darkjak951

What anime are you watching?

And they write "Hal" when they say "Haru". Either one is correct, BUT NOT BOTH!

Legoshi's inner monologues remind me a lot of myself. "HOW DO I ASK HER NAME? WHAT IS HER NAME? WHY WOULD I NEED TO KNOW HER NAME? WHAT IS A NAME!?"

"Els" is pronounced "Ellis" (both are close enough I'd say either is legitimate, but a transliteration of "エルス" would be "Elus" or "Erus".) It's not so much the specific pronunciation or spelling that bothers me, it's the fact that they aren't consistent with each other.

I just realized Jack is voiced by the same guy that plays Haida in Aggretsuko.

Jelly Doughnuts

Well, Erdrick had a mental breakdown while watching Beastars. Either that or he’s losing it due to quarantine.

I’m thinking next I’ll watch season 2 of One Punch Man or start watching Demon Slayer. I’ve been recording both from Adult Swim via the DVR (the former ended a while ago) but I haven’t been able to watch them. I won’t be going to work much so I may as well finally sit down and watch one of them.

47 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well, Erdrick had a mental breakdown while watching Beastars. Either that or he’s losing it due to quarantine.

I’m thinking next I’ll watch season 2 of One Punch Man or start watching Demon Slayer. I’ve been recording both from Adult Swim via the DVR (the former ended a while ago) but I haven’t been able to watch them. I won’t be going to work much so I may as well finally sit down and watch one of them.

I'm assuming that's in response to "Jelly Doughnuts"... I watched Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution right after I ran out of Beastars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I'm assuming that's in response to "Jelly Doughnuts"... I watched Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution right after I ran out of Beastars.

No, it was in response to the barrage of comments you left just from watching Beastars.

Sometimes I'm too lazy to hit the edit button. Doubly so when I'm watching something because sometimes hitting edit on the den will lag out my phone's entire connection - be it wifi or cellular.

You can explain it however you want, but to me it just looks like Beastars made you have a breakdown and sporadic thoughts. 🤣

Jeez. Usually it’s me spamming the anime thread. In regards to Beastars, the animation looks hideous to me, Haru especially, so I’m gonna pick up the manga some time instead. I hear it’s ending soon.

Anyways, well before this virus situation became the only thing you heard about on the news, I was reading I Am a Hero, which is a manga about a zombie virus outbreak (that can infect you if you get any of their gore or blood in your mouth or eyes btw...). It’s almost a miracle it exists. I want to know how it was marketed. You go nearly the entire first volume before you even glimpse a zombie, and you instead get an adult man struggling in his manga career and constantly complaining about the industry. The first chapter is him messing around in his bedroom. Chapters read really quick too. It must have been a nightmare reading it week-to-week.

It moves at a brisk pace but it doesn’t start to take itself seriously until about volume 7 or 8 and that’s when it starts to be more enjoyable. The zombies are also more than you’d expect from generic shambling, mindless zombies. And, of course, the gimmick of a zombie apocalypse in Japan, a country with a strict ban on guns, starring a man with a permit to own one, is a clever take on apocalypse fiction you can’t get in the USA.

50 minutes ago, eal said:

Usually it’s me spamming the anime thread.

In his mental breakdown Erdrick thought he must have been you at some point. 🤣

51 minutes ago, eal said:

In regards to Beastars, the animation looks hideous to me,

Out of curiosity, how so? I didn’t mind the 3D model work for the show. I found it jarring though when you could tell there were 2D animated characters next to the models, but it was whatever after awhile.

Yeah, I'm not generally a fan of 2D-painted-over-3D. Characters stay so rediculously on-model, but a lot of the visual depth is lost, so every movement looks forced and unnatural. This is true of all shows, not just Beastars or even anime in general.

41 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Out of curiosity, how so? I didn’t mind the 3D model work for the show. I found it jarring though when you could tell there were 2D animated characters next to the models, but it was whatever after awhile.

It’s definitely a “me” thing. I just hate the way it looks, the way CG anime move. I know that Beastars was animated by the CG anime studio (Orange, who also did Land of the Lustrous, another show praised for its animation), but I don’t like it. So mix an experimental hit-or-miss style of animation with human/animal hybrids and it’s a recipe for disaster for me. Haru especially looks horrifying. I think it’s the eyes.

Judging by the online reception, I’m clearly in the minority.

22 minutes ago, eal said:

It’s definitely a “me” thing. I just hate the way it looks, the way CG anime move. I know that Beastars was animated by the CG anime studio (Orange, who also did Land of the Lustrous, another show praised for its animation), but I don’t like it. So mix an experimental hit-or-miss style of animation with human/animal hybrids and it’s a recipe for disaster for me. Haru especially looks horrifying. I think it’s the eyes.

Judging by the online reception, I’m clearly in the minority.

Yeah, her eyes are a bit odd since everyone else has relatively normal eyes. I’m not sure why they did that. I figure it was a design choice for one reason or another.

Didn’t the studio also do the animations for Fire Emblem Echoes? I remember hearing a few years ago that the studio who did the animation for the 3D cutscenes in Echoes was a big deal, but I could be remembering wrong.

11 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Didn’t the studio also do the animations for Fire Emblem Echoes? I remember hearing a few years ago that the studio who did the animation for the 3D cutscenes in Echoes was a big deal, but I could be remembering wrong.

Echoes was animated by Khara, the studio founded by Hideaki Anno, the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion, who founded the studio to make those Rebuild movies. The only other thing of note the studio has done is The Dragon Dentist anime and an episode-length OVA for Gravity Rush that bridged the gap between the two games.

16 minutes ago, eal said:

Echoes was animated by Khara, the studio founded by Hideaki Anno, the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion, who founded the studio to make those Rebuild movies. The only other thing of note the studio has done is The Dragon Dentist anime and an episode-length OVA for Gravity Rush that bridged the gap between the two games.

Ok, the Evangelian part must be why I remembered it. Must have been because of what I read/remember mentioned the studio having some ties to Evangelian (in a sense) since I had heard of that series back then. Thanks for clarifying that.

The Bleach anime never got a proper ending so I’m happy for the fans that wanted it are getting it, but I’ve also never understood why they wanted it in the first place. I read the whole manga in a two month binge and I can tell you right now that the last arc was a stinker, a rushed one at that, and mine isn’t an unpopular opinion.

I've been watching season 2 of Tower of Druaga and Konosuba.

They are both fantastic.

I started One Piece in October 2018. I am about 20 episodes away from being caught up now. It was my goal to be caught up in one year. I failed that goal big time. Really glad that I am almost got caught up on it though. I am actually really liking it a lot. Outside of some of the dumb filler. I honestly wish I started this show earlier.

Anyone able to direct me to a dub for MHA? Looking for something to watch/listen to while I game/art

2 hours ago, Democrobot said:

Anyone able to direct me to a dub for MHA? Looking for something to watch/listen to while I game/art

Funimation’s own streaming service or Hulu.

Watching the Dragon Ball Z Kai marathon on Toonami tonight. They are doing it for folks who have been stuck at home. It’s starting off after Cell absorbed Android 17, so Perfect Cell will be showing up soon.