the language for a number of years and have studied abroad there as well. It can be upsetting when people who haven't devoted as much time to the language discount what we say based on limited Japanese knowledge.

I don't live near a "Book Off." But I do live near a "Book Nara" but never have been inside. My friends just tell me it's a travel agency and I don't go that often to the Asian side of my town because it's so far away and a long drive.

Michi and I have both studied the language for a number of years and have studied abroad there as well. It can be upsetting when people who haven't devoted as much time to the language discount what we say based on limited Japanese knowledge.

I can testify how I have relied on both (more often on Mimas, though, and also on a friend from Spain who lives in Japan) as sources for Japanese. My trust on them is high, because I know they would tell me when they were not certain about something, and explain any reasoning they would have done to reach the point they're currently at.

Jess, no need to start shouting to anyone. Especially at those two girls who would sooner offer help than attack you.

I apologize if my messages come off as rude. I just use ALL CAPS to make a point or spell out something important. I write long messages and use ALL CAPS to get a reader who is skimming over something to focus on. (I don't use emoti-cons or quoting often as I am not use to using them.)

That's a little trick and jargon I picked up from my French, Spanish, and Chinese buddies. CAPS.

I am just beginning to study Japanese and I'm really only familar with well-known otaku jargon so far along with snipets I pick up in manga. I use 'fan-translated' more than 'original Japanese name' as I always seem to find the Japanese website that spells "Flora" as "Floira" and "Milayou" as "Mileyou."

I find the Dragon Quest manga a perfect learning tool. The manga, while not in English offically, was released in Spanish and French. In America, Spanish is offered as a second language credit in EVERY SCHOOL IN THE COUNTRY. Southern US, Spanish and English mix together in just basic day-to-day conversation, making Spanglish. I know Spanish and some French just from grade school classes so reading the Spanish and French version of Dragon Quest manga is easier than attempting the Japanese original. I have now began translating the original Japanese work myself little by little.

As a beginner's helper I often use these manga as a tool:

~Lucky Star (the MANGA not anime, the manga has great translator's notes)

~Dragon Half (only found in English online, takes place in a fantasy JRPG setting. There are references to Japanese culture along with Mario, Zelda, and DQ. Actually, Loto and the Mirror of Ra appear in the manga as puns.)

~ANYTHING BY AKIRA TORIYAMA (Sandland is my fav manga of his so far, asides from Dragon Ball of course)

I myself have 14 volumes of the Dragon Quest: Warriors of Eden manga and use that to help me in Japanese class. The kana used in it is very simple and easy to pick up.

Well, if it helps, nobody knows how to translate ミレーユ. It has been Mirēyu, Mileyu, Milayou, Muriel, and Mirelle.

To this day, it remains one of life's great mysteries.

Well, if it helps, nobody knows how to translate ミレーユ. It has been Mirēyu, Mileyu, Milayou, Muriel, and Mirelle.

To this day, it remains one of life's great mysteries.

Also, I tried translating it with Bing and I got Miley.