Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimas

Tips and Techniques

Edited to correct NA name.

So I thought that those of us that have played the game in Japanese could give some advice to everyone starting the game now.

Making Money through Alchemy

Nikumori No Shapuka/Ear Cosey Sells for (1200G each, 230G profit)

-Kegawa no Hood/Fur Hood (550 G) found in Dock/Slurry Quay(day)

-Usagi no Omamori/Bunny Tail (240G) found in Erafita/Zere(day) or Tsuo/Llaffan

-Yawaraka Wool/Lambswool (180G) found in Karubado/Batsureg.

Requirement: You can't do this until you have the boat.

This is the best way of making money early in the game. But the smaller gold profit coupled with the fact there are three stores, and that one of the stores you need to go to is only open during the day means that as soon as you've made the base amount needed to start during Gold Mail runs, your best off switching to that.

Gold Mail Sells for (4,900G each, 330G profit)

-Silver Mail (4,000 G) Sanmarou/Bloomingdale.

-Gold Bracelet/Bracer(350G) found in Tsuo/Llaffan.

-Gold Ring (220G) found in Tsuo/Llaffan.

Requirement: You can't do this until you have the boat. Doesn't make financial sense until you have about 30,000G to invest.

This is a fairly fast way to make a lot of money. A Gold Mail run takes about 5 minutes, and with 99 gold mail, you make 32,670 profit each run. This is an important number, because a lot of the rare things in the Wi-Fi shop cost around this much. For example, an orb (on sale in the Japanese store this week) costs 30,000. So you can make sure to buy out the store each day with about 10 minutes work (depending on how many rare items there are). I think I've heard that when you've made 300,000 on the Nikumori No Shapuka/Ear Cosey is when you should switch over to making Gold Mail instead.

Treasure Chests

There are 10 types of blue treasure chests in Treasure Maps. A host and guest can both open the same blue chest (though there is a bug in the Japanese version, where if the map was opened before the guest arrives then all of the treasure chests are already opened). For each treasure chest in each map the order of the random items that could appear is always the same. This can be manipulated using quick save. If you quick save in front of a chest when the game reloads if you "immediately" open the chest then it will always contain the same item. By immediately it means that the games counter hasn't advanced. Moving, opening, etc could advance the meter. But if you don't like what the immediate item that you get is, then you can press select to go to the status window as soon as the game restarts. If you count the seconds while the window is open and then immediately open the treasure chest in front of you, then the same count will get you the same item each time.

Suggested Skills

Skill points can be carried over from one job to another, so if you don't allocate the skills in one job, you can change jobs and allocate the skills gained from the first job for skills in the second job.

Job Skills

All job skills are useful, because they permanently increase your stats in all jobs. STAT SEEDS ONLY INCREASE YOUR STATS IN THE JOB YOU USED THEM IN. While your goal should be to master all of them, some have skills that are particularly useful.

Minstrel- Killer Juggling/Have a Ball (82pts) Very useful for fighting against metal slimes. Hits monsters 6-8 times).

Priest- Zombie Guard/Rotstopper (70pts) Not all that useful really, but there is a boss battle later on in the game where using this technique makes it so that the enemy is only hitting single digit damage off of you.

Thief - Steal/Half-Inch (10pts) Important for a number of quests, and just for getting good drops.

Thief - Thief's Nose/Nose for Treasure (42pts) Find how many treasure chests are left in a dungeon or town. Does not work in treasure maps.

Thief - Miyaburu/Eye for Trouble (68pts) Adds full monster information to your Monster Book. Including an extra page with interesting information or jokes about the monster.

Thief - Otakura Sagashi/Treasure Eye Land (100ots) Shows where unopened treasure chests are, shows where the stairs are in Treasure maps.

Ranger - Sterusu/Vanish (32pts) Makes you invisible to monsters. Useful in treasure maps when you are in a hurry to get to the boss at the end, treasure chests, or in Masayuki, to the metal king slimes.

Sage - Dharma no Satori/Jack's Knack (3pts) Change classes any time. Useful for leveling, and then changing to a stronger class right before a boss battle.

Sage - Iyashi no Ame/Right as Rain (22pts) Heals the whole party at the end of each round.

