What anime are you watching?

50 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
57 minutes ago, eal said:
I went to the DBZ double feature last night and there was a lot more Hitler then I could have possibly imagined in Fusion Reborn. You see him for like four seconds and think he’s a joke cameo because the dead are roaming the Earth and it’s a funny ha-ha, but then you see him again...and then some more. Then about the time Trunks and Goten go Super Saiyan and Hitler makes a joke about how he should recruit them (blonde hair and blue eyes) you start to realize he’s actually the b-plot villain.

The art style for the Nazis always seemed really strange to me in that movie. Particularly un-Toriyama-esque.

It was weird because the Nazis and Goten and Trunks moved in a more...I guess “choppy” is the right word?...way. I I think there were just fewer frames of animation to make it more goofy and they all had black outlines as well. They didn’t really do this with the other gag scenes of the undead roaming the Earth.

Also, the opening credits were attached to it and I forgot how mad and pissy Videl looked, like, all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best one is the one called Newman. His evil is so great the main character always says, "Hello, Newman," whenever he arrives.

I have lately been watching a plethora of mecha anime including Gundam SeeD(just finished), Escaflowne, and Code Geass. However, the one anime that has been REALLY grabbing my attention lately was Dea

I didn't mind Vic at first. He has no real vocal range, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can act and as long as he's not voicing numerous characters in one thing.   But then a fr

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Caught up on Golden Wind, and finished My Hero Academia last night.

Guess I'll be searching crunchy roll for something new later.

Any particular genre?

Also, hot damn! Netflix is gonna stream Evangelion next year!

Edited by eal
5 hours ago, eal said:

Any particular genre?

Not really. There's plenty of good stuff on Crunchy Roll that I've never gotten around to, and if I run out of things to watch, I can always resume where I left off with One Piece, like 700 Episodes ago :P

As for now I'm watching Mob Psycho and Skull-faced Bookseller Honda

As much fun as the Broly movie looks, I can't help but get the distinct feeling the entire plot has basically already been spoiled. All that's left is the outcome of the fight.

Incidentally, Gogeta Trailer Hype:

Not anime, but I went incredibly out of my way and spent what was left of my night yesterday constructing an IKEA bookcase for my manga. While putting everything on the shelf, I noticed I was missing like 70 volumes. I know for a fact about 30 are still at my parent’s house, and I’m confident another 30 are probably over there as well, but there are like 5-6 volumes totally unaccounted for. I know with certainty I had them here. I remember flipping through them months ago. But I can’t find them anywhere. But even without those, I still have a whole storage tub left of manga, and the entire shelf is full, and I really don’t want to go to IKEA again.

• 2 weeks later...

I was excited to hear a few days ago that Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex was getting another season. Kamiyama is returning to direct so I have high hopes despite the full 3DCG. GiTS is no stranger to CG and it meshes well with the aesthetic so I’m not too concerned.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Sorry for the double post.

I want to talk about the Rebuilds. I recently re-watched all of them. My opinion on them is as follows. 1.0 is Eva as Eva is. 2.0 is Eva as the fans want Eva to be. 3.0 is Eva as Anno sees Eva. I cannot overstate how much I disliked 2.0. Though I appreciate what it's going for. It's one big screw you from Anno to the fans. Shinji becomes confident, Rei stands up for herself, Asuka becomes less of a #$*!, etc. Everything becomes super idealized. The fact it betrays the show is the point though, it's Anno going "Is this not what you wanted? Are you not entertained?"

1.0 is largely irrelevant, just a worse version of the first six episodes with nicer animation.

3.0 is the biggest criticism of the fans, with the "Curse of Eva," in the movie being a not so subtle jab at the fans who have clung to the show for the 14 years since End of Evangelion to the release of 3.0. But still having an ultimately hopeful ending. That despite the fact fans have wasted 14 years clinging to the show as a means of escapism, it's never too late to accept reality and find happiness. As the lyrics of the credits song goes, "Everybody finds love in the end."

