What anime are you watching?

33 minutes ago, eal said:

Read Blue Exorcist.

Eal, are you under the impression that I'll just read whatever series you offhandedly mention?

Because your kind of right if you are.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best one is the one called Newman. His evil is so great the main character always says, "Hello, Newman," whenever he arrives.

I didn't mind Vic at first. He has no real vocal range, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can act and as long as he's not voicing numerous characters in one thing.   But then a fr

I have lately been watching a plethora of mecha anime including Gundam SeeD(just finished), Escaflowne, and Code Geass. However, the one anime that has been REALLY grabbing my attention lately was Dea

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Eal, are you under the impression that I'll just read whatever series you offhandedly mention?

It’s shonen action and honestly the first four volumes are as generic as they come, but it’s like a light switched on during the Impure King arc. Then all the average “reckless, carefree younger brother protagonist” and “smart, coolheaded, uptight younger brother” trope stuff suddenly becomes a totally different manga.

The themes I’ve taken away is “perspective” and “identity.” Rin, the older brother, is jealous of his brother’s smarts and his popularity. He’s everything he lacks, but he’s proud of him and uses sibling rivalry to drive him to improve in a healthy way. He doesn’t resent his brother, he loves him. While Yukio views himself as weak and cowardly compared to Rin, but despite driving himself to be better, he still hates himself and does incredibly reckless, even heartless, things to surpass his brother in a very unhealthy way.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:14 PM, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

I've been pulled by the power of the eal before myself.

26 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I've been pulled by the power of the eal before myself.

Yeah, and you read all my weirdest recommendations. I know you read Prison School and you mentioned accidentally reading To-Love Ru Darkness before the original series.

Yeah, and you read all my weirdest recommendations. I know you read Prison School and you mentioned accidentally reading To-Love Ru Darkness before the original series.
I recently accidentally swiped away the tab on my phone's browser where I was reading that and now I have no clue what issue I was on. It's T-Ru-ly gone.

I've acquired both DVD volumes of Z Gundam, in my seemingly unending quest to watch the Universal Century series in chronological order.

I'm afraid I cheated a bit though, and watched the first 2 episodes of 0083 before finishing anything before it, just 'cause "The Winner" is an awesome theme song.

Hey, an episode of FLCL progressive that wasn't trash! It's still not up to par with the original, but that was a whole lot better. I'm hoping to go through life never hearing, "HIBAJIRI!!!!" again. Like Lee Greenwood.

5 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

The end of an era is upon us. With the final chapter of Tokyo Ghoul:re being tomorrow. I'll give a whole spiel about it tomorrow just as catharsis.

Watch them announce a part three: Tokyo Ghoul ;StART. It’ll follow an ancillary character for 80+ chapters, only to then shift the focus back to Kaneki as he gets a new hair color. He’s done white and black a few times, and red once, so maybe he’ll do blue next time because he’s sad about something.

There’ll be 250 new videos on YouTube within the hour of hastily translated leaked pages stolen off the back of a truck about his new hair color where everyone breaks down panel-by-panel what his blue hair represents, going all the way back to a single line of mistranslated dialogue in chapter 92 of the original series that might indicate its meaning. They’ll probably come to the conclusion that it signifies an Oedipus Complex or something.

I don't know man, self enucleation of the eyes seems pretty Oedipal to me.

Spoiler

Also I'm pretty sure this is a misconception but his hair was never red. The recent anime shows he had black hair as reaper.

1 minute ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

I don't know man, self enucleation of the eyes seems pretty Oedipal to me.

Hide contents

Also I'm pretty sure this is a misconception but his hair was never red. The recent anime shows he had black hair as reaper.

Just another reason for people to #$*! about how they don’t like the anime.

Unpopular opinion, I think the reshuffled timeline of events in the first season of the anime made way more sense then the manga’s. The Hinami bit felt like a climax to the rising action throughout 9 episodes of anime, but it was one of the first arcs of the manga. I’m also glad they cut cut most of Banjo’s stuff since he’s more of a confidant unnecessary to the story for the most part (his critical roles could all be replaced with another character of equal importance). However, because they still kept him in it in certain parts, it did feel a little wonky. He had stuff in Season 1, then appeared for four seconds in Season 2. Okay, we could’ve seen like a bit more of him then that.

