What anime are you watching?

I did actually think you finished the show. I rarely see people refer to Zero as two broken up seasons. Plus your comments on Rider. I imagined you based your opinion on him on stuff that happens later.....

Absolutely don't watch that video until your done.

Edited by eal
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best one is the one called Newman. His evil is so great the main character always says, "Hello, Newman," whenever he arrives.

I have lately been watching a plethora of mecha anime including Gundam SeeD(just finished), Escaflowne, and Code Geass. However, the one anime that has been REALLY grabbing my attention lately was Dea

I didn't mind Vic at first. He has no real vocal range, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can act and as long as he's not voicing numerous characters in one thing.   But then a fr

Posted Images

Its just that I saw it listed as two seasons, so I assumed thats how most people broke it up. Also I just really like Rider, and I see Waver as having the most potential for character developement. Rider's personality is just, infectious, his ideas of honor and the dream he wants to accomplish are admirable. Now that I think about it, he reminded me of Whitebeard from One Piece.

I didn't expect to like Fate/Zero so much. I'm gonna go to Unlimited Blade Works later. God the tragedy in this show is so depressing, I found Kariya's descent into madness to be especially disturbing. Kiritsugu Emiya is also one the best characters I've seen in a while imo. I know the boy Kiritsugu adopted and Tokiomi's daughter are both main characters in UBW, and I just need to see how they continued.

Also eal, I don't get why hate Saber so much, I thought she was a good character.

I don't hate her. She's just boring and dull and she shouldn't have millions of pieces of fan art and dozens of statues. I get she's the "mascot" so to speak, but she's just totally uninteresting.

Shiro Emiya is also pretty weak. Somehow, his sister with way less screentime then him manages to be more interesting. I also don't like tsunderes much and Rin Tohsaka is practically the poster girl for that type of character. Best girl did not win in that adaptation.

While going to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 today, I saw a stand at the movie theater for a Studio Ghibli film event for the rest of the year. Essentially on set days for the next few months, they'll be playing a different Studio Ghibli film, one per month. The order is My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle.

Not gonna lie, I would love to watch all these movies on the big screen. I've seen The Secret World of Arietty and The Wind Rises in theaters, but getting to see something like Spirited Away, Nausicaa, and my two favorite Ghibli films - Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky - on the big screen would be awesome.

The sad thing about AoT season three in 2018 is that they won't even get into the basement until season 4 if we only get another 12 episodes.

Enlighten me.

Also eal, you've recently watched the Fate series right? Good watch?

Honestly, if it's by UFOTable, it's at the very least, enjoyable.

Eal, if you like Illya, watch Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya...I mean, if you don't mind the loli fanservice...

Enlighten me.

Also eal, you've recently watched the Fate series right? Good watch?

Honestly, if it's by UFOTable, it's at the very least, enjoyable.

Eal, if you like Illya, watch Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Illya...I mean, if you don't mind the loli fanservice...

I mentioned in one of those posts that I am. Eventually. More on that in the next paragraph. As for loli fan service, I don't really care. I love reading comments from people who watched it insisting that the fight between her and Saber Alter is one of the greatest fights ever and totally blows UFOtable's animation out of the water and this show is absolutely amazing. I watched the fight on YouTube. It's fine. Better then most anime fights, but not in its own class like they insist.

Anyways, I had plans to watch a few shows, but I guess I need to put them on hold for now. See, I have a few anime queued up on Hulu that I can't find on other streaming sites, but they're about to expire I assume within the month. So I have to watch them. Now. I assume it's because they're licensed by Sentai Filmworks and they're in bed with Amazon now.

I just got into reading Magi, and so I went on Amazon to order the next two volumes, and I could swear to God that the preview pages they offer for both volumes are ripped straight from a scanlation website. They look like unprofessionally scanned pages, they include the original Japanese sound effects, whereas Viz would replace them, and the font just has that "scanlation group" look to it. Apparently it's just the Kindle version, but why does Kindle have its own version to begin with? Wouldn't the Viz translation be better? Is Amazon actually selling pirated scanlation pages? I feel like I'm losing my mind. I need to look into this.

