Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sykonee

Recommendations From FanFiction.net

As the title suggests, here's a thread to link to any pieces of fanfiction - DQ related mostly, but others if you find it good enough - you think ought to be shared with the Den. Because let's face it: the Good-to-Mediocre ratio for most fanfiction unfortunately tends to be rather low - it's enough to turn most off from even glimpsing at fanfiction in the first place. The only rules here is that you link to the story itself, and provide a small synopsis of what it is.

To kick off, here's the first story I want to share:

Shadowboxing by Stealth Noodle

[DWIV]

This is mostly about Alena's headspace shortly following the events of her chapter, with a series of 'what if' scenarios playing out in her head as she comes to terms with what some psychologists define as "survivor's guilt". It's a very short story, but quite excellent.

More to come...

This is... a good idea, I guess? My only recommendation for that site is to stay far, far away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSzCwFu1dYY

At least give the topic a chance to grow a little first, eh? :P

Keep Moving by Auron Belmont [DQ8]

A harness malfunction on the road to Empychuu means trouble for the group, and so it's up to the Hero to get the team back on track. A short, but fun story that keeps with the feel of the game. Fourth in a series, but you can enjoy it without reading the others. For most fans I can recommend reading up to the seventh story, plus the side story Denied and Defied, starring Eltrio. After that, it depends on if you like a little more angst with your fanfic, or if you're a fan of Marcello.

This is... a good idea, I guess? My only recommendation for that site is to stay far, far away!

It truly is a nearly impenetrable mess of amateur writing, but every so often someone with real talent does crop up. Unfortunately, seeing as how ff.net's reputation precedes itself, such writers all too often get overlooked. Hence, this thread, where those of us who brave the wilds of junior grade prose can share the few good works that occasionally emerge from the pile.

Not So Blind by Weiila [DQ8]

Yet another DQ8 fanfic, a one-shot from the POV of King Trode. The focus is on the relationship between the Hero and Medea, but it's balanced well with the interactions and character quirks from the rest of the cast. The story does flow from one event to another rather quickly, ranging from the beginning of the game to the Argonia initiation test, but for a one-shot it works well.

Okay, so I've been humming and hawing over whether to recommend this one or not. So, I'll simply provide the link, then tell you the pros and cons of it...

Each Life's Quest by volta arovet

[DQ8]

Eight seeks out a disgraced Marcello to help locate missing children from a village.

Pros: Very well written, with excellent characterizations.

Cons: Turns mildly yaoi in the middle. I actually stopped reading it there, just because that sort of stuff doesn't interest me. To be fair, though, it is written in such a way that kind of makes sense for Marcello. Give it a read if you're curious. ;)