Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GutFunk

Hand Crafted DQ monster sprite art

Hello, I figured if anyone would find interest in this, it would be here. My brother recently started messing with some things called Perler beads, which are beads you put together on a grid, melt them with an iron and create art with. It seems to be somewhat popular to create NES or older generation sprite artwork out of, but not many people have done Dragon Quest stuff, so I asked my brother to create a few. I framed some to make them look extra sharp, however I didn't get a big enough frame for Gold man / Gold golem, which happens to be my favorite so far. These look great from a distance, but the obviousness of the beads becomes apparent up close (and in the images). Anyway, here's how they came out.

greendragon2.jpg

Green Dragon

mimic2.jpg

Mimic

goldgolem.jpg

Gold Golem / Gold Man, with ruler for scale.

I really wanted him to make the boss monsters, but he's already had to glue 4 peg boards together just to make the dragon and golem. Anyway, what do you guys think? Would you like to see any of the bosses or other monsters attempted?

This is awesome! Yeah I definitely want to see more!

That's spectacular. Props to your brother!

Yeah, those are cool:thumbsup:

Here's a couple more for now, I'm not sure when he'll get around to another one though. Hopefully the next one will be a boss monster, but my brother will probably need more beads, pegboards, and my assistance with it. If it becomes a reality I'll be sure to post it here as well. Anyway, on to a couple more.

slime.jpg

Standard Slime

metalbabble.jpg

Metal Babble (I did this one, it came out a little dark though because of lack of bead colors)

goldgolem2.jpg

Gold Golem / Goldman framed

framed.jpg

And here's how they look when hung on the wall. (Yes, I think those dolls are a bit unsettling as well)

More to come later, hopefully!

How long does it take to make them assuming you already have the supplies? Did you use a sort of guide to get the pixels/pegs JUST right or just did it by looking at the images?

How long does it take to make them assuming you already have the supplies? Did you use a sort of guide to get the pixels/pegs JUST right or just did it by looking at the images?

Well, things such as the slime only take about 20 or so minutes. These beads and the pegs they fit onto are quite meticulous things so after working a while it gets more difficult to steady the beads in the right spot. They also tend to slip and land sideways and that's a pain. I wouldn't be surprised if goldman took at least 2 hours of work. It would be nice if he had a projector to work with, it would make putting the pixels down easier, but for now we just use a laptop and blow up the image large so we can count and place the individual pixels. The only real limitation to this are the colors offered by the bead company, as they don't cover every color of the spectrum used by these sprites.

Dude that's awesome that's something I have to try at some point. :thumbsup:

Well, it took nearly 8 hours of work, and a couple of near screw ups, but here's the dragon lord, with ruler for scale.

dragonlord2.jpg

That is incredibly cool. Thanks for sharing these.

Could you try your hand at a king slime?

Yeah, it would be much easier than another boss monster, that's for sure! I think my brother currently is doing other projects at the moment so it would be a while before it's posted if it does get done, at least a few weeks or so. He's currently working on getting an etsy site up for this stuff, so he has quite a few other things to make, but I'll be sure to post here if it gets made.

Whoops, mouse made me double post on accident. I might try to swing by his place and make it myself at some point, if there are enough blue beads to create it. It is one of the monsters in my list I'd like to see at some point too, anyway.

Is it alright if I "squee" at the sight of that Green Dragon? Because it's made of pure awesomesauce. :thumbsup:

Omg. Hi Gut.

Could you try your hand at a king slime?

Hi this is Gut's brother. Sure, one day I will do the king slime. He is one of my top 10 favorite DQ monsters. I'm just in the middle of alot of other projects right now but I will go back to working on some DQ monsters. I have a metal slime shirt I did for my bro that I will post shortly.

Cool, looking forward to seeing more of your stuff. It's awesome!

Here is the metal slime shirt I painted.

MetalSlime2.jpg

Wyvern

Wyvern2.jpg

That Metal Slime shirt is awesome. I would love one of those. You should produce them and sell them via the Den!

The Wyvern is awesome as well. Thanks again for sharing these.

Drakee, Magidrakee, Drakeema

Drakees.jpg

Wow, are you going to do the whole set from DW1?