What anime are you watching?

I'll give you one guess as to what I've been watching recently.

I can't tell you how much Yu Yu Hakusho cosplay I saw at Anime Boston today.
Was it good cosplay?

Pretty decent. The characters don't really work well for cosplay. I did see a handful of Chu's.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best one is the one called Newman. His evil is so great the main character always says, "Hello, Newman," whenever he arrives.

I have lately been watching a plethora of mecha anime including Gundam SeeD(just finished), Escaflowne, and Code Geass. However, the one anime that has been REALLY grabbing my attention lately was Dea

I didn't mind Vic at first. He has no real vocal range, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can act and as long as he's not voicing numerous characters in one thing.   But then a fr

Posted Images

Was it good cosplay?

Pretty decent. The characters don't really work well for cosplay. I did see a handful of Chu's.

You sure they weren't all just drunk?

Was it good cosplay?
You sure they weren't all just drunk?
I felt like I was because I was seeing them everywhere.

So apparently, the GITS movie is ok...

Not horrible, not great, just ok.

Pretty much what every review I've read has said is, "The visuals are amazing, the dialogue is awful, the theme is incredibly obvious and generic, there are tons of references to the franchise, and the characters are bad." At least two separate reviews have stated that they refer to her body as a shell and her soul as a ghost way too often.

I saw it. I'd say 7.5 / 10. I liked it. My only complaint was the weak final battle.

Johanson did a good job. Beat Takeshi as Aramaki though... awesome stuff.

It was good.

I saw it. I'd say 7.5 / 10. I liked it. My only complaint was the weak final battle.

Johanson did a good job. Beat Takeshi as Aramaki though... awesome stuff.

It was good.

Funny thing, as far as movies go, this is the best anime adaptation made in the States so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Yu Yu Hakusho a few days ago. For all the $#!& Three Kings gets it honestly wasn't that bad. Maybe it's just because I knew not to get my hopes up, but I really liked the characterizations, favorite parts were anything relating to Hiei and Mukuro.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

I dislike the Three Kings arc simply because it didn't need to exist yet it does anyways and it just adds to make a lackluster ending. Togashi even admitted that it was a mistake to keep going because he was already at his limit after the end of the Chapter Black arc.

Plus, I loathe power levels and Yu Yu Hakusho had one of the most egregious. Yusuke and his crew are S-class demons, which are said to be strong enough to destroy the entire world one their own? Toguro is only B class? The $#!&?

Watch Super Eyepatch Wolf's video on YuYu Hakusho. You'd really like it. I especially liked how he brought up Togashi's later artwork, which was practically chicken scratch and scribbles at one point.

Edited by eal

4 episodes? Manga must be ending soon or they're doing something different from the manga. Or there movie length which by the way, would be awesome.

The manga is like 160 chapters deep and the anime adapted just over or just under 100 chapters. 4 episodes won't adapt everything, that's impossible. I'd wager a guess that they'll trim the fat and just keep the important bits in. The fact that it's getting any sort of full conclusion at all is a miracle, I didn't think it was happening at all.

Also, I figured I'd share an interesting story. So just as Blue Exorcist started to come over here, I came to the realization that I was getting tired with battle manga, and the description makes it out to be the most quintessential battle manga imaginable. It's about an energetic troublemaker who finds out he's the son of Satan and he goes to a school to become an exorcist so that he can become the strongest Exorcist of them all so that he can kill Satan. I avoided it sort of on principle, but when the anime aired on Toonami, I gave it a watch and my opinion was mostly the same. I didn't like Rin all that much, I thought the female protagonist Shiemi was adorable, Rin's twin Yukio was kinda cool I guess, and Shura was hot as hell and I kinda wanted her to end up with Yukio even though there was an 11 year age gap between them.

I didn't watch it the whole way through because it ended up being just what I imagined it was. The supporting characters were flat as paper and full of cliche (the smart one, the tsundere, the punk, and the slacker), Rin was a standard shonen protagonist, a high school, every arc was kind of the standard you'd expect in early shonen, a bunch of weak antagonists, and an anime original ending that disappointed the manga fans.

I was sort of keeping tabs on any Yukio developments but that was about it. It ended up being a part of digital Shonen Jump when I resubscribed and it was in the middle of a Shura arc so I read that because I liked her. But then I found out about the new season and the buzz was that this was the point in the manga when it got good. So I read the manga. And they were right.

It fixed everything that was wrong with series almost immediately. First, it sidelined Rin. Then, it took the cast outside of the school setting and introduced some new minor characters that would drive the arc. The supporting cast got a ton of character development, and despite seeming calm and collected, Yukio ended up being the most broken character of them all.

The manga just kept the momentum from there and grew out of its weak first four volumes. I also read a few interviews with the author and she seems like a cool lady. I'm glad I kept going, even if I still dislike Rin. Shonen lives and dies on its secondary characters, and in the beginning, it had almost none. I can't think of many that have a strong lead.

I am trying to get the Wife to watch Gurren Lagann. We got through the first episode, but she isn't digging it so far.

Try Little Witch Academia?

I'm still watching that, along with Tiger Mask W.

Apparently the next major arc of DB Super starts tonight on Toonami.

I picked up Xenoverse 2 as well.

Can I count Blazblue Central Fiction? Because the game is as much as an anime as it gets.

Not to mention half the female cast have breasts the size of watermelons.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

When it comes to seasonal anime I've been watcging AoT, My Hero, I checked out the new Boruto anime and its actually decent, and Sakura Quest.

I planned on watching some stuff from this season but I'm busy with Persona. Once I'm done I'm gonna catch up with a few seasonal shows and finish some others that have been waiting to be done.

Gone from Mobile Suit Gundam to Iron-Blooded Orphans, having not enough money right now to pursue my dream of watching the entire UC timeline.  MSGIBO is free with Crunchyroll and good adblockers, and is excellent in it's own right.

Last November I got my wife hooked on Serei no Moribito, to where she binge-watched the entire series in 3 days.  I haven't seen her be that interested in a series since, though.  I'm trying to get her to watch Macross: Do You Remember Love with me, but she's not too psyched to watch a space drama.  I might be able to get her into Cowboy BeBop, though, because of the jazz soundtrack.

Lately we've been watching (whenever the baby will let us) the Studio Ghibli documentary: The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, but I'm not really into it.  Rather than a celebration of the Ghibli films throughout the years, we're 40 minutes in and it's half about Miyazaki being depressed about the Fukushima nuclear disaster.  It kinda ruins the buzz you otherwise feel from seeing what goes on inside Studio Ghibli.  Maybe it picks up later, we'll see.  We average about 15 minutes of TV watching a night while we eat, depending on the baby's sleep schedule.