Sign in to follow this  
darkjak951

What anime are you watching?

On 2/25/2019 at 12:32 AM, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Finished Volume 7 of Bleach. First off, nostalgic as hell. Those early chapters have a certain pulpy feel to them. It's a very strong introduction arc in my opinion, especially the memories in the rain volume. Rukia is as amazing as I remember her to be. I think it's like one volume until I move into the arc everybody loves, Soul Society.

Also I like the little poems Kubo has at the beginning of every volume. Favorite being, "If I were the rain, could I connect with someone's heart, as the rain connects the eternally separated earth and sky."

I’m following your lead and reading Bleach as well. You could technically call it a re-read because I at least skimmed through, if not read, every storyline except the Soul Society Arc. Anyways, I wanted to read all of what Viz has for members on their site (minus Rurouni Kenshin and any other work by Nobuhiro Watsuki) and Bleach is probably the longest series on their site I’ve yet to completely read, aside from the still ongoing One Piece that I’m chipping through bit by bit.

The criticism he gets is that later parts have no backgrounds, but honestly, the dude used a lot of speed lines in early chapters as well. Also, I’m pretty sure it’s the assistants that work on backgrounds anyways, right?

6 hours ago, eal said:

I’m following your lead and reading Bleach as well. You could technically call it a re-read because I at least skimmed through, if not read, every storyline except the Soul Society Arc. Anyways, I wanted to read all of what Viz has for members on their site (minus Rurouni Kenshin and any other work by Nobuhiro Watsuki) and Bleach is probably the longest series on their site I’ve yet to completely read, aside from the still ongoing One Piece that I’m chipping through bit by bit.

The criticism he gets is that later parts have no backgrounds, but honestly, the dude used a lot of speed lines in early chapters as well. Also, I’m pretty sure it’s the assistants that work on backgrounds anyways, right?

Cool. How far are you? I finished volume 15 today.

1 hour ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Cool. How far are you? I finished volume 15 today.

Nearly done with 5. I started Wednesday or Thursday. This is about when the dialogue gets more sparse and it just becomes pages upon pages without dialogue so it should be brisk from here. Well, as brisk as another 70 volumes can be at this pace. You can definitely tell Kubo was making things up as he went along as early as the first year of serialization.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, eal said:

Nearly done with 5. I started Wednesday or Thursday. This is about when the dialogue gets more sparse and it just becomes pages upon pages without dialogue so it should be brisk from here. Well, as brisk as another 70 volumes can be at this pace. You can definitely tell Kubo was making things up as he went along as early as the first year of serialization.

I´m not sure it´s so easy to tell, everything seems pretty good when it comes to foreshadowing and planning ahead. Might change later but I think it´s fine.

I finished volume 21 today. That was basically through the end of Soul Society to the very beginning of Arrancar. Ichigo vs Byakuya was still an amazing fight and the full color chapter ¨Black Moon Rising,¨for Ichigo´s bankai was hype. The Aizen reveal was as great as I remember. I know a lot of people just flat out dislike Bleach after Soul Society and I haven´t read it in quite a while, so with this reread I´ll see if that dislike holds water.

I generally love Bleach´s aesthetic and hype moments, but there´s a strong thematic core in it as well, I feel. Mainly in Ichigo´s changing perspective when it comes to ¨protecting,¨people. Though that´s typical of Shonen.

Saw this video on vengeance in Bleach, thought it was good, especially using Kubo´s poems to connect everything.

Spoiler

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

5 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

I´m not sure it´s so easy to tell, everything seems pretty good when it comes to foreshadowing and planning ahead. Might change later but I think it´s fine.

I finished volume 21 today. That was basically through the end of Soul Society to the very beginning of Arrancar. Ichigo vs Byakuya was still an amazing fight and the full color chapter ¨Black Moon Rising,¨for Ichigo´s bankai was hype. The Aizen reveal was as great as I remember. I know a lot of people just flat out dislike Bleach after Soul Society and I haven´t read it in quite a while, so with this reread I´ll see if that dislike holds water.

