What anime are you watching?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best one is the one called Newman. His evil is so great the main character always says, "Hello, Newman," whenever he arrives.

I have lately been watching a plethora of mecha anime including Gundam SeeD(just finished), Escaflowne, and Code Geass. However, the one anime that has been REALLY grabbing my attention lately was Dea

I didn't mind Vic at first. He has no real vocal range, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can act and as long as he's not voicing numerous characters in one thing.   But then a fr

Posted Images

Killer Queen has already touched the dislike button.

Also Berserk 348 came out today, time to put my grasses on and hope nothing goes wong.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Anyone going to see the Ghost In the Shell movie?

Also the live action Death Note trailer was, well, I really didn't like it. Light looks like an edgy user on tumblr.

Seeing how Shirou Masamune approves of the GITS movie, I think it's worth checking out.

The Live-action Death Note, I'm hoping it's treated as a US spinoff,.

His approval means nothing to me. James Cameron liked that last Terminator movie too. Dan Akroyd liked Ghostbusters 2016. And right now Stephen King is saying positive things about the new It.

From what I've seen, it looks like all flash and no substance. Another "they took away my identity, I need to find out who I am" story. The visuals are certainly arresting, but I don't ever recall any location in GitS looking that futuristic and beautiful. It looks like they're mostly borrowing iconic scenes and jamming it into the movie.

On the flip side, I actually thought the Death Note teaser looked kind of good. Willem Dafoe sounds pretty good, though I wish L looked less like a "Mr. Robot" kind of hacker guy. Hopefully they fix Misa and Light's characterizations from the manga.

I will only say THIS in defense of Dan Akroyd: There was a LOT of shady bullshit going on behind the scenes of ghostbusters 2016, to the point where Bill Murray was strong-armed into not only being in the movie (despite his adamant claims of being done with the series), but also promoting it. I'm pretty sure Akroyd was in a similar situation with that film, so I'm not going to completely fault him for it.

Also the live action Death Note trailer was, well, I really didn't like it. Light looks like an edgy user on tumblr.

Seeing how Shirou Masamune approves of the GITS movie, I think it's worth checking out.

His approval means nothing to me. James Cameron liked that last Terminator movie too. Dan Akroyd liked Ghostbusters 2016. And right now Stephen King is saying positive things about the new It.

From what I've seen, it looks like all flash and no substance. Another "they took away my identity, I need to find out who I am" story. The visuals are certainly arresting, but I don't ever recall any location in GitS looking that futuristic and beautiful. It looks like they're mostly borrowing iconic scenes and jamming it into the movie.

On the flip side, I actually thought the Death Note teaser looked kind of good. Willem Dafoe sounds pretty good, though I wish L looked less like a "Mr. Robot" kind of hacker guy. Hopefully they fix Misa and Light's characterizations from the manga.

I will only say THIS in defense of Dan Akroyd: There was a LOT of shady bullshit going on behind the scenes of ghostbusters 2016, to the point where Bill Murray was strong-armed into not only being in the movie (despite his adamant claims of being done with the series), but also promoting it. I'm pretty sure Akroyd was in a similar situation with that film, so I'm not going to completely fault him for it.

I am. He pimped the movie pretty hard. He made lots of positive statements about it, said it was funnier and scarier then the original, and even fired back at the people attacking Leslie Jones on Twitter. He appeared at the Ghostbusters 2016 premiere as well. He really went to bat for it beyond just giving a casual thumbs up to it in the lead-up to the release.

They've been absolutely desperate with GitS. We know that the Japanese audience loved the trailer. But of course they would. Scarlett Johansson is a popular actress here and I'm sure the same can be said there (she was in an ad with Hatsune Miku, I kid you not), and why would a country that is predominantly one race care about a sensitive topic like racial casting? From some of the things I've seen, it seems like a lot of people are just happy that a Japanese property is getting international attention. Then there's Mamoru Oshii, who also spoke extensively about Scarlett Johansson.

I just never really cared all that much for the franchise as a whole so I've been sitting this one out. I just can't listen to people argue about why it's totally okay or not okay that Scarlett Johansson was cast as the Major, because it's going to color opinions the way it did with Ghostbusters, where any positive reviews were crucified or called into question, or people that took the pro-Ghostbusters side might have given it a more positive review then they might have actually felt simply because of the controversy, and all because people could not let go of their deep love of the original.

I can't help but draw comparisons between the two movies, expect this time the opinions have flipped. Ghostbusters was torn apart for its casting and for just rehashing the plot of the original, while only making weak references to the source material. I can see the same thing coming for Ghost in the Shell, but this time it'll be defended by the people that leveled these attacks at Ghostbusters 2016. It's incredibly rare for me to only listen to a few opinions, but I'm going to be waiting to hear what certain people have to say about it before I decide I want to see Ghost in the Shell.

I can't help but draw comparisons between the two movies, expect this time the opinions have flipped. Ghostbusters was torn apart for its casting and for just rehashing the plot of the original, while only making weak references to the source material. I can see the same thing coming for Ghost in the Shell, but this time it'll be defended by the people that leveled these attacks at Ghostbusters 2016. It's incredibly rare for me to only listen to a few opinions, but I'm going to be waiting to hear what certain people have to say about it before I decide I want to see Ghost in the Shell.

Well ghostbusters was also given to paul fieg, who has stated in quite a few interviews that he didn't give a damn about the franchise, unless it was done "his way," and while I initially thought the cast was promising, they lacked any real chemistry on screen. Then combine that with the kind of shallow writing and stale humor you'd find in a Bay film, with one of the worst marketing disasters in film history, it's almost like the movie set itself up to fail.

With GITS, it actually looks ok, but then my expectations for these kinds of adaptations are pretty low, so I may personally enjoy it to some degree. Overall though, it's definitely not going to break the box office. At best, the movie is going to be average. We'll see though.

Looking forward to giving Tokyo Ghoul a shot after work tonight.  The trailer on Adult Swim looks neat, and I understand the manga has a hearty following.

Still not giving up on Gundam though.  Bought half of Zeta Gundam from a used DVD shop this week.  When I get more money again I'll order 08th MS Team from an internet seller.  That'll be next after Gundam original

Speaking of Gundam... a word on the pacing of the character arcs... it's surely taking a long time for anyone to actually grow up in this series.  13 episodes in, and Amuro is still being wild and irrational (like any 17 year old should be, admittedly), Bright is still as high-strung and demanding on the support staff...  change comes so gradually to these characters, I both love and hate the pacing.  It would, realistically, take a long time for meaningful changes to set into these people, but they're really annoying as is. 

It's still a great show, despite the annoying lead and the grumbly CO he reports to. 

Lt. Ramba Ral of the Zeons is, shockingly, endearingly sweet to his wife for a career officer.  Also surprising she's actually on board serving the Zeon military with him.  The family that slays together stays together, I suppose.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

Looking forward to giving Tokyo Ghoul a shot after work tonight. The trailer on Adult Swim looks neat, and I understand the manga has a hearty following.

Still not giving up on Gundam though. Bought half of Zeta Gundam from a used DVD shop this week. When I get more money again I'll order 08th MS Team from an internet seller. That'll be next after Gundam original

Speaking of Gundam... a word on the pacing of the character arcs... it's surely taking a long time for anyone to actually grow up in this series. 13 episodes in, and Amuro is still being wild and irrational (like any 17 year old should be, admittedly), Bright is still as high-strung and demanding on the support staff... change comes so gradually to these characters, I both love and hate the pacing. It would, realistically, take a long time for meaningful changes to set into these people, but they're really annoying as is.

It's still a great show, despite the annoying lead and the grumbly CO he reports to.

Lt. Ramba Ral of the Zeons is, shockingly, endearingly sweet to his wife for a career officer. Also surprising she's actually on board serving the Zeon military with him. The family that slays together stays together, I suppose.

The manga fans tear apart the anime 9 times out of 10, so don't expect the same level of quality that you hear about from them. Manga is arguably more miserable too.

Tokyo Ghoul is good, I myself am a fan of the series.

You should be reading :re.

Edited by eal

I really should though.

Also I still do like the anime, even Root A to a certain extent, as it was what got me into the TG, but the manga is better, especially the second half.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

Looking forward to giving Tokyo Ghoul a shot after work tonight. The trailer on Adult Swim looks neat, and I understand the manga has a hearty following.

Still not giving up on Gundam though. Bought half of Zeta Gundam from a used DVD shop this week. When I get more money again I'll order 08th MS Team from an internet seller. That'll be next after Gundam original

Speaking of Gundam... a word on the pacing of the character arcs... it's surely taking a long time for anyone to actually grow up in this series. 13 episodes in, and Amuro is still being wild and irrational (like any 17 year old should be, admittedly), Bright is still as high-strung and demanding on the support staff... change comes so gradually to these characters, I both love and hate the pacing. It would, realistically, take a long time for meaningful changes to set into these people, but they're really annoying as is.

Lt. Ramba Ral of the Zeons is, shockingly, endearingly sweet to his wife for a career officer. Also surprising she's actually on board serving the Zeon military with him. The family that slays together stays together, I suppose.

