Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DQFFF

Dragon Quest V: Staff of Time

Introduction

(Note: Name of DQ5 Hero is Abel, like the manga, Bianca is the one he married, the son is named Artemis and the daughter is named Amelia.)

It has been eight years since the descendant of the legendary warrior defeated Mildrath and restored peace to the world. The prince and princess of Granvania have grown to be excellent fighters. Artemis, the prince, is now a great warrior while Amelia became a master spellcaster.

Artemis has grown tired of the usual life of a prince. The Zenithian Equipment was locked away in case evil would come back. He had heard of a shrine in the surrounding forest with a mysterious object in the heart. Deciding to venture for the object, Artemis snuck out of Granvania alone.

Armed with only a club and cloth armor, Artemis battled waves of slimes and brownies, and eventually found a small clearing. Located there was a shrine covered in vines. Artemis went inside and found a wide array of puzzles and traps located throughout. Through skill and luck, Artemis made it to the room he was looking for.

A small room with paintings of priests and magical elements was what Artemis found. On an altar in the center of the room rested a staff with a ruby gem crafted into one end. As he walked towards the staff, it started to glow a bright red, almost like a flame cast by a wizard. Seizing the staff, Artemis was soon filled with power he had never felt before, not even from the legendary equipment.

Just then, a dark figure came into the room. "Well, young lad, you found my staff. I left it here for safekeeping," The figure said in a hoarse voice. Artemis knew the figure, which turned out to be a mage, was lying. "I won't give this to you!"

The mage crept towards Artemis, ready to attack him and steal the staff. In a moment of instinct, Artemis held up the staff to defend himself. The staff gave off a blinding light and turned everything in the room to stone, including the mage, as well as Artemis...

Back at Granvania, Amelia had been looking for her brother all day. She soon got all of the palace guards to search the foundation and the surrounding area. King Abel soon got word of his son's disappearance and went looking himself. He and the queen Bianca went into the forrest, finding the clearing Artemis had been to. Finding the shrine, Abel attempted to enter only to find out that it caved in, as a result of an earthquake...

Thousands and thousands of years passed.....

Cool. Looking forward to reading more!

Chapter 1

"Discovery"

Vera is a young mage in training who lives in a small village named Huros. Vera decided to explore the surrounding forrest because of rumors floating around of a magical force deep inside.

Magic has greatly improved since Artemis's time, even coming up with spells that can reverse the effects of other spells. As Vera approached the remains of the old shrine, she cast explodet and blew open the entrance. Upon reaching the altar, Vera discovered a lone statue of a young man. Vera noticed the staff and immediately remembered an old legend her grandfather told her. After casting the spell Reverse, The statue soon sprang to life before Vera's eyes.

"Where am I?" a confused Artemis asked in shock. Vera explained about finding the shrine in the middle of the forest and casting the spell on Artemis. "Well, I had better get back to Granvania Castle," Artemis nervously said as he got off the ground, clutching the ruby staff.

"I have never heard of Granvania Castle before," Vera explained to Artemis, catching his attention.

"It's just outside this forest, you can't miss it," Artemis replied, terrified of what might have happened.

"Well, there is something you should know...." Vera's voice dimmed as Artemis ran out of the shrine as fast as he could. Upon reaching the outside, Artemis immediately knew that something happened. The shrine was buried in the ground except for the top sticking out a few feet. The clearing he remembered in his mind a few minutes ago, was now covered in trees.

To Artemis, only a few seconds had passed from his encounter with the mage and his encounter with Vera. In reality,

five thousand years had passed.

Artemis headed in the direction of his home, Granvania Castle, only to find nothing but ruins. As Vera caught up with him, she said, "This is the only castle in the area, but it is just ruins." Artemis was in a moment of horror and shock. "Do you know when this castle was destroyed?" Artemis asked in Vera, but she replied, "I'm not sure. You should ask my grandfather. He studies the history of our world."

And together, Artemis and Vera headed for Vera's hometown, Huros.

Vera took Artemis to her grandfather, Kiros, upon reaching the town, located at the foot of a mountain range.

"Grandfather, I found him in the old shrine," Vera explained as her grandfather stopped his studying to listen.

"You say you found a staff in that shrine that gave off a light?" Kiros asked Artemis, as though he read his mind.

"How did you know?" Artemis replied in a confused tone.

"That shrine is called The Shrine of Time. Legend says that there was a staff inside that could turn enemies to stone and reverse time itself!" Kiros proclamed. "The shrine, and everything in it, was supposedly frozen in time a few thousand years ago by the staff, when it was last used. As for the staff itself, no one knows how to use it, so its full potential cannot be achieved."

"I must be in the future, then," Artemis said to himself. There was no way he'd see Amelia or his parents again.

"No matter! The king of Sacrymora is a big history buff, and can tell you more about it. His castle is located to the south, over the mountains. You will have to go through to see him. I will take you there."

"Right," answered Artemis.

The three then gathered supplies from the local shops. Artemis kept his mysterious staff, and bought herbs and antidotes just in case. With all the proper equipment, Artemis and his companions started their journey.

I want more, I want more, I want more Please :)! I'm really enjoying this story can you please add more?

I want more, I want more, I want more Please :)! I'm really enjoying this story can you please add more?

I'm coming up with more...but between this and the RPG game of this and my other RPG games and school and some other stuff...but more is definately coming.

(I'm still coming up with the next part.) :goofyslime:

Chapter 2

"Knowing the truth"

The mountain range itself is very treacherous. Artemis heard stories of his father and mother travelling through the mountains when they were newly married. Artemis was armed with his ruby staff, and not knowing how to use any other weapon besides his Zenithian Sword, simply hit the slimes and rats. Vera used her magic, while Kiros supported his team. The party made it up to the top where a small village was found.

"This is the village of Chizod!" The lady yelled to Artemis from across the bridge. The bridge itself was old and some boards were either broken or falling off. Artemis was very cautious as his party crept across.

The bridge fell just as the three got to the other side.

Resting at the inn, Artemis had a hard time sleeping because he had too many thoughts roaming around in his head. Would he get back to his time? What happened to Granvania? What will he do now? Only a few hours of sleep was achieved...

The next morning, Artemis, Vera, and Kiros went back down the mountain, on their way to Sacrymora. Filled with monster candles and even more slimes, the party made it through easily.

As the exit of the cave was seen, Kiros gave his farewells. "I have important matters to attend to at Huros, and must be getting back. I trust you, Artemis, to take care of Vera. Wherever you go after speaking with the king is fine by me. You are, after all, the legendary hero." And with that, he left.

Arriving at Sacrymora Castle, Artemis first took notice of how beautiful and elegant the scenery was. There were statues of warriors, beasts, and other animals lined up along the path to the castle doors. A large fountain spewing crystal clear water was located in the middle, easily standing out from the rest. Artemis and Vera headed inside and right to the king's chamber.

"Welcome to my kingdom, travelers!" The king boasted as the two walked in. "We are from Huros to the north," Vera explained to the king, who had noticed Artemis's staff. "Is that...?" The king asked in awe.

"Yes, I came from the shrine..." Artemis replied as if he were an automaton, having to repeat himself to everyone who inquired about his staff. "I am the former prince of Granvania."

"Do you know what happened to the castle? About a few years after the princes's disappearance, the castle was attacked by an army of monsters, looking for their master. The legendary equipment was taken away and hidden, but no one knows where it went..."

Artemis was now in shock, having lost his equipment of the Zenithians.

"You do know about the evil mage, no?" The king asked as Artemis became lost in his thoughts. "His name is Carnigan the master. About a few hundred years ago, he appeared out of the shrine, and built up an army of monsters to try and take over the world. He is searching for your staff, no doubt."

"We were frozen in time at the same time..." Artemis tried to think back and remember. As for Vera, she fell silent at the mention of the legendary equipment.

"He must be defeated and order must be restored to this world!" The king yelled as if Artemis was a few feet away. "You must save this continent first, though. There is a tower to the north, across the lake where Granvania once looked over. One of Carnigan's minions occupy the tower which serves as a gateway to the dark world. It is your first step in saving this world. Carnigan once studied the magics of the staff you currently possess. If you were to defeat him, you may be able to return to your own time..."

Having to take all of the information in, Artemis gladly accepted his mission. The legendary hero must protect the world, even if his time was in the past. "I will do it!" He said to the king.

Starting back towards Huron, Artemis and Vera began the journey that will be their first step to saving the world.

I was half asleep when I first made chapter 2, so I decided to leave it at what it was and took a rest.

More is coming, but it will take some time to come.

(I don't want to rush it and have it end up being a short and boring/bad story.)

Chapter 3

"Pitstop..."

(Finally!)

Just to the north of the abandoned shrine lies the river town of Umashe(Oo mah shay). Lined with wooden houses inhabited by farmers and workers. Artemis only came here so he could cross the river by boat, which these people made. The boatmaker, a mysterious cloaked man, immediately denied Artemis's request.

"But we have to cross Lake River! You must make us a boat!" Vera protested to the man, now getting ready for sleep. This man paid no attention to the two at all, thinking of them as "crazy teenagers making a mess."

After resting at the local inn, Artemis was awoken by screams of terror coming from outside. A group of raiders coming from a distant island to the west have attacked the village! Artemis and Vera were able to fight and defeat most of the raiders, but more and more kept coming.

"Here! Let me help you!"

A monk by the name of Eden came to the rescue. Together, the three attempted to fend off the waves of raiders, who were eventually identified as inhabitants of a desert island to the far west. Their leader is Mengis Dan, a fierce warlord who plans for world domination.

Facing the brute leader, Eden, Artemis, and Vera fought weakly, due to massive fatigue. Mengis Dan captured the three and then sent them back to his kingdom, Mascidon (Moss eye don)...

Mascidon is a kingdom of warriors. All men are tough and strong, while all women stay inside houses and obey every command. Boys trained to become strong like their fathers, while girls stayed with their mothers and helped prepare food and take care of the house...what a mess!

Artemis, Eden, and Vera became slaves to Mengis Dan's castle. Their first task, digging through the mountains to make a faster path to the ocean, got the three working harder than slimes combining into a king slime. Tired and hungry, Artemis soon realized how his father felt when he was a slave all those years ago.

Vera was worked to death, but her magic abilities helped to keep her healthy. Vera worked as a slave in the castle and attended to the king and the warriors. When a warrior would mess with her, Vera would just cast a spell and burn the warrior up.

Eden, being a monk who does not encourage severe work like this, was beaten constantly because he never worked as hard. He too helped dig through the mountains to create a path to the ocean. Eden soon grew sick and weak from all of the work.

After a few months of working, the mountain was cleared. (The three got there when the mountain was halfway cleared.)

A port town was soon built and the warriors could now get to other lands easier. One night, Artemis, Vera, and Eden got together and thought of a plan to escape. "We will steal a boat and sail back to Umashe." The trio waited and gathered supplies for their journey before their plan would come into action.

They left when the port was quiet. The boat ride lasted a few days, but they managed to get back to Umashe. The village was completely destroyed, and no people were left, except for a few raiders who settled down.

"Look! Survivors!"

After a swift battle, which included the raiders burning down Artemis's boat, The raiders were defeated. "But now we have no boat to cross the river!"

"How about I make you that boat? I am, after all, the boatman." Eden responded, proud of what Artemis accomplished. After an hour of Eden gathering wood and crafting a simple raft, just for crossing the river.

"This should get you across. Since this place is gone, and my people are working as slaves, I want to join you to defeat the evil in the world. There are many others who are working under opressors and corrupt leaders."

Together, after facing a slight detour, Artemis, Vera, and Eden finally head towards the tower where they may learn more about the powers of the staff...

Chapter 4

"Tower of Time"

Crossing the river was easy, but the real challenge was losing the boat. As the three heroes reached their destination island, the boat was swept away by a fierce current. "I guess we are stuck here for now..." Eden sighed into the calm breeze.

Pressing on towards the dark tower, the sky began to turn a dark orange. Birds and crows could be heard in the distance, flying away from the danger Artemis could sense ahead. The tower itself was a few stories tall, although it would have been taller if the higher stories weren't destroyed. Erosion got the best of it, but it is still scary.

Inside the tower was a straightforward path, as the wrong passages were blocked off by rubble. Up to the third floor was when the challenge came. An altar was located in the center of the room, with an ugly throne behind it. A man in a blue cloak sat there, watching Artemis's every step.

"So, you are the old hero," The man called out to Artemis. Having his small staff ready, Artemis crept towards the watching man. "Do you know anything about thie?" Artemis asked, ready to attack if struck.

"The staff...I have heard of it from my master," The man replied. "Only through the divine mages of time can the staff get any stronger."

Just then, the mage disappeared, which threw Artemis off guard. "Where is he!?" Vera yelled out, looking around everywhere.

The man suddenly appeared and struck Artemis right in the back, sending him flying a few feet. Eden attempted to help Artemis, only to be flown back by a quick blow. It was Vera who got the man to stop, casting a basic fire attack, which the man was weak against. "How did you guess my weakness??" The man called out in despair. "Well, you are wearing a blue cloak, meaning water. I just used the opposite element."

Dumbfounded, Artemis attacked the man by suprise. After a fierce battle, Artemis and his friends came out victorious. As the man faded away, a beam of light emerged and came towards the Ruby Staff. It started to glow a bright red, then turned white and then to blue. "Your staff has been upgraded..." The man said as he disappeared completely.

Leaving the tower was just as "fun" as going up. The problem was, obviously, that the three had no way of returning to the mainland. In a moment of luck, the heroes came across a ship that was getting ready to sail towards a distant kingdom towards the far north.

"We have to go. If what that man said was true, then there must be other mages out there that can make this staff stronger, and hopefully get me back to my own time."

"I agree. I have never been out north before," Vera replied, ready for adventure. Eden had nowhere else to go, so he would travel with them as well. "Let's get going!" Eden yelled into the sky.

Once getting the ship's attention, Artemis, Vera, and Eden boarded the vessel and they sailed off towards the kingdom of Saint Rose.

More is coming! Just need to deal with all of my school problems!

EDIT

Actually, I'm stumped. I'm the kind of writer that can think of the

big picture, but not the little details that falls in between.

When I get some free time, I'm going to get back to work on this!

Chapter 5

"Legend of the Blue Moon Dragon"

(After a long while!)

The kingdom of Saint Rose was an average kingdom. Artemis and his companions could walk around the whole kingdom twice in an hour. The shops had average wares, the conditions of the inn were dreadful, and the church had rats. The only hope for the kingdom was in a glowing blue stone located in the center of the city, just in front of the castle entrance. The tourism was the only income the city was gaining. One must wonder how the royal family of a kingdom like this are related to some famous warriors of the past(but after Artemis's time) who helped save the city from a fierce dragon.

Artemis and Vera visited the king, who supplied them with information of a very famous legend. The Blue Moon Dragon was a large and scary beast that would terrorize the land surrounding Saint Rose. A warrior coming from the west had a mystic artifact that was eventually able to contain the beast. No one knew what happened to this artifact, but the legends say that the warrior discovered a shining blue stone.

"The warrior eventually became king of this city, and the stone he found became a town relic," The king concluded while looking over his kingdom.

Artemis and Vera stayed the night at the castle inn, while Eden explored the streets alone. Eden headed to the center of town to gaze in awe at the blue stone. It was now glowing a dark but pleasant red. At first, Eden thought nothing of it, but soon shouts were heard from the north. A group of bandits appeared, looking to pillage the kingdom.

"Help! Bandits are here!" Eden shouted into the silent sky. Villagers woke up, still drowsy, before they realised what was going on. Castle and town guards filled the streets to battle the threat.

Artemis and Vera woke up to the confusion outside. Battling through waves of soldiers, the two finally made it to the blue stone. Eden was there, beaten up by the bandits.

"You must give us the stone!" The bandit lord shouted in anger to Eden. Eden, however, was unconcious and unable to respond, making the oblivious bandits attack him even further.

"No need to start anything!" Artemis shouted back to the bandits. "It's just a blue stone, nothing important about it now." As Artemis pulled out his Time Staff, the bandits began their attack. Artemis ran to Eden to help him up. Oddly enough, the blue stone started glowing a constant red, brighter than ever before. The bandit lord attacked Artemis and Eden, knocking them both into the stone. As the bandit lord came in for the kill, a bright red light emerged from the stone, and Artemis, Eden, and the bandit lord, as well as the stone, all vanished into thin air...Everyone, Vera, the guards, and the bandits all stared in wonder at what seemed like a most impossible feat.

Artemis woke up to the sound of a lout roar. Just then, a large dragon flew over his head, into a cave to the north. The Bandit Leader, determined to kill the dragon for its scales, ran straight for the cave. Artemis woke Eden up and they both took the blue stone to the cave. Neither one of them had any idea what was going on.

"This is weird, everybody's gone... and the town's gone, too!" Eden exclaimed. "We should follow the dragon."

The dragon led the two to a large cave. At the end of the cave Artemis could hear shouting, as if someone was fighting. As they got closer, the shouts could be seen coming from a warrior battling the dragon. He looked like the man in the picture at Saint Rose Castle.

"We must be in the past!" Artemis realized, looking at his staff. "It must have brought us to this time when I touched the blue stone." Just then, the bandit emerged from a passage, charging towards the warrior.

"If the warrior does not defeat the dragon, the future will definately change!" Eden shouted. They were able to reach the bandit just before he delivered a killing blow to the warrior.

A few blows later, the bandit backed up in defeat, then charged toward the dragon. In one swoop, the dragon gulped the bandit, leaving nothing but the memory of him...

As for the warrior, he pulled out an artifact shaped like a ball. He held it up to the dragon, and a light shone, stopping the dragon in its tracks. The blue stone started glowing as well, and the blue exterior broke apart, revealing a ball similar to the one the warrior wielded. The room grew very cold, and froze the warrior's artifact, making it look like the same blue stone. As all this was happening, Artemis and Eden looked on helplessly. Another great flash, and the two returned to the present time.

They woke up at the Saint Rose square, with Vera and the bandits still there. It seems that no time has passed since the whole episode began. The castle guards drove the bandits away to the east. The king appeared and walked up to Artemis.

"So, you found out the truth." The king said to Artemis, staring at the artifact. "The warrior trapped the dragon in that ball, but something unknown to him happened, freezing the stone in a rock."

"I guess having both objects in the same room created a freezing light..." Artemis thought to himself. There was much more about his staff that he didn't know yet. Now he is determined to find the rest of the time mages and eventually get back to his own time.

awesome. love the story so far.

Chapter 6

"The Thunder Mage"

Back at Saint Rose, The heroes discovered the location of another Mage. He was located to the far east to the south of a village named Elroma. They had to cross the kingdom of Reinhart (Artemis was surprised that it was still standing strong). Due to continental drift, the landmass Reinhart was located on and the landmass where Artemis's grandmother was from have connected.(I can't spell it! :( )

Artemis, Vera, and Eden all expected a very large tower with the mage waiting at the top, but instead they found a small shrine, possibly smaller than the one Artemis froze himself in. And it was.

There was only one room, an altar with scattered benches surrounding it. The walls were lined with ivy, yet the room had a somewhat pleasant smell. The mage, dressed in yellow robes, was chanting a prayer to the gods.

"Ah, you have come to defeat me and restore power to that staff." The mage said in a sinister tone towards the heroes.

"How did you see us?" Artemis asked in confusion.

"I can see all in this room.....Through that mirror."(He pointed to a mirror to his left.) "I happen to know much about that staff, so if you give me time to explain..." Artemis and his companions sat down on a nearby bench.

"That staff once had the power to altar all aspects of time. I am a descendant of one of the five keepers of the time staff. Now, there are nine keepers who serve the Master. We have grown because our ancestors extracted four powers from the staff and created four mages. If they were defeated, the staff would regain its lost power. You have defeated one mage so far, and gained the ability to travel back in time through contact with an artifact. The five other mages hold the ability to perfect a power. You cannot choose when to go back in time, but if you defeat the mage holding that power, you may do so whenever you want. I, however, am not that mage. If you defeat me, your staff will become much a much sturdier iron instead of wood, and perfect your ability to freeze enemies as well as all of time for as long as you want."

Artemis was ready for the challenge. "Let's get started!"

Immediately, he froze the thunder mage in place. It didn't last long, however, as the mage broke free from the time hold. He countered with a swift thunder strike, nearly paralyzing Artemis. Thunder, he thought. There's no thunder when it is a bright sunny day!

Artemis told Vera to blow a hole in the roof. She casted Explodet and blew the roof off. The sun shone down bright on the mage, freezing him in place. Artemis pulled out his staff and froze the mage again. He was now a stone statue standing in the middle of the shrine.

Soon afterwards, the staff shone a bright white, and turned to iron. The ruby was now held in place by four iron bars jutting from the base of the staff. An intricate design was crafted on the opposite end, making this staff much more appealing to the eyes than before.

Artemis noticed a book laying next to the statue. He opened it up and found the powers of each mage:

Powers:

Red(Blood/Life) = Bring random people to user's current time.

Blue(Water) = Travel to the past through contact with an artifact.

White(Ice) = See something that will happen in the future.

Black(Darkness) = Slow down time for a short while.

Keepers:

Purple(Wisdom) = See any event that will happen in the future.

Yellow(Thunder) = Freeze all enemies and time itself.

Green(Nature) = Bring anyone to user's time.

Orange(Sun/Sky) = Slow down time for however long/much needed.

Gray(Clouds) = Travel through time at will.

Artemis took this information and now knew the properties of the staff. He looked at one power, "Bring anyone to user's time." He thought of bringing his sister or even his father to his time to help Artemis with defeating Carnigan and getting back to his own time. But what would he do right now, in the moment?

"I need to rest. This is just too much for me to handle," Artemis said to Vera and Eden. "Let's head to Reinhart. They must still be allies of Granvania, even though my kingdom has been destroyed." They were not. In fact, quite the opposite...

Bum bum buuuuumm!!

Introduction

(Note: Name of DQ5 Hero is Abel, like the manga, Bianca is the one he married, the son is named Artemis and the daughter is named Amelia.)

It has been eight years since the descendant of the legendary warrior defeated Mildrath and restored peace to the world. The prince and princess of Granvania have grown to be excellent fighters. Artemis, the prince, is now a great warrior while Amelia became a master spellcaster.

Artemis has grown tired of the usual life of a prince. The Zenithian Equipment was locked away in case evil would come back. He had heard of a shrine in the surrounding forrest with a mysterious object in the heart. Deciding to venture for the object, Artemis snuck out of Granvania alone.

Armed with only a club and cloth armor, Artemis battled waves of slimes and brownies, and eventually found a small clearing. Located there was a shrine covered in vines. Artemis went inside and found a wide array of puzzles and traps located throughout. Through skill and luck, Artemis made it to the room he was looking for.

A small room with paintings of priests and magical elements was what Artemis found. On an altar in the center of the room rested a staff with a ruby gem crafted into one end. As he walked towards the staff, it started to glow a bright red, almost like a flame casted by a wizard. Seizing the staff, Artemis was soon filled with power he had never felt before, not even from the legendary equipment.

Just then, a dark figure came into the room. "Well, young lad, you found my staff. I left it here for safekeeping," The figure said in a hoarse voice. Artemis knew the figure, which turned out to be a mage, was lying. "I won't give this to you!"

The mage crept towards Artemis, ready to attack him and steal the staff. In a moment of instinct, Artemis held up the staff to defend himself. The staff gave off a blinding light and turned everything in the room to stone, including the mage, as well as Artemis...

Back at Granvania, Amelia had been looking for her brother all day. She soon got all of the palace guards to search the foundation and the surrounding area. King Abel soon got word of his son's disappearance and went looking himself. He and the queen Bianca went into the forrest, finding the clearing Artemis had been to. Finding the shrine, Abel attempted to enter only to find out that it caved in, as a result of an earthquake...

Thousands and thousands of years passed.....

BTW, there is only 1 r in Forest.

Oops :laugh:

More to come soon.

Chapter 7

"The Death Games, Part 1"

Upon reaching Reinhart castle, Artemis knew it wasn't the same as he had seen it before. The castle looked dark and scary, the villagers looked like the poorest creatures he had ever seen, and a large cup rose from the top tower of the castle, filled with a blue flame. There were no shops, no inn, and no happiness.

As Artemis attempted to enter the castle, he was stopped by two guards. "What business do you have here?" They said in a booming voice.

"I come from Granvania castle." Artemis's reply sounded like a small dog begging for food.

"Granvania!? Our kingdom destroyed that place years ago!"

Artemis couldn't believe what he had just heard. "What made you do that?"

The guard wouldn't say, instead letting Artemis and his companions into the castle. The layout was basically the same, but the lack of light and presence of a bad odor and slimy walls made Artemis question the events that led Reinhart to become this way.

Artemis reached the throne room when he knew why. It was the mage he had found in the shrine. He must have taken over the kingdom, Artemis thought.

"Welcome to my kingdom, Artemis. I knew you would come here eventually." The mage said to the stunned travelers.

"Do you like what I did to the place?" The mage had a big smirk on his face.

"There is one thing you should know, though. Once someone enters my kingdom, they can never leave unless they play the Death Games. If you each complete the Games, you may leave. If not, you either die from the games, or stay here forever!"

Suddenly, guards appeared and blocked all exits from the throne room. Artemis, Vera, and Eden had no choice but to enter the Death Games.

"The Death Games are divided into 5 games," The Mage explained.

"Game 1: You must race through a fire path to the finish line."

"Game 2: Dig a giant hole in the ground, and race each other to climb out."

"Game 3: Our guards will throw spears at you, which you must attempt to dodge."

"Game 4: A room will be filled with poison gas. You must open the correct door and escape before you die from poison."

"Game 5: Dual to the death with our top fighters."

"Oh, and you must give up all weapons. We will provide weapons when needed. If any magic is used during the games, you will be killed on the spot. Do you wish to enter the Death Games?"

Artemis, Vera, and Eden accepted; there was nowhere to go now. The trio was locked in a dungeon at the bottom of the castle, with a bunch of other contestants.

Everyone there looked very scrawny and weak, as if they had been in the cell for years. There was only one fit person, and his name was Tensh. "New players, I presume?" Tensh asked Artemis. "You see, we are trapped here, only fed once a day, given little water, little bathroom space. Contestants must take a test to be worthy to participate. If you pass, you go right into the Games. If you lost the test, you stay here until the next test. Basically, you must pass the test or stay here forever."

The next day, the test came. "Here is the test: You must be able to stand for 5 minutes after being stabbed in both legs." The weak people were stabbed and they all fell. Tensh was stabbed and survived. Artemis was able to survive as well as Eden. Vera, however, did not make it.

"Don't worry, Vera, I'll be back for you," Artemis assured Vera as she was healed by the castle healer.

Artemis, Eden, and Tensh were then escorted to the courtyard to participate in the Death Games.

Ouchies. Tell me they wont kill eachother though!

Chapter 8

"The Death Games, Part 2"

As Artemis, Eden, and Tensh are lead to the courtyard of Reinhart castle, they are soon joined by twelve other competitors. They all looked scared, just wanting to get out and return to their families.

"And now," A castle guard recited, "Please welcome the ruler of Reinhart, the Dark Lord Carnigan!"

Carnigan gave a bow. "There are fifteen of you here today, 11 men and 4 women, to compete in the 500th Death Games competition! Only one of you may leave as champion, however. Using your skill, wit, and survival instinct will allow you to take the glory!"

"The first game is a race through the flaming path while wearing no footwear. The top 10 will move on to the next game. Anyone left alive will return to the 'waiting room.' Let us begin!"

The competitors lined up at the starting line. Artemis and Eden wished each other luck.

"READY,

SET,

GO!!!"

Everyone ran through the path, trying to endure the blistering heat. A man was in the lead, followed by Tensh, the 4 women, Artemis, and the rest of the racers. A men and a woman fell to the heat, and the race ended soon enough. The man in the lead was the one who fell.

"And we have our winner! Tensh is the champion of the flame race! With a record-breaking time of one minute, he and the next nine placers will be moving on!" A woman and two men were escorted back to the dungeons.

Carnigan then calmed the cheering crowd down. "Tensh, because of your new world-record, may replace any remaining challengers with anyone waiting in the dungeon."

Tensh noticed a man who was suffering third-degree burns, and promptly replaced him with Vera.

"Only 7 men and 3 women remain in the Death Games! After a short break, the next game will take place!" Carnigan roared to the crowd. Eden, Artemis, Tensh, and Vera readied themselves for the next game.

Chapter 9

"The Death Games, Part 3"

"And now for the second game of the Death Games, you must all dig a giant hole in the center of this courtyard, and make an attempt to climb out. The catch is that you must only use your bare hands to dig. The first 8 to leave the hole will be moving on to the next game. You may begin!"

The ten remaining contenders began to dig the hole. The hole took many hours to complete, and it was 10 feet deep when the diggers finished. From there, the violence began. The men were pulling each other off the walls and the women were pulling hair.

One man decided to perform magic and boost himself out of the hole. If he was fast enough, he would be able to boost himself out of the hole and out of the castle. "Zoom!" He chanted into the walls of the hole. The man then zoomed out of the hole at the speed of light.

Carnigan, however, cast a fireball and hit the man at the right moment, instantly killing the poor man. Only 9 contenders remained now.

"The only way we can get out of here is if we work together," Tensh said to the savage contenders. "We need to make a human ladder. I will be on the bottom, so the 8 of you can exit." Tensh was willing to sacrifice his victory, which made Artemis feel guilty.

Vera and the women were the first to leave the hole, followed by Eden. There were four remaining in the hole: Tensh, Artemis, and the two remaining men. "The only way to resolve this is rock-paper-scissors," Artemis suggested. "Are you crazy!?" One of the men replied, "Why use a random method to solve a life-depending matter?" The other man, however, gave up his position. "I will be the last one, I can always do this game again..." Tensh replied, "Dennis, are you sure?"

"Yes."

Artemis exited the hole, followed by the other man, and finally Tensh. And thus, the second Death Game ended.

"Congratulations!" Carnigan said to the eight remaining. Dennis was pulled out of the hole and escorted back to the dungeon.

Artemis knew that he had to escape the castle, but he didn't want his friends dead as a result...

Chapter 10

"The Death Games, Part 4"

"The third Death Game! You will all stand on one side of the courtyard, our guards on the other. They will throw spears at you for two minutes. You must survive that long in order to move on. Anyone who dies will be removed from the competition, of course. Once our golems finish filling the hole, we will begin!"

The eight contenders were tired and hungry. The ones remaining were Artemis, Vera, Eden, Tensh, three other women and one other man. The golems finished the hole, and the next game began.

Many spears were soaring through the air at the contenders. Each guard was heavy-built, and seemed like they had enough upper-body strength to lift up the castle and throw it halfway around the world. Artemis had no problem dodging the spears, as did Eden. Tensh was hit in the arm, but it wasn't fatal. Eden was almost hit, but he managed to survive. Two of the three women died after the first minute, and the last man survived. After the two-minute mark, 6 were still alive.

"Great job on surviving the third game! No one has ever survived this far," Carnigan started to look disappointed. He had expected a lot more carnage at this point.

"And now for the fourth Death Game: You will be placed in a maze full of poisonous gas rooms. You will all be placed in a different room of the maze. There will be six doors in each room: Four of the rooms lead to death, one leads to the next room, and one leads to the previous room. You must get through all of the rooms and reach the exit door in 10 minutes or else you will die of poisoning. Oh, and if two people end up in the same room, you both cannot go through the same door, meaning at least one of you will surely die from an encounter. These rooms will have two doors leading to a previous room. Remember, no casting antidote or else you will be killed on the spot! Take your positions!"

The six survivors were place in different rooms. A bell was rung, and the contenders moved out. Artemis used a useful tactic of knocking on the door before entering. If there was a room on the other side, he would hear an echo. If not, he would move on to the next door. Tensh used the same method, while Eden used pure instinct. Vera was very cautious when traversing the rooms.

In one room, Eden reached the room at the same time as the last remaining woman. Eden took the adjacent door while the woman took a door across the room. Eden was lucky enough to reach the next room, leaving the woman to her demise. Eden felt remorse, but moved on.

Vera reached the same room as the other man, and they each choose their respective doors. Vera reached the next room, and the man's fate was sour.

Artemis reached the same room as Tensh, which was something Artemis did not want to happen. In a deep state of thought, time soon froze, leaving Artemis and Tensh the only moving objects. Artemis was amazed.

"It seems like I can call on the powers of the staff even if I don't have it," Artemis revealed. In order to solve the problem, he found the real door and brought Tensh and himself back in time. Artemis waited a few minutes for Tensh to reach the next room, and Artemis soon followed. Carnigan noticed this, and became suspicious. Artemis was able to easily find the next room thanks to Tensh, and they quickly reached the exit. Now it was only Artemis, Tensh, Vera, and Eden in the Death Games now.

"The fourth Death Game is now complete!" Carnigan said in a monotone. He knew that Artemis was the wielder of the Time Staff, and ordered his goons to retrieve the staff.

"Artemis, is this yours?" Carnigan asked Artemis with a grin. "If you win the next game, you can have this back. But, you must be the last one standing in order to win this."

Artemis did not want it to come to this, but the fate of the world depended on that staff. Artemis knew what he had to do...

Chapter 11

"The Death Games, Part 5"

"And now, the final Death Game!" Carnigan the mage roared to the cheering crowd. "An open dual between the contestants, my finest guards, and various monsters. The last one standing, if it be a contestant, will be declared winner of the Death Game! (And the first winner ever, as well...)

When given a choice of weapons, Eden choose a pair of claws, Tensh choose a Spear, Vera was given a staff, and Artemis received a sword and shield. Magic was not allowed...

The guards and monsters were let loose. Artemis did not like fighting like this, but his enemies would not stop until he was dead. He pulled out his weapon and began to chop away at the wave of soldiers. Tensh had no problem vanquishing the enemies, Eden chopped away at the slimes, and Artemis did not break a sweat. Vera, unable to use magic, was protected by Artemis the entire time.

In about an hour's time, there were only four fighters left...

"Only one of you may walk out of here," Carnigan said to the fighters, "Unless three of you wish to surrender."

Vera, Eden, and Tensh all surrendered. They all knew Artemis was the one who had to leave and save the world.

"So be it," Carnigan boomed, "But you must attack the other three, Artemis. The Death Games do not end without bloodshed." Artemis had no choice; he slashed at his friends, watching them fall to the ground. The arena was silent. Artemis would never forgive himself for that, but it had to be done.

As his friends were brought back to the dungeon in pain, Artemis was told he was free to go. Being the last man standing, Carnigan gave the staff back. "I am a man of my word, but you are leaving here without your companions."

Before saying goodbye, Artemis told his friends he would be back to save them. "Don't worry, I'll be back soon. Once I learn more about the powers of this staff, I think It'll be powerful enough to rescue you guys."

Without further word, Artemis ventured out into the countryside alone.

Nowhere near done yet. More will come after school ends.