Best DQ Villain

Who is your favorite DQ villain?

Before you read the list, I think I need to explain my criteria for a villain as opposed to a boss or final boss. Villains in my eyes are reoccuring characters that you encounter more than once and that often stand in your way and goals. Villains usually have a backstory. They have goals of their own that they want to accomplish, but more indepth than just world domination and they do more than just sitting in their throne room waiting for you (although most of them thats where they end up). And most villains you are chasing around and trying to stop whatever evil plan they have.

Here's my list of villains in the DQ games:

DQ3 - Kandar

DQ4 - Balzack (iffy)

DQ4 - Keeleon (also iffy, I put Balzack, I have to include him)

DQ4 - Saro/Psaro

DQ5 - Gema (I forget his DS remake name)

DQ8 - Marcello

DQ8 - Sir Leopold

DQ8 - Dhoulmagus

DQ8 - Rapthorne (I put him because he was controlling the characters above so technically youre chasing him around)

DQ9 - Corvus

Despite my profile picture and the fact that Kandar has always been one of my favorite characters, I think the best villain in the DQ series is Dhoulmagus :evillaugh: . He is the most unique of all of them all and has more characterization to him. And even though he's essentially carrying around Rapthrones traits, they added more to Dhoulmagus than they did the other puppets so you actually saw a more defined character. Plus the guy doing his voice in the US version, is amazing.

List is a little short (there needs to be more flat out villains in future DQ games) but those are the ones I think fit the criteria. If you don't see one you think should be on the list go ahead and add him. I don't know DQ5 + 6 as well as I do the others so I might not have come up with everyone.

Who is your favorite DQ villain? :flameslime:

Hmmm, I might have to say Gema (Bishop Ladja). He seems the most evil out of the bunch. Holding a scythe to a kid's throat, making him watch while his dad takes a beating that ends his life. Then enslaving that boy, and on and on. Definitely my favorite villain.

I'd say DQ V's Gema or Bishop Ladja (this is his remake name btw :) )

i dont know.. he's like a crazy evil priest serving Grandmaster Nimzo who suddenly pops out when you least expected him to, and he really loves to make your life miserable, like

the first part where you got beaten by him when you were a kid, when he showed up to turn you into stone (DQ V DS), when you find the Dragon's Eye, when you defeat Ivol/Korol, (DQV DS) and finally when you finally get to see your mom, only for him to burn her with Kafrizzle

Kandar comes in 2nd for me.. though i laughed at him for getting captured in the Dark World (Alefgard)

Corvus is 3rd for me. He's the most powerful boss in all DQ games as he was the only one who managed to destroy the Almighty in the game.. didn't he actually seal off Zenus by splitting him into Fowleye, Sir Sanguinis, etc.. and sealing them in the Grottos? But.. i still find Ladja more awesome than Corvus. Don't ask me why :D

the first part where you got beaten by him when you were a kid, when he showed up to turn you into stone (DQ V DS), when you find the Dragon's Eye, when you defeat Ivol/Korol, (DQV DS) and finally when you finally get to see your mom, only for him to burn her with Kafrizzle

I forgot that he did all that! Good thing I'm going through the DQ5 PS2 remake right now. I'll get to experience all his evil-goodness again lol

Although I found the battle with Corvus to be a bit of a joke, I think it was great to have a final boss that you actually had some empathy for and that you can understand why he is doing what he is doing.

and of course... Kandar's just the best :-P

Psaro. At least in the DS remake he was a villain with a heart.

He's another good one like Corvus, where you have a little sympathy and understand his motivation.

Back to the topic, my favorites:

1. Zoma

2. Nokturnus (DarkDream)

3. Gema

Zoma and DarkDream don't really do anything other than sit there and want to destroy the world which is why I didn't count them as a villain. Same with Orgodemir and Nizmo.

My favorite boss has to be Bishop Ladja just because of how cruel he was to the hero and his family. If i didn't know who the actual last boss was, i really would have thought that he was the main bad guy of that game.

I forgot that he did all that! Good thing I'm going through the DQ5 PS2 remake right now. I'll get to experience all his evil-goodness again lol

Although I found the battle with Corvus to be a bit of a joke, I think it was great to have a final boss that you actually had some empathy for and that you can understand why he is doing what he is doing.

and of course... Kandar's just the best :-P

Yeah! Ladja was really evil, just like what King Zenith posted. The cruelest thing to do.. kill a father in front of the child.. wow. And i hope you enjoy you DQ5 PS2 playthrough!

Agreed. We should actually pity Corvus.. 300 years chained in Darkness, thinking that you've been betrayed.. plus the countless tortures he probably received from the Gitts.. yeah it'll break someone's spirit.