Weapon Skills

Shield - One of the most important skills in the game. Allows you to block attacks. Master it so that you can use a shield in every job. You also block an extra 6% of the time through mastering the shield. With a Metal King Shield (obtained through a mix of treasure chests and alchemy) you can block more than 10% of attacks. It makes a big difference.

Swords - Generally useful. Good skill for fighting metal monsters early in the game with Metal Slash (13pts).

Fans - VERY important. Mastering fans allows one character to do the Hustle Dance to heal everyone in the party, and fans are one of the best weapons for fighting metal monsters later in the game. For that you need the Furinkazan/Attribeauty fan (obtained through Wi-Fi, or high level treasure chests). You can never miss a metal monster with it (though on rare occasions they can dodge) and you always get to go first in a turn when you use it (so they can't run away). It also can lower the tension of a monster, but that is just an extra side affect. If you use Ougi no Mai/Fan Dango (88pts) you can hit metal monsters 4 times in a turn (depending on your level that can mean 6 damage).

Magic Wand - Mastering it allows one of your characters to have the ability to resurrect characters no matter what job they currently are. Just holding a staff also allows them to regain Magic Power, They can also steal MP by attacking with their staff. (Though there is a Bow and Arrow technique that can work better for healing MP).

Whip - In and of itself it doesn't have many great skills, but Gringham whip available in later treasure maps allows you to hit every monster in battle, making the boomerang useless.`

Great info.

Thanks for the advice.

Any info on the different classes and where you could become a specific class could be useful, you know like there are classes not available through the Abbey of Alltrades like ranger for example, you can become a ranger outside the entrance to Zere Rocks.

I can this kind of information can be useful for people that are future planning :)

Just started playing yesterday so I haven't come that far but I will try to contribute as much as possible when I found out something neat.

Any info on the different classes and where you could become a specific class could be useful, you know like there are classes not available through the Abbey of Alltrades like ranger for example, you can become a ranger outside the entrance to Zere Rocks.

Well, you still have to go to the...Abbey...to change to the class, but if you want quest information, sure. (Still using Japanese names of places and things now).

BattleMaster Quest 103 (Dharma/Abbey) Must use the Sword Skill Dragon Cut on slimes while being in Super High Tension (Can be accomplished through cheering).

Paladin Quest 106 (Roof of Gubiana Castle) Must Guard (Courage Skill 8pts) a companion from hits.

Mage Warrior Quest 109 (Dharma/Abbey)Use Magic Barrior (Mage Skill 8pts) before defeating metal slimes.

Ranger Quest 112 (Bidari Mountains/Zero Rocks) Posion Dagger (Dagger Skill 3pts) Chimeras and then let them die of poison. (Try to do this early in the game, or after changing classes or you kill them by hitting them instead of by poison.)

Sage Quest 115 (Ganan Empire Castle, floor 2) Kill Troll Kings with the spell Mera.

Superstar Quest 118 (After the ending, Gubiana) Kill Clown Heads with Fire Breath (Minstrel Skill 4pts). (Clown Heads self destruct when they are low on HP. Scary).

Okay, thanks a lot - btw, happen to know how to get rid of the terrible tattoo when you've equipped it? Do you need to die or?

Edit: I just had to use benediction to remove the curse.

Go to the church and get a benediction.

Argh I confused magic staff with the staff skill tree >.> Its magic wands in this version

Argh I confused magic staff with the staff skill tree >.> Its magic wands in this version

If you've spent many points in staff already you can consider become a Martial Artist if it is your main character - otherwise it's just to create a new companion of it was one of them you did this with. :)

I did it with my priest but im too lazy to make a new char and level -.-. Eh its fine I have my mage going down the wand path

I got the guidebook, so I now added all of the English. Hopefully that will help prevent that sort of error in the future.

Hearing reports saying that the "make money making alchemy" doesn't work as they removed one of the required items.

Hearing reports saying that the "make money making alchemy" doesn't work as they removed one of the required items.

Hmm, I'll check that out. Since out the recipeies are still mentioned in the guide book, my theory is that people just aren't looking in the right place for the Lambswool since you get it from a guy in the back of the church in Batsureg.

