Pokemon ripoff or other way around?

Some of my friends have been saying that DQ is a pokemon ripoff, while me and some other friends are saying it's not. Some say pokemon is a DQ ripoff. Which is it?

Technically, the answer would be 'no' since Dragon Quest V, which came out in 1992, enabled you to recruit and train monsters into your party to battle alongside you.

Pokemon came out in 1996 (Japan) and 1998 (US) and it wasn't until 2 years later that Dragon Quest Monsters was released, taking the monster-training aspect of DQV and turning it into the main focus of the game.

I mean, seriously. How can DQ be a rip-off of Pokemon when DQ is nearly a decade older?

While we're at it, the first game that I can remember that allowed you to have monsters in your party was Saga (Final Fantasy Legend). You can't recruit them, but you can have them as party members and "evolve" them by eating the remains of defeated monsters.

I don't think either one is a ripoff of the other, they have similar aspects sure, but they both felt different. And the regular DQ series is way more different than Pokemon O.o

I remember reading that it's a fact that Dragon Quest V was the main inspiration for Pokemon. Either way, Dragon Quest V beat Pokemon to the punch. This seems to be a common misconception though, I guess because Dragon Warrior Monsters came out after Pokemon Red & Blue did.

The DWM games were definately heavily inspired by Pokemon. DWM1 came out shortly after Pokemon Red and Blue. DWM2 came out shortly after Pokemon Gold and Silver, and they followed the formula of a person training monsters to do the fighting.

Magi Nation came out around the second installment of DWM2. It was a card game prior to being on the GBC, but has several similar aspects to the other two. Tales of Symphonia 2 (WII) also has a large aspect devoted to catching and raising monsters.

It's kinda like saying Tekken is a ripoff of Street Fighter. Monster training games are sort of a sub-genre now. Besides, if DQ and FF didn't lay the groundwork we still wouldn't have monster training games... oh, yeah. Monster Rancher, too. I don't know when that game started, though.

Archived