Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King Zenith

Contest # 66 - The Den Vinci Code 2

denvincicode2.png

It's time for a new contest and this one aims to please.

PREMISE:

Woodus has been captured by an evil cult led by Hargon. The only way to get him back is to solve a series of puzzles, each more diabolical than the last. Well, actually, they are in no particular order of diabolicalness, but rest assured you will need to have your wits about you at all times!

There are four main puzzles. Each time you solve a puzzle, you will be given two pieces of the final puzzle that will lead to Woodus. Speaking of Woodus, I would like to thank him for finding the time to help with this contest, despite being held in captivity. Before we get to the puzzles themselves, please read the following:

RULES / GUIDELINES:

1) Please don't post puzzle solutions to the forums. If you feel like collaborating with someone, please do so via private messages

2) If you solve a puzzle, this thread is a great place to brag about it! Be sure to rub it in other peoples faces (don't be mean, just competitive!)

3) If you need help, please ask questions via PM. If any additional clues or hints are given, they will be given to everybody

4) You have until Tuesday, December 7th 2010 at 10:00 am MST to submit your answers for this contest.

5) Have fun!

WHAT TO DO:

The solution to each puzzle will be a phrase that identifies a key word. When you find the key word for a puzzle, use it to find the hidden web page by replacing the ##### in the following link:

www.woodus.com/den/contests/66/#####.php

For example, if the key word from a puzzle was celestrian1 you would access the following link:

www.woodus.com/den/contests/66/celestrian1.php

Note that all web page links are case-sensitive and should be assumed to be LOWER CASE for this contest.

HOW TO WIN:

Everybody who participates can win this contest. It is not a race. In order to win this contest, you must send me the following via PM:

1) The entire decoded phrase from each of the four main puzzles

2) The solution to the final puzzle

3) A description of how you solved the final puzzle

I tried to make these puzzles a bit more difficult than the ones from the first Den Vinci Code contest. If you are struggling with these, perhaps try warming up on the ones from the previous contest. If everybody is having difficulty with one or more of these puzzles, I will provide additional hints.

The Puzzles:

PUZZLE # 1

Clue01_Image.png

hint:

An education level that is beyond the elementary school level is generally required in order to be able to solve this one. Despite the education requirement, I periodically encounter the keys to this puzzle in my day-to-day activities. I'm sure most people do as well. This hint may have more than one meaning. Also, some of the numbers represent multiple letters. Others do not.

PUZZLE # 2

Clue02_Image.png

hint:

This phrase contains only letters. No numbers or punctuation have been encoded. Also, each line is one word.

PUZZLE # 3

http://www.woodus.com/den/contests/66/files/Clue03_Sound01.mp3

http://www.woodus.com/den/contests/66/files/Clue03_Sound02.mp3

hints:

Puzz3_Hint1.png and this.

OR:

Puzz3_Hint2_is_5_Trans.png = 5, for example

PUZZLE # 4

Only those who prove their worth can receive the clue for puzzle # 4. Go here to prove you are worthy.

Hint:

All who successfully demonstrate their aptitude will see that anything less than perfection would render the resultant puzzle unsolvable.

PUZZLE # 5

The pieces of puzzle number 5 are given to you as you solve puzzles 1 - 4.

Hints:

1) The keyword for this puzzle consists of two components which are solved for separately and must be combined as a single word to access the correct URL for the winners page

2) The first half of this puzzle contains many more symbols than the second half, but provide only a single word that is 6 letters long.

3) The four components of the first half of the puzzle aren't very helpful on their own. You will need to combine all four to get the big picture.

3) The second half of this puzzle is not a real word but is composed of parts that are recognizable if combined in the correct order.

Woooo! I got puzzle 4!

Now for the first three ;D

Nice! Glad to see you guys are well on your way to finding Woodus. After you have done a few more, I will be interested to hear how you found the difficulty on the whole. Maybe via PM though, so as not to give away too many hints.

