A Few Slime Hill Observations...

Brew78

From the GameFAQs topic:

Datamined by Terence:

The chance of surprising the enemy is equal to the following:

Party Chance = 2% + [Party's Highest Deftness / 20]

And the chance of the enemy surprising you if equal to:

Enemy Chance = 2%

If you run into an enemy whilst facing each other, then your chance to surprise them takes priority. Only if you fail to get the surprise attack will they have a chance to surprise you.

If you run into an enemy's back, then you get a 10% bonus to your chance (so a 22% chance would become a 32% chance), and also, the enemy will not be able to surprise you. With someone with 999 Deftness in your party, you will have a maximum chance of 51% to surprise them normally, and 61% if you run into them from behind.

If an enemy runs into your back, then you will be unable to surprise them at all, and their chance of surprising you increases to 12%.

Ah, ok. Wasn't sure if it was simply a case of "you didn't startle them" or if direction mattered. Good info, thanks!

Also...

If you give the martial artist's scroll to a character, they can carry over any tension they gained from the last fight they were in, minus one boost (ie, if your tension was at 100, it will be 50 when you enter a new battle) but also provided you stayed in the same area (at least, that's what the description says). When your tension is at 50, a metal-damaging move can do 4-8 damage instead of 1-2, which can be very handy in killing an LMS

...you're definitely getting credit in my guide! I just did some boomerang testing and since I finished leveling a Martial Artist to 40 and got the scroll (good lord do I hate waiting for normal random crits) I did some Tension tests too.

Did a Recharge Round after killing a LMS and there were still a bunch of junk slimes around; M-Pathied from my Mage to my Hero who Psyched Up to 100 tension.

Next LMS spawn was 2 LMS and 3 Healslimes (the high-HP red ones). Let loose a Metalicker and did 8 damage to each LMS, kill-damage to the Healslimes.

Waiting on a spawn of 5 LMS to see how a larger damage distribution would go, but it certainly seems like a valid tactic.

Takes some time to set up and can be a hassle if you keep getting spawns of only 1 or 2 LMS, but I'm certainly including a Tension section in the guide.

Now that I got the emulator set up and working with characters that are sort of like my own, maybe I'll just use a savestate post-Tensioning to keep trying for a 5-spawn...

Now that I got the emulator set up and working with characters that are sort of like my own, maybe I'll just use a savestate post-Tensioning to keep trying for a 5-spawn...

Glad to hear it all worked for you. And that would be totally awesome to see.

...you're definitely getting credit in my guide! I just did some boomerang testing and since I finished leveling a Martial Artist to 40 and got the scroll (good lord do I hate waiting for normal random crits) I did some Tension tests too.

Glad I could help, yo, though I honestly wouldn't've ever thought of tension if I never read that FAQ regarding its use in DQVIII. That guide was very clear on the potency of sticking with hunting MKSs in the Dragon Graveyard.

But yeah, I wanna say Metalicker against a group of LMSs should produce similar results. While the damage drops with normal enemies as they are hit, I think it stays consistent with Metalicker since it's almost like a Metal Slash per target, at least when the target in question is a metal monster. That is to say, I believe an LMS at the end of the line is just as likely to take the same damage as the first one (which means, if tension is at 50, either could take 4 or 8 damage, which would probably hold true for all LMSs in between, though I have no evidence for this beyond what's in my Swiss-cheesy memory.

I've been lurking here since the fall and I hadn't seen this added in here, but another method for hunting LMS's on Slime Hill is to use the Attribeauty. I've been going with only two party members equipped with Attribeauty and using Fan Dango. It's as effective as the Metal Slime Spear but you always go first. Thus, if you can sneak up on the LMS, you get four attacks in before they even have a chance to run.

Tried out the tension thing last night with Fan Dango and it was effective as well. Delivered 8 damage to each LMS that it hit.

Huh! I didn't even know the attribeauty had that quality. Would've been nice if they mentioned that in its description instead of just saying it has 'untold powers'. Blegh.

But that actually sounds superior to Multi-Thrust, because I think Fan Dango always hits 4 times, as opposed to MT's 3-4 chances. I might be wrong, though.

Huh! I didn't even know the attribeauty had that quality. Would've been nice if they mentioned that in its description instead of just saying it has 'untold powers'. Blegh.

But that actually sounds superior to Multi-Thrust, because I think Fan Dango always hits 4 times, as opposed to MT's 3-4 chances. I might be wrong, though.

Not always - usually 3-4. I've had the odd two, but that's rare. The key thing is that you always go first ahead of the slimes.