I generally love Bleach´s aesthetic and hype moments, but there´s a strong thematic core in it as well, I feel. Mainly in Ichigo´s changing perspective when it comes to ¨protecting,¨people. Though that´s typical of Shonen.

Saw this video on vengeance in Bleach, thought it was good, especially using Kubo´s poems to connect everything.

Reveal hidden contents

It’s very easy to tell. Just from the first 5 dozen chapters you can tell Ichigo’s dad and his past as a Soul Reaper wasn’t something he was thinking of. Even later on, I remember the return of the Fullbringers was like one panel, and then what felt like 100 chapters later they re-appeared, did something, and then disappeared. 

My opinion is controversial in that the  Hueco Mundo Arc is my favorite, mostly because I liked the structure of the fights and Nel is my favorite character in all of Bleach. I totally fell for the hype hook, line, and sinker when she flashed her “3” tattoo even though I’ve read my share of shonen manga and should know not to fall for those power level reveal moments. I still crack a smile when I re-read her fight. As for what I meant about the structure of the fights, I liked how Ichigo battled two characters one after the other for what felt like forever while Uryu and Renji, for whatever reason, fought the same guy with a much lower power level at the same time. The last minute ass-pull save for Ichigo and Uryu and Renji I can forgive because of how savage and creative Mayuri’s fight was.

Just finished "goodbye, halcyon days," very good volume. I like most of the fights in the Arrancar arc and it's fun getting to see the characters in a more slice of lifey setting for a bit until Hueco Mundo. Orihime is a much more compelling character than I remember, I dunno what it was that I disliked back then. Maybe it was shipper bias? I was a big Ichiruki guy. I think Kubo did a good job with her so far.

Also looks like Ichigo went to the Kaneki Ken school of "MUST PROTECC."

So I finally finished all of Bleach. This time around I actually really liked Fullbringer. Thousand Year Blood War was also good in my opinion. I wanna post more extended thoughts, but for now, rankings:

Arc Rankings:

1. Hueco Mundo
  2. Fake Karakura Town
  3. Soul Society
  4. Lost Agent
  5. Thousand Year Blood War
  6. Deicide
  7. Arrancar Invasion
  8. Agent of the Death God

Character Ranking:

1. Rukia Kuchiki
  2. Ulquiorra Cifer
  3. Orihime Inoue
  4. Ichigo Kurosaki
  5. Aizen Sōsuke

Fight Ranking:

1. Ichigo vs Ulquiorra
  2. Rukia vs As Nodt
  3. Mayuri vs Szyael Aporro
  4. Ichigo vs Aizen
  5. Ichigo vs Byakuya
  6. Kenpachi vs Nnoitra
  7. Nel vs Nnoitra
  8. Kenpachi vs Gremmy 
  9. Rukia vs Arraniero
  10. Uryuu vs Haschwalth 

2 hours ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

So I finally finished all of Bleach. This time around I actually really liked Fullbringer. Thousand Year Blood War was also good in my opinion. I wanna post more extended thoughts, but for now, rankings:

Arc Rankings:

1. Hueco Mundo
  2. Fake Karakura Town
  3. Soul Society
  4. Lost Agent
  5. Thousand Year Blood War
  6. Deicide
  7. Arrancar Invasion
  8. Agent of the Death God

Character Ranking:

1. Rukia Kuchiki
  2. Ulquiorra Cifer
  3. Orihime Inoue
  4. Ichigo Kurosaki
  5. Aizen Sōsuke

Fight Ranking:

1. Ichigo vs Ulquiorra
  2. Rukia vs As Nodt
  3. Mayuri vs Szyael Aporro
  4. Ichigo vs Aizen
  5. Ichigo vs Byakuya
  6. Kenpachi vs Nnoitra
  7. Nel vs Nnoitra
  8. Kenpachi vs Gremmy 
  9. Rukia vs Arraniero
  10. Uryuu vs Haschwalth 

I just logged in to comment on my progress too!

