Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Contest # 42 - Dragon Quest Musical Genius

koichi_sugiyama1.jpg

It's high time for another contest and I have come up with a bit of a different one this time around. It's along the lines of "Name That Tune" and will test your knowledge of Dragon Quest Music from nearly every game we English speaking types can get our mitts on.

To start off, I just want to say that you do NOT need to know the official names of any Dragon Quest songs to have success in this contest.

What's going to help you here is if you have played a good handful of the games, and did so with the sound ON.

So without further ado, here is the challenge:

I have assembled a single musical track (in MP3 format) that features five-second clips from 17 different Dragon Quest songs. Your job is to figure out:

1) Which game each track is from

2) Which platform that particular version of the song is from (NES, DS, PSX etc).

3) Roughly where in the game you might hear this song. (i.e. in battle, overworld etc).

The person (or persons) who get the most information correct will be the winner and will receive a very nice badge from Woodus.

PM your answers to me by December 15th at 2:00PM EST. The winner will be announced after I have tallied the scores. Feel free to collaborate with others on this if you need help or want to help somebody. There can be multiple winners for this contest.

Oh, and you are probably wondering where to find that music file. You can get it right here at the Den!

Good luck!

Edited by King Zenith

Oooh. I'm being punished for listening to all the Symphonic Suites at the same time on random. :lrsmile:

Fix'd. ;)

Fix'd. ;)

Thanks for catching that.

Already sent in my answers. Hahe.

Awesome. That was faster than I expected! I have gotten a few subsmissions in already. I'm not commenting on their accuracy just yet though.

I've never done one of these. How to I participate? Where do I send my answers?

I've never done one of these. How to I participate? Where do I send my answers?

You can participate in this contest by listening to the track I provided above and then writing your answers down somewhere (Text file perhaps). When you have all of your answers, send them to be via a Private Message. You can send me a message by going to my profile and choosing "send me a message".

Good luck!

So all of the tracks are from games released in the US?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out

Edited by Shadowman621

So all of the tracks are from games released in the US?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. There is a song or two in there that come from games that were not officially released in the US. Fan translations exist though.

This sounds like fun, but given that I only have experience with one iteration each of 4 DQ games, all of which have multiple versions, I know I won't win. Maybe the ones I think I know are correct though. :)

This sounds like fun, but given that I only have experience with one iteration each of 4 DQ games, all of which have multiple versions, I know I won't win. Maybe the ones I think I know are correct though. :)

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the different iterations. If you recognize the song, but don't know which system this version came from, you can generally figure it out since the DS versions sound much better than the SNES, NES and GBC versions of the various games.

Anyway, good luck to you if you do decide to submit something. If you have time on your hands, you can do some reconnaissance by browsing the music directory at the Den. It doesn't have everything yet, but I just sent Woodus 5 more games worth of music today.

Yeah it's mainly differentiating between the GBC and NES versions of DQ1-3 songs that's the kicker for me. Those two systems generate sound that is so close to each other...

Yeah it's mainly differentiating between the GBC and NES versions of DQ1-3 songs that's the kicker for me. Those two systems generate sound that is so close to each other...

That's a good point. I feel like I can tell the difference between the two but I have played them both quite a lot and have spent a fair amount of time ripping the music.

Some of the more modern ochestral sounding stuff is what's really getting me because some of the console systems have similar music

This is just making me realize how much I know Dragon Warrior 7, hence the name I chose for these forums. I'm not even gonna try on this contest because I have no chance, lol.

This is just making me realize how much I know Dragon Warrior 7, hence the name I chose for these forums. I'm not even gonna try on this contest because I have no chance, lol.

It made me realize how much I listen to Dragon Quest music in general... Too much. I wonder if that is a bad thing :D...

Are we allowed to make more than one entry? I'd like to revise my entry after going through the music directory

sure, but I will only use your most recent submission, not the best score out of both.

I was going to say this was way too easy, I recognized almost all of them right away, but that last one was just pure evil. That exact same sound is in almost all of the main games and every remix of those...

Just curious, but do we get partial credit for only missing part of each song? I hope so because there were several where I knew the song but couldn't tell which remake it was from or couldn't remember where in the game it played.

Anyways, great contest. I've kinda been ignoring contests recently because weren't very interesting, but this one was a lot of fun.

Edited by Kenshin

I was going to come and say it was way too easy, I recognized almost all of them right away, but that last one was just pure evil. That exact same sound is in 7 of the main games and every remix of them...

Just curious, but do we get partial credit for only missing part of each song? I hope so because there was several where I knew the song but couldn't tell which remake it was from or couldn't remember where in the game it played.

Anyways, great contest. I've kinda been ignoring contests recently because weren't very interesting, but this one was a lot of fun.

Thanks! The response has been great to this one so I might have to rehash it again later with all new songs and maybe even some different games.

You can get up to 3 points per song: 1 for the game, 1 for the platform, 1 for the location of the song in the game

I am cooking up something I hope will be fun and also different for the next contest too. I have to clear it with Woodus still but he hasn't said no to anything yet!

When are the results and winner(s) going to be posted?

Nevermind!! I literally just found them lol

Edited by hawkeye77o4

Sign in to follow this