A Few Slime Hill Observations...

Brew78

Hi! Been doing a bit of level grinding lately and would like to share some of my observations, some of which I haven't seen explicitly explained in any of the FAQ's or forums posts I've read. I do apologize if the stuff in this post is considered common knowledge, but I haven't read the whole intarweb yet. :)

• First off, I just gotta stress that you should always have Vanish active when hunting slimes. They don't see you, they don't run away and despawn. If you don't have it, get it. I mean, you're power leveling with MS anyway, whats an extra 10 minutes of your life?

• Second, you don't actually have to run around on Slime Hill. If you walk all the way left so that you're at the triangle point against the cliff wall, its just outside the distance radius required to activate the spawn point on the right side of the screen. Simply stand there and wait a bit, and you'll see a slime spawn. After a few moments, it will walk to the right and another will spawn. I think they walk outside active range and despawn, because they keep coming, much like the spot near the stairs to the bottom floor of The Bowhole. Except Bowhole never had a spawn of five LMS :)

/edit/ Here's a video I finally made:

/edit2/ Huh.. auto-embed? That's a cool forum feature! All I put in was a link to the video

They do spawn into the tall grass where you can't see them unless they're a King or Cureslime, so you have to pay attention to the spawn animation. MS and LMS look pretty similar, but the MS bounces when it lands, the LMS doesn't. Also, the MS falls a bit faster and looks a little thinner than the LMS.

Sometimes you have to wait quite awhile for a LMS to show up, sometimes you get several in a row. But at least the spawn rate is relatively fast so you're always getting new chances. If you get bored you can take a couple laps around the hill to get all the spawns active, just park yourself back at the same spot when you're done.

• Next thing - Multithrust! After Metal Slime Week on DQVC awhile back, I bet a lot of people now have Metal Slime Spears, which include the Metal Hit property. If there's only one or two LMS remaining in your battle, start spamming Multithrust and trade the 50/50 chance of a crit for near-guaranteed hits at 1-2 damage per hit, each with its own natural crit chance. Meteorite Bracers help you get first attack, which is important with the running-away thing they like to do.

I usually hunt with two in my party, so that's 8-16 damage output per round, plus crits, minus misses. Its actually a pretty good group makeup. The fewer people in the party, the faster you can level the Hero (Revocations), but the more people in the party, the more likely you are to actually kill a LMS before it runs away. Plus, I have two MSSp from DQVC.

You can try spamming MT the whole round, but depending on how many enemies there are, spreading out the damage too much can really backfire. I usually consider it better to try for the TT crit - at least if you hit you know you're getting the kill instead of a runaway.

• Final thing - Wearing mana regen stuff helps. Just keep holding "left" while waiting for a spawn and your MP will continue to increase, even if you're not really going anywhere. You can hit "X" now and then to see if you're full.

If you can wear non-accessory mana regen stuff, that's ideal since you can then wear Meteorite Bracers. If you need to wear a Goddess Ring for mana regen, you can swap them back when you see a good spwan. They won't have gotten far if they're not there when you get back to the game.. they'll have either gone northeast where they're in the open, or they went southeast, where they'll be still in the tall grass. Just walk due east and if you don't see the LMS in the clearing to the north, run at the thing in the shrubbery.

/edit: Don't do the following, I forgot that the menu screen removes the character from the game so you can't get attacked, but the result is spawns start up again
    To avoid something like a regular Blue Slime spawning at the location you've been watching and running into that accidentally, run to the right a little, almost up to the LMS, before entering the Equip menu. You'll be inside the spawn point's cancel range and nothing more will spawn. And it won't even run away, since you're wearing Vanish!

That's it, I think. Hopefully it'll be useful to some of you. Its about all I've been doing lately, trying to level my Hero back up (revocated once) so I can try for a Silver map. COMPLETELY stalled out on the Story quests, I just can't get a damn Silver map. Got plenty of Platinums and every other mineral below Silver, just can't seem to find the one I need!

/edit/

Here's some extra stuff from a subsequent post:

• If anyone in your party can use Spiked Armor or other damage reflect gear, its worth equipping. If it activates when attacked by a LMS, it'll do 1 damage (maybe 2, haven't seen it yet), which could very well be a killshot.

• I didn't mention Mercury Bandannas, but its worth wearing. That extra 20 Agility can make the difference between first attack and a runaway, even on top of a Meteorite Bracer.

• If the only mana regen gear you have is only usable by a magic user, like certain hats or footwear, then you can still run around to charge up, but if your Melee class starts to run low on mana, just engage in a battle with any random slime you see and use "Share MP" a couple times then flee. Or kill them. Whatever. You'll get like 75 exp. Its in the Paladin skill tree, which is worth maxing with everyone in your party anyway for the extra HP and whatnot.

