What anime are you watching?

At Connecticon, I acquired an old favorite in it's purest, most complete form:  Samurai Troopers subtitled.

The series came to the states in the mid 90's as Ronin Warriors, and features 5 fighters in magic armor against a force of demons that suck all the electricity out of Tokyo and have their sights on the rest of Japan, and the world.

Here, have the Japanese intro!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best one is the one called Newman. His evil is so great the main character always says, "Hello, Newman," whenever he arrives.

I have lately been watching a plethora of mecha anime including Gundam SeeD(just finished), Escaflowne, and Code Geass. However, the one anime that has been REALLY grabbing my attention lately was Dea

I didn't mind Vic at first. He has no real vocal range, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can act and as long as he's not voicing numerous characters in one thing.   But then a fr

Posted Images

Fairy Tail Progress Report

Volume: 18

Current Best Girl: Juvia

So after mistakenly beginning with To Love Ru Darkness and getting through 20 chapters in 5 volumes in London (I kept thinking I'd been dropped into the middle of some other story), I found To Love Ru and have made my way up to Volume 3, chapter 22. Pretty funny.

I'm still watching Detective Conan but I guess the latest anime that I'm still watching is Dragon Ball Super. Haven't seen much Anime recently but hate the ones that only lasts like 12 episodes. haha

Enlighten me.

Also eal, you've recently watched the Fate series right? Good watch?

Honestly, if it's by UFOTable, it's at the very least, enjoyable.

Eal, if you like Illya, watch Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya...I mean, if you don't mind the loli fanservice...

I mentioned in one of those posts that I am. Eventually. More on that in the next paragraph. As for loli fan service, I don't really care. I love reading comments from people who watched it insisting that the fight between her and Saber Alter is one of the greatest fights ever and totally blows UFOtable's animation out of the water and this show is absolutely amazing. I watched the fight on YouTube. It's fine. Better then most anime fights, but not in its own class like they insist.

Anyways, I had plans to watch a few shows, but I guess I need to put them on hold for now. See, I have a few anime queued up on Hulu that I can't find on other streaming sites, but they're about to expire I assume within the month. So I have to watch them. Now. I assume it's because they're licensed by Sentai Filmworks and they're in bed with Amazon now.

Well if you're watching Season 1, it's regarded as the better season.

It doesn't get fanservicy up until they introduce Kuro/Chloe in season 2, then they crank the loli-fanservice to 11. Then they tone it down for season 4 because $#!& gets real.

I recently finished watching Little Witch Academia. It was a really cute anime with magical girls going on magical adventures and I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Duran

In my eternal quest for good anime I stumbled upon Psycho Pass, which I found out was written by Gen Urobuchi. I liked Fate/Zero quite  bit so I feel like giving this anime a shot, wish me luck.

Psycho-Pass is good. One of Digi's favorite anime too. I liked it well enough.

This season's anime has been completely stolen by Amazon, so I'm considering getting Anime Strike. I have Prime anyways so what's an extra $5 or so?

I finished Castlevania, which was entertaining.  I haven't seen a vampire anime I liked this much since Vampire Hunter D.

I started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, based on a recommendation from a friend. It's really dry and mostly about military battles in space and politics.  It sorta reminds me of the Battletech novels I've read, but so far the pacing is incredibly slow.  Upon further inspection the anime is based on Japanese novels about warfare in space, and the show itself feels like it stays very close to how a political novel paces. I'm on the fence about it. It's interesting, and I get the grand idea of what they're trying to accomplish, but I don't know if I like it yet.  I'm 2 episodes into the OVA series that started in 1988.  It's a fan-sub, but I believe it was picked up for a legit distribution a bunch of years ago.

So Fate/Apocrypha came out a while back. As a fan of the Fate series, I'll be checking that out

When My Love Story!! came out, I wanted to be ahead in the manga instead of the anime. Don't know why, it's an episodic series. Anyways, I'd mostly caught up with the manga when the dub came out, casting two of my favorite voice actors as 2/3 of the main cast: Austin Tindle (Ken Kaneki) and Tia Ballard. So I held out for the dub. Nearly done, I marathoned pretty much the whole show in three days. Probably will finish it on Wednesday or so.

Cool, season two of Seven Deadly Sins in January. Though with Netflix's release model, it's more likely to come out for us in summer.

Nearly finished with the first season of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. I quite enjoy it so far. Sure the writing isn't the best and certain characters act like idiots sometimes but the mecha action is top dog and I like Lelouch as a protagonist, his character was handled pretty well. I dunno if I wanna watch the later seasons as many say that's where it turns into Code Trainwreck. That and they aren't on Netflix, unlike the first season.

Maybe I'll just watch something with Shinichiro Watanabe's name on it.

Okay, so I'm watching Fate/Apocrypha

I really like the ambiguity of it all. Both sides have both endearing and repulsive characters. I'm curious to see how it all plays out.

Fairy Tail Progress Report:

Volume: 30

Current Best Girl: Evergreen, but Ultear is crazy hot as well

Current Best Arc: Sirius Island Arc

The last two arcs, the Oracion Seis and Edolas arcs, nearly broke me. They were atrocious and served almost no purpose aside from adding new members and some minor world building. Ironically enough, the last arc, Sirius Island, was my favorite even though it's twice as long as every other arc and it's generally not all that popular.

And leave it to Mashima to not even do a time-skip well. What usually happens during a time-skip? Well, characters get stronger and you get to see an older cast. Yeah, neither of those things happen. This time-skip trapped the strongest and most important characters in suspended animation, so they didn't age for 7 years. All the other members of Fairy Tail aged a bit, but they didn't get stronger. In fact, you'd think that without their strongest members, they'd prove their own worth by picking up the slack and getting stronger. Nope! They stayed their old, weak selves and get harassed and bullied by stronger guilds! So nobody got stronger, and the only characters that got older were minor, secondary characters.

Okay, so after 300 chapters, I think it's fair for me to comment on the most well known feature in Fairy Tail: its fan service. Shockingly, it was very limited up until the Edolas Arc, at which point it started to creep in. It became very noticeable during the Sirius Island Arc though, and almost overpowering in the Grand Magic Games Arc. The breasts just seem more fuller and voluminous then he used to draw them, if that makes sense. Like there's almost a weight to them that wasn't there before.

He also changed the way he draws bras and bikinis, so that you see the lower portion of the breast now, whereas a bra or bikini would originally cover the breast entirely. I wouldn't have picked up on this if I hadn't noticed that Cana Alberona, a character who walks around almost exclusively in a bikini top, looked somewhat different, even if I couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed the same thing with Lucy and all the other large breasted women and realized that he had made the boobs look bigger by altering the way the bikinis themselves fit.

He also takes advantage of unusual angles, and when someone takes damage, it's almost like he recognizes it as an opportunity to show boob in unique ways based on how much the damage ruined their clothes. I almost respect him as a craftsman if this is the case.

I am watching Code Geass for my crush best friend. Really good anime in my opinion so far, though the manga seemed better (Less mechs, and more politics).

I've been thinking about Howl's Moving Castle today. Listened through the soundtrack at work this afternoon, and man, it really made me want to watch the film again.

I know I bring the film up a lot in this topic, but it really is my favorite Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film. Not to mention I think it has a fantastic soundtrack, one I could listen to again and again along with Spirited Away's soundtrack.

I've been thinking about Howl's Moving Castle today. Listened through the soundtrack at work this afternoon, and man, it really made me want to watch the film again.

I know I bring the film up a lot in this topic, but it really is my favorite Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film. Not to mention I think it has a fantastic soundtrack, one I could listen to again and again along with Spirited Away's soundtrack.

I really like Miyazaki movies, though mostly for the visuals and music. I don't really get the plots usually. Though the Kaguya movie was legitimately the only movie that has made me cry in the last few years.

Finished Castlevania.

DAMN, was it good!

I came up with a banging new anime-watching method. I watch too much at once, and if I have too many options in front of me and I don't feel I can finish one before the day is over, it saps my will to try to finish anything. That's almost definitely my game backlog problem, and it was my anime problem too.

But with anime, I have a surefire solution. I dropped every show I'm currently watching into the "on hold" section, and focused exclusively on one show at a time. Crazy right?! I'll watch one show in "on hold" at a time until it's mostly been cleared out.

I tried a similar method on video games, focusing solely on one console of games at a time. I played a bunch of unfinished PS3 games that way and determined which games will never be finished and dumped them in a yard sale pile.

Anyways, I knocked out a few shows and determined which ones I won't be going back to, so now I plan on catching up to the anime from this season that I plan to watch. My issue is never staying on top of them and piling them up as part of the list of shows I still need to finish. I watch them early before I hear the buzz, going off my own intuition, only to not enjoy it after 2 episodes and leaving it unfinished. Now waiting three weeks deep gives me a chance to decide what sounds good, watching a good chunk of it, watching along from there, and all the while using the first three weeks to watch older stuff.

So I'm now watching Re:Creators, Restaurant into Another World, Gamers!, and Princess Principal. Maybe Made in Abyss too.

Edited by eal

Well I finally finished my rewatch of Dragonball and Dragonball Z. Just started Super and made the realization that I should've been watching DBZ Kai instead of DBZ.

I also started reading the Super manga, but I got SUPER pissed off when I got to the third chapter and it gave an editors note saying "If you want to see the full story behind Bulmas party, then watch the movie DBZ Battle of the Gods". Seriously. How lazy can you be? This is the manga...what is supposed to be the definitive version of Dragonball.

Didn't think I could be so disappointed by a DB manga.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Well I finally finished my rewatch of Dragonball and Dragonball Z. Just started Super and made the realization that I should've been watching DBZ Kai instead of DBZ.

I also started reading the Super manga, but I got SUPER pissed off when I got to the third chapter and it gave an editors note saying "If you want to see the full story behind Bulmas party, then watch the movie DBZ Battle of the Gods". Seriously. How lazy can you be? This is the manga...what is supposed to be the definitive version of Dragonball.

The manga in this case is a companion piece to the anime.

The manga in this case is a companion piece to the anime.
I'm beginning to realize this and am incredibly disappointed. When I was a kid the manga was always much cooler to me than the anime and not just because it had boobs.

The manga for Super is so rushed while the anime actually has more depth. I wish Toriyama had actually executed the Super concept by starting out with a manga and later adapting it to anime.