[Jan 5th] New scans + translations

tummai

New DQIX info translation:

GameTsunami article

Pasted below. I tried to put new stuff in RED:

Back from the holidays! And lo and behold there is new Dragon Quest IX information in this week’s Shonen Jump. Here is the one-page scan:

(BIG FILE, see original article for the full scan)

Battle

The article goes through a sample round of combat. If you want to follow along, start at the top center of the scan page and follow the arrows.

1. You choose from various commands that should be familiar to players of the DQ series. Once you’ve selected all commands, the battle will start.

2. The Mage advances towards an enemy (a Wyvern) and casts a spell (Mera, ie Blaze). Looks like the Mage got the first attack!

3. Next the Fighter charges in and gets in the enemy’s (a Puchi-Zucchinya) face.

4. The screen moves to the monsters perspective as the Wyvern attacks the Fighter.

5. The screen rotates. The Puchi-Zucchinya attacks the Fighter from behind.

6. The camera zooms out to the Priest who casts a spell (Sukara - raises one ally’s defense rating).

7. Finally it’s the Soldier’s turn. He uses a Technique and finishes off the Puchi-Zucchinya.

The article mentioned that a monster attacked a character from behind. It doesn’t state whether back-attacks are stronger than front-attacks or not. I wouldn’t read too much into this yet. The tone of the article seems to be hyping the camera movement on the battlefield, so more than likely they are just pointing out “Ooh, look. It’s not just a line of stationary enemies anymore.”

Hissatsu, aka Special Oh-S*** Moves

DQIX also has Hissatsu moves. I don’t know how this will be translated, but they become available to you when you are in deep trouble (like low hit points). They are special attacks that presumably do lots of damage. Different classes have different Hissatsu moves.

dqix_shonenjump_20090105_2.jpg

1. When you are in a pinch, Special Hissatsu moves become available.

2. Hissatsu moves differ by class. Soldiers, for example, can invoke an Excellent Hit.

3. When Hissatsu moves are available, your Hissatsu command will light up to let you know you can use it.

4. What happens if all of your party members join together and do a Hissatsu move at the same time? Super Hissatsu Move! Likely to be badass. Note the big sword falling from heaven.

Pretty cool to see these in there. Note that Hissatsu moves are different from Techniques that each class learns through Skill Point distribution.

New Monsters

Finally we have some new monsters. These monsters are unique to DQIX.

dqix_shonenjump_20090105_3.jpg

From Right to Left: Nubon, Desert Runner, Uba Soldier, Snail Frog. Click to enlarge.

1. Nubon - This monster appears sluggish and lazy, but watch out because he might suddenly grab a boulder and throw it at you.

2. Desert Runner - Nicknamed “Desert Meteor”, this sucker is fast. In the screenshot he is casting Biorimu (SpeedUp or Accelerate), which is a spell that raises all allies’ agility.

3. Upa Soldier - This guy is good at dodging attacks. In the screenshot it says “Upa Soldier is getting ready to dodge an attack.”

4. Snail Frog - In Japanese Denden-gaeru, a cross between the words for snail and frog. This guy licks you in the face and makes it so you can’t move, much like other DQ monsters with big tongues.

Conclusion

That’s it! Can’t wait for DQIX! To keep up-to-date on the latest Dragon Quest IX news, subscribe to my RSS feed.

Dragon Quest IX will be released in Japan on March 28, 2009. It will cost 5980 yen.

Links:

Official Site

As always tummai, I cannot thank you enough for linking this.

I was definitely curious how they were going to fill in the void for tension and it appears each class having their own moves is filling said void.

Those are some trippy new monsters.

Good to see a new setting in these scans... I hope there's a snowy area too

I'm not sure about the hissatsu attacks. I hope that they don't mess up the balance of the game. Still, they could be a lot of fun.

Wow, thanks again for all the info

As always tummai, I cannot thank you enough for linking this.

I was definitely curious how they were going to fill in the void for tension and it appears each class having their own moves is filling said void.

My pleasure. I'll keep them coming as long as I can find the articles. Thank Mimas too, because she's the one who tipped me off that there would be a DQIX article in today's Weekly Shonen Jump.

I think each class having their own move is pretty cool. I wonder if it's just one per class or if you can get several. And if you are multi-classed, can you pick from any of your classes' Hissatsu moves or just your current class's?

Those are some trippy new monsters.

Good to see a new setting in these scans... I hope there's a snowy area too

I like the Snail Frog. I'm a big fan of mixed animals :)

Looks like the wasteland that we had seen briefly in earlier scans. The monster Desert Runner suggests that there will be a desert area. I'm hoping for snow too.

I'm not sure about the hissatsu attacks. I hope that they don't mess up the balance of the game. Still, they could be a lot of fun.

In DQ games if I get low on HP I'm usually thinking about healing, not offense. :) Looks like Priests are going to be getting the Agility Seeds.

Wow, thanks again for all the info

No problem! Thanks for the nice website and forums :)

Thanks to Mimas as well and pardon me for not giving credit where credit is due.

Just as an off-topic side note, I am going to try and get some sort of makeshift guide going when the game is leaked/gets released. Most of my recommendations will probably involve over-leveling although if the situation is similar to VII, I may try and spend time instead building up classes.

Cool! :wd_coolslime:

Something about back attacks could mean: The player/enemy might be less likely to avoid the blow. Of course, it might or might not be anything though, just thought of that when reading the post.

I'm thinking it's like those attacks that would occur in Final Fantasy VI occasionally when your character's HP was very low...

Archived