What anime are you watching?

Giving the Fate franchise a go in order of plot, which was probably a smart choice considering how deep the relationships and storylines and family histories seem to go. So basically watching Fate/Zero right now. Then will come Fate/stay night, followed by Unlimited Blade Works. Then maybe I'll explore some of those alternate universe shows if I care to (probably not though).

Normally, you watch Unlimited Blade works series after Fate/Zero, since UFOTable pretty much linked them together.

The original Fate/Stay Night is optional. It's made by another studio, and while it's pretty average at best, it nowhere near as good as UFOtable's rendition.

As for the "alternate" shows, I highly recommend Carnival Phantasm. It's the Fate series (and it's sister-series "Tsukihime") pretty much making fun of themselves. It's honestly a really fun anime to watch.

I've found that it is HIGHLY controversial to debate which show you're supposed to watch first. From what I've seen so far it doesn't really matter because both shows spoil each other in one way or another, but knowing Fate/stay night ahead of time completely takes the stakes out of Zero.

I devoured Zero in two sittings. Now I'm on UBW. I should've watched Fate/stay night first because, silly me, I assumed it was just as popular as the other two shows since everyone hypes the franchise up. I actually bought the whole show for like $10 during a sale so I actually own the thing.

I'm sort of interested in Prisma Illya for some reason.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best one is the one called Newman. His evil is so great the main character always says, "Hello, Newman," whenever he arrives.

I have lately been watching a plethora of mecha anime including Gundam SeeD(just finished), Escaflowne, and Code Geass. However, the one anime that has been REALLY grabbing my attention lately was Dea

I didn't mind Vic at first. He has no real vocal range, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he can act and as long as he's not voicing numerous characters in one thing.   But then a fr

Posted Images

Being the old dog that I am, I've gone and collected the original Mobile Suit: Gundam series (UC0079!) on DVD this weekend.  I love it, hokey disco-tastic music and all.  There's some good stuff hiding behind the retro-future 70/80's trappings of the original series.  Might go on a Gundam blitz and add Iron-blooded Orphans to my list soon after a few more episodes of Mobile Suit: Gundam, plus might take the husbando along for the ride through Gundam Wing after we finish our blu-rays of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.  Hell, I'm even playing Federation Vs. Zeon and Zeonic Front on PS2 for this!

Sometimes I just get a craving for a certain theme in my leisure activities.  This month it's giant robots, especially Gundam. 

Mobile Suit: Gundam was, debatably, the first serious take on giant robots.  Unlike Mazinger Z ( Aka Tranzor Z), GoLion (aka Voltron) or Tetsujin 28 ( Ironman 28, AKA Gigantor), Gundam was the first giant robot series to use snips of hard sci-fi and treat robots and powered armor as viable tools of war for the interplanetary age.  No longer a "monster of the week" format, when we meet the enemy, he is us.

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

I believe the next season of the berserk anime is coming sometime soon. Kind of looking forward to it tbh. It is a trainwreck, but I just can not look away.

Other than that, I have been trying to get into RWBY, but I just have not been able to get into it so far. I am only a few episodes into it tho, maybe I'll change my mind. There is definately some stuff in there I should enjoy.

Just started the next few episodes of the next digimon tri movie on crunchyroll, which honestly is pleasing my nostalgia bone quite well. It is not the best thing to ever come out, but I am still very much enjoying it.

And finally, episode 1 of the new samurai jack season was really enjoyable, looking forward to episode 2.

WFpNndI.jpg

Always gets me.

Yeah, I've seen a number of perspective problems with the show.  A shot of White Base flying past Luna II in particular, in episode 3, was hilariously askew.    I'm here for the story.  I'm certainly not in it for theopening and ending themes!  Gods,  the intro sounds like a Love Boat version of the Hokey-Pokey.  :P

Pleasantly surprised that March comes in like a lion is getting a second season. I know the sales were poor so I had my doubts, but it got an immediate renewal. Even though it's not particularly popular and talked about, there's just something about Chica Umino's works that are just so lovely to me. Despite the show's depressing nature, it manages to be a very comfortable show to watch. Next season's storyline is going to be great too, based off what I read.

This is the year of sequels for me. Attack on Titan, Blood Blockade Battlefront, March comes in like a lion, Saekano, Steins;Gate, One Punch Man, the point where Blue Exorcist gets good, the Heaven's Feel movies.

God I remembered being so hyped for AoT season 2 back when I first watched it, better late than never I suppose.

You see a hint of it in the poster and trailer, but the best but from the entire manga is gonna happen in this season. A one-off story about Potato Girl.

WFpNndI.jpg

Always gets me.