I have numbers 2,3, and 4. I have no idea so far for 1.

Wow, you guys are skilled!

I'm having trouble with 1, and I've got most of 2 but a few bits I can't figure out, and I know what three involves, but I can't figure out how to solve it O.o

I answered all the questions in 4 but the clue or whatever it is makes no sense!

wow I must be tired lol now i feel like an idiot because I can't figure out any of the clues lol :P

I've been working at puzzle #1 and googling stuff on it for like, almost 6 hours now and I'm still no further than before I attempted it O.o

The fact that it uses numbers outside of 1-26 also has me perplexed :o

And I can't seem to comprehend the meaning of that picture either D:

I've been working at puzzle #1 and googling stuff on it for like, almost 6 hours now and I'm still no further than before I attempted it O.o

I am perflexed as well and the 1-26 thing threw me off as well lol :P

Man, I am going to take a break and play some goldeneye on my wii. Puzzle 1 is driving me crazy XD

I have numbers 2,3, and 4. I have no idea so far for 1.

Nicely done. I'm glad to see you've cut your way through most of the puzzles.

Well, all I can say so far is that the picture is just a very subtle hint at the key to cracking the puzzle. It could throw you off if you dwell on it for too long though I suppose. I have a few ideas in mind for what kind of hints I can give, but I'm afraid they will make it too obvious. I am going to hold off for now and see how people fare with it.

If anyone solves puzzle 1, please brag about it here. I am anxious to see how GrandAlchemist does. He finished the first Den Vinci code contest blazingly fast.

In response to a private message I got:

The armamentalists in the first one are supposed to be a subtle clue at what might be needed to solve the puzzle.

A hint has been added for puzzle number 1. I hope you will all find it satisfactory.

I completed the phrase on puzzle 1 :D thanks for the hint King Zenith, I felt really stupid when I figured out the key lol.

I completed the phrase on puzzle 1 :D thanks for the hint King Zenith, I felt really stupid when I figured out the key lol.

Congratulations! To my knowledge, you are the first to get that one. Glad it's more solvable now with the hint in hand.

Have you had any luck with the others?

I swear, if it's that simple I'm gonna slap myself silly.

I am anxious to see how GrandAlchemist does. He finished the first Den Vinci code contest blazingly fast.

I've been quite busy trying to get a grip on my backlog, working, and being social, but this set seems much more intriguing than the previous.

Hmmm... looks like I should pay extra attention to stuff as I go about my daily activeties :o

I am anxious to see how GrandAlchemist does. He finished the first Den Vinci code contest blazingly fast.

I've been quite busy trying to get a grip on my backlog, working, and being social, but this set seems much more intriguing than the previous.

Cool. Well, you've got a month to do it so hopefully that will leave you enough time.

Hmmm... looks like I should pay extra attention to stuff as I go about my daily activeties :o

Indeed. Hopefully that hint will be a helpful guide as you do so.

The deadline is a long ways away. Are you going to start another contest in the meantime, King Zenith?

The deadline is a long ways away. Are you going to start another contest in the meantime, King Zenith?

I might. I have a couple things in the works. Some details need to be worked out though. I may start a contest feedback thread to get some ideas on how things have been going contest-wise.

Ooh, puzzles! So far, two of them don't seem *too* bad, though unless there's an easy way, translating #3 might prove to be a task...

Might wait until tomorrow to give it a shot though, else I'll be up all night. =p

Ooh, puzzles! So far, two of them don't seem *too* bad, though unless there's an easy way, translating #3 might prove to be a task...

Might wait until tomorrow to give it a shot though, else I'll be up all night. =p

If you are resourceful, you can definitely find easier ways to "translate" #3. I found 3 completely different methods that all make it easier.

Hope you enjoy the puzzles. Don't lose any sleep over them! Woodus is comfy in Hotel Hargon. He can wait.