Dragon Quest III SNES (translated)

Killing a single Enemy in a group before a single attack spell is cast such as Icebolt or Blaze(but nothing happens - Mp are still used just like in the original)

Is this also in the Japanese version of the game?

Edited by Rune Caster
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My understanding is that the save corruption is caused by particular (but unknown) actions. I had been playing with only save states until the point in the game when you need to reload your save file,

Your Tombstone Platty...  

I faced the exact same issue during my playthrough (as described below). Sadly it seems that the fan translation still has some serious issues, which is a shame as I was very much looking forward to t

Posted Images

Just so I'm understanding what you wrote, let's say you're fighting a group of slimes and an anteater. Your physical attackers kill the group of slimes, but your mage is ready cast bolt. Are you saying the spell just doesn't work and doesn't attack the anteater? If so, then I don't think it's a bug. I thought it was the game making you think twice about your spell usage, but that's just my theory. I like it that way, so the game isn't too easy.

Just so I'm understanding what you wrote, let's say you're fighting a group of slimes and an anteater. Your physical attackers kill the group of slimes, but your mage is ready cast bolt. Are you saying the spell just doesn't work and doesn't attack the anteater? If so, then I don't think it's a bug. I thought it was the game making you think twice about your spell usage, but that's just my theory. I like it that way, so the game isn't too easy.

Yep. Sorta like Golden Sun, where if the target is dead, the user defends.

It's frustrating at first, but not a big deal once you get used to it.

Just so I'm understanding what you wrote, let's say you're fighting a group of slimes and an anteater. Your physical attackers kill the group of slimes, but your mage is ready cast bolt. Are you saying the spell just doesn't work and doesn't attack the anteater?

No. Say you have a fighter and a mage in your party, your fighting a group of monsters with a HellCrab alone in a single group one attack + Icebolt can usually kill them but say your Fighter gets a critical and kills it in one hit before your mage casts Icebolt. If her turn comes up she will cast Icebolt and use 3 Mp but nothing happens. (it does not hit anything)

Just so I'm understanding what you wrote, let's say you're fighting a group of slimes and an anteater. Your physical attackers kill the group of slimes, but your mage is ready cast bolt. Are you saying the spell just doesn't work and doesn't attack the anteater?

No. Say you have a fighter and a mage in your party, your fighting a group of monsters with a HellCrab alone in a single group one attack + Icebolt can usually kill them but say your Fighter gets a critical and kills it in one hit before your mage casts Icebolt. If her turn comes up she will cast Icebolt and use 3 Mp but nothing happens. (it does not hit anything)

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say. I just overcomplicated it a bit. Sorry about that. I still don't think it's a bug...

I tried playing it with the translation patch from the very beginning but I quickly noticed that all the doors in the game are unlocked. Has it happened to anyone else?

Edited by Novangel

All doors? Even the jail bars and red doors? VI started the trend of having doors, but not all of them need keys.

I tried playing it with the translation patch from the very beginning but I quickly noticed that all the doors in the game are unlocked. Has it happened to anyone else?

How far into the game are you? The "normal" doors are always unlocked, and as Dwaine B. mentioned, if it's a red or silver door, then they should be locked.

I played through the whole game without experiencing and oddities with the doors. The doors that should have been locked, were locked.

Every door I check, red, silver/jail, they all pop open like I have all the keys already. It really ruined it for me. :(

I was playing from scratch and didn't get too far. After I got my team I decided to explore the castle and town before setting out and I was able to go everywhere. I walked right into the prison, took all the treasure and I even got all the way to the tower from the castle entrance. No restrictions at all. I checked other areas and same problem. I was even able to take the warps that are scattered around.

Why is it always me... Its a real shame mine is all whacked out, I was really looking forward to playing this one. :cry:

Novangel, did download the right Japanese rom?

Dragon Quest III - Don't patch this version it does not work!!

Dragon Quest 3 (J) - This is the version I patched. Make sure remove the header and Patch the Rom using the same program such as SnesTool.

Edited by Rune Caster

I redownloaded/repatched everything and its working great! Thanks so much guys! :overjoyed2: I can't wait to play through this one, I'm so excited! (Its my fave one in the series)

Edited by Novangel

Great :thumbsup: I am also enjoying this version of dragon quest III on the SNES no more worring about Hp\Mp because the game checks it alot better...

I hope everything works great then...

Glad to hear you got that sorted out.

Another thing that's great about this game is the lack of Monster Medals. The second bonus dungeon would be nice, but Monster Medal collecting is torture.

Monster medals? You mean mini medals?

DQ3 had monster medals AND mini medals. Each time you won a battle, there was a small chance that the last monster killed would drop a medal with its image on it. Basically, if you could collect 2 of every medal you could fight an extra boss.

Wish from Divinegon: Secret dungeon is unlocked

1 of every medal: unlocks door in that dungeon

1 of every medal (silver, which could be melded from 2 bronze medals): unlocks second door in that dungeon, and access to the boss

There were also gold medals, which were even rarer and can't be melded from lower class medals.

Edited by Wes

Now this is weird the door behind the inn (behind where the innkeeper stands) cannot be opened by the Magic Key? Is it a Final Key Door?

Now this is weird the door behind the inn (behind where the innkeeper stands) cannot be opened by the Magic Key? Is it a Final Key Door?

Final key doors are greenish.

Final key doors are greenish.

Hm the Thief's Key, Magic Key and Final Key can't open the door behind the Inkeeper in Romaly, I wonder how you open it?

Yes, It's just that door... which is weird... there is nothing behind it except the innkeeper to talk to...

Can you post a screenshot? Are you talking about the red door at the inn in the lower right southeast corner? It should open... I don't remember having any problems opening it after I got the Thief's key.

Edited by Botsu the Hero