My flight (I’m on vacation right now) got all kerfuffled so I pretty much spent the last like 4 hours reading Bleach. I’ve read from the start of Rukia’s fight with the 9th Espada (you can’t pay me to even attempt to spell out his name) all the way through to Kenpachi’s fight with Nnoitra Gilga. I have a three hour layover so I might read through Ichigo’s fight with Ulquiorra before I get on the plane.

I still fall for it when Nel shows her “3” tattoo, but it sucks she really only get a couple chapters to show off before she gets shunted away and no one comments on her again for like 200 chapters.

Aaaaaand done with Bleach. Yeesh, that last Arc was as bad as I remember, except maybe a little worse because even though it didn’t feel like it was dragging anymore, the way fights flowed became way more dreadful. It doesn’t help that those were his worst character designs in the whole series. Basically, every chapter is “here’s my hidden power,” the other guy is shocked, the attacker acts full of himself, and then the other it fires back his own hidden power. Rinse and repeat within the same fight for like 8-10 chapters. It made it so you never actually knew when the fight was over until it transitioned into the next fight.

The truncated nature of the last 20 chapters also hurt the ending. Three fan favorite characters and one’s brother needlessly introduced at the last minute maybe died? It was unclear accept for Nel saying she was going to save them maybe. You don’t see it happen, just her talking about it, and they don’t reappear in the last two chapters. Also, extra credit for shoving Nel out of the story three times. And we never did find out what happened to Harribel.

I also forgot that Chad literally did nothing the whole series and had almost no successful fights accept for against some jobber during the Hueco Mundo Arc. His contribution to the final battle was staying behind to fight golems!

At least one positive coming out of this re-read was I actually developed a fondness for Sajin Komamura that I didn’t be expect, and I thought his fight with Tosen was probably one of the best fights in the series, because it was about two friends battling each other while shouting their ideals at each other, a staple of any shonen manga.

I wanted to read a short manga as a palate cleanser after reading Bleach, which was 74 volumes. So I picked up Genkaku Picasso, a short, 3 volume manga I’d been wanting to read since I read the first chapter preview a couple years ago in Shonen Jump.

It started out...okay. Like, the formula was starting to get boring and the stories weren’t interesting. But then, out of nowhere came a storyline about a trans character that to date is one of the most compassionate and well written stories about that kind of experience I might have ever seen in Japanese media. It was a worthwhile read just for that one chunk of story, and thankfully, the manga as a whole picked up after that. Just something I wanted to share since it surprised me and it was just a good story on its own about accepting yourself and being accepted by others.

Season 2 of Aggretsuko will be out on June 14! I enjoyed the show more than I was expecting too, so I’m looking forward to season 2.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/21/the-aggretsuko-second-season-will-arrive-on-netflix-on-june-14-2019/

Posted (edited)

Two of my favorite anime of all time are Nana and Honey and Clover, both of which were licensed by Viz Media and are long out of print. Worse yet, you can’t even stream them! My luck, two of my favorite shows and I can’t own or even watch them.

This week, that changed for Honey and Clover at least. Both the sub and dub have been put on Crunchyroll, and the rumor mill seems to indicate this mean Discotek is gonna re-release it. Let me just say, Honey and Clover was one of those shows I watched at the literal exact right time when I did, as there wasn’t a single main character I couldn’t relate to at that point in my life. It’s by the same lady that did March comes in like a lion. Fingers crossed those re-release rumors are true.

Speaking of Discotek releases, just as a bit of a ramble, one of the shows from my youth I longed to revisit was Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier. It was in a bizarre licensing limbo or something and never came out on any physical media except for like the first handful of episodes. A couple years ago, Discotek picked it up but there had been little word about it afterwards, aside from it being a total nightmare making the show watchable. I listened to a fascinating episode of the ANNcast podcast where the guest, who was the guy working on the Blu Ray, broke down what a complete mess the show was in and what he had to do to get it into a presentable state. Some of the crazy things they talked about just made me want it more. I pre-ordered my copy and look forward to watching that blast from the past!

Also! Millennium Actress is returning to theaters! Perfect Blue by the same director ended up being one of my favorite movies of all time, and Millennium Actress is said to be even better than Perfect Blue. Can’t wait to find out in a few months.

Edited by eal

Never mind.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit