Going to NYC

Guest Plattym3

Guest Plattym3

So, I'm sitting at the airport right now waiting the last 14 minutes until my plane boards. My wife and I are going to NYC for 10 days. Bringing the laptop, so I'll still be on infrequently for the next week. Any suggestions as to things to do. 10 days seems like a long time, but my wife has never been, so we'll do all the touristy things: Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State Building, Central Park, Coney Island, Museum of Natural History, take in a show or two...

Try and find out where the hole in the wall places are and eat there if possible. Less lines, etc.

You'll find plenty of things to do there, more than the time allotted, and the 10 days will go by quick. I'm not much of a city guy, but I liked New York. It's got everything possible in a city.

If you want any Japanese Dragon Quest books or CDs then you might want to check out Kinokuniya and Book Off. Kinokuniya will have the new things, while Book Off has old used things. While everything is in Japanese, if you ask a store clerk for help I'm sure they will help you find things.

Guest Plattym3

May check out Kinokuniya. So far just did the Empire State Building after landing yesterday and ate at a little diner for lunch and a great Thai place in Queens (where we're staying) for dinner. Got tickets to go see Wicked later this week.

Aside from all this animu suggestions, go for a nice slice pizza. I've been to New York once and I must say that no where else has as much culture and passion when it comes to making good old fashion pizza. Well.... Americanized pizza to be exact. I recommend seeing Grand Central Station and taking a little walk around Times Square.

Went there 3 or 4 years ago, didnt have a good experience on my trip even though it was a week. 3 days tour 4 days indenpendent with my family. Stupid thing was we didnt go and try any of the local resturants (parents no matter how you talk them through it they wont listen :ws-slimemad: ). Went to a panda express once and they charge you by how much the food weight, its wtf to us since we live in LA. Everything was more expensive like 15% atleast and more tax, I have no idea why. Do New Yorkers make more then the rest of the country? The tour bus was better than walking cause its so crowded in some parts. There were preachers in the streets with some people listening, the problem is that they jam the streets, they should know better. Also saw people pissing off the alley, disgusting. We tried to eat at a resturant in the italian area but it was booked. There are alot more that I cant think of right now, that trip to me was just horrible but mostly I think my parents ruined it for us. Problaly I will never take a trip there again, anyways hope you will have a good time there and have everything planned out already.

Went there 3 or 4 years ago, didnt have a good experience on my trip even though it was a week. 3 days tour 4 days indenpendent with my family. Stupid thing was we didnt go and try any of the local resturants (parents no matter how you talk them through it they wont listen :ws-slimemad: ). Went to a panda express once and they charge you by how much the food weight, its wtf to us since we live in LA. Everything was more expensive like 15% atleast and more tax, I have no idea why. Do New Yorkers make more then the rest of the country? The tour bus was better than walking cause its so crowded in some parts. There were preachers in the streets with some people listening, the problem is that they jam the streets, they should know better. Also saw people pissing off the alley, disgusting. We tried to eat at a resturant in the italian area but it was booked. There are alot more that I cant think of right now, that trip to me was just horrible but mostly I think my parents ruined it for us. Problaly I will never take a trip there again, anyways hope you will have a good time there and have everything planned out already.

I personally like NYC its pretty kool they have great hotdogs!!

Guest Plattym3

Well, went to Coney Island yesterday. It was pretty fun, but geeze, $5 - $10 for both of us to ride rides was too steep. Did 2-3 then walked around. Saw the carnival sideshow. Really funny! Got a Nathan's hot dog, but it was pretty crappy. It was also $3. Got 2 hot dogs and a soda for $2.50 a block away and loved them much more. Walked around Times Square yesterday morning and again last night for an hour or two . It's OK, but too damn crowded to do much.

Don't know what's on deck today, but tomorrow we've got passed to get into the Statue of Liberty's pedestal, so we'll be there early AM and then Ellis Island. Thanks for the suggestions Dervish.

Guest Plattym3

Well, went to Coney Island yesterday. It was pretty fun, but geeze, $5 - $10 for both of us to ride rides was too steep. Did 2-3 then walked around. Saw the carnival sideshow. Really funny! Got a Nathan's hot dog, but it was pretty crappy. It was also $3. Got 2 hot dogs and a soda for $2.50 a block away and loved them much more. Walked around Times Square yesterday morning and again last night for an hour or two . It's OK, but too damn crowded to do much.

