Sign in to follow this  
jamiras843

Dragon Quest I: Roto's Rebirth

my cat's an ass, i have a 2 inch scar on my foot where he attacked me.

You RPGMaker types always have the craziest stories about how stuff gets lost. Your cat unplugged your computer? That's hilarious. Out of curiosity, does RPGMaker not allow you to save stuff? Because it seems like an awful lot of projects get canned because someone lost everything when their Ferret had to write an email to its cousin and accidentally CTRL+ALT+DELETED, thus blowing away all progress made.

It's alarmingly common, and enough to deter from ever starting such a project.

it seems like an awful lot of projects get canned because someone lost everything when their Ferret had to write an email to its cousin and accidentally CTRL+ALT+DELETED, thus blowing away all progress made.

This... just made my day.

Haha yeah, it does, but my computer is a laptop, and I keep the battery out of it when I use it at home, it's not hard to pull a plug from a laptop. This game was almost canceled when my other laptop got knocked off the desk (friggin cat again) and shattered everywhere, but I back up my progress every couple of days, cuz you never know when your angry cat or ferret will destroy your computer in a fit of rage.

As for the battle backgrounds I currently don't have any plans to utilize them because of how my tiles are made out. The scripts that involve the battle backgrounds for VX deal with tile set A tiles, my forests, mountains ect tiles are actually tile set E and I don't have the scripting knowledge to change it. Plus after a while I kinda like the blurry swirl, it's almost similar to DW NES small battle window where part of the world map was still visible.

Darned scripting. I'd happily learn some and help you out, but my computer doesn't like RPGMaker XP/VX (playing games, yes, making them, not so much). The trial versions won't run at all--I just get an error message--which is not a great incentive to buy the thing. Tad frustrating.

In other news, the DW1 NES overworld battle window looked like this: [right side]

spotdragonwarrior1.gif

and the dungeon window like these:

spotdragonwarrior2.gif

Overworld window definitely not blurry. Dungeon: pitch black. Of course, with the other NES titles they went with pure black for all battles. I prefer the backgrounds, myself (the blurry swirl is an automatic deduction for any game, by my book). Oh well, if I can figure out how to get it to run, I'll play around with the system and learn a trick or three.

if youre using xp, you have to change the compatability to windows xp service pack 2. i had the trial and that worked. oh and run as administrator too.

if youre using xp, you have to change the compatability to windows xp service pack 2. i had the trial and that worked. oh and run as administrator too.

*shakes his head* I'm running Win XP (SP3). Compatibility modes are for individual operating systems only, not that it matters in this case; I've installed them under both SP2 and SP3, reformatted and reinstalled everything (for other reasons) and tried installing RPGMaker afterwards, while I was at it--no go (install, yes, function, no). I install everything with administrative privileges.

*smiles wryly* Really, don't worry about it--I've been down this road with folks who know the program well, and they couldn't figure it out--the reformat should have licked the issue. Might be there's a worm on one of my drives that's making the software react as though it's been hacked (can't reformat everything--that defeats the purpose of backups). As well, the system is several years old and some of the parts have been around for a decade--many of the files are substantially older. It's quite possible that my system's pretty much @&%ed in this regard (as it sometimes is in others) and I'll have no RPGMaking access until I replace it (won't happen any time soon).

As I said, if I manage to find a way to get them working, through finding and fixing problems or just getting lucky, I'll happily put some time in. Realistically though, I have far more experience with graphics and writing--let me know if you need a hand with those.

yes actually but not for this one, this game the story's pretty much set. On the other hand I plan on redoing the entire trilogy, but since I changed so many key plot points and elements their stories are gonna have to change as well (at least minimally) If you are serious about helping with the stories and what not zip me a PM so I can fill you in and we can start working on the frameworks of II and III. Also check further down the fan games board and look for my other topic that's on I II and III to see what changes and added things I have in mind. Also how are you at spriting? If you saw my screenshot with the custom Roto Armor shots you can see my skills are lacking, and I'm going to need the heroes from II, but like this game I want to keep the sprites as close to the SNES games as possible so mainly I want a sprite edit and not something that can be made with a generator. Like I said PM me if interested, and yeah I guess I'm kind of anal about things, but I want these to be as good as I can make and I see how I want the finished product to be.So I'm not rushing, I'm not cutting any (ok "many" is more appropriate) corners and what not.

Right, so as I said in the PM, I haven't done much with sprites for quite some time. Nonetheless, I work with photoshop all the time, and have for years (some of my personal stuff is up on deviantart, if you feel the urge)--it may take a little time to get back into the groove of this style, but I'll be fine. Writing-wise, well, some people say I'm good. Also as noted, RPGMaker XP abruptly seems to be working on my system--fingers crossed, and I'll be able to register it and VX sometime in the next month or so, when cash is less of an immediate issue. I have yet to dive into the scripting language, so we'll see about that once I have time to figure out how tricky it'll be to learn--don't expect me to be much use at that for quite a while, though.

In other news, I did some searching and found a bunch of icons and sprites from some of the games. All of the equipment images from DQ7 are right here at the Den--plenty of those can be manipulated and sized into whatever is needed, if it's not already available. The Den also has complete equipment set icons from DQ 4 and 5 DS. Found a scan of the DW2 Map, with one of the designs for Erdrick's armour on it. The DQ1 design for Erdrick's sword and armour are readily available, and I found some good reference images for the DQ3 sword design.

*yawns* Bed time. Oh, and for kicks, I found some neat looking pics of high quality cosplay models of Roto's sword and the Zenithian sword. Let me know if I should post the links.

Edited by Nashidaran

alright back to work for me. took a little hiatus while i ironed out some issues (damn girls :( always let them get the better of me). But i learn quick and this want devastating and causing me to go AWOL for months on end. Just a weekend :P. Anyhow with the help of Nashidaran I have more story elements down and flushed out so DQI is no longer just a generic medieval lets go save the princess from a dragon game. I think it's really epic actually and hope you'll all enjoy my vision as well. Now time to get back to work! maybe a little later... I'm hungry XD

Whole game's getting a graphic overhaul, again.

Uh oh, what happened? :o

It's the cat again isn't it? Do you want me to "take care of it" for you?

lol no. i realized that there is no sprite size limit. which means i can have the double sized tiles and make it look like the normal SNES game size. So now I am redoing all of the tile sheets (yet again).

s10vw0.png

see though? Correct size. no squinting to see and no headaches.

Edited by jamiras843

Awesome! That does look better. Didn't realize that there was no sprite limit in RPGMVX.

Well today I have nothing to do but to work on the game as I now have bronchitis, sun poisoning, and a sunburn that covers about 40% of my body. Have a fun tale for you though while your here.

Last friday I had to go up to Boston for an X-ray. After the X-ray I was supposed to use some change to call my friend and meet up with him in South Station, I have a prepay phone and had no minutes. We were supposed to hang out for a few hours and then I was going to use his card to get on a train back to Providence where I'd take a bus home. It was a well thought out plan. But as my luck would have it I dropped my phone somewhere... and I didn't remember my friend's number. So I use all my change trying to get a hold of people who have his number only to realize they were still in school. So now I'm stranded in Boston with no money, no phone, and no way home. Luckily some woman let me use her train pass for the subway and I found my way to his house. His mother called him and he came all the way back to his house. Then I used his phone to call my sister to find out the person who found my phone was looking calling people in my contacts trying to find a way to give it back. She gave me his number, I called it and found he goes to North Eastern, so had to trek all the way back to Boston, find NE (which we had no clue how to get there because though we both were there before, we weren't in a great state of mind), find him and get my phone back. It was a grand ol' time. And my friend was sick (which I didn't know) and now I am too. Yay. Well off to work on the game :P.

Wow dude. O_o Sounds like you've been having fun.

Quick update: Garinham has received a major overhaul graphical layout. No longer is it a town in a .... marsh? I never realized how flooded the town was until I mapped it. I said to myself "this can't be right... It's in the mountains..." so now the town is a multilayered one, with ridges and what not, the tomb itself being set up on a hill. Mercado too is now hilly (not mountainous like Garinham) working in the overworld map considerations. Also the walls have been replaced by mountains, making it a natural border.

Now for some bad news. I'm being called away for... patriotic duty... for about 9 months. So updates will be sparse at best, good news is I'm just being stationed in Texas. And I should have my laptop for most of it.

I'm being called away for... patriotic duty... for about 9 months. So updates will be sparse at best, good news is I'm just being stationed in Texas. And I should have my laptop for most of it.

A duty more important than any game. Mmmhm.

I'm being called away for... patriotic duty... for about 9 months. So updates will be sparse at best, good news is I'm just being stationed in Texas. And I should have my laptop for most of it.

A duty more important than any game. Mmmhm.

i dunno this game seems like it's gonna be pretty good :)

yeah... a duty as a combat medic... woohooo. game is still being worked on as we speak, just did the memorial of loto, (that cave you first go into) and it is the only cave in the game to need a torch. also added some monsters. other changes from the original include where you find the Roto Seal, which is still in the same spot, but the ruins fof the shrine that was there in III is there as well, also put a puzzle there to make it interesting.