Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

PlayStation Portable (PSP) Review

I can't understand what you said when you named the title of the one game that was the "must own" title. Haha. How is it a 9.5 system if the game library is "a pile of dogshit," exactly? Because of the customization?

I have 13 games for my PSP, not including 3 PSone Classics downloaded off the PlayStation Network. I can only think of one of them that I didn't really need/could've gone without buying. Saying the system only has 2-3 games that are worth it is quite a strong opinion... Maybe you aren't looking hard enough!

Partly due to the 'customization'.

Dissidia..will be the best game Square Enix has ever made. That's why.

That should be the only reason you need to get a PSP. The DS was cool, but it's cheap and mediocre. It's full of remakes. I swear.. every RPG I've gotten on there are just remakes. FF3, FF4, DQ4, DQ5, etc.

I'm playing my PSP more than any other system ever.

That should be the only reason you need to get a PSP. The DS was cool, but it's cheap and mediocre. It's full of remakes. I swear.. every RPG I've gotten on there are just remakes. FF3, FF4, DQ4, DQ5, etc.

Err... you're forming strong opinion(actually making it sound like a fact) about a game you haven't played, yet again. It's hard to take an opinion like that seriously when you haven't even played the games you're talking about(like the new Zelda game in another topic).

Everyone buys systems and games for different reasons. Not everyone will be buying a DS or PSP for the same reasons you do. It's another thing to keep in mind when expressing your opinion.

Err... you're forming strong opinion(actually making it sound like a fact) about a game you haven't played, yet again. It's hard to take an opinion like that seriously when you haven't even played the games you're talking about(like the new Zelda game in another topic).

Everyone buys systems and games for different reasons. Not everyone will be buying a DS or PSP for the same reasons you do. It's another thing to keep in mind when expressing your opinion.

Actually, I have. The Japanese version? lol

It's Youtube. I put down videos and then if people don't like them they post comments about them and give it bad ratings. lol

Actually, I have. The Japanese version? lol

It's Youtube. I put down videos and then if people don't like them they post comments about them and give it bad ratings. lol

Regardless, you're still making it sound like fact. Someone will play Dissidia and expect it to actually be the best game SE has ever made, but then get disappointed because it wasn't as good as they thought. I've seen that happen so many times. If you want to be a good reviewer, you'll need to present your opinions as opinions, and remember that not everyone likes the same things you do. Some of the best reviewers are those that break down the reasons why they consider a game to be great, so that those that are unsure will understand why. Like that one DQ VIII reviewer that basically described exactly why we love DQ games.

we? Not everyone loves DQ games.

........................................I never said 'everyone loves dq games.' It should be obvious that when I say "we" I mean those of us that are fans of the series......

Btw, way to totally disregard the rest of my post...I'm just trying to help you be a more unbiased reviewer so that people will see you as more of a professional like the very few out there that truly are, since you seem to express interest in being one.

Edited by MetroidXPS

The DS was cool, but it's cheap and mediocre. It's full of remakes. I swear.. every RPG I've gotten on there are just remakes. FF3, FF4, DQ4, DQ5, etc.

Compared to the number of quality original titles available there are hardly any remakes on the DS. If they're all you want to play then that's your problem.

The DS was cool, but it's cheap and mediocre. It's full of remakes. I swear.. every RPG I've gotten on there are just remakes. FF3, FF4, DQ4, DQ5, etc.

Compared to the number of quality original titles available there are hardly any remakes on the DS. If they're all you want to play then that's your problem.

Jeez, no reason to be so rude when I never said anything to you.

Name a few good titles sir.

That wasn't rude.

Apollo Justice, Dragon Quest Monsters, Elite Beat Agents, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Chocobo Tales, Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Phantom Hourglass, Mario Kart, Mario Slam Basketball, New Super Mario Bros., Professor Layton, Pokemon Diamond/whatever, WarioWare, Yoshi's Island DS, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Etrian Odyssey, Retro Game Challenge, Advance Wars, Metroid Prime: Hunters, The World Ends With You.