In fact, I checked the guidebook, and everything should be there.

Edit: It ends up I wan't paying enough attention when I wrote the English names. As I stated in this post the wool is in Batsureg. Sorry for writing the mistake.

Once you get Half Inch, you always have a steal chance no matter what job you're in, right?

Also, does Deftness or Agility determine your steal chance? If it's Deftness (which you would think it should be), you could take any character (preferably melee like warrior/gladiator so you're always hitting instead of casting spells, etc) and stack Deftness gear, and have a steal chance with every hit? Does it work that way?

While I have the guide, the alchemy list is abit long and I sometimes lose my place trying to find out what to keep and what to sell.

I'm still early in the game(before the second boss) and was wanting to know if there are any early pieces of equipment that I should keep around for it. I don't have the option for alchemy yet and I don't want to mess up getting any possible decent items.

Once you get Half Inch, you always have a steal chance no matter what job you're in, right?

Also, does Deftness or Agility determine your steal chance? If it's Deftness (which you would think it should be), you could take any character (preferably melee like warrior/gladiator so you're always hitting instead of casting spells, etc) and stack Deftness gear, and have a steal chance with every hit? Does it work that way?

You can use Half Inch no matter what job you are, but you have to use it to steal. Just having the skill doesn't make it so that you steal. Latter on there is an item you gain for a certain Thief quest that allows you to auto steal though.

By increasing Deftness you indeed increase your chance at stealing. Though certain monsters are still harder to steal from then others.

While I have the guide, the alchemy list is abit long and I sometimes lose my place trying to find out what to keep and what to sell.

I'm still early in the game(before the second boss) and was wanting to know if there are any early pieces of equipment that I should keep around for it. I don't have the option for alchemy yet and I don't want to mess up getting any possible decent items.

There is nothing that you can't get latter if your goal is just to have 100% complete. I can't think of anything early on that gives you that much of an advantage over the stores. The Japanese guidebook has a nice reverse look up for recipes, so if there is anything in particular you would like me to look up I can do that for you.

Well, it's mostly stuff that I have on me, like Plain clothes, Wayfarer's clothes, Leather Armor. I looked through the list for any possible early stuff that can be used, but I'm not sure if I might have missed it or not, so I'm not sure if it's fine to sell it or not.

(I remember on DQ8 copying down everything that wasn't used in a recipe, so that way I wouldn't have to deprive myself of needed gold on future playthroughs)

BattleMaster Quest 103 (Dharma/Abbey) Must use the Sword Skill Dragon Cut on slimes while being in Super High Tension (Can be accomplished through cheering).

Does this count if you use Dragon Slash on the Slimes by the Abbey, who have more HP, are much less likely to escape, and turn into Slime Stacks?

I believe it does as long as you kill them before they form into a slime stack, same with the slimes that form a King Slime outside of Bloomingale as long as they are in Slime form it should work.

I honestly just used the ones outside of Angel Falls.

Mera is known as Frizz in the US, right?

Mera is known as Frizz in the US, right?

I think so. Frizz doesn't sound all that flame like to me, but mera is the Japanese sound of a fire burning.

Does this count if you use Dragon Slash on the Slimes by the Abbey, who have more HP, are much less likely to escape, and turn into Slime Stacks?

This is really easy if you have a priest. Just have your Hero Egg On up another character with Dragon Slash, and have the priest put the slime to sleep. If you don't, the slimes will run away most of the time before you reach max tension. Do this on the slimes just outside Angel Falls. Easy to kill in 1 hit, and easy to sleep

You guys are way overthinking this.

It can be any slime, I believe.

It just has to be someone with Dragon Cut. So turn your party into level 1 characters, one of which can use a sword (Thief, for example) and Dragon Cut. Then just Psyche Up + Egg On 4+ times and let loose.

It took me all of 2 fights. I might have just got lucky, however.

It just has to be someone with Dragon Cut. So turn your party into level 1 characters, one of which can use a sword (Thief, for example) and Dragon Cut. Then just Psyche Up + Egg On 4+ times and let loose.

No, you're right, it's THAT easy. I did the same exact thing.

I just used war cry to keep the Slime from running. Easy peasy :)