Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Unacceptable names

For anyone interested, here is a full list of names that are blocked by DQ9's name filter:

List

Some are pretty funny. Some are kinda weird. Some are very very weird.

I wonder whose job it was to compose that list.

That was one big 1284. list!

I would say the majority of those names are either racial slurs, sexually obscene, or cuss words. And it includes slurs/swears in different languages. I spotted a few French/Spanish ones and I assume some of the Chinese sounding names are probably the same. I was surprised to see kaffir on there. It's Arabic for infidel.

Btw, King Zenith. I noticed your characters changed. You met Alena and decided to do the cat quest, hmmm?

That is a mighty big list. I guess because kids from any country/ethnicity could connect to anyone, they had to come up with every swear word or bad slang from every language, and internet terms like pr0n. Although I'm sure if someone really wanted to put something that wasn't allowed though, they'll find a way. They would keep trying to change it slightly until they found something they could put in.

I'm impressed (sort of) at the extent that they went to. Many of those names I had not heard of, and I can only guess what they mean. They sound funny though. What the heck does #1018 mean? That's something I am sure I am better off not knowing.

And yeah, had to update my signature after getting Alena's gear! And I left the cat-ears on my Priest after the Help Meowt quest. They're not as bad as one would expect.

Im guessing it was a typo but good ole $#!& wasnt on the list. But FUK was hhaahahahaha.

According to folks I know, there's more.

Asuka and Penelope are blocked too.

Oh God, that list should not have made me laugh as hard as it did. But "Lovepillows" is blocked and "Puff-Puff" isn't? :P

What the heck does #1018 mean? That's something I am sure I am better off not knowing.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a crude euphemism for "vagina."

It's not just one person. People get together, come up with their own lists, then bounce ideas off each other from different backgrounds and cultures. No, seriously.

Did you guys notice Balzak in there? That's screwed up!

BTW, you could curse in portuguese without any problems.

Oh God, that list should not have made me laugh as hard as it did. But "Lovepillows" is blocked and "Puff-Puff" isn't? :P

What the heck does #1018 mean? That's something I am sure I am better off not knowing.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a crude euphemism for "vagina."

I tried to find out, I don't know what did I see, but those were painfull 2 seconds. It's definetely NOT an euphemism. I won't do that ever again.

I checked the Urban Dictionary...it's nothing so horrendous, so what were those things? People, don't do that at home!

Edited by Billy MK

Oh it's in the ROM unencrypted... how unimpressive :P

The last bit are regular expressions.

SPLOOGE{0,1} means that SPLOOGE or SPLOOG are both banned.

C[O0]CK.{0,60}SUCK threw me off for a bit, but it looks like it means you can't set a greeting that has COCK or C0CK then 0 to 60 characters, then followed by SUCK.

A[s$][s$][^A-Z] means you can't have ASS A$S AS$ A$$ if it isn't followed immediately by a letter.

Haha, Dirty Pillows.

Good God, this is by far one of the most retarded thing I ever saw. Kids (mine included) get exposed to bad lingo- gimme a break. I took my kids to the park yesterday and some girl in her 20's or so said her "boobs were hanging out" of her shirt. The older lady with her starts off- "Hey, he (me) has kids here." That older lady started apologizing to me.

I replied by showing her the back of my t-shirt (2 hands with their middle fingers sticking up). I then replied "Don't bother me none. If they hear it, they hear it- nothing to worry about."

I like how fart is on the list, among other ones.

Also, isn't there a 8 letter limit for names?

Alot of those look like they break the 8 letter limit.

LMFAO!!!!! i havent laughed that hard in awhile

Edited by Yutaka

Yeah, when I was explaining regular expressions earlier it kinda threw me off, but it also checks your custom greeting to make sure there aren't bad words.

I'm filling mine up with names like Henry, Flora, Bella... :P

Yeah, when I was explaining regular expressions earlier it kinda threw me off, but it also checks your custom greeting to make sure there aren't bad words.

I'm filling mine up with names like Henry, Flora, Bella... :P

I didn't think of the custom greetings. Silly me. :goofyslime:

My greeting is

Who likes Puff-Puffs?... I like Puff-Puffs.

My greeting is

Who likes Puff-Puffs?... I like Puff-Puffs.

In response to a certain bumper sticker slogan.

My kid got a puff-puff from your honor roll student!

You know, I was almost tempted to name one of my party members Assaram after the hilariously translated NES Dragon Warrior III town, but when I heard Dragon Quest IX had the same old crappy name filter Joker did, I decided not to bother.

I was surprised to see kaffir on there. It's Arabic for infidel.

IIRC, in South Africa, it's the equivalent of the n-word in America.

Heh can't have FREECHINA or taiwanduli (taiwan independence). I should make a cheat code to disable that crap, friggin lamers.

hilarious

specially the spanish ones

I think there's a save editor on the interwebz that can change names, if you are into that stuff