What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

I started by playing the original on the NES. I was REALLY young getting into it. I'm 19, born in 91, and I first played the original at 4 years old, maybe even 3, I don't remember. I also played a bunch of 2, couldn't get very far on my own but I played a bunch of the other files on the cart, done by my siblings.

I vaguely even remember getting through the Cave to Rhone on my own with one of those files. And I was 4-5 years old! :D

Beyond that I only have fleeting memories of DW3, but I remember being fascinated with the day/night system.

And then eventually I just stopped playing. I think something happened to the NES at that point. I didn't realize the series was still going until I saw a mini-walkthrough for DW7 in a magazine. And then it disappeared again until 8 came out.

I only just got back into the series though. Played through and finished 1 and 3 on the SNES, I'm almost done 2, and partway through 5 (SNES, since I haven't been able to get a hold of the elusive DS version.) And just yesterday, picked up 9, and thoroughly loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,my first Dragon Warrior game that I played is the original NES first episode but I only played it on an emulator because I never had it on cartridge and since I'm European,this game never came to Europe at that time(only in Japan and North America if I remember right).

When I was younger,only a few NES games I had (such as Zelda II:The Adventure Of Link).

• 2 weeks later...

My first DW/DQ game was also Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES, I still own my NES and the DW1 cart lol :P I also have it on a NES emulator, and for my Gameboy SP in DW1&2 remake. I still to this day believe that this title is an mazing example of a RPG made right and use it often as a jumping off point for coming up with new RPG ideas. I at one point was trying to make a DW1 remake remake using RPGMaker lol.

My first game of the seriesthe series was the original Dragon Quest Monsters. It was the first DQ game that made it to europe, though :/ I was about 12 than. From the first time playing I absolutely felt in love with that game and spent over 200hours at my ever first savegame. After that there was a long break for me since DQM2 never made it to Europe,too and I had no PS2 so I couldn't play DQVIII. My next game than was DQM Joker wich I was looking forward to a long time but than when I had it I was pretty dusapointed cause imo the original DQM is muu~ch better. The next and actually last episodes I've beaten are the DS Remakes of IV and V. I now own a PS2 including DQ8 but I haven't finished it yet.

My next game than was DQM Joker wich I was looking forward to a long time but than when I had it I was pretty dusapointed cause imo the original DQM is muu~ch better.

I am having a hard time getting into DQMJ because I loved the way DWM1 and 2 played much better

• 2 weeks later...

Another dug up thread.

I discovered Dragon Warrior in the Nov/Dec '89 issue of Nintendo Power. The issue included a full removable guide to the game with descriptions of the various weapons, items, and monsters (this was a good two years before they gave away a free copy with a new subscription). Soon after the new year, I used my xmas money to buy the game. I was immediately hooked.

After completing DWI I learned that DWII was coming out soon, but I could not find a copy anywhere. I still remember having my parents call up one of the sellers that listed games in the back of game magazines (this is pre-internet time), only to be told that they were sold out. The game listed for $70 (a lot of dough for a 10 year old). It was another year before I was able to find the game in an actual store.

Shortly thereafter DWIII was released, but again, impossible to find. I eventually lucked out and found a used copy, which I spent a good deal of my summer vacation devouring.

It would be another year and half (late 1992) before DWIV would come out. By this time I had moved on to the SNES, but decided to dig out the NES for one last adventure. I think to this day, DWIV is the only one of the series that I bought immediately after it's release.

As we all know the series ended in the US for nearly a decade. I went to high school and college and I nearly forgot all about the series. Shortly in to my new job and adult life and decided to see what happened to the games and discovered that DWVII had been released for the PSX. I convinced my girlfriend (now wife) that even though I was mostly broke and struggling with student loans that we needed to buy a PS2. Success! I then ordered a used copy off of Amazon, while at the same time trying to figure out what happened to V and VI. For the last 7 years I've been enjoying a new DW/DQ game at the rate of one every year and half or so. There's little to complain about.

By the way, I still have my NES and original copies of I-IV with boxes and manuals (as well as the more recent titles). Similarly, somewhere I have a copy of a newsletter from the Dragon Warrior fan club circa 1990, before it went defunct. I'll have to dig that up and post a scan on here.

Edited by dragon_sudz

Yeah, I think I really lucked out with finding the copies of DW1-4 on the NES. My folks got them for me for birthday presents as they were each released. I don't remember hounding them or telling them I was crazy about these games. I guess they just noticed that I played them a lot.

Similarly, somewhere I have a copy of a newsletter from the Dragon Warrior fan club circa 1990, before it went defunct. I'll have to dig that up and post a scan on here.

Please do! I would love to see that scan.

First game i played was a spin-off, Dragon Warrior Monsters. My lil brother was playing around with my GameBoy Color and hit that game randomly (my Cartridge was an 82-in-1 game). Since then i was hooked. I remembered telling him that DWM was way better than Pokemon (though i play pokemon too). That was back in 2000(?), i was only 8-9 years old then. My friend, meanwhile, gave me the DWM2: Coby as a gift on my birthday. This was my pre-internet days.

When i hooked up with the net, i learned about the original DW games (1-6) and that they were the inspirations for DWM series. From then on i started with DW1 and... today i have beaten 1-6, going to play 7-9 soon. I played DW 1-3 on the Gameboy while 4-6 i used emulators. Thank God for emulators, they come in handy when you need them! hahaha!

I feel so strange to be among so many people who started with the first one. I did not start playing until a couple years ago when I got the remake of number four on the DS. I then imeidietly fell in love with the slime and since then I have played dragon warrior three on the GBA color, and dragon quest nine. I may be kind of a noob to the sieries but I am hoping to pick up a copy of five for the DS, and I am also hoping of playing six when they bring it to America next year because that is the rumor. I also will eventualy play seven since I have a PS1 but I hear that seven is fricken huge and is a $#!&@ to beat. Sounds like my type of game... :evillaugh:

I feel so strange to be among so many people who started with the first one. I did not start playing until a couple years ago when I got the remake of number four on the DS. I then imeidietly fell in love with the slime and since then I have played dragon warrior three on the GBA color, and dragon quest nine. I may be kind of