Also, Kaneki joing Aogiri Tree made plenty of sense, and I even think it was Ishida himself who came up with the idea. We got to see more of Touka’s brother, who is shockingly absent after his defeat in the manga, he doesn’t work with Shu, something I thought was insane for him to do in the manga. Side note: people thought it was ridiculous that Kaneki would join Aogiri to protect his friends but thought it made sense to align with someone who spent a whole arc like 20 chapters prior trying desperately to eat him through the most elaborate method one can devise. Important cut content aside, the bit I disliked the most in the anime was the wasted like 9 minutes of walking with a dead body and presenting it to the CCG. Beautiful scene, but the exact opposite of Tokyo Ghoul.

34 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Final score for TG re 8/10.

Okay final chapter I guess?

What’s next for TheKingOfTheDragovians?

14 minutes ago, eal said:

What’s next for TheKingOfTheDragovians?

Find a new weekly.  Wait for Ishida's next work. Vinland Saga is a new monthly I picked up and I absolutely love it. 

Finish Pandora Hearts and 20th Century Boys.

Live with purpose and generally ponder deep and poetic things.

4 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Find a new weekly.  Wait for Ishida's next work. Vinland Saga is a new monthly I picked up and I absolutely love it. 

Finish Pandora Hearts and 20th Century Boys.

Live with purpose and generally ponder deep and poetic things.

You know what’s weekly? Promised Neverland.

3 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Is it generally deep and poetic though?

I think it’s a better Death Note then Death Note (unique hook, young geniuses, thriller about outwitting your opponent) without the wall of text, plot contrivances, and insufferable, poorly written female characters.

6 minutes ago, eal said:

Leave it to the guy that wrote Death Note to write a horrible chapter in Platinum End about the suicide debate.

Especially when Tokyo Ghoul already made the best one with the Cochlea arc.

6 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Especially when Tokyo Ghoul already made the best one with the Cochlea arc.

It boiled down to:

*It’s wrong

*People will miss you

*It disrupts people’s lives (they feel guilty, it makes the atmosphere miserable, etc.)

It was specifically about assisted suicide as well. That’s an important distinction because the kid arguing for it even referred to what he was doing as “death with dignity,” which I don’t think I’ve ever heard a person say outside of a debate class, and he went from deeply believing helping people that wanted to die was right to hearing those two talking points (even saying the second one was the most overused defense ever) and deciding that maybe he shouldn’t kill others and himself because it will cause trouble for people and giving up sort of.

You can’t even argue it’s a shonen manga so it needs to be safe when Blue Exorcist has had a character attempt suicide himself, and they handled the subject matter way better by integrating it into the story and making it a part of his development. This was just characters discussing it in a house and one guy, who obviously reflects the opinion opposite of the writer, decide it is wrong in the end.

The more famous example of suicide in manga is A Silent Voice, which handles it basically flawlessly and I would recommend anyone that needs some life affirming positivity to read it (not watch it just because the movie is short and looks pretty, it drops the ball in a lot of key moments). It’s only 7 volumes and very breezy at that.

FLCL Progressive...

That was garbage. Hot, stinky Mexican restaurant dumpster garbage.

This should not have been made. At all. Animation quality rose with the 4th and 5th episodes, but it went right back down with the finale. Even when you could tell an animator was trying, the frame rate was so bad it was cringeworthy. Animation quality can get a pass if the story is better, but there was no story to this. Hidomi was an awful, boring, unlikable, unrelatable protagonist. They slapped a masterpiece's name on a turd and sold it to us as delicious chocolatey desert. The directors and producers should be ashamed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, eal said:

Yassss. Viz is reprinting Urusei Yatsura. I am all about this.

That's awesome!  Are the launching a DVD or Blu Ray set of the whole series?

Also, I just showed a friend Summer Wars.  Ol' softie that I am, I always cry near the end... won't spoil for those who've not seen, but suffice to say when all seems lost near the end, a rare show of kindness and support for the heroes from the onlookers brings a tear to my eye.