• If you still have Alchemy to do and could use some Mini-Medals, don't forget that Hermany and the EXTERMINATE quest is a short train ride to the west and a little south. Its the house on top of the hill, south of Swinedimples. In the bookcase is a repeatable quest that requires you kill three or more regular Metal Slimes in one battle, three times. Its repeatable, with a reward of a Mini-Medal.

• Multi-hit attacks only benefit from Metal Slime Weapons if the weapon is actually used. I've tried a few of them, and special attacks usually miss. "Have a Ball" does in fact attack a bunch of times, but I rarely get more than two or sometimes three MetalSlime hits from it. Its on par with Metal Slash with a Falcon Sword, but I'd stick with the MS/FS since you can concentrate the two hits on one slime instead of the random spread of HaB.

Wow! great stuff man! thanks a lot! hunting at the bowhole was getting way too tedious for me so I figured there was some better way.

nice one :) im going to try that triangle point thing you mentioned :)

btw, aside from the multi-thrust technique, for spears i use the Thunder Thrust which deals crits and is useful and great for soloing slimes if you're lucky, since it has a 50% chance to miss :) The Axe counterpart, Hatchet Man, is also very useful.. provided that you have enough agility so the Metal Slimes wouldn't escape :P

Nice work and thanks for the information. I was trying to find a good spawn point. Will give this a try. BTW I prefer using the MT rather than the TT. I have more luck with it. :overjoyed2:

:) well as they say, Each to his own.

I also have another way of killing Metals, using a Uber Falcon Sword and either Metal Slashing them or Falcon Slashing them. Probably not as useful as MT, but for me this worked wonders too :)

in addition to multithrust with the MSS, you can also use Falcon Slash while equipping the Falcon (or Uber) Falcon Sword and get up to 4 hits on them in addition to critical hits.

oops... sorry, Clan, didnt read yours lol great minds think alike

If I'm low on MP I'll use Multi-Thrust instead of Thunder Thrust, but I don't use the MKSpear, I use the Demon Spear.

Thanks this will be great help! :)

I think TT is better on low levels, since you´re less likely to do any damage with MT. Later MT is better though.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! This will assist in my happy slime hunting!! :overjoyed2:

Remember, my whole strategy is based on being equipped with Metal Slime Spears. That's why MultiThrust is so valuable, the hits actually connect. Its real easy to get 8 damage with even just two people (you can do it with one if you get four 2's), so you're almost guaranteed a kill.

That's a much higher chance of success than two TT's in a row.

And that's only if you're confident you can kill however many LMS are still alive, given the number of people in your party. If the damage spread looks too high, go for the TT crits. I'd never try for 3 LMS with two in my party, for example. You probably won't get any kills, but you'll likely get runaways - its better to get a 50/50 shot at a kill first.

Also, I'm glad it sounds like this stuff is still helpful. I usually get into a game after its already been out for a long time and everyone already knows everything about it!

Im going to point out another helpful skill for those who don't have the metal slime spear: have a ball. It is a minstrel skill that attacks with a lot of hits (8?). It is a great alternative for TT/MT if you have enough MP (8 per use).

Thanks for the info, this will be quite the help.

For me I always used Multi-thrust 'cuz I figured it was the best thing to use. But now that I know the new techniques, I'm gonna go murder some slimes and thier families. And just for fun, I might take a straw and sip at thier liquid remains after I'm done with them.

I tells you, spawns of multiple LMS has a certain rage-factor to it too.

Spawn of four LMS, one Kingslime last night

Round one: two missed TT, one runaway

Round two: two missed TT, one runaway

Round three: two MT with several misses and minimal slime damage, moderate damage to kingslime, one runaway

Round four: minimal slime damage with one MT, runaway before second MT

Round fi-*power off*

Thanks for telling me about the spawn point. I was always running around, and often missing LMSs in the tall grass.

I tells you, spawns of multiple LMS has a certain rage-factor to it too.

Spawn of four LMS, one Kingslime last night

Round one: two missed TT, one runaway

Round two: two missed TT, one runaway

Round three: two MT with several misses and minimal slime damage, moderate damage to kingslime, one runaway

Round four: minimal slime damage with one MT, runaway before second MT

Round fi-*power off*

Patience, young Padawan :overjoyed2:yeah sometimes all that stuff happens. Just not your lucky day. Probably the next day you'll be luckier :D

Patience, young Padawan :overjoyed2:yeah sometimes all that stuff happens. Just not your lucky day. Probably the next day you'll be luckier :D

Heh, I'd already been at it for awhile, fairly unsuccessfully I might add. You're right, wasn't my night.