Amuro is only 15 in the first series. That said, I personally find his character arc to be fantastic. 13 episodes is still the beginning if the series. He starts to grow as a person a little bit longer.

Keep in mind, he stays a pretty flawed individual even up through Char's Counterattack. But does he grow up. He learns to embrace the possibility of humanity, even if he never does seem to quite find his own place.

Regarding Bright, he stays high strung up until around ZZ Gundam. Then he kind of gives up lol.

Ramba Ral and Hamon. They're fan favorites for sure.

I don't want t say too much about the subject because youre still watching. But keep this in mind. Yoshiyuki Tomino is a fairly pessesmistic person. Character development in his series doesn't necessarily mean that they overcome their flaws. Sometimes they double down on whatever issues they have. Sometimes the events they face make them damaged beyond repair. I think a major theme of UC Gundam is that society as it is is screwed, but that it may get better I'm the future (even though it never does. In fact it only gets worse.)

I really should though.

Also I still do like the anime, even Root A to a certain extent, as it was what got me into the TG, but the manga is better, especially the second half.

The art is much improved, and story arcs flow a bit smoother now that the focus has shifted to the CCG, as nearly every arc has a set-up, confrontation, aftermath, rinse and repeat, with each story becoming more expansive and more serious consequences. Let me tell you, the last big arc makes the 20th Ward Raid look like a game of tag.

Amuro is only 15 in the first series. That said, I personally find his character arc to be fantastic. 13 episodes is still the beginning if the series. He starts to grow as a person a little bit longer.

Keep in mind, he stays a pretty flawed individual even up through Char's Counterattack. But does he grow up. He learns to embrace the possibility of humanity, even if he never does seem to quite find his own place.

Regarding Bright, he stays high strung up until around ZZ Gundam. Then he kind of gives up lol.

Ramba Ral and Hamon. They're fan favorites for sure.

I don't want t say too much about the subject because youre still watching. But keep this in mind. Yoshiyuki Tomino is a fairly pessesmistic person. Character development in his series doesn't necessarily mean that they overcome their flaws. Sometimes they double down on whatever issues they have. Sometimes the events they face make them damaged beyond repair. I think a major theme of UC Gundam is that society as it is is screwed, but that it may get better I'm the future (even though it never does. In fact it only gets worse.)

Oh,  I'm giving the series time to grow, and it's characters, as well.  I'm just acknowledging that it's taking longer than I would have otherwise expected it would for anyone to change.

As for the pessimism, I can totally see that.  Tomino is also very good so far at showing flawed and respectable characters on both sides.  Remember in Episode 8 "Winds of War" when a pair of Zeon pilots dropped humanitarian aid to a Federation refugee, and even camped with her when their patrol craft crashed, until their rescue arrived, then directed her safely back behind enemy lines?  I loved that.  The Zeons are not, across the board, scenery-chewing mustache twirlers, and the Federation is not a bunch of paladins. 

Amuro certainly hasn't found his moral compass yet (again, owing to his youth), as Episode 13 shows us.  His mother doesn't like how he's shaping up under the Federation Space Forces.  Char, on the other hand, is a respected pilot, but isn't a model loyal soldier.  His actions deliberately lead to his superior and prince, Capt. Garma Zabi, to his death, and gave the rest of the Zabi family the excuse they needed to amp up the war. 

Knowing that the characters, for the most part, show some slow change over the years, will help.  I've also got to bear in mind that there's a while 42 episodes, and I'm barely halfway through them all.

Also, yeah, Hamon and Ramba Ral are so sweet to one another, but I'm getting the impression that Ramba, for all he dotes on his wife and fellow officer, is a terror on the field.  Might even give Char a run for his money if they were the same age, correct me if I'm wrong?  They're hilarious together at any rate, and again, shows real human depth in the characters. 

This show, and seemingly, Tomino's perspective, fall in line with the famous quote "We have met the enemy and he is us".

The SS God Goku and Beerus fight has been incredibly undwerwhelming. I hope DB Super picks up later.

Oh, another thing about Gundam.  The young crush Amuro has on Lt. Matilda Ajan is going to get him in big trouble someday, especially with Fraw Bow.  I'm in ep 14, and already see the rising hormones in Amuro, and the growing jealousy in Fraw.

Just got done with the first Bleach filler arc. Most likely going to skip to rest of the filler at this point. The first season of it was really terrible.

Now to catch up on the 2nd half of Iron Blooded Orphans. Hoping to catch up with it before the Spring seasons start coming out.

Just got done with the first Bleach filler arc. Most likely going to skip to rest of the filler at this point. The first season of it was really terrible.

