Dragon Quest V's Localization

This is about all the complaints about the localization. In the first i will put why it's good, and in the second paragraph why it's bad.

Most of the Name changes (that aren't puns) you can't complain about. Remember, there was never a real American version. The names such as Flora and Papas were straight translations made by a diehard Dragon Quest fan, not Square Enix. There is a difference between a straight translation and a localization. Even Honey and Treacle are okay, as they aren't puns, though aren't the greatest names.

Now, the puns and accents is where they over did it. Pankraz and such is okay, but Cleohatra and the hick town are bad puns in a failed attempt to make the game more funny. Things like Dr Agon (put it together) and his Ned Flanders way of speaking are an example of bad puns. The accents are also often stereotypical (read:Sancho) and are slightly confusing. Some things are kinda cool, like the whole chess name things, but most are not.

Discuss.

Most of the Name changes (that aren't puns) you can't complain about. Remember, there was never a real American version.

That's because Enix closed their North American offices during the mid-90's just before we got our hands on their English versions of DW5, DW6, or even Star Ocean, and all we had to rely on is the fan-translations of those games courtesy of DeJap.

I have yet to play DQVDS (or even DQIVDS for that matter), so all I had to offer was what I mentioned above.

This is about all the complaints about the localization. In the first i will put why it's good, and in the second paragraph why it's bad.

Most of the Name changes (that aren't puns) you can't complain about. Remember, there was never a real American version. The names such as Nera and Papas were straight translations made by a diehard Dragon Quest fan, not Square Enix. There is a difference between a straight translation and a localization. Even Honey and Treacle are okay, as they aren't puns, though aren't the greatest names.

Now, the puns and accents is where they over did it. Pankraz and such is okay, but Cleohatra and the hick town are bad puns in a failed attempt to make the game more funny. Things like Dr Agon (put it together) and his Ned Flanders way of speaking are an example of bad puns. The accents are also often stereotypical (read:Sancho) and are slightly confusing. Some things are kinda cool, like the whole chess name things, but most are not.

Discuss.

Just a correction, but Nera was Flora in the fan translation.

I agree with a lot of your points. At first it didn't rub me the right way because it was too much punfest, but it wasn't so bad toward the end. The only major issues I had were what you already pointed out(Sancho's stereotypical accent, Dr. Agon and his Ned Flander speak, etc.). It's not that the existance of the puns are bad, it's that they went overboard with it. Especially when they started including them in the main story(Kon saying 'whinnyful' just after a major part of a scene just hurts it).

Dragon Quest has always been a lighthearted game with puns in certain places(in the punchline skill during battles, said by some NPCs you can optionally talk to, etc.). It didn't need the assistance of overload of puns.

Most of the Name changes (that aren't puns) you can't complain about. Remember, there was never a real American version. The names such as Flora and Papas were straight translations made by a diehard Dragon Quest fan, not Square Enix. There is a difference between a straight translation and a localization. Even Honey and Treacle are okay, as they aren't puns, though aren't the greatest names.

Discuss.

We can complain. They were unnecessary name changes simply for the sake of changing them. This isn't the days like on the SNES where half the names would be slightly altered to appear more in line with English, such as in Chrono Trigger 'Kurono' being changed to Chrono and 'Eira' being changed to Ayla. Or certain names would be changed and others would be left alone, such as in Final Fantasy VI, in the Japanese version Terra is named Tina or Sabin is named Mash.

This is a complete renaming of ALL the characters. And yes, even the ones that aren't puns are changed to 'fit in' with those that are.

Discuss.

We can complain. They were unnecessary name changes simply for the sake of changing them. This isn't the days like on the SNES where half the names would be slightly altered to appear more in line with English, such as in Chrono Trigger 'Kurono' being changed to Chrono and 'Eira' being changed to Ayla. Or certain names would be changed and others would be left alone, such as in Final Fantasy VI, in the Japanese version Terra is named Tina or Sabin is named Mash.

This is a complete renaming of ALL the characters. And yes, even the ones that aren't puns are changed to 'fit in' with those that are.

What i was saying was, since it was made by a fan and not by a actual localization team hired by Square Enix, they weren't the canon English names. They make name changes in nearly all games when translating, if you notice.

Yes, but the "fan translated" ones are more real since they are actual translations and not changes.

Translation in the actual literal meaning of telling what one word/name means in the other language.

Yes, but the "fan translated" ones are more real since they are actual translations and not changes.

Translation in the actual literal meaning of telling what one word/name means in the other language.

They still aren't the English canon names.

That being said, I prefer the literal translation names better rather than what the localization team made.

Gah! This is what I can't stand! It's more annoying than people who ask if the deleted scenes from The Office are cannon. They were written and shot. Of course they are! Horii created them, wrote their lines, and put them in the game. Yes, of course they are cannon. The fan translators did not make these names up. Where do you think they came from?

In the end, there wouldn't be a problem if changes weren't made most of the time. If a character from a game has a exotic sounding name, I don't see how that is going to hurt its sales. It shouldn't be changed for any reason unless its an offensive word in the country the game is being shipped to. Otherwise, the creator gave that character that name, so it should have that name for every version of the game.

