Sign in to follow this  
FlyingRagnar

Strategy Guide PDF Scans

Hey all, I'm a long time lurker first time poster. I was wondering if PDF scans exist of various strategy guides for DQ/DW games in the past 10 years? I did some searching and found links for DWVII and DQVIII, but both links were dead on rapidshare. I'm also really looking for the Prima guides of DW I&II and DWIII on GBC. Anyone have these?

I understand not wanting to host them for legal reasons, but I'm interested in the guides and don't want to pay $60 on amazon for a guide that some kid's dog pee'd on. I would think that some of the guides from about 10 years ago should be preserved for posterity reasons since they are likely out of print forever now. Sort of like the ones for the original NES games.

Also, I am aware that the guides made by Prima and Brady are not the best in quality.

Edited by FlyingRagnar
  • Upvote 1

PlatKing has a couple of guides available for download in his signature. Other than that, I don't have any links but would also be interested in seeing the guides.

check the links they dead end...

dragon's den has pdf hint books for DW 1-4...

Edited by Rune Caster

Emuparadise has a guides section with several scans and PDFs of guides old and new.

That's a nice find, but unfortunately doesn't have anything except the DQVIII guide.

Edited by FlyingRagnar

There might be a problem with links on these boards lately cause the links are fine in my profile setting but the site is cutting part of them off for some reason. If you're not able to download them from my sig you can go into the DW2 and DW4 NES links from the homepage. The DW2 file is here...http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dw2nes/guide/dw2unveiled.pdf and the DW4 guide is here...http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dw4nes/guide/dw4tokuma.pdf

If you still have trouble let me know as these links are looking weird also.

Emuparadise has a guides section with several scans and PDFs of guides old and new.

Can you link me? I'd be interested to see what they have as opposed to what I had in mind.. Now that our big fan project is mostly done, I'm actually thinking of jumping back into another guide project.

Edited by PlatKing

I think the links truncate for viewing, but the URL behind it should be fine still.

That's a nice find, but unfortunately doesn't have anything except the DQVIII guide. Hmm, we really need to find a way to preserve these things as a community.

Should have all the Nintendo Power guides, plus the two Plat has. It might be in a different section.

That's a nice find, but unfortunately doesn't have anything except the DQVIII guide. Hmm, we really need to find a way to preserve these things as a community.

Should have all the Nintendo Power guides, plus the two Plat has. It might be in a different section.

Aren't walkthroughs the same as strategy guide or am I totally wrong?

These have layouts and pictures to accompany the plain text. It's all the rage these days.

There's a DW VII Prima file here.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10880

This was the one I was thinking of doing next and I might still do it cause the file here is kinda low res. This guide should be at least around 200 megs.

The DW II file on emuparadise is nice but not near as pretty as mine. :P

Edited by PlatKing

Thanks for the DQ VII thread. I can't believe I missed that one when I was searching. Oh well...

Edited by FlyingRagnar

In order to get a flat, clear scan, you pretty much have to dismantle it. If it's just a stapled paperback (similar to a comic book, you can get a fairly good scan. Any modern scanner will do. These days, scanners are mostly geared towards the general consumer and not a graphic designer. So you'll have to tweak the settings to get an unaltered image.

More than anything else, I'd say brush up on your Photoshop basics. Lots of guides I see are straight scans. It picks up all the dust, and worse, the paper texture. Knowing how to use Levels or Curves (whichever you prefer) works wonders in getting the most out of your image.

Unless you are keeping a guide in mint condition, it's going to get wear and tear from regular use. Now that I think about, I have a Chrono Trigger and a FFIII guide for SNES that both were pretty much coming apart. I bought a binder for each and put them in plastic sleeves which has kept them nice.

So, which guides don't exist in digital form? Here's all that I can think of...

• Dragon Warrior I & II (GBC) (Prima)
  • Dragon Warrior III (GBC) (Prima)
  • Dragon Quest IV (DS) (Brady)
  • Dragon Quest V (DS) (Brady)
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (DS) (Brady)
  • Dragon Warrior Monsters (GBC) (Prima)
  • Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (GBC) (Prima)
  • Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) (Brady) (

Edited by FlyingRagnar

Back in 1996, I loved that Chrono Trigger guide. Flipped through it about a year ago, and man, is that a low res and printing mistake nightmare!

69ls8k.jpg
  • Upvote 1

Back in 1996, I loved that Chrono Trigger guide. Flipped through it about a year ago, and man, is that a low res and printing mistake nightmare!

The companies who made strategy guides back then did not have the technology we see and use today, Dwaine.

Aldus PageMaker 5.0, my friend! No excuse!

God, I'm old...

• Upvote 1

Ooh, yea. This is the only EAI guide I don't have. Will take a look at it tomorrow.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but is there a PDF for the GBC Dragon Warrior 3 remake's strategy guide? I used to mooch off my brother's, but he sold it... and I haven't been able to track down a copy for own since.

The Dragon Warrior 1&2 one posted above helps a lot- same situation- so, thanks to FlyingRangar for the assist. Just looking for the other one I'm missing ATM.

Actually, yes. I think I may have it, but it's on another system. You'll get an update 'round lunchtime tomorrow!