Kandar FTW! =))

Hmm, I don't think Corvus is the strongest, he didn't destroy the Almighty, just split it into many bosses. What about Nimzo, Zoma, Orgodemir? Nimzo states he became even stronger than the Goddess herself. Zoma got rid of Rubiss and corrupted her world (Alefgard). Orgodemir kills God, Orgodemir being the new lord of the beings.

Back to the topic, my favorites:

1. Zoma

2. Nokturnus (DarkDream)

3. Gema

Ahh.. well.. you're right, i guess there were more powerful demon lords than Corvus.

Zoma is a beast too, how could i ever forget getting shocked that Baramos was just a pawn? And you gotta love that final battle music after using the orb of light :D

Darkdream was my favorite DWM1/2 Boss family monster! I think Statwise, DarkDream is the strongest in DWM1 and 2. I could be mistaken though.

Yeap. The first villain who would actually

join your party to defeat the true evil.. Aamon. Psaro really is imba with all the skills he learns... And thru him you get to use Magic Burst in DQ IV! That spell wasn't really in DQ IV in the originals, right?

Well, hawkeye, then I choose Gema, too.

I'm at a loss. I'm actually ashamed of myself. I played through the original SNES rom. I have the DS remake and beat that. and I STILL forgot all the stuff he did... I am shamed face... :emb:

DQ needs more villains like that! Cause I think they do a great job at creating some awesome ones. All of them on the list, for the exception of Balzack and Keeleon, are really bad ass guys and really cool characters to go against in the games. Probably why I love DQ8 so much, theres a whole mess of them. Dhoulmagus is great (and my vote :tounge2: ), Marcello is a fantastic douche, and Sir Leopold turned from what I thought was going to be stupid and silly, into one of my favorite segments of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Psaro is the best. I also like the annoying way he changes his form. :P

hmmmm... well, for me Bishop Ladja definately wins out as the most sadisticly evil bastard in the DQ series! his crimes are many, and like all good villains, they get progressively worse and worse as the story unfolds.

still, Psaro is my favorite villain overall since he's the tragic type who's really just given in to his grief and hatred over what happened to his girlfriend...

Hargon is my favorite. Sure he wasn't the most powerful, and probably was nuts, but besides how cool he looks (IMO), he was the most mage-like of villains I've seen in the series.

Dragon Lord was a dragon.

Malroth was a physical being from another world (best surprise?)

Baramos was... a weird dino dude.

Zoma arguably could be mage-like, which is why he is my second favorite LOOKING villain. Third best battle theme

Esturk and Necrosaro were demons.

Ladja was more evil bishop dude (but definitely the most evil villain)

Nimzo was more insane demon dude, though his first form could be old man wizard... not a fan of that appearance though.

Mudo/Murdraw was... kind of lame in DQ6. He did have my favorite battle theme (that DQ9 screwed up).

Deathmore was... satan I think? I can't remember it's been so long. If he is the one with the hands he essentially was a demon though. I played via walkthrough so the story was told to me.

Duran/DarkDream dude may have been satan instead, but demon nonetheless.

Orgodemir was... huh. He was like satan but wasn't, demon-like, god-like, but yet none of those. I suppose he wins best impostor since he was like so many things and even impersonated god but wasn't.

Dhoulmagus was just a jester. I really didn't care for him as a villain or character.

Rhapthorne was a fat ass genie. Second best battle theme.

Corvus was just a dark angel, nothing new. Not really bad just nothing spectacular. His music was enjoyable though.

Hargon is my favorite. Sure he wasn't the most powerful, and probably was nuts, but besides how cool he looks (IMO), he was the most mage-like of villains I've seen in the series.

Dragon Lord was a dragon.

Malroth was a physical being from another world (best surprise?)

Baramos was... a weird dino dude.

Zoma arguably could be mage-like, which is why he is my second favorite LOOKING villain. Third best battle theme

Esturk and Necrosaro were demons.

Ladja was more evil bishop dude (but definitely the most evil villain)

Nimzo was more insane demon dude, though his first form could be old man wizard... not a fan of that appearance though.

Mudo/Murdraw was... kind of lame in DQ6. He did have my favorite battle theme (that DQ9 screwed up).

Deathmore was... satan I think? I can't remember it's been so long. If he is the one with the hands he essentially was a demon though. I played via walkthrough so the story was told to me.

Duran/DarkDream dude may have been satan instead, but demon nonetheless.

Orgodemir was... huh. He was like satan but wasn't, demon-like, god-like, but yet none of those. I suppose he wins best impostor since he was like so many things and even impersonated god but wasn't.

Dhoulmagus was just a jester. I really didn't care for him as a villain or character.

Rhapthorne was a fat ass genie. Second best battle theme.

Corvus was just a dark angel, nothing new. Not really bad just nothing spectacular. His music was enjoyable though.

Zoma was a Demon King.. probably more powerful than a Mage because he managed to seal off Rubiss.. I wouldn't call him mage like too since i hated his physical attacks, which hurt WAY MORE than his spells! :D

DarkDream, i think, is a god? God of Destruction, he calls himself, something like the Hindu god Shiva, i guess..

Orgodemir is satan. That's him, definitely. But in real life he won't beat God :D

Y'know, I just realized that Keeleon should be given a special honor in the Villain Hall Of Fame for being the first Unbeatable Boss in the series.

...He is unbeatable, right?

Only when you fight him the first time, and is impossible to win. When you have the complete party (Hero and the others), he can (and must) be defeated.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Who knows, though - there might be some uber-player out there that grinded Nara and Mara to Lv.99 in Chapter 4 and somehow beat him. :ws-slimecrazy:

Only when you fight him the first time, and is impossible to win. When you have the complete party (Hero and the others), he can (and must) be defeated.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Who knows, though - there might be some uber-player out there that grinded Nara and Mara to Lv.99 in Chapter 4 and somehow beat him. :ws-slimecrazy:

Well, you could try that with cheats, but what happens is the game still goes on as if you actually lost to him, if i remember it clearly :D

Well, you could try that with cheats, but what happens is the game still goes on as if you actually lost to him, if i remember it clearly :D

When I cheated my way to beating him, what happened was the battle started over and had to keep fighting him till you lost.

Also, I read of someone who grinded up very high and beat keeleon to discover that bad problem. No exp or gold either.

Most RPGs take this route. Winning "impossible" battles in Breath of Fire II (Barubay in the prologue), Golden Sun, and Magi-Nation all yield the same result: your character is lying on the ground afterward, as if you lost the fight instead.

Of course, there are also truly unbeatable bosses:

Tiga, in BoFII has 65535 HP, and apparently regens. I've heard of people who've dealt him roughly 1 million and didn't kill him.

I think the battle against Gade(?) in Lufia 1 is impossible, but I haven't dealt him much more than 10k.

Also, I read of someone who grinded up very high and beat keeleon to discover that bad problem. No exp or gold either.

Oh yeah, this is probably just one of the minor disadvantages of being overleveled at certain points in the games. I really hate how you had to just let him keep beating you up even though you could already actually kill Keeleon in less than 5 turns :|

I would say Zoma is a mage-like demon, Demon King is like his "title". The reason why he hits so hard is that all final bosses need to have overall good stats. Just think about this, the only source of decent damage of Zoma is the spells, he would be easy :P. His breath attack is nasty (does around 120 damage to the party).

Yes, He is a god of death and destruction.

Sorta. Zoma has some incredible attack power. I tried several times to beat him, and got owned by his regular attacks. Then I found out about the light orb. Without weakening him with the light orb, his physical attack is the main source of damage.

All of them on the list, for the exception of Balzack and Keeleon, are really bad ass guys and really cool characters to go against in the games.

gotta give some credit to Balzac and Keeleon

-Balzac killed Mara and Nara's father, using his teachings to turn himself into a monster

-Balzac would pretty much kick your ass unless you use the Sphere of Silence(given you didnt overgrind)

-Keeleon kicks your ass(given you didnt overgrind)

-They put the party in jail and Orin gets killed so the sisters can escape

-They got cool names

Abel/Ryuka's reaction to ladja:

first:(when he kills hero's father)

Hero: DAADDDYYY NOOOO!!!!! I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE!!!

Second:(he casts break on hero and his wife)

Hero:.............(no reaction, it's just an ensealed person)

Third:(when Hero met him in somewhat dungeon to get the dragonstaff and dragon orb)

Hero: I remember you!! You're the one who killed my dad. Vengeance is mine!!

Fourth:(when Ladja casts kafrizzle to hero's mom)

Hero:....... Not just my dad but my mom too... LADJA! YOU WRETCHED BISHOP!! I'M SICK OF THEE! THIS IS OUR LAST MEETING!!! DIE!!! (does the finishing attack)

(violence)

Fourth:(when Ladja casts kafrizzle to hero's mom)

Hero:....... Not just my dad but my mom too... LADJA! YOU WRETCHED BISHOP!! I'M SICK OF THEE! THIS IS OUR LAST MEETING!!! DIE!!! (does the finishing attack)

(violence)

:cry: He's going to kill "my" mom, too?

I think I should power level for that part, at least feel the satisfaction of utterly destroying him.

Archived