Damn pirated copies of stuff on Amazon. I'm still pissed how my copy of Chrono Cross's soundtrack was a pirated copy a few years back.

Hopefully they aren't selling/dealing in pirated copies for your sake, eal.

Well, see, that's the thing. I can't tell until I make the order. The picture they use is of the legal Viz edition, but when I look at a preview of the inside pages, the cover becomes the original Japanese version with some translated text, and the table of contents isn't even translated at all. I jumped all the way to volume 23, and they use pages from Viz's translation, even referring to it as "from Viz Media: Shonen Sunday," which a few of the early volumes do not. These are supposedly only of the Kindle version, which doesn't matter to me, since I universally buy physical copies (unless it's digital only), but I find the whole thing fascinating. I find it incredibly hard to believe Amazon has put together their own digital version. These pages must be from some scanlation group, and I'm curious to see if those pages are actually what you get instead of the Viz translation.

Started up Fate/Stay Night again for the night, and episode 19 made me go from just liking UBW, to loving it. Shirou's developement up until now is some of the best I've ever seen. Plus we got Kirei xoming out of the shadows and it's always suspenseful to see what he'll do next.

Shiro is still worst girl.

I feel like one of those people that think "Shinji Ikari is a $#!&$" when I say that about Shiro, and I really shouldn't considering the fact that Shiro really is just terrible and his philosophy is crazy and Shinji is actually interesting and has depth that people are still finding to this day.

And sorry, chief, but you're gonna be disappointed. The weird thing about the various endings is that they seem to focus on different villains. UBW had more focus on Gilgamesh, I believe Fate puts the spotlight on Kirei, and Heaven's feel is all about...

Sakura

though I think Kirei is still pretty relevant in that one as well.

Edited by eal

I think the whole point with Shiro is that just because a goal can't be achieved, doesn't mean it's not worth pursuing on it's own, it's admirable.

Also any ending where that egomaniac who killed Illya dies is good in my book.

There's no way Kirei's actually dead right? Oh $#!&, well I guess there's always the VN to try out one of these days, or the Heaven's Feel movies. It is disappointing if that's actually how he finished.

Damn pirated copies of stuff on Amazon. I'm still pissed how my copy of Chrono Cross's soundtrack was a pirated copy a few years back.

I remember when you got that. That and my Rune Factory 2.

I think the whole point with Shiro is that just because a goal can't be achieved, doesn't mean it's not worth pursuing on it's own, it's admirable.

Also any ending where that egomaniac who killed Illya dies is good in my book.

There's no way Kirei's actually dead right? Oh $#!&, well I guess there's always the VN to try out one of these days, or the Heaven's Feel movies. It is disappointing if that's actually how he finished.

Maybe, but he has a really dumb goal that is damaging to himself, in a way. Rin said it best that he's so focused on others that he neglects himself.

The visual novels have a ton of penises in them, and I'd say the art is quite hideous so knock yourself out. You'd be better off watching the not great original adaptation that mashed all three endings together.

Personally looking forward to the Heaven's feel films.

There are censored versions of the VN right? Eh, whatever.

Shiro's goal does harm himself , but that doesn't mean it doesn't give his character depth. He's a broken soul with survivor's guilt and a martyr complex. At first, I had the same idea of him as you eal, but it's because after his battle with Archer, that he understands how he is and the truth of his ideals, he at the very least understands that he's not going to be able to save everyone, but he's going to try anyway. He's mindful of who he is and what he truly wants.

