Sign in to follow this  
Red Dragon

Radiata Stories

I caught the description of this game which caught my eye at the local gamestop. It was advertised at $15 and looked interesting, so I picked it up. Going in, I thought it might have a little bit of FF Tactics. It was a game really that had some great ideas, but didn't master any of them. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Graphics - A - Very, very similar to DQIII.

Story and atmosphere- C+ - I docked this heavily because of its potential. It could have been an A. The best is the real time done right. There's a clock, and NPC's have their own schedule, their own lives, and own story. The recruitment is often borrowed from Suikoden series, although the "108 stars" theme isn't rewarded based on that. That's a big positive as well. The concept is fairly good, with its share of castle politics, although they should have been expanded much more than they were. That's where this game falls short. The shades of grey are good, but not expanded enough. There's two major sides, which was a great idea similar to Might and Magic VII. More should have been expanded. What was going on with the Plague? What happened with Gawain and Cairn? The bonus dungeon threw that out of whack? This game borrowed from Star Ocean and Suikoden, but does not have its depth. It borrowed from Ultima the real time schedule, but doesn't have Ultima's detail. The characterization is good, not great. The biggest negative was the hero. It's the typical 12 year old brat in a 16 year olds body who doesn't have the maturity to be able to save the world. Too much mouth, and it gets annoying fast.

Voice Acting - C+ - The villians were good, and the supporting cast wasn't that bad. Cross reminded me of Marcello. But Jack.....aw man it's bad. Jack hams it up more than Al Pacino. The difference is when Al Pacino yells, it's cool and fits the scenes. Scarface and the cocaine temper. Heat and the driven detective. Pacino's a man's man in his movies. When Jack yells - which is all the time, it's an immature whine, and you want to slap him. Half of the time, it doesn't make sense. There's WAY too much Tidus in this guy, and it nearly killed the story. Jack Russell may be his name, like the terrier, but he yips more like a Yorkie. I come from the school of "work hard, keep your mouth shut, and good things will happen." Voice acting is often a major weakness in games, but I've seen several get it right. The Grand Theft Auto series. The Warriors. Scarface. Dragon Quest VIII. The Sierra games back in the 90's. If there's going to be voice acting, do it right, or don't do it. Squareenix usually screws it up. (FFIV and DQVIII exceptions)

Combat A - Very well done. It's not too difficult, but has some challenge.

Difficulty - B - Average Squeenix difficulty.

Length - B - Long game. Drags slightly at times. There's two sides to choose and two endings.

Overall - B- - For $15, I can't complain. The history could have been better. The bonus dungeon was good for combat, but didn't fit right. Jack could have been less of a brat. The real time atmosphere was very good, and the first game I've seen to do real time that good since Ultima VII. The play control and combat was this game's biggest strength. It's worth one playthough on each side. The potential was there for a great game, and that's what makes this a slight disapointment.

It was an okay game. However being able to kick people and get various reactions was its main draw.

Edited by Ms.RPG

I remember picking up this game when it was still selling for around 20 bucks.

And I have to agree with everything you said (except maybe the part about the extra dungeon, but that's only because I wasn't very motivated to beat everything in the game, much less play a second time to see the other side's story). It had potential, but it fell a bit short.

Shame because I did like some of the characters designs/personalities and the combat.

Not to mention the appeal of what Ms.RPG has mentioned.

Sadly that wasn't enough for me to keep it.

I liked the game itself, did NOT like how you were forced down a path to either ending, when there was quite a plausible way to help everyone.

I liked this game, I loved the wide variety ofriends or whatever they're referred to in the game, to battle with you. It seemed almost endless. I did like the paths you could choose from, you definitely didn't see that in every game. So it was a positive for me.

I also loved the game design! And I adored main character and Ridley..I forgot his name, it's been a while since I've played I. But this is a worthy game!

I played this game rotten right after it came out. $40.00 well spent. I love Tri-Ace passionately. This was probably the easiest Tri-Ace game, overall, but I still love it to death.

I loved Jacks character. And Ridley. There were lots of characters that were awesome in this. But I wanted Cross to die on a stick. :P

It was an okay game. However being able to kick people and get various reactions was its main draw.

I loved kicking people! Seriously the best thing xD

Loved the music, too. A change of pace from Sakuraba's usual fare. I adore him, but it was nice to have this game feel different!

I really DO hate how in the end you get one depressing ending or another, that makes me not want to replay it that much >_>

I thought it was a fairly good game for back in the day, now that I read your review, I want to play it again actually.  I like the variety of characters that can join your team as there are tens of them.  I hate how you have to choose sides at the end losing access to the characters on each side.

The story had it's redeeming qualities, but I did feel like Jack does man up a little at the end.  For the most part, he was a bit of a brat as the OP states.  Kind of disgraceful actually.