Mr. RPG

Final Fantasy IV

Title: FINAL FANTASY IV

Platform: Nintendo DS

Developer: Square Enix

Publisher: Square Enix

Release: July 2008 (USA), 2007 (Japan)

Score: 9.3/10

Final Fantasy IV was first released on the SNES (1991 for Japan and a month later for the U.S) as Final Fantasy II in the U.S because of Square not releasing II or III. FFIV back then was one of the best games ever made with a storyline that proved Final Fantasy was anything but final. Now it was remade completely into 3D for the Nintendo DS with new voice acting, more features, CG cut scenes, and the music redone in the best quality as of yet.

Final Fantasy IV has always been known for its music which was composed by the legendary Nobuo Uematsu with more than 25 tracks. The music is still the same from the previous games, only being arranged and the quality is the best yet. The game's music is so famous that one of the songs, Theme of Love, is commonly taught in Japanese schools.

Graphics were completely remade from 2D sprites into 3D models. FFIV is one of the best looking games I've ever seen on the DS. However because of this new transition into 3D, the game feels "slower" in battles and in areas in the game.

Several features were added and taken out of the new remake for the DS. One of the best features that was added in the last game on the GBA was taken away because of the DS remake's new voice acting. It was the ability to switch between your party members before fighting the last boss. However the new additions more than make up for it like the new augment system, new game + feature, Whyt summon, and the new cut scenes. The new augment system allow you to get new commands and add them to your characters. Here is an example: Suppose you have a 'Song' augment, you'll be able to equip that augment to a character and it will allow him/her to use Songs. Very useful! The New Game+ feature is available after you beat the game (not entirely sure what it is.) One of my favorite features added were additional cut scenes which can also be played back by visiting a bird-like monster called the Fat Chocobo. Another new feature was the customizable Whyt summon, which is completely useless. You can draw a face for him with the DS touch screen and 'train' him by doing mini games but that is pretty much it. You can also battle your friend's Whyts via wireless DS communication but not using Wi-Fi (Stupid Square D<). I suggest avoiding it, it's not worth your time. Many feautres that were on the GBA remake are also in this one. The Bestiary and the music player to name a few.

Gameplay is almost completely identical to the last few games and still uses the famed Active Time Battle system. FFIV is much harder and requires you grind for levels more than the original game.

Final Fantasy has always been about it's storyline, but since this game was made more than 10 years ago is it still considered a epic? Absolutely yes! This game out rivals most of even the next gen RPG's that were released for the PS3, Wii and so on. I don't want to ruin any of the story for you but I will say this, if your into old medieval stories like Dragon Quest, you will not be disappointed with this. Even after 10 years, this game is better than most of the next gen RPGs and non-rpgs.

Final Fantasy IV for the DS is the best remake for a game I've ever seen. Old fans and people who've never played a Final Fantasy game or just this one should pick this up!

Overall Score: 9.3/10

Written by Demonic Rider/King on December 28, 2008.

Edited by Demon King
  • Upvote 2

I have this game. It is definately awesome. :)

Definately worth a buy. :)

• Upvote 1

I know I may draw fire for this, but FF4 is one of my favorite games, but the DS version sucks to me. The talking is cool, but the 3D ruins it for me. As strange as it sounds, I think I'd be happy playing a 2d NES or SNES style game that talks.

Oh are you like anti-3D?

I love both 3D and 2D games. [sigh] Developers really need to make more 2D games though.

Edited by Demon King

I know I may draw fire for this, but FF4 is one of my favorite games, but the DS version sucks to me..

Theres a lot of that going around among the fans of the original. I didn't like the voice acting, because it made me wrong. I still mispronounce Cecil and Yang though.

Anyway, the 3d was fine, but it w3ouold have been interesting to see at least SOME of the cut scenes in the same manner as the intro. Also, The augments left a bit to desire. But you know what the biggest irk? The New game + limit. WHY would I replay if I have to start a new game after three pluses?

I found the music was kinda meh. I was hoping for a more orchestra sound akin to what was in FFIII DS instead of what we have. Great game though. I liked the slightly above average challenge.

I actually pronounced Cecil's name the same way as the game. The only person I knew of with that name was former baseball star Cecil Fielder. How they got Yang to "Young" is beyond me.

Still, I really liked the DS remake. It was true to the original, but at the same time was a real challenge to me, which I wasn't used to in FF games outside of Tactics and to a lesser extent FFXII outside of quickenings.

I really like it, but that might be because I never had the SNES version.

But I HATE EDWARD THE LOSER BARD :ws-slimemad: He is SO BAD!

But I HATE EDWARD THE LOSER BARD :ws-slimemad: He is SO BAD!

Edward's not bad; he's just spoony.

I mostly agree with OP's review, but FFIV DS's audio (music and voice acting alike) has always struck me as mediocre at best. Also, not being able to resume control of characters like Yang and Edward after reuniting with them was disappointing.

i got stuck while tryna find that orb the dark elf stole :(

other than that a pretty solid game. highly recommend it

i got stuck while tryna find that orb the dark elf stole :(

other than that a pretty solid game. highly recommend it

Wow, I got stuck at the same part. I was thinking of trying to push through it, but then I was like, wait a second, I still haven't beaten DQ IX! Hmmmmmmm... Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest...

DRAGON QUEST!!! :D:D:D

And I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since...

I actually pronounced Cecil's name the same way as the game. The only person I knew of with that name was former baseball star Cecil Fielder. How they got Yang to "Young" is beyond me.

Still, I really liked the DS remake. It was true to the original, but at the same time was a real challenge to me, which I wasn't used to in FF games outside of Tactics and to a lesser extent FFXII outside of quickenings.

Pronouncing "Yang" as "Young" is correct, it's a Chinese name. "Yangus", on the other hand, isn't..

One of the worst RPGs I've ever had the misfortune to play. Terrible characters, lol worthy story, and gameplay was mediocre.

I like how they took out the bonus content and the party switch options thereby making this a complete downgrade from the previous remakes.

I have actually purchased this game in all of its US-released incarnations, beginning with its first. My brother actually bought it back in 91', but I still played the piss out of it.

The 3D DS remake was its second-finest incarnation. The best being the GBA version, the worst being the PSP. The difficulty Matrix adds to their remakes is a welcome change. Fighting Barbiccia in the DS remake was fantastic! For the first time in years Zeromus had me on the ropes, too! I still whipped his ass in the end, though.

I cannot stress how much I hate The After Years, so I'll avoid that whole can of worms here.

Essentially, I own every FF game. You make valid points in this, but the gameplay was definitely slow for me, even when you change the options to push it faster. It was just a bit of a snooze imo sometimes xD

But I did like the minigames! It was a good piece to add to the game, but I still say III is my favorite remake currently. Ehh, I just never liked the characters in this verse, I could never grow attached to them, especially Cecil. His voice actor I'm too familiar with. I own about 6 other games with his same exact voice acter, seriously.

Ehh, I wasn't even able to move on because I've gotten bored of the game, no matter how much I try to stay motivated. The bosses are challenging, but I just give up knowing I gotta grind with the slow battle system.

But to some, this would be a game worth getting, but I'd stick to III when it comes to remakes xD

One thing I liked about this game is that I felt the voices really help with the dialogue, helps set the mood to the game.

Also, between the augments and changes made to the bosses, the fights changed quite a bit. On more than one occasion, if you try a strategy from one of the older versions, you got wrecked.

I did have a couple gripes with some of the characters, either Tellah (seriously, 90MP?) or Edge (he's cool, but I think Yang should've stuck around).

Nonetheless, This is by far my favorite Final Fantasy game.

Now I wanna see Matrix do FF 5 and 6.

I prefer the PSP port of FFIV in FFIV Complete (( I like the GBA version, which the PSP port is an enhanced version of )) but this game had some neat extras I liked, such as the tradable skills and whatnot.

• Upvote 1

I'm just playing FFIV for the first time now, albeit the GBA version. I'm about 6 hours in and, so far, I'm very impressed. The story is great and keeps moving along with significant plot points relatively close together. The characters have been pretty good, especially Cecil. I like how the dialogue really makes you feel their motivation, their pain, their confusion, whatever. My only real complaint (besides the glitches) is that the monster sets have no variety. There are some places where you will literally only encounter 1 group of enemies, over and over again. Had there been some variety here it would have been excellent.

Still, I am very impressed and can't believe I've neglected to play this game all these years!

• Upvote 1

You should definately play V and VI next.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if you were directing that at me, but I certainly plan to! Maybe not immediately, but in the near future. I've played a bit of V and VI back when the PS2 first came out and I picked up FF Anthology (I never had a PS1), but only a wee bit into each, really. They both seemed like pretty great games, though!

A lot of people say that FF 6 is one of the best games ever made, and I have to say, I agree with them.

There's a large cast, they get a surprising amount of focus, and I don't feel like the game drags its feet at any point

^ Yes, I firmly believe ff6 is the best in the series and is in desperate need of a 3ds remake.

That aside, this ffiv remake is quite solid and the augment system is a nice touch even if it is a bit limited; you'll need a plan to get your final five characters decked out in three playthroughs.

The graphics are a slightly dated now even for a ds game but the soundtrack is great classic final fantasy. And then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=n01JYXwxkeo

I really liked IV, for the DS, it was unbelievably hard, but I finally beat it.  I also suggest playing the after years for the psp after you play this one.