Now to catch up on the 2nd half of Iron Blooded Orphans. Hoping to catch up with it before the Spring seasons start coming out.

Some of the later filler isn't tooooo bad. I know the Bounts filler arc is probably the worst but the rest I kind of just...there.

I've been watching season 2. It's pretty good

The bount arc was just dragged out. The 2nd season of the arc was pretty good, but I really had to force myself to even finish the first half of it. Others have told me that the filler doesn't drag out as badly as the bount arc, so I might give it a shot. But for now I am taking a small break on Bleach to catch up on Iron-Blooded Orphans and preparing for the Spring shows to start.

The weird thing about Unlimited Blade Works is I can't tell what touches were added in light of the prequel and what was originally in the story, but for some reason at times Ufotable didn't take full advantage of it and add in more of them. For example

Sabre had known Illyasviel and knew that Shiro was Kiritsugu's son so I found it somewhat bizarre that neither of those things were touched on at some point. She wasn't there for Illya's death but she knew her heart was powering the Holy Grail. She definitely felt strong emotions about Kiritsugu and here was boy who had grown up to be the opposite of him. And yet she didn't want to have any association with Kirei when they went to speak with him early on. If I remember correctly she was also pretty shocked at seeing Gilgamesh as well.

Honestly, a lot of the stuff in UBW feels confusing without prior knowledge of Zero, while some of the specific magic lore and history seems to convoluted in Zero without prior knowledge of one of the other anime or the original visual novel.

The weird thing about Unlimited Blade Works is I can't tell what touches were added in light of the prequel and what was originally in the story, but for some reason at times Ufotable didn't take full advantage of it and add in more of them. For example

Sabre had known Illyasviel and knew that Shiro was Kiritsugu's son so I found it somewhat bizarre that neither of those things were touched on at some point. She wasn't there for Illya's death but she knew her heart was powering the Holy Grail. She definitely felt strong emotions about Kiritsugu and here was boy who had grown up to be the opposite of him. And yet she didn't want to have any association with Kirei when they went to speak with him early on. If I remember correctly she was also pretty shocked at seeing Gilgamesh as well.

Honestly, a lot of the stuff in UBW feels confusing without prior knowledge of Zero, while some of the specific magic lore and history seems to convoluted in Zero without prior knowledge of one of the other anime or the original visual novel.

Touches were very slight. From what I gather, Zero was acting as a prequel, while also trying to be it's own entity.

Saber knew Illya, but did not know Shirou, as she disappeared after the last grail war 10 years prior. So when she heard the name "Emiya" it reminded her of Kiritsugu, whom she didn't care for. Illya was isolated after that grail war, so she was pleasantly surprised she had an adopted older brother. being gone for 10 years, Saber also didn't know that Gil had managed to remain in the present, as most servants and masters know, they disappear once the war has ended.

Honestly though, it's been a while since I've seen either series, but those are what stood out the most. 

And UBW is one of 3 possible routes in the visual novel, where Rin is the main love interest. The original Fate/Stay Night follows the Fate route with Saber as the main interest, and they're making a movie based on the Heaven's Feel route, which focuses on Sakura.

Also, watch Carnival Phantasm for gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiwHmKzD314

Edited by Duran

It is worth mentioning though that

the home Shiro, Taiga, and Saber (dunno why I used the English spelling earlier...) stayed in the home that was Kiritsugu, Iris, and Saber's final base of operations, which she should totally be familiar with. She didn't like him originally, but it reached a point where it seemed like she began to despise him. His underhanded trick that he played on Lancer pissed her off, and his final command was for her to destroy the Grail, which went against her wishes. She didn't like him, but he should have left a strong impression on her.

I'm looking forward to the Heaven's Feel movies, mostly because the story seems way more interesting to me and it'll lean on less popular characters. The vendors at the convention I was at today had a never ending supply of Saber figures, the Artist Alley had dozens of prints of her, and yet I find her highly uninteresting. It seems like in Heaven's Feel gives characters like Illya more play and Rider is a central character. And, I'm sorry, but I do not like tsunderes at all, so Rin meant nothing to me. Sakura seems to be the better character. On top of that,

Fate/Zero makes out Kirei to be this central character, but he's only slightly relevant in UBW whereas he apparently plays a much bigger part in the Fate and Heaven's Feel routes. Heaven's Feel seems to bring his story full circle more.

I'll give you one guess as to what I've been watching recently.

I can't tell you how much Yu Yu Hakusho cosplay I saw at Anime Boston today.

I'll give you one guess as to what I've been watching recently.

I can't tell you how much Yu Yu Hakusho cosplay I saw at Anime Boston today.

Was it good cosplay?