You could also throw the rest of the Ace Attorney series in there, since they're only ports to the Japanese.

The majority of remakes are coming from Square-Enix, and even then they're still coming up with just as much original stuff for it.

The PSP and the DS have their own pros and cons.

I originally bought the PSP for the sole purpose of emulation. Of course I bought it shortly after it's release so there weren't many worthy games available at the time. Since then, many PSP games have been released. I'm disappointed that Breath of Fire 3 was not released in the US but I managed to snag a not so cheap copy off of ebay. I'm not gunna lie and say that I haven't exploited the awesome ability of playing iso's from the memory stick but for the most part, I've managed to buy most of the games I downloaded to play. For this alone, I'm very grateful just because I've saved myself from buying some pretty crappy games. Kind of like a large (illegal) demo before deciding weather or not I'd buy it. As for the cons of the PSP, it will definitely take some skills to get it to do what you want it to. I don't care what people say, some of these "How To Guides" for custom emulation are foggy at best, The "scene" members are snobby, and it takes some actual intelligence to figure out. Another downside to the PSP is that it's so d@mn fragile. I've been through about 6 PSPs since my first one. Mostly due from cracked LCD screens.

The DS is pretty cool to but it's not as customizable as the PSP. I don't personally own a DS so I can't say exactly what is so bad about the DS just that it doesn't possess the same potential as the PSP to warrant me to want to jump up and get one. I like the some of the games that DS library has but lately when I go to a Gamestop, I am VERY disappointed with the selection to choose from (as well as for the Wii). There are FAR too many cooking, music, and animal games from the Nintendo section. I mean, they are fun to play but to an extent. From my opinion, they are milking it too much. We need more shooter, action, and racing games. Most of these are already available to the PSP with much better graphics.

So in sum, I'd have to say that (in my opinion) the PSP is better than the DS because of it's library of games and customizable potential. However, I have been contemplating on buying a DS because of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest remakes. I'm hoping for DS remake of FF6 and DQ3.

Like Bane King said the main purpose for buying a psp is emulation. The number of games you can play are limitless any gba,snes, nes, n64 and psx games. Plus psp has a pretty solid line up now. IE Crisis Core, Mgs Portable Ops, Dissidia, FF 1+2, Star Ocean, Tales of Eternia(which u have to emulate oddly enough the english version is not sold but can be emulated), mgs peace walker, breath of fire 3. Line up is slowly but surely getting stronger. Plus being able to emulate zelda and and psx rpg is enough for me.

Edited by haseeb

Just to add, anyone with a psp who was a fan of the old Wizardry games from way back would do well to pick up Class of Heroes. The game is literally Wizardry with a few extras and an anime skin.

Edited by Shadownite

Another downside to the PSP is that it's so d@mn fragile. I've been through about 6 PSPs since my first one. Mostly due from cracked LCD screens.

Do you use your PSPs as a hammer? I've had my PSP for years with no issues what so ever.

Edited by wildstarr

Another downside to the PSP is that it's so d@mn fragile. I've been through about 6 PSPs since my first one. Mostly due from cracked LCD screens.

Do you use your PSPs as a hammer? I've had my PSP for years with no issues what so ever.

In the time it took for this thread to be revived, imagine how many more PSPs must have cracked screens!

I know this old but damn I didn't even notice that. 6 PSPs? I've had mine for 2 years and not a scratch. How does one crack so many screens?!

Old thread but it's worth noting that the PSP has gotten a TON of awesome games in the past year and even has some good ones in 2011. (Persona 2, FF4 compilation, Tactics Ogre, Dissidia 2, Ys, etc)

Old thread again, but it's fun I got three of those games last year (Persona 2, FF4 and Dissidia Duodecim).

I had the first Persona before but could not finish it because my old PSP was stolen. Recently I just finished playing it, started Persona 2: Innocent Sin and bought P3P on Amazon (on its way now). I still wish the second Persona 2 is localized and sold as UMD.