With that, I'd say 3.0 is the only great one. Now I await 3.0+1.0.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Zombie Land Saga. I liked it closer to the beginning when it just ran with its own absurdity, but even though all the backstories didn't really work for me (outside of Lily's), It was pretty good overall. Looking forward to another season!

Thought this was a good analysis of Evangelion. It's 40 minutes so I don't really expect anyone to watch it. But it was the best Evangelion analysis I'd ever seen, so I thought it was worth sharing.

I watched the Christmas episode of Aggretsuko “We Wish You a Metal Christmas,” and I’m kind of mixed on it to be honest. I felt bad for Hyda considering what happens at the start of the episode, and honestly Retsuko wasn’t very likeable in the episode. Other elements of the episode were good (and funny) however, and the ending was nice.

Looking forward to season 2.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I was surprised that Back Street Girls didn’t get picked up for streaming when it came out. Even trashy garbage will get licensed by someone. So I was surprised to find out that, not only was it picked up, Netflix of all places is streaming it. It’s dubbed by very reputable actors (Makoto Nijima/Lucy from Fairy Tail is voicing someone!), so I want to watch it just for that reason alone, but I share Netflix with my whole family and I really don’t want someone to see that I watched Back Street Girls. With today’s political climate, I’m surprised Netflix took a risk on such a low rent show with the subject matter that it has. 

Edited by eal
I was surprised that Back Street Girls didn’t get picked up for streaming when it came out. Even trashy garbage will get licensed by someone. So I was surprised to find out that, not only was it picked up, Netflix of all places is streaming it. It’s dubbed by very reputable actors (Makoto Nijima/Lucy from Fairy Tail is voicing someone!), so I want to watch it just for that reason alone, but I share Netflix with my whole family and I really don’t want someone to see that I watched Back Street Girls. With today’s political climate, I’m surprised Netflix took a risk on such a low rent show with the subject matter that it has. 
You could've just told us Back Street's back, alright!
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Guess who’s just insane enough to try and read all 77 volumes of Gintama before it ends in February.

The guy who isn’t as insane as the one trying to catch up to One Piece by before April.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to see Dragon Ball Super: Broly today. All I have to say is...

I like what they did with Broly in the film. I’ll be curious if they do anything with him again in the future.

Taking my husband through My Hero Academia on Blu-ray.  He's really invested in it!  I'm staying ahead of the show with the manga.  Read 2 out of the 11 volumes I have collected.

• Like 1

A movie I kept seeing advertised on Facebook called Lu Over the Wall is releasing on Blu-Ray/DVD tomorrow. It seemed like an interesting movie, and after watching a trailer and some scenes from the movie it looks good. Bouncy animation, a cute design for the titular character Lu, and seems like a nice story. Maybe it’s my imagination, but the animation/character design seems familiar, though I’m not sure from what. Not being much of an anime guy it’s hard to say, but I’m up for checking out a new movie regardless.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

A movie I kept seeing advertised on Facebook called Lu Over the Wall is releasing on Blu-Ray/DVD tomorrow. It seemed like an interesting movie, and after watching a trailer and some scenes from the movie it looks good. Bouncy animation, a cute design for the titular character Lu, and seems like a nice story. Maybe it’s my imagination, but the animation/character design seems familiar, though I’m not sure from what. Not being much of an anime guy it’s hard to say, but I’m up for checking out a new movie regardless.

Maasaki Yuasa, who also directed Devilman Crybaby.

Just now, eal said:

Maasaki Yuasa, who also directed Devilman Crybaby.

That’s where I recognized the style! I haven’t watched Devilman, but I did see rebeltaxi talk about the show over on YouTube. I noticed the animation style right away. Makes sense why Lu Over the Wall caught my eye.

Noragami has filled a certain hole in my heart. Despite the slow pace of recent chapters the current arc is top tier for me.

Gintama has been good. I dunno if I'll catch up in time for the ending this month but I'll keep reading it.

Also think I'm gonna reread Bleach soon.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians