Dragon Quest I: Roto's Rebirth

jamiras843

2s7hvn5.png

Thats the new text. In order for vx to utilize custom texts the texts have to be installed on the computer, so I will package the tff file with the game. like I said before the style I am trying to make is a hybrid between the SNES games and the DS remakes. It's not that bad on full screen.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2s7hvn5.png

Thats the new text. In order for vx to utilize custom texts the texts have to be installed on the computer, so I will package the tff file with the game. like I said before the style I am trying to make is a hybrid between the SNES games and the DS remakes. It's not that bad on full screen.

The menu looks much, much neater than it did a while ago, this game is looking really really good!

thanks, yeah the menu was starting to bug me. The DQ menu made specifically for vx worked alright unless you had only one party member, then it would freeze up on the character selection. so i had to find one and edit it up a bit as my coding isn't nearly good enough to make it on my own.

Anyways, I just tried to make a bank, and to keep it with DQ fashion, only increments of 1,000 gold or more. but since the code list was so long that it started to go off the window, maximum amount of gold in one transaction is 20,000. This just means if you have 70,000G that you want to deposit you would have to deposit 20,000G 3 times and then 10,000 the next. Not too big of a deal really. I orginally didn't want to do the increments of 1,000 but I figured the game might be too easy if you could horde away 50G incase you died.

1hxdeh.png

If you try to deposit/withdraw more than 20,000 at once.

eajc5i.jpg

yeah, I could have kept going but decided just to stop, just in case I ran into an error and couldn't see it.

eesh! That code stuff looks complicated! But I'm still glad you're working on these games. They look like they'll be a lot of fun! :D Keep up the good work.

Edited by AerynB

haha actually eventing is the easy part, it may look hard but everything is pretty much self explanatory. now i'm working on the main chunk of the game, took forever to get to this point but things should fly now.

it is the normal battle system, I'm not a big fan of the side view, I mean it's ok but nut my favorite thing in the world. As I said before I'm trying to keep it as DQish as possible, which is surprising considering how much I changed the stories around. I shouldn't have called it a remake, not even a remix. Guess it really is a rebirth of sorts.

it is the normal battle system, I'm not a big fan of the side view, I mean it's ok but nut my favorite thing in the world. As I said before I'm trying to keep it as DQish as possible, which is surprising considering how much I changed the stories around. I shouldn't have called it a remake, not even a remix. Guess it really is a rebirth of sorts.

yeah I do too, DQ and FF are 2 different things to me so first person seems the way to go for me. I'm quite envious of other game makers for their skill, makes my work laughable really. Especially Generica being done in 10 days. It's not really my thing I guess, I'm easily distracted. Anyways heres a small pic of the new swamp cave, where you go to fight the dragon.

wswt3r.png

wow! pretty!

I swear, I get more excited about this game every time you post. :) Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I found a major bug though that set me back. Whenever you stay at the inn and then try to save it the game freezes up. If you heal leave town, reenter and then save it works fine though. Odd. Working on that now...

edit: fixed it relatively quickly.

Edited by jamiras843

I know others have said it, but I'll say it anyway; this is looking very nice. Best of luck to you on this project!

thanks, I plan on doing all three of the Roto trilogy and tend to use a lot of people's ideas (my creativity is shockingly lacking despite my love of art, literature, and games) so if you have any suggestions for either II or III take a look at the original forum and feel free to post some there. I am pretty much done and positive of how I want this game to go, don't think I'll be adding to it currently. The things put in currently bugging the crap out of me. No more costume changing equips that change npc reactions! Oy vey! Not much done today. Lots weighing on my mind yet again. But since I like to stay active and bring people into my projects (who knows maybe it is my ego and pride after all) I'm posting some more pics. I still have to fix some of the tiles and what not but laziness is really killing me... I hate editing tiles

23vnv5z.png

Fixed the battle system, I think I did a decent job of picking a new font

2l94m0g.png

If that fell from the ceiling in front of me I would have died before fighting it

Same here. :whoa: Takes me back to when I first wandered into the Swamp Cave, 15-20 years ago, just minding my own business, looking around for monsters to battle and get some gold...and out pops this Green Dragon!!! "Look, buddy, please don't eat me! I just wanted to kill me some ghosts and a few scorpions. I'll be on my way, promise!"

Good times. :wink:

Edited by AerynB

haha I was too young for DW when I got it, I couldnt even leave the king's chambers :( anyway out of sheer boredom decided to create a party chat system. Oh my, nifty huh? Don't know how it'll work for DQIII... but we shall see...

haha I was too young for DW when I got it, I couldnt even leave the king's chambers :( anyway out of sheer boredom decided to create a party chat system. Oh my, nifty huh? Don't know how it'll work for DQIII... but we shall see...

Probably just a bunch of random comments like: "I think I left my satchel back at Luida's Tavern!" or "I'm feeling rather sagely today, how about you use that Zen book on me and make it official?".

ok quick question. dungeon maps? similar to DQVIII? yay or nay.

also the extras script is not really compatible with new game +

Edited by jamiras843

ok quick question. dungeon maps? similar to DQVIII? yay or nay.

I'd say yay :overjoyed2: ... unless it's really difficult, then nay. :{

a mini-map like they have in the corner of some zelda games? i'm not familiar with any mini-maps in DQ games. but wouldn't a full out map take up too much space? *confused* or does the map come up when you press a button?

yeah like in the zelda games, that way you wouldnt have to keep opening the menu, most of the game buttons are taken for party chat, menu, actions ground search ect

yeah like in the zelda games, that way you wouldnt have to keep opening the menu, most of the game buttons are taken for party chat, menu, actions ground search ect

i suppose a mini-map wouldn't be so bad then... if all the game buttons are already spoken for. better see if anyone else has an opinion though, just to be sure.

quick title screen, now made it like DQ style.

azc3l4.png

this is final! I hate using paintshop pro! I sucketh! So if you want better feel free to create a title screen for submission (must be a certain size so ask before you do make one, not that i expect people to). Also the press start thing blinks which is why its gray, it's not that hard to see. Anyway after you hit enter it goes to...

33pg65h.png

yayy similarity rocks!