darkjak951

What anime are you watching?

I've been watching Gangsta and Chuunibyou sporadically. Gangsta is hard to just watch one episode of. However, since there aren't very many episodes, I'm having to space them out to savor them. Chuunibyou is just lighthearted enough to have playing while I'm doing something. Really entertaining.

And, of course, I'm watching each episode of Dragon Ball Super as soon as it comes out.

Edited by AustNerevar

Chunibyo was a fun show, but I didn't have it in me to watch the second season because I felt it would ruin the ending.

I haven't started the second one yet...just finished the first.

Normally, I would agree with you regarding a short live show that wrapped up well...but this show being so "lite", I don't think too much is lost by continuing it. Heavy episodic media, like Breaking Bad, is best served by having a plotted out story arc and a planned ending, instead of just driving the show forward for as long as the ratings are high. BrBa only had five seasons, but they were some of the best television I've ever seen. If it had gone on until season 9, I think it's quality would have degraded steadily.

Comedies, on the other hand, while they do degrade in quality the longer they go on (sew: The Office), it doesn't feel like such a heavy loss for it to keep going.

At least this is how I feel.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Yeah DBZ was never really perfect anyway when it came to animation. Anyone familiar with the series remembers the dreaded repeat animation some of the fight sequences would have. I noticed this is gone from Kai so far.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That wasn't so much a problem with animation, but just the timing of the series. Toriyama was a bit slow in drawing new manga and the anime kept getting ahead of the show, so they drew out fight sequences with recycled animation (the Frieza fight) and inserted filler content (ugh, some of this was terrible).

The reason Kai is so streamlined is because it was created nearly twenty years after the original manga ended its run. The filler content wasn't required (and wasn't canon) and the recycled animation was just bogging the series down. The Frieza battle only lasted five minutes in the manga, but was drawn out over nearly twelve thirty minute episodes so that Toriyama could hurry up and draw what happens after the fight. In Kai, they cut all that BS out, but sadly also abandoned the Buu storyline and gave Mr. Popo some skin bleaching solution to pander to outraged Tumblr users who never bother to research Japanese culture.

Well, you'll see what I mean when you get to the end of the first season, but it has a strong conclusion rooted in drama, disregarding the comedic aspect of the show. And then starts again in season two with a new status quo that's uncommon in anime.

You're also a bit quick to blame Tumblr and its crowd for the Mr. Popo change. Discussions on his appearance looking racist have been going on long before that website was around. Changes were made to the manga to make his lips smaller back in 2004. This didn't happen just recently. Same discussion were had about Jynx and also long before Tumblr.

Well, you'll see what I mean when you get to the end of the first season, but it has a strong conclusion rooted in drama, disregarding the comedic aspect of the show. And then starts again in season two with a new status quo that's uncommon in anime.

You're also a bit quick to blame Tumblr and its crowd for the Mr. Popo change. Discussions on his appearance looking racist have been going on long before that website was around. Changes were made to the manga to make his lips smaller back in 2004. This didn't happen just recently. Same discussion were had about Jynx and also long before Tumblr.

I've already finished the first season. Plan on starting the second today.

I didn't mean to attribute it only to Tumblr. I dropped that name more as an expression than a literal statement. I remember seeing discussions about Popo and Jynx online way back when I watched the show as a teen. I just used Tumblr as a catch-all term, like so many do.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

I just finished Plastic Memories a few days ago, it was pretty good.

Ending was pretty sad though ):

Edited by DarkBaramos

Man, I watched the latest episode of Akame no Kill I DVR'd on Saturday night, and it made me sad. Congrats, anime, you made me sad. (slow claps between sobs)

Seriously though, the episode from Saturday was depressing. Killing off one of the Night Raid members who hasn't had much screen time (and was one of my favorites) on top of showing us how bat $#!& crazy "Ms. Justice" just made me wish I take her down myself. Here I thought Sheele was going to become a more prominent character, and then WHAM...or CHOMP, I suppose.

The music and visuals got me right in the feels, man.

• Upvote 1

The next season of shows is pretty dry. Mostly just season twos for me. Noragami, Seraph of the End, K. But I'm also gonna watch One Punch Man, A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet, and The Perfect Insider. All the big stuff, really.

Chuunibyou's second season is a little odd, starting off. Napping championships...

Oh wow, I definitely recommend the second season. It really starts to wrap up the characters' developments and explores the relationships to their potential.

Yeah DBZ was never really perfect anyway when it came to animation. Anyone familiar with the series remembers the dreaded repeat animation some of the fight sequences would have. I noticed this is gone from Kai so far.

That wasn't so much a problem with animation, but just the timing of the series. Toriyama was a bit slow in drawing new manga and the anime kept getting ahead of the show, so they drew out fight sequences with recycled animation (the Frieza fight) and inserted filler content (ugh, some of this was terrible).

The reason Kai is so streamlined is because it was created nearly twenty years after the original manga ended its run. The filler content wasn't required (and wasn't canon) and the recycled animation was just bogging the series down. The Frieza battle only lasted five minutes in the manga, but was drawn out over nearly twelve thirty minute episodes so that Toriyama could hurry up and draw what happens after the fight. In Kai, they cut all that BS out, but sadly also abandoned the Buu storyline and gave Mr. Popo some skin bleaching solution to pander to outraged Tumblr users who never bother to research Japanese culture.

I knew about the padding the show had and why it was padded the way it was.  But the recycled animation is just Toei being cheap.  It wasn't just the Frieza fight being drawn out, it was all the minor fights using recycled animation as well.  Instead of drawing a different punch or fight move, whole sequences were just recycled. 

Not sure what you are talking about with the Buu storylone being cut but Mr. Popo looks the same as he always was.  It probably helps that I'm watching the uncensored late night Toonami version.  I had heard of bleaching they did when it aired somewhere else.  Not on Toonami though. 

Older DBZ can get away with it though because, at the time, anime in general had always been cheap just like many other American cartoons. Anime to this day are still really cheap considering production costs and the short space of time in which episodes are made. Super can't get away with it nearly as much though considering how culturally relevant and important Dragon Ball has become in the time DBZ started airing in 1989, therefore it's budget and staff should be much more significant than whatever moeblob anime gets spurted out every 3 months, not to mention production issues started arising as early as the 4th episode.

• Upvote 1

Good point. Plus it's surprising because the recent movies were done well.

Not sure what you are talking about with the Buu storylone being cut but Mr. Popo looks the same as he always was.  It probably helps that I'm watching the uncensored late night Toonami version.  I had heard of bleaching they did when it aired somewhere else.  Not on Toonami though. 

It was my understanding that production of Kai stopped after the Cell saga because of a scandal involving the composer stealing music from other works.

And I didn't realize there was an altered coloring of Mr. Popo for different channels. I saw some episodes where he had been recolored to a blue-ish color, much in the way that Jynx has been totally recolored.

Older DBZ can get away with it though because, at the time, anime in general had always been cheap just like many other American cartoons. Anime to this day are still really cheap considering production costs and the short space of time in which episodes are made. Super can't get away with it nearly as much though considering how culturally relevant and important Dragon Ball has become in the time DBZ started airing in 1989, therefore it's budget and staff should be much more significant than whatever moeblob anime gets spurted out every 3 months, not to mention production issues started arising as early as the 4th episode.

I have to say, I'm really loving Super. I can't wait till we get the Funi dub.

Edited by AustNerevar

Different channels, different time slots, different censorship standards. Another reason I like watching stuff on Toonami. Despite the problems, I'm also enjoying Super.

Different channels, different time slots, different censorship standards. Another reason I like watching stuff on Toonami.

This is why I don't like watching anime on Cable networks, because I never know if what I'm watching is censored or not (well, that and I don't really have television).

Despite the problems, I'm also enjoying Super.

What problems are those?

Toonami is still moderately censored, but it doesn't bother me. Anime runs slightly longer than the traditional American show so they have to cut portions of the opening and closing credits. That's not so much censorship as it is cutting for time though. The swears in Black Lagoon were moderately censored. I think I even recall a big black bar that read "censored" covered up Revy's middle finger. Back when it was still Adult Swim and they were airing Durarara!! swears were censored in like every episode.

Been watching Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou lately.  It's still ongoing so there's only one release a week.  I've read most of the manga (though I haven't caught up to it recently) and I'm really enjoying the show.  It's definitely pervy but it's also pretty cute and I really like the character of Darling-kun. 

I was also keeping up with watching Hibike! Euphonium but I've kind of stalled out.  I should go back and finish it since the episodes are complete.  When I get finished with Monster Musume I'll either finish that or start something new.  I'd like to watch The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki because I liked Nagato in the Haruhi version.  I'd also like to watch Nisekoi and give the Monogatari series another shot.

Toonami is still moderately censored, but it doesn't bother me. Anime runs slightly longer than the traditional American show so they have to cut portions of the opening and closing credits. That's not so much censorship as it is cutting for time though. The swears in Black Lagoon were moderately censored. I think I even recall a big black bar that read "censored" covered up Revy's middle finger. Back when it was still Adult Swim and they were airing Durarara!! swears were censored in like every episode.

I've noticed that the DVD sets for Dragonball and Dragonball Z have some uncensored material in them that I wasn't even aware of. Hercule goes by his real name, Mr. Satan...an incredibly brief scene in Dragonball where Bulma's breasts are exposed are left in (you have to pause to even see them, unlike the manga which has a full page panel dedicated to it) and some minor swear words are left in. Oh, and I think Goku's genitals are left in during some of the early Dragonball episodes as well. I was glad to see them actually permit the original material to be included for the DVD sets. It's a shame that it's so hard to find the original uncensored manga volumes of DB, though. I still have all my old ones that I got when I was like 14, but there's one that's from an earlier printing and it doesn't fit in with the rest of my volumes which are red colored. I'm okay with anime being edited for television...but if I'm buying a DVD or BD-R set, then I don't want a damned thing cut from it. Even the first sixteen episodes of Dragonaball GT which are a pain to watch, I would rather have than the singular first episode they were edited down into for television...In addition to all this uncensored stuff, they included the original Japanese soundtracks which I've grown to love so much more, despite my nostalgic attachment to the US' Bruce Faulkoner soundtrack. Unfortunately, in spite of all this material, they chopped the top and bottom of the original 4:3 aspect ratio down to a 16:9 pan & scan...I swear, it's so unprofessional. I'm unsure if they've done the same thing for the Blu-Ray releases. If they didn't, then I may consider getting those one day.

It's been years since I've been into anime and manga, so I haven't been keeping up...can anyone tell me if Shonen Jump is still in print in the US?

Edited by AustNerevar

Michiko and Hatchin is censored, usually when they drop the F word. Heck this past Saturday's episode had one that was a good 5 seconds long or so. Honestly I find it funnier when they censor stuff like that, just throwing in a long bleep to cover the sound.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Michiko and Hatchin is censored, usually when they drop the F word. Heck this past Saturday's episode had one that was a good 5 seconds long or so. Honestly I find it funnier when they censor stuff like that, just throwing in a long bleep to cover the sound.

I feel insulted mostly when something is censored like that.

But I have strongly held personal opinions about censorship anyway.

Different channels, different time slots, different censorship standards. Another reason I like watching stuff on Toonami.

This is why I don't like watching anime on Cable networks, because I never know if what I'm watching is censored or not (well, that and I don't really have television).

Despite the problems, I'm also enjoying Super.

What problems are those?

The problems with lack of consistent animation quality.

Could be worse. You could pay $50 for a year long subscription to an anime streaming service and watch the sideshow that is their attempts at censoring Tokyo Ghoul. They censored everything ranging from characters getting eviscerated to a little girl eating human meat presented on a plate like a steak. Or better yet, Prison School. The last episode I could see the outline of Meiko's nipples in her sweaty white uniform but they censor the lower part of her ass. Then, I'll watch it dubbed and they'll take "f*** off" out of the script then insert "f***, you're one stubborn son of a b****"

Oremonogatari is probably our favorite this season.

Monster Musume is damned hilarious.

Wakakozake is cute and an accurate depiction of the GF.

We just finished Death Parade last night and it was sooooooooo good.

I started Spice and Wolf, enjoying the mature discussion of trade and currency.

Gatchaman Crowds/Insight looks like it is coming to an end and I really hope it gets a 3rd season.

6e92bcbfed7be30570f572eeb9cfcc6f.jpg