I knew that tension affected metals, but never thought to use the Martial Artist scroll, since I never leveled one up to 40 to get it :) Seemed kind of pointless to try to build up to 50 or 100 tension every round, just to have them all run away before you could get any hits in!

I don't know what attribeauty is (need to look it up) but there is indeed some kind of.. I dunno, "tiers"(?) of damage done to metal slimes that seems to hold true amongst all of them.

A Tension 50 attack, whether Metalicker or Multithrust will always do 4x damage to the metals, whether it be a regular, Medley, or LM. Which is to say, it does 4 or 8 damage, or a miss, regardless of what order they're hit. Had a spawn earlier of 3 LMS and 2 Medleys, and the damage spread on Metalicker was 4, 8, 4, 8, 4. Or vice versa, I forget exactly.. just that it alternated between all of them.

I had a surprise attack where I did an Egg On + Psyche Up to get one guy to 20 Tension, and on the second round, his MultiThrust did 2 damage on every hit. I'm not sure if that means it does 2x damage on every hit and I'd otherwise have only done 1, or if its some kind of fractional multiplier that didn't reach past 2.5 to round up to 3.

Got more testing to do, I guess. I sort of gave up when I went through two full castings of Vanish without seeing a LMS!

The attribeauty is a fan, I believe. It looks sorta paddle/club-like in its picture, and is black in color with some gold (might have sun and moon markings, I think). I think I got mine when they were selling rares over the DQVC.

As for the damage tiers with tension, I believe they go like this (when using a metal attack)

No tension = 1 - 2

Tension 5 = 1 - 3

Tension 20 = 2 - 4

Tension 50 = 4 - 8

Tension 100 = Not sure

If the pattern is to be followed, though, one could assume that tension at 100 might do 8 - 16, but this in not confirmed, just guessing. I think I've only hit 100 once in all the times I've hunted metals, and that one time wasn't distinct enough for me to remember it. Sorry 'bout that.

I hit two LMS with a 100 tension Metalicker yesterday, and it did 6 damage to both of them.

Whatever the math is between defense and Metal Hit attacks, its starting to look like it winds up following a multiplier-like model for damage output.

0 Tension = 1x multiplier, 1 or 2 damage

5 Tension = 1.5x multiplier, 1 or 3 damage (1.5 truncates to 1?)

20 Tension = 2x multiplier, 2 or 4 damage

50 Tension = 4x multiplier, 4 or 8 damage

100 Tension = 6x multiplier, 6 or 12 damage

This isn't confirmed yet, as I haven't had a 12 dmg hit, but there does seem to be a pattern here..

/edit

Also, I tested Attribeauty with Fan Dango and it does indeed behave identical to Metal Slime Spear + Multithrust

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I guess its confirmed! Had a spawn last night with a Sneak Attack against three LMS and two Medleys. Did a Psyche Up and hit 100 Tension. LMS #1 was killed by other party members due to Round 1 damage but, the other four got hit with a Tension 100 Metalicker and they took 12 damage across the board!

So it would appear that the Tension multiplier table is indeed legit :)

I think I'm going to spend some time today cutting together the video I've been taking.. I think the path that makes the most sense is to do a series of mini-guides that tie together into one large one, each with an accompanying video; make a YouTube playlist or something.

I've learned a lot lately doing LMS farming with the whole party since one level 99 Paladin and a party ranging from 50's to 70's is apparently not enough to beat an 80's level grotto Greygnarl. Which is the ONLY map I've found so far that's been a Silver, to continue my questline!

Kinda cool :P 100 tension allows damage greater than 1 on these metal enemies, so if you have a Martial Artist's Scroll and a 100 tension got saved from a previous battle then it's likely you can kill LMS and KMS in 1 round! :)

Kinda cool :P 100 tension allows damage greater than 1 on these metal enemies, so if you have a Martial Artist's Scroll and a 100 tension got saved from a previous battle then it's likely you can kill LMS and KMS in 1 round! :)

But good look storing all that tension before they run away.

That's what the Martial Artist scroll is for. Pick a fight with some Kingslimes (since they don't run away), or use War Cry on regular slimes with whoever doesn't have the scroll (since they do run away), and boost Tension to 100 then flee.

You drop one level in between rounds, so you can either attack with 50 at the next LMS spawn, or if you get a sneak attack you can try boosting up to 100.

That's what the Martial Artist scroll is for. Pick a fight with some Kingslimes (since they don't run away), or use War Cry on regular slimes with whoever doesn't have the scroll (since they do run away), and boost Tension to 100 then flee.

You drop one level in between rounds, so you can either attack with 50 at the next LMS spawn, or if you get a sneak attack you can try boosting up to 100.

That sounds useful. Too bad I don't have a matial artist in my party.

Archived