Changing a characters name in every release changes peoples perception of that character. A name carries a lot behind it. And I feel that localization teams put a lot less behind their decisions of changing names (and many other things) than their creators ever did naming the original characters. So they shouldn't.

Gah! This is what I can't stand! It's more annoying than people who ask if the deleted scenes from The Office are cannon. They were written and shot. Of course they are! Horii created them, wrote their lines, and put them in the game. Yes, of course they are cannon. The fan translators did not make these names up. Where do you think they came from?

They still aren't the English canon names. In Japan that's what they are. The canon names for English are Pankraz, Nera, etc.

And once again, I do like the direct translation over the localization team's work.

@Kenryoku_Maxis: Exactly.

They're written in KATAKANA which is used for English and foreign words.

They're written in KATAKANA which is used for English and foreign words.

Once again, the English CANON names. Just because that's what it translates from doesn't make it canon the canon name for a language.

BTW, I love a good debate like this :P

This is a crap argument. The "canon" is the original creator and author, not an outside hire who made something up.

Merriam-Webster- canon: the authentic works of a writer. That doesn't mean what was first, it mean what thing actually is. Ex. Flora is the canon Japanese name directly translated. Nera is the canon English name, and not directly translated, but that's still what the English canon name is. And do you really think that Horii did not approve the names before they kept them in the game and just let them all go through without looking?

I'm kinda curious what the actual japanese names are. The transliterated versions are a bit off of Japanese phonetic rules, thus I think they're a best guess as to what it's supposed to be.

Example: Niyuto It got transliterated by a fan as Newt. But the actual Japanese name was a japanese rendering of the word Nuit.

Merriam-Webster- canon: the authentic works of a writer. That doesn't mean what was first, it mean what thing actually is. Ex. Flora is the canon Japanese name directly translated. Nera is the canon English name, and not directly translated, but that's still what the English canon name is. And do you really think that Horii did not approve the names before they kept them in the game and just let them all go through without looking?

The 'canon' names for Flora is about 7 different names over 7 different translations, all completely (and intentionally) different from the original creators name for the same character.

The point is, the localization teams were stupid and changed the names. You are saying two different things. Saying that the names should be closer to the original Japanese yet arguing that whatever changes are made are 'canon' and cannot be argued with. Yet its been proven time and time again that in 5-10 years, some other localization team with come and change what THIS team did. Because on a whim, they think names like 'Sera' and 'Donna' and 'Bonnie' are better names. And then those names wll be the NEW 'canon'.

Did it just get Castlevania in here....

The 'canon' names for Flora is about 7 different names over 7 different translations, all completely (and intentionally) different from the original creators name for the same character.

The point is, the localization teams were stupid and changed the names. You are saying two different things. Saying that the names should be closer to the original Japanese yet arguing that whatever changes are made are 'canon' and cannot be argued with. Yet its been proven time and time again that in 5-10 years, some other localization team with come and change what THIS team did. Because on a whim, they think names like 'Sera' and 'Donna' and 'Bonnie' are better names. And then those names wll be the NEW 'canon'.

Did it just get Castlevania in here....

And this is why that DeJaps Translation may correct most of the issues that do not seem right, but also in order to fix the privicy issue(in the ARM 7 and 9 code where it is at) and hopefully all will be corrected.

• 2 months later...

Discuss.

I wanted to give some points about this, it seems that ZSNES forums seems to love the names apparently, for some reason they are going theway of GamFAQs and wanting to have the crappy names given matter of why those names should stay, becuase they think they are "Truely" the proper names of this game, which makes me wonder why DQ6s is going to be worse if any matter of terms here.

This dude is just a bad translator. I think the whole plan was to make it a kids style game so it would sell well. Anyone over 13 who things "Count Uptaten" is funny is a little lame. This game is NOT localized, it's butchered. I think Bella is a wonderful name for an Elf and that Papas is a wonderful name for a father figure. The accents just went overboard and killed the whole thing. A little is fine, but I like to be able to read the text in an RPG. Harlequin from Chrono Cross was maybe an exception.

EDIT: I'm scared to see what they do to a more serious game like DQ6.

This dude is just a bad translator. I think the whole plan was to make it a kids style game so it would sell well. Anyone over 13 who things "Count Uptaten" is funny is a little lame. This game is NOT localized, it's butchered. I think Bella is a wonderful name for an Elf and that Papas is a wonderful name for a father figure. The accents just went overboard and killed the whole thing. A little is fine, but I like to be able to read the text in an RPG. Harlequin from Chrono Cross was maybe an exception.

EDIT: I'm scared to see what they do to a more serious game like DQ6.

And that is the bad feeling I am looking at, BTW I did PM Romhacking.net's mod I.S.T. from the ZSNES boards about the retranslation and is willing to tell me to post a help wanted ad on romhacking.net, but I am unsure about it given the revolting responces I got at the ZSNES boards.

You mean the response from the one guy?

• 2 weeks later...

Because of all the name changes (some were really wtf-worthy), I'm a bit leery of how DQ VI will turn out...

and yet at the same time I have the oddest feeling the silly renaming will be kept to a minimum this time around. Don't know why, exactly.

Archived