I wasn't too worried about powering off; I leave my DS on most of the time in standby but it always autosaves when downloading DQVC.

I did subsequently manage to kill four in one battle which got my higher level guy over 100k exp, lower level guy over 50k, so that was nice. Battle after that I got three. Its really variable but overall I think faster than Bowhole.

So there's a few other things to note that I forgot to mention, will add these to the OP.

• If anyone in your party can use Spiked Armor or other damage reflect gear, its worth equipping. If it activates when attacked by a LMS, it'll do 1 damage (maybe 2, haven't seen it yet), which could very well be a killshot.

• I don't think I mentioned Mercury Bandannas, but its worth wearing. That extra 20 Agility can make the difference between first attack and a runaway, even on top of a Meteorite Bracer.

• If the only mana regen gear you have is only usable by a magic user, like certain hats or footwear, then you can still run around to charge up, but if your Melee class starts to run low on mana, just engage in a battle with any random slime you see and use "Share MP" a couple times then flee. Or kill them. Whatever. You'll get like 75 exp. Its in the Paladin skill tree, which is worth maxing with everyone in your party anyway for the extra HP and whatnot.

• If you still have Alchemy to do and could use some Mini-Medals, don't forget that Hermany and the EXTERMINATE quest is a short train ride to the west and a little south. Its the house on top of the hill, south of Swinedimples. In the bookcase is a repeatable quest that requires you kill three or more regular Metal Slimes in one battle, three times. Its repeatable, with a reward of a Mini-Medal.

• Multi-hit attacks only benefit from Metal Slime Weapons if the weapon is actually used. I've tried a few of them, and special attacks usually miss. "Have a Ball" does in fact attack a bunch of times, but I rarely get more than two or sometimes three MetalSlime hits from it. Its on par with Metal Slash with a Falcon Sword, but I'd stick with the MS/FS since you can concentrate the two hits on one slime instead of the random spread of HaB.

Time sure flies... anyway, I might have some extra info that can help here.

I think it was started in DQVIII, but psyching up can also boost the damage dealt by metal-specific attacks. If you give the martial artist's scroll to a character, they can carry over any tension they gained from the last fight they were in, minus one boost (ie, if your tension was at 100, it will be 50 when you enter a new battle) but also provided you stayed in the same area (at least, that's what the description says). When your tension is at 50, a metal-damaging move can do 4-8 damage instead of 1-2, which can be very handy in killing an LMS (I usually use this for metal king slimes, though). If you're REALLY lucky, you could potentially kill 4 LMSs this way, assuming Multi-Thrust hits 4 times instead of 3, all attacks did 8 instead of 4 and didn't miss/get dodged, and nothing stupid would be going on with the LMSs HP (I honestly don't know how much they have, but I usually imagine in the range of 7). Additionally, if you run into a big group of them, you could also try Metalicker, a Boomerang technique, that could be used to attempt to hit all of them (and also pick off any nuisances that MT might target instead).

Some might find this a bit time consuming, though, especially since an LMS encounter might pop up just as one would run into a separate fight to build up tension (I go for the king slimes). The strategy is probably better suited for metal kings, but it could definitely work here, I wanna say. If you don't want to build the tension up in a previous fight, or lack the scroll that would enable you to carry most of it to another battle, you could also attempt it if you get a surprise attack. If your attacker isn't the lead, they can use Psyche Up while the leader uses Egg On (when tension is at 20, I believe metal attacks do 2-4 damage). If you're in multiplayer, you can have one person psyche up and the other three egg them on in an attempt to hit 100 (though it might just stay at 50).

That much is all probably Metal Hunting 101, though, so sorry if I was just repeating stuff ya'll are already aware of. I usually hunt MKSs in grottoes these days, and when I do I have three character use MT, one psyched up with a metal king spear and the other two using demon spears for the mixed chances of critical hits and instant KOs.

That's pretty good info, actually - thanks!

Seems that this sort of thing would fit pretty well into a "recharge round" that I do sometimes.

Generally I'm fighting in a 2-person party, and since my Hero is a Paladin (being the only one that can Egg On, I figure he's better suited playing the buffing tank than main damage dealer), he can't wear mana-regen shoes or hats. If I'm running low on mana and end up in a fight with non-metal slimes, either intentionally or just leftovers from killing the metals, I'll have my second (non-gladiator) party member use M-Pathy for a few rounds. Seems a good time to work in some Psyche-Up's.

I do need to make one correction up above, regarding preventing slime spawns by walking closer to the spawn point. If you enter the menu, it sort of removes you from the game so you can't be attacked. The result is that spawns become active again. So if you walk up to the spawn point and enter the menu to swap equipment (Goddess Ring to Meteorite Bracer, for example), you could very well come back to a fight against a regular blue slime.

