4Gamer.net Job Change Information Article

Mimas

Original article can be found here. Translation follows.

It was revealed that the Nintendo DS game "Dragon Quest IX Protectors of the Starry Sky", which goes on sale March 28 (Sat), has two new jobs, "Mahou Senshi" [Mage Warrior] and Paladin.

Picture on the right: "If a person passes Warrior Level 20 and Mage Level 20 they probably will be allowed to become a Mage Warrior."

In this game there are six jobs Warrior/Mage/Cleric/Martial Artist/Thief/Traveling Entertainer, but these are "base jobs"/ After gaining experience in these base jobs you can change to an "Advanced job" like Mahou Senshi or Paladin.

In the screenshots that have been released we can see that having a level of 20 in both Warrior and Mage allows you to change to a Mahou Senshi. But. you must "Make it through training". Sadly, the contents of said training are still unknown.

On top of this, according to the press release, besides the two mentioned types there are a number of other advanced jobs. Let's wait and look forward to the information.

Left Picture:

Job

Warrior Cleric

LV: 32 LV:1

Mage Martial Artist

LV:18 LV:23

Thief Traveling Entertainer

LV:9 LV:13

Paladin Mage Warrior

LV:1 LV:2

Right Picture:"That's the answer I was looking for. I'm Scalio. First I'll have you go through training."

Also, the details of the Job System have come to light. In this game to change jobs you go to "Dharma Temple" and when you talk to the Dharma Priest (it seems) that you can change jobs at any time. When you change jobs you become level 1, your parameters restart at the starting numbers for that job. So your comrades help you gain experience. On top of this, the items you can equip change based on the job, so don't forget to reequip after changing jobs.

Picture on the right: Dharma Priest: Nine, what job do you wish to join?"

[skipping translating the rest of the pictures.]

Saying that, changing jobs isn't just these demerits. Your level and parameters from before you changed jobs are saved so you can regain the power you lost. So if after changing jobs you are suffering in battle you can just change back to your old job.

Also, "spells" is part of the characteristics of a job, so for example, the spells that you learned as a Cleric can't be used once you've become a Warrior. But the techniques you learn in "Skills" and "Skill Points" get passed along when you change jobs. So for example, the technique "Saint's Protection" which you learn in the Cleric Skill "Pious Heart" can be used if you change to a Warrior. Also skills like the "Sword Skill" which exist in both the Warrior and Thief class can continue to accumulate points. It seems that combination of the techniques and skills of a job will determine how you raise your character

Mage Warrior = Ranger or maybe Dark Knight?

Mahou senshi has been used before in Dragon Quest.

I believe in DW it was translated as ranger.

The mahou senshi learns both sword and magic skills.

That reminds me of DQVI fan translation. Someone had a bit of fun with the ranger class rank names..>>

Share, please. I didn't play the translation (much).

That reminds me of DQVI fan translation. Someone had a bit of fun with the ranger class rank names..>>

Share, please. I didn't play the translation (much).

I haven't played it either.

They named all of the ranger ranks after the power rangers.

That's just sad. :rolleyes:

They named all of the ranger ranks after the power rangers.

Actually, the ranger class in VI is different than the one in VII. The fan translation called Mahou Senshi a Mage Knight. The ranger class existed in Japanese, and in that the ranks really translate

White Ranger

Yellow Ranger

Red Ranger

Blue Ranger

Black Ranger

Power Ranger

Mega Ranger

King Ranger

It probably is a reference to the sentai series that they dub into Power Rangers, but I don't know where the name Power Ranger came from since the show isn't called that there. Also, the order of the colors doesn't make sense to me either if it is a reference to that show.

That order seems more consistent with belt colors in some martial arts.

Yeah, that sounds right. Hats off to you.

That order seems more consistent with belt colors in some martial arts.

Oh, well that's not so bad then. I like that. :)

Archived