Yeah, I've seen a number of perspective problems with the show.  A shot of White Base flying past Luna II in particular, in episode 3, was hilariously askew.    I'm here for the story.  I'm certainly not in it for theopening and ending themes!  Gods,  the intro sounds like a Love Boat version of the Hokey-Pokey.  :P

:o

Tobe Gundamu is awesome in its cheesiness.

If you haven't already, look into the movie adaptations of the original Gundam, they are exceptional. The Zeta Gundam ones... not so much.

God I remembered being so hyped for AoT season 2 back when I first watched it, better late than never I suppose.

You see a hint of it in the poster and trailer, but the best but from the entire manga is gonna happen in this season. A one-off story about Potato Girl.

Casca?
  • Upvote 1

Casca?

It involves Sasha and an arrow. That's all I'm saying.

WFpNndI.jpg

Always gets me.

:o

Tobe Gundamu is awesome in its cheesiness.

If you haven't already, look into the movie adaptations of the original Gundam, they are exceptional. The Zeta Gundam ones... not so much.

It's become my goal to eventually watch all the Universal Century TV and movies in as close to chronological order as I can.  this includes the Zeta movies, 08 MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, F91, Victory Gundam,  and even G-Saviour if I can find it.

If you're gonna go chronologically, your roadmap will be Original > 8th MS Team > War in the Pocket > Stardust Memory > Z Gundam > ZZ Gundam > Char's Counterattack > Gundam Unicorn > Gundam F91 > V Gundam. G-Saviour is... something something. To my knowledge, the Z Gundam movies are not considered canon anymore due to some questionable decisions they made, the series is the canon version.

Alternate Universe Gundam is good too... especially G Gundam.

Anyways Toonami night!!! DB Super... the Goku vs Beerus fight was a little underwhelming. And the Super Saiyan God thing just turning red also is kinda eh. GT might have been whack but at least SSJ4 looked cool.

If you're gonna go chronologically, your roadmap will be Original > 8th MS Team > War in the Pocket > Stardust Memory > Z Gundam > ZZ Gundam > Char's Counterattack > Gundam Unicorn > Gundam F91 > V Gundam. G-Saviour is... something something. To my knowledge, the Z Gundam movies are not considered canon anymore due to some questionable decisions they made, the series is the canon version.

Alternate Universe Gundam is good too... especially G Gundam.

Anyways Toonami night!!! DB Super... the Goku vs Beerus fight was a little underwhelming. And the Super Saiyan God thing just turning red also is kinda eh. GT might have been whack but at least SSJ4 looked cool.

Thank you for the helpful condensation!  Yes, I also know and respect the alternate Gundam worlds.  I started watching with Gundam Wing in the 90's, and am also interested in Iron-Blooded Orphans and Turn-A Gundam as well.  Seed and Seed Destiny I might go after as well.

Being the old dog that I am, I've gone and collected the original Mobile Suit: Gundam series (UC0079!) on DVD this weekend. I love it, hokey disco-tastic music and all. There's some good stuff hiding behind the retro-future 70/80's trappings of the original series. Might go on a Gundam blitz and add Iron-blooded Orphans to my list soon after a few more episodes of Mobile Suit: Gundam, plus might take the husbando along for the ride through Gundam Wing after we finish our blu-rays of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Hell, I'm even playing Federation Vs. Zeon and Zeonic Front on PS2 for this!

Sometimes I just get a craving for a certain theme in my leisure activities. This month it's giant robots, especially Gundam.

Mobile Suit: Gundam was, debatably, the first serious take on giant robots. Unlike Mazinger Z ( Aka Tranzor Z), GoLion (aka Voltron) or Tetsujin 28 ( Ironman 28, AKA Gigantor), Gundam was the first giant robot series to use snips of hard sci-fi and treat robots and powered armor as viable tools of war for the interplanetary age. No longer a "monster of the week" format, when we meet the enemy, he is us.

Have you marathoned Gundam before? I watched the entire franchise in 2011 / 2012. It was glorious. It's now one of my favorite franchises.

IBO is good. The second season is better than the first though

Being the old dog that I am, I've gone and collected the original Mobile Suit: Gundam series (UC0079!) on DVD this weekend. I love it, hokey disco-tastic music and all. There's some good stuff hiding behind the retro-future 70/80's trappings of the original series. Might go on a Gundam blitz and add Iron-blooded Orphans to my list soon after a few more episodes of Mobile Suit: Gundam, plus might take the husbando along for the ride through Gundam Wing after we finish our blu-rays of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Hell, I'm even playing Federation Vs. Zeon and Zeonic Front on PS2 for this!

Sometimes I just get a craving for a certain theme in my leisure activities. This month it's giant robots, especially Gundam.

Mobile Suit: Gundam was, debatably, the first serious take on giant robots. Unlike Mazinger Z ( Aka Tranzor Z), GoLion (aka Voltron) or Tetsujin 28 ( Ironman 28, AKA Gigantor), Gundam was the first giant robot series to use snips of hard sci-fi and treat robots and powered armor as viable tools of war for the interplanetary age. No longer a "monster of the week" format, when we meet the enemy, he is us.

Have you marathoned Gundam before? I watched the entire franchise in 2011 / 2012. It was glorious. It's now one of my favorite franchises.

the.. entire franchise?  I have not.  I don't have it all by any stretch yet.  What I own so far is the whole original series, and all of Gundam Wing, including Endless Waltz.  I plan to catch IBO on Crunchyroll (which, admittedly I havent a subscription to, but my adblockers are potent). I've always been interested in this series since A) the airing of Gundam Wing on Toonamy 20 years ago and B) an anime magazine in 2001 doing a retrospective on the franchise, from the beginning to the then most recent series, Turn-A Gundam.

Two years to watch every single Gundam episode? I believe it!  The series is literally as old as I am!

the.. entire franchise? I have not. I don't have it all by any stretch yet. What I own so far is the whole original series, and all of Gundam Wing, including Endless Waltz. I plan to catch IBO on Crunchyroll (which, admittedly I havent a subscription to, but my adblockers are potent). I've always been interested in this series since A) the airing of Gundam Wing on Toonamy 20 years ago and B) an anime magazine in 2001 doing a retrospective on the franchise, from the beginning to the then most recent series, Turn-A Gundam.

Two years to watch every single Gundam episode? I believe it! The series is literally as old as I am!

One person did the math a few years back and it takes about 30+ days stretch of non-stop, continuous watching to see every Gibran show. Its obviously gone up since then.

Giving the Fate franchise a go in order of plot, which was probably a smart choice considering how deep the relationships and storylines and family histories seem to go. So basically watching Fate/Zero right now. Then will come Fate/stay night, followed by Unlimited Blade Works. Then maybe I'll explore some of those alternate universe shows if I care to (probably not though).

Normally, you watch Unlimited Blade works series after Fate/Zero, since UFOTable pretty much linked them together.

The original Fate/Stay Night is optional. It's made by another studio, and while it's pretty average at best, it nowhere near as good as UFOtable's rendition.

As for the "alternate" shows, I highly recommend Carnival Phantasm. It's the Fate series (and it's sister-series "Tsukihime") pretty much making fun of themselves. It's honestly a really fun anime to watch.

I've found that it is HIGHLY controversial to debate which show you're supposed to watch first. From what I've seen so far it doesn't really matter because both shows spoil each other in one way or another, but knowing Fate/stay night ahead of time completely takes the stakes out of Zero.

I devoured Zero in two sittings. Now I'm on UBW. I should've watched Fate/stay night first because, silly me, I assumed it was just as popular as the other two shows since everyone hypes the franchise up. I actually bought the whole show for like $10 during a sale so I actually own the thing.

I'm sort of interested in Prisma Illya for some reason.

I have all of the original Fate on DVD. I mean, it's decent, but nowhere near as good in quality as UFOTable's versions.

Prisma Illya is cute. It's Fate's version of Card Captor Sakura. It basically revolves around Illya who lives with Shirou, and her two maid caretakers while their parents are away and for the most part, everyone is alive and somewhat happy. Illya becomes a magical girl and has to battle servants and collect them like clow cards. While it's a relatively light-hearted spinoff, be prepared for excessive loli-fanservice in seasons 2 and 3.

Edited by Duran

Anyone going to see the Ghost In the Shell movie?

Also the live action Death Note trailer was, well, I really didn't like it. Light looks like an edgy user on tumblr.

Also the live action Death Note trailer was, well, I really didn't like it. Light looks like an edgy user on tumblr.

Seeing how Shirou Masamune approves of the GITS movie, I think it's worth checking out.

The Live-action Death Note, I'm hoping it's treated as a US spinoff,.

Seeing how Shirou Masamune approves of the GITS movie, I think it's worth checking out.

The Live-action Death Note, I'm hoping it's treated as a US spinoff,.

His approval means nothing to me. James Cameron liked that last Terminator movie too. Dan Akroyd liked Ghostbusters 2016. And right now Stephen King is saying positive things about the new It.

From what I've seen, it looks like all flash and no substance. Another "they took away my identity, I need to find out who I am" story. The visuals are certainly arresting, but I don't ever recall any location in GitS looking that futuristic and beautiful. It looks like they're mostly borrowing iconic scenes and jamming it into the movie.

On the flip side, I actually thought the Death Note teaser looked kind of good. Willem Dafoe sounds pretty good, though I wish L looked less like a "Mr. Robot" kind of hacker guy. Hopefully they fix Misa and Light's characterizations from the manga.