But his line of thinking is, in its own way, very selfish. While at first glance, wanting to save everyone comes off as a noble goal to aspire to, it's one rooted in his own personal desires. He wants to save people because of his own survivor's guilty and martyr complex, as you said. Like all of life's philosophies, he came to this conclusion for how he wants to live his life based on his own life experiences. Can't really blame him for that, of course. We are what we went through in life. He wouldn't have felt the way he does about saving people if not for the fire and being raised by Kiritsugu. However, he doesn't really acknowledge this. He disguises his selfish personal goals in a noble wrapping. Just because it's a good philosophy to have because it benefits others doesn't mean it lacks faults.

While the people outside of his life might appreciate it, those within it hate him for it. They love him, but he continually neglects their feelings by throwing himself into danger or a challenge he can't overcome that could get him hurt or killed. His friends and family don't want that for him. He's putting it all on the line for unimportant people around him at the expense of the precious people in his life. They want him to be happy. He isn't happy by living the way he does. I can't recall a single smile in the entirety of UBW, at least not a genuine one.

Unfortunately, I think only Rin at one point calls him out on that particular point, but that was mostly for the sake of a love confession, if I recall. And all the situations that he gets thrown into are ones where he is saving family or friends, not random strangers or scumbags. This aspect of his character needed to be called into question more.

His philosophy is actually taken to an extreme from what I've heard of the Fate route, while Heaven's feel is about him abandoning it altogether due to challenging circumstances.

Edited by eal

I'm just glad Fates told me about the ways to check for pirated versions. I always do a very careful check of all the info I can whenever I get a new soundtrack. Hasn't happened again since, but I always get that feeling the next one will be the one.

Especially when I got Etrian 1's original soundtrack. Had NO idea it had been reprinted under the current label EO soundtracks have, so when I got it I was almost convinced it was a fake. Luckily it was legit, so crisis averted.

I'm just glad Fates told me about the ways to check for pirated versions. I always do a very careful check of all the info I can whenever I get a new soundtrack. Hasn't happened again since, but I always get that feeling the next one will be the one.

Especially when I got Etrian 1's original soundtrack. Had NO idea it had been reprinted under the current label EO soundtracks have, so when I got it I was almost convinced it was a fake. Luckily it was legit, so crisis averted.

That's how I feel whenever I buy merch at a convention. Luckily, there are sites that catalog bootlegs to check beforehand, but some are more real then others. No one likes that disappointing feeling of getting ripped off after getting excited for something. It's probably one of worst feelings you can have, honestly.

@eal

That's I'm saying, he understands that what he wants is hypocritical, as shown in his fight with Archer. He wants to feel the same happiness Kiritsugu felt when he saved him, but he doesn't want anyone to have to go through the hell he endured. It's a kind of split, he becomes a hero to save others but also to save himself, like a middle way between Heaven's Feel and Fate.

It's the only thing he has in life. If you like him or not is fine, I was mostly arguing that he is indeed a deep character with a lot to uncover, unless you feel differently about that as well.

I think he's deep, I just think he's terrible. Let me give two different examples of my perspective on deep characters and why having layers, in my eyes, is not equal to simply being a good character.

It has been established that I both hate and like characters who are deep. For example, I hate Maribel even though people will tell me there's a lot to her. I just don't find what's there interesting or worth it. Her horrible nature is so front-loaded into her character that the subtle "nuances" that are supposed to make her a more compelling character have no value.

Take for example Yukio from Blue Exorcist. At the start of the series he was wholly uninteresting, just a generic smart guy who excels at a lot of things and who watches out for his brother. But by the first major arc, you see the perspective he has of himself and his upbringing, you watch him start to unravel as a new mystery about himself emerges, and nowadays he's actually a bit of a dick (he put a gun to a friend's head and threatened him), but you can see the progression from where he started to where he is now, so I find his drama compelling and I like his character, even though he's an $#!&$#!.

Edited by eal

I guess it just comes down to personal preference then.

I see what your saying though, it's why enjoy villains so much, it's endearing to see how they go about justifying what they do, and the different sides the have. It's also the reason Griffith did nothing(except a lot of things) wrong.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians