Sign in to follow this  
Woodus

Member Ranks

The weirdness with Indogutsu's profile has just been promoted to the next level. It's HP increases by 20 and MP increases by 5. It also learns a new spell. Fuddle.

Indo.png

Now he has earned the Slime Emperor rank but is still called a King Healer (which should have been King Cureslime...).

Is my browser broken, or is everyone else seeing that too?

Indogutsu says king healer to me too. I just checked on a forum on Dragon Quest IX. Strange. And I thought it was king cureslime. Also, I recal seeing Indogutsu's rank saying something else before that. That is I think it was different before. Anyway, does anyone have all 16 ranks and the title Slime Master?

Anyway, does anyone have all 16 ranks and the title Slime Master?

No. No one has all 16 ranks. If you do achieve all 16 ranks, you are not given the title Slime Master. That's just something someone suggested way back in this thread. Didn't happen though. Incidentally, Slime Master is the user on these forums who has the most posts (and is rank 15 --> Platinum King Jewel).

Since I saw the topic of best looking shield we could have weapon ranks instead, or character ranks, like dw1 hero, bianca, etc. could have a tournament to see who should be the highest ranked. Or boss monsters. Lots of ideas here :)

Cool. Still stay with the slime stuff though as I like them. (Maybe not the slime emperor or the grandpa slime). There should be Slionheart, Shogum, Man'O'War, Prime Slimes etc.

Edited by Chronocrystal

Ok, now that the contest is over, we have the new ranks sets (maybe Woodus can modify the first post again to reflect the update). Here they are:

Slime Slayer - 0 posts

Dungeon Dweller - 25 posts

Savvy Seafarer - 50 posts

Avid Alchemist - 100 posts

Sword Slinger - 250 posts

Head Hunter - 500 posts

Monster Masher - 750 posts

Metal Master - 1000 posts

Ace of Alefgard - 1300 posts

Rhone Ranger - 1700 posts

Bane of Baramos - 2200 posts

Slayer of Psaro - 2800 posts

Grandmaster of Gotha - 3500 posts

Nokturnus' Nightmare - 4300 posts

Shard-hearted Savior - 5200 posts

Dauntless Dragovian - 6200 posts

Celebrated Celestrian - 7300 posts

Bonus Boss Battler - 8500 posts

Heralded Hero - 10000 posts

Dragon Warrior - 12000 posts

Now it's time to talk pips. I like the idea of having a single "banner" pip for each rank. It gives more flexibility to make each rank image cool without having to miniaturize them all to fit in a tiny space.

That being said, my initial thoughts for the design were to have the title presented inside the DQ9 accolade template:

Accolades_Template.png

So for example, this might say Lv. 4 Avid Alchemist centered and in an appropriate font.

Next, my proposed images for each rank level:

Level 1 - Slime Slayer

--> Image of Slime Being Killed, or just a slime standing there, or slimes forming a slime stack or King Slime...

Level 2 - Dungeon Dweller

--> Grotto Sprite from DQ9

Level 3 - Savvy Seafarer

--> Ship Sprite? Maybe from DQV PS2 since it looks bad-ass

Level 4 - Avid Alchemist

--> Krak Pot sprite or art

Level 5 - Sword Slinger

--> Awesome Sword Sprite Ripped from character? (not crap menu icons)

Level 6 - Head Hunter

--> Not sure yet

Level 7 - Monster Masher

--> Not sure yet, but it would be cool to have an image of a hero whacking a monster with a mallet akin to how a Hammerhood uses his mallet for a critical hit...

Level 8 - Metal Master

--> Rip of landing a Thunder Thrust on Metal King Slime (would only show the Metal King slime with the atomic explosion in front of him, no background or character sprites shown here.

Level 9 - Ace of Alefgard

--> Cosplay rip or art of Alefgard hero

Level 10 - Rhone Ranger

--> Cosplay rip or art of Midenhall Hero

Level 11 - Bane of Baramos

--> Cosplay rip or art of Aliahan Hero

Level 12 - Slayer of Psaro

--> Cosplay rip or art of Zenithian Hero

Level 13 - Grandmaster of Gotha?

--> Cosplay rip or art of Gothan Hero

Level 14 - Nokturnus' Nightmare

--> Cosplay rip or art of DQ6 Hero

Level 15 - Shard-hearted Savior

--> Cosplay rip or art of DW7 Hero

Level 16 - Dauntless Dragovian

--> Cosplay rip or art of DQ8 Hero

Level 17 - Celebrated Celestrian

--> Hmmmm... Maybe the "default" DQ9 Hero as per the game box... seems kinda lame though... Maybe add Halo / wings to awesome gear or something

Level 18 - Bonus Boss Battler

--> Rip of a classic Bonus Boss, perhaps Nokturnus?

Level 19 - Heralded Hero

--> No Idea

Level 20 - Dragon Warrior

--> Not sure... maybe a DQ9 sprite wearing all Dragon Warrior gear?...

The cosplay rips would be similar (if not identical) to what you can see here for example:

DQcoplayparty.jpg

If you have any suggestions or would like to strongly veto any of the above suggestions, this is an open forum for ideas.

Edited by King Zenith

Level 3 - Savvy Seafarer

I recommend a pirate cosplay.

Level 6 - Head Hunter

--> Perhaps a dead Moai or Tiki mask. With a hero standing by it.

--> I recommend Aquila w/ Halo & Aquila's clothes. I tried to get a character to have wings via the save editor, but I was unsuccessful.

Perhaps you can get a decent rip of

the hero riding Greygnarl from the video.

Level 3 - Savvy Seafarer

I recommend a pirate cosplay.

Level 6 - Head Hunter

--> Perhaps a dead Moai or Tiki mask. With a hero standing by it.

--> I recommend Aquila w/ Halo & Aquila's clothes. I tried to get a character to have wings via the save editor, but I was unsuccessful.

Perhaps you can get a decent rip of

the hero riding Greygnarl from the video.

Great suggestions! I am going to set to work on ripping some of this today for a proof of concept on some of it. Can someone recommend a good set of Pirate Gear?

I have the full set of uncompressed frames from the video you are referring to, so if there is a good frame to be found, I will find it. For the Moai one, I could possibly get a shot of the Moai getting hammered by some cool looking skill, and edit out the background... Just need to think of what skill would be cool for that. Maybe a Bow Skill to go along with the hunting theme...

EDIT: Here are some snaps I took that could be used to rip some pips from. Naturally the background removal will make these look a lot better.

Slime Slayer?

SlimeSlayer.png

Dungeon Dweller?

Grotto_Sprite.png

Kind of weird just showing a Grotto. I also thought about using this for the Dungeon Dweller:

Dungeon_Dweller.png

Avid Alchemist:

KrakPot.png

How do you feel about the Ace of Alefgard using a Bamboo Pole?

AceofAlefgard.png

Here's our wingless Celebrated Celestrian:

Aquila.png

And we get him some wings from here:

Aquilaswings4.png

And finally, 6 options for our Dragon Warrior:

DragonWarriorFrame1.png

DragonWarriorFrame2.png

DragonWarriorFrame3.png

DragonWarriorFrame4.png

DragonWarriorFrame5.png

DragonWarriorFrame6.png

Edited by King Zenith

Looking great guys. Dump your cache and take a look at a post by me, it looks like the accolade banner will fit in the sidebar without widening that section. The banner is 208 px wide, so I just made it an even square, we can go bigger if you like as well. What do you guys think?

Something like this for Dragon Warrior?

dragon_warrior.png

Edited by Woodus

;) New Stuff's looking pretty good from this end. As for that weird rank mixup with Indo's profile... that sounds like a random error to me.

Looking great guys. Dump your cache and take a look at a post by me, it looks like the accolade banner will fit in the sidebar without widening that section. The banner is 208 px wide, so I just made it an even square, we can go bigger if you like as well. What do you guys think?

Something like this for Dragon Warrior?

dragon_warrior.png

Wow, I love your new admin image. That looks awesome. Yes, I think the accolade template will work nicely. Have you checked to see if the longest rank name will fit? I think Grandmaster of Gotha is the longest, but it might depend on whether you use a fixed width font or not.

As for the Dragon Warrior pip image, I think I might prefer this one:

DragonWarriorFrame3.png

It emphasizes the warrior, but I guess it makes it hard to tell that he is riding a dragon. Ok, scratch that.

EDIT: Ok, I think if the background was removed from this, it might look pretty cool actually:

dragon_warrior.png

EDIT2: Wow, Slime Master! Welcome back. Haven't seen you much lately. You must be busy LP'ing or enjoying "real life" nowadays.

Edited by King Zenith

Here is Slime Slayer

slime_slayer.png

Like so?

dragon_warrior2.png

Edited by Woodus

Here is Slime Slayer

slime_slayer.png

Awesome. It looks just a bit grainy due to the small size of the original image. I may try to capture it again to see if I can get it larger. I love how it came out though with the hero bashing the slime with a pole.

Like so?

dragon_warrior2.png

Yes! Awesome. Damn, your fast with that. Takes me forever to remove a background if I can't just "magic wand" it.

I am working on setting up the cosplay sprites now. I was thinking of doing the Heroes of DQ3 and DQ4 in both genders. Do you think you can have the profile choose the female variant if a user has disclosed their gender as female? Also, would that be worthwhile?

The board software doesn't do it by itself, I guess I could try to code that, not sure how much work it would be.

The board software doesn't do it by itself, I guess I could try to code that, not sure how much work it would be.

Well, I wouldn't worry about it then. Unless it's dead easy it might just make things more of a headache the next time you upgrade the forum.

I think Estark would be a fitting choice for the bonus boss battler, since he has appeared as such in multiple DQ games :P

Well, I wouldn't worry about it then. Unless it's dead easy it might just make things more of a headache the next time you upgrade the forum.

I don't think it would be too easy, the image that pulls now isn't tied to the user acct in any way for me to query the post count and gender.

And here's a sweet picture I found of Estark :D

Estark.jpg

I like the Estark idea. Here are a couple of snaps that came to mind when you mentioned Estark:

Snapper32-2.png

Snappers30-1.png

I can grab him in a variety of cool poses and stuff from the PS2 version of DQ5 if needed. Including possibly this one (with the menus removed):

DQ5rPS2_Esturk-1.png

Another example, they would all be great.

bonus_boss_battler.png

Cool! I like the pose in that one. The image I gave you was a bit grainy again so if we like that one, I might turn up the internal resolution on the emulator and recapture it.

On an unrelated note, I remember when we were discussing using the banner images for the ranks instead of a progressively expanding pip panel, that we were thinking about adding the rank level to the title or somewhere in the image. Do you think we can still do that somehow? If not, this thread will be the only way for people to know which ranks are higher or lower than the others.

Once you get to Ace of Alefguard, that isn't as much of an issue, as it goes numerical order from there. But yeah, some people might be confused at lower levels :o

I have an idea for the metal master rank, a picture of a hunter mech :P