Don't know what's on deck today, but tomorrow we've got passes to get into the Statue of Liberty's pedestal, so we'll be there early AM and then Ellis Island. Thanks for the suggestions Dervish.

Don't know what's on deck today, but tomorrow we've got passes to get into the Statue of Liberty's pedestal, so we'll be there early AM and then Ellis Island. Thanks for the suggestions Dervish.

dont forget to go to the central park zoo!! its pretty kool there not awesome just ok :wd_coolslime:

I guess "Sumimasen, Dragon Quest no hon wa doko desu ka?" (Excuse me, where are the books about Dragon Quest?) would work.

Huh? Why does he need to ask in Japanese? The reason he would be asking where the Dragon Quest books and CD's are is because he doesn't know Japanese. The people at Kinokuniya in NY speak English just fine.

Guest Plattym3

Well, went to the Kinokuniya near Bryant Park yesterday. What a fun store! I didn't see any DQ stuff (only Bleach, FFVII, FFVIII, FFXII, FFXI, KH, & Pokemon). I didn't ask about any DQ books, but we're going over near there again. My wife spent a ton of time down on the bottom floor looking at the stationary products. She had a blast. Spent most of Sunday at Central Park.

Went to Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island all day long today. Very tired. Spent like 3-4 hours at each place.

Guest Plattym3

Yesterday I went to Book Off. Didn't get any DQ stuff, but got a nice Battlestar Galactica book for $1. My wife got a couple of used books too. So far, she's enjoyed both book stores more than most things we've done. Going to see Wicked tonight!

WOOT! This is my 7000th post. I think I only have 3000 more to go before I get my next level. I need to kill me some metal enemies.

• 2 weeks later...
;) Glad you enjoyed your trip to NYC, speaking of which you didn't see any graffity which said "Teh Plob is teh suck" did you :laugh:
  • 6 years later...

Wow, found my old thread from the last time I was in New York. New wife, new things have been done. I vaguely remembered Kinokuniya from last time and my wife and I stopped there today on the way to meeting up with DQ fans at Nintendo World. Again, didn't see any DQ stuff (actually forgot to ask) but my wife was excited and bought a bunch of little things for us and others. First place in days she's bought some souvenirs. We don't really collect anything, so not a lot of souvenir shopping for us. I don't recall Book Off at all. I think I'll have to look it up for tomorrow. Apparently I liked it last time.

What are you talking about? This isn't your thread, this is one by some guy named Guest_Plattym3_*. I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

What are you talking about? This isn't your thread, this is one by some guy named Guest_Plattym3_*. I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

Zapped and Kazinged too many times.

I'm curios: why is there a guest in from of your name Platty? Were guests able to post/comment on threads and start a new thread? Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I bought a strategy guide for the DQI-II-III 25th anniversary Wii rerelease of the SFC rereleases, at Kinokuniya in 2011, so they did have DQ stuff at some point.

I've never been to Book Off in the US, but I bought some Dai no Daibouken and Emblem of Roto manga at that store in Japan, 10 years ago.  The manga seemed pretty dated at the time, but they had a lot of old stuff there.  Maybe they still have some DQ merch in the US stores.

Here are the pics from Tag Mode Tuesday, featuring Special Guest, plattym3:

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30901&page=2&do=findComment&comment=424731

Damn. At book off now. Japanese 3DS $120.

Slime Mori Mori 3 - $35

I think if they had DQVII for 3DS, I might do it.

Tons of Japanese DS DQ games. You V, VI, IX, Joker 1 & 2. Ultimate Hits versions.

V-JUMP guides to Joker 2 and DQX. Ahhh!

Not to mention DQIV for PS. DQVII for PS.

Ugh, I'm so tempted.

Edited by Plattym3

I'm curios: why is there a guest in from of your name Platty? Were guests able to post/comment on threads and start a new thread?
I disappeared for ~2.5 years. When I came back, my account was deleted beyond recovery. Woodus couldn't even Kazing me. So, he pulled stats from the topic about where I disappeared to and used them to created a new account for me. He didn't even know what had happened.