Sign in to follow this  
eal

Dragon Quest IX meanings

A common joke in the Dragon Quest series is a really bad pun name (Jack of Alltrades and Master of Nu'un). But they also like to include hidden references to people and places as well. So I wanted to see how many members of the Den can spot some obvious and less obvious ones. I'll start us off:

Wormwood Creek: May or may not be a reference to a star in the book of Revelations that is said to poison the water on Earth during the Apocalypse.

Swinedimples Academy- A definite reference to Hogwarts in the "Harry Potter" books.

Corvus- A possible reference to the family of animals called corvids that include the crows, ravens, jackdaws, jays, and magpies.

Bloomingdale- Could refer to the store of the same name.

Now it's your turn. What can you come up with?

The monster Slugly Betsy

I thought that was supposed to be a play on el nino since they are cloud monsters and el nino is the storm season :) I think I like yours better

There is a reference to the UK version of The Office. Has anyone but me noticed it yet?

I don't watch the North American version of The Office (I know, I know, trying to get caught up on NetFlix), much less the UK version, what is it?

Handsome Crab is referencing Hansom Cabs.

Grotto boss Nemean is referring to the Nemean Lion, a monster Hercules had to kill.

The Crucerang seems to be inspired by the boomerangs seen in the Castlevania series.

Not in the game, but in the guide, there's a heading that says "Step into the Bad Cave and they'll bludgeon you!" which is a reference to a Wayne's World skit "Step into my pain cave and I'll bludgeon you!"

Patty and Sellma at Stormway inn seem to be a reference to the Simpsons sisters.

Disco Stew seems to be another Simpsons reference, for Disco Stu.

The ranger quest "trainer" Odval seems to make some passing reference to talking to animals IIRC, that may be a vague reference to Soul Blazer, but I realize I'm reaching.

Angel Falls is also a bad pun because you, the hero are the world's equivalent of an angel, and you fall down to said town.

Zere Rocks is a very odd pun of the company "Xerox."

I don't watch the North American version of The Office (I know, I know, trying to get caught up on NetFlix), much less the UK version, what is it?

Aside from the obvious porcine lingo, Lt. Goreham-Hogg is also a pun on Wereham Hogg, the name of the paper company.

And you need to caatch up on the US version, because it's better. That's right, I said it. Deal with it. UK version does not feature Creed Bratton. Season 3 is my favorite. "Business School" is my all-time favorite episode.

Edited by Dwaine B.

Actually Corvus is a constellation which makes sense because he becomes a star if i recall correctly

Angel Falls is also a bad pun because you, the hero are the world's equivalent of an angel, and you fall down to said town.

Looks at the second one... I wish I would have noticed that one, considering...

When you want a copy of something, you can say "could you make a xerox of this?" and Zere rocks is an exact copy of Zere.

Also a Xerox is usually not in colour as is Zere Rocks being all stone.

Edited by xckx

The Triumgorate is Triumvirate+ Gore (A triumvirate is a political regime dominated by three powerful individuals), and Goreham-hogg, Hootingham-Gore, and Goresby-Purrvis are the three triumvirs.

I have no clue what Zere could be, but ZERE means Zero Emissions Renewable Energy.

Batsureg and the Ilugazaar Plains are definitely Mongolia. I can tell because Saransatsral is a Mongolian name(I think)

Swinedimples Academy is Hogwarts. Swine=Hog, Dimples=Warts. i love this pun.

Hermany is Germany. Obvious one here.

Someone already explained the Gittish Empire, but I wanted to add Gittingham Palace=Buckingham Palace.

Hope Springs(near Wormwood Creek)= Hope Springs Eternal, a line from some famous poems that means man must always go on, even in the face of adversity.

Dourbridge= Drawbridge+ Dour(Gloomy, Sullen)

Hackson Five= Jackson Five

Magmaroo is posssibly a pun on Kangaroo, but I'm not sure.

Al Capinne and the Inntouchables are famous Gangster Al Capone and his gang.

I'll think of more later.

Patty and Sellma at Stormway inn seem to be a reference to the Simpsons sisters.

Disco Stew seems to be another Simpsons reference, for Disco Stu.

The ranger quest "trainer" Odval seems to make some passing reference to talking to animals IIRC, that may be a vague reference to Soul Blazer, but I realize I'm reaching.

I noticed the Simpsons reference too and forgot to mention it. Which is weird because it is my favorite show.

Djust Desert.

Just Desserts? Get it?

Wormwood Creek: May or may not be a reference to a star in the book of Revelations that is said to poison the water on Earth during the Apocalypse.

That's an interesting one if you consider what happens to Corvus after the events there with him.

I noticed the ring called Contra band.

Ya I got a couple of those rings too.

Also the Armor called Santa's little helper suit is the name of the Simpsons dog.

Family Guy reference in the BradyGames Guide. When you get to the Magmaroo, there is a box that says "Don't step on the carpet; The carpet is hot lava." Then tells you about the lava on the ground can damage you.

In the original Japanese version, Queen Voluptua was named Yurishisu (could possibly be translated as Ulysses, although that's a masculine name).

It is, actually. There have been a few romanizations of exactly that.

I don't know what you meant by the first Simpsons reference, but I've noticed that Patty and Sellma are named for Marge's two sisters, which is odd, because their personalities don't fit those of the "Gruesome Twosome" as Homer calls them. I'm not sure if King Considerate is a pun, but that's where I got my forum name. :D Nice job on catching the Zere Rocks one, I didn't get it. The cat in The Flowery Beds might be a reference to Bowser from Mario. Catharrina's name might refer to a disease, and Dr. Phlegming's name refers to phlegm, a substance that builds on the inside of someone's throat. Somebody said "Djust Desert" meant Just Desserts, but I personally think that it means Just Desert, as in, Nothing but Desert.

Zere Rocks (Xerox[as in the printer])