I haven't seen any mention of the Slime Hill Spawn Point anywhere else, so I might take a few moments and write up a mini strategy guide. Bought some video edit software recently.. think I'll record a video too.

Ok, so I recorded the video, figured out how to start using the video edit software, didn't come out too bad for a first attempt.

I put a link in my original post and it looks like the forum auto-embeds.

The description of the video in YouTube explains that both characters are equipped with Metal Slime Spears, which is how MultiThrust actually gets hits.

I also have a first version of a Slime Hill Mini Strategy Guide based on this thread, but I'm not sure what to do with it...

Sumbit it for approval? Post here for proofreading? Post it in its own thread?

Not bad. Got any experience with the emulator? We could clean that up by having the raw footage and then overdubbing your voice with the explanations and whatnot.

If you don't do emulators, I could whip a video that closely resembles yours and send it you for the dubbing. Maybe I am being too picky though. I definitely like the video idea and the concept. We could add it to the video section where the bowhole trick is demonstrated as well.

Let me know what you think and we can start getting the wheels in motion on this one.

Not bad. Got any experience with the emulator? We could clean that up by having the raw footage and then overdubbing your voice with the explanations and whatnot.

If you don't do emulators, I could whip a video that closely resembles yours and send it you for the dubbing. Maybe I am being too picky though. I definitely like the video idea and the concept. We could add it to the video section where the bowhole trick is demonstrated as well.

Let me know what you think and we can start getting the wheels in motion on this one.

Thanks, and I'm glad it seems helpful!

Don't currently have a DS emulator or DQ9 ROM, but I'm sure they'd be easy enough to find.

Probably no way to pull a savegame off a cart without buying some equipment though, huh?

But would it matter? There's savegame editors, right? I could just duplicate my current game?

But if you already know what you're doing, you could just make a video too :)

I don't mind putting the work in, but I guess its up to how long you want to wait or if you enjoy making how-to videos and want to get involved.

I'm good either way.

Had some extra points and so dumped em into Boomerang, so I need to add a section on Metalicker but I think the Slime Hill Guide is pretty close to post-worthy, too.

Is this method considerably faster than MKS-hunting in grottoes?

Having never grotto farmed MKS I can't say for sure, but I'd go out on a limb and say "no".

Slime Hill is, however, friendly towards lower level characters who may or may not survive the trip to the lower floors of a grotto (although I'm sure Vanish helps that greatly).

Its also is pretty streaky. I've gone through the entire duration of a Vanish spell without having even a regular metal slime spawn, and other times (like yesterday) I've gotten a spawn of three LMS and two Medleys immediately after a spawn of five LMS, in addition to near-constant spawns of regular Metals.

Plus, its easy to get to and from if you wanted to take a trip to Stornway or Hermany.

Thanks, and I'm glad it seems helpful!

Don't currently have a DS emulator or DQ9 ROM, but I'm sure they'd be easy enough to find.

Probably no way to pull a savegame off a cart without buying some equipment though, huh?

But would it matter? There's savegame editors, right? I could just duplicate my current game?

But if you already know what you're doing, you could just make a video too :)

I don't mind putting the work in, but I guess its up to how long you want to wait or if you enjoy making how-to videos and want to get involved.

I'm good either way.

Well, if you shoot me a PM, I can help point you in the right direction. You can certainly fabricate a save file with the required stuff if you have the Save Editor (which is available here at the Den for download).

If I could add anything to the tips, it would be "Approach the slimes from behind."

One if Stella's random comments when you enter the battle records menu is that if you sneak up behind the enemy, you can get the jump on them. I first saw this posted on GFAQS and a few people confirmed it. Since then, I've been approaching all enemies from behind when possible. This lets you begin the battle without the enemy noticing you or being too scared to move; essentially, you get the first turn free, which, as we all know when battling metal enemies, can make all the difference in the world due to their likelihood to flee.

Now, the possibility of getting the first turn free is based on your deftness, but approaching from behind seems to increase the opportunity. It seems to be more effective against enemies when your level is considerably higher.

Now, the possibility of getting the first turn free is based on your deftness, but approaching from behind seems to increase the opportunity. It seems to be more effective against enemies when your level is considerably higher.

Correct. There are three possibilities in a random battle:

1) You get a free round

2) Some of the enemies get a free round (usually they don't all move, just some of them)

3) Nobody gets a free round

Deftness plays a factor. Sneaking behind them gives you better odds, and being ambushed by them gives you lower odds. There is also some randomness to it. (I am unsure whether opponent's deftness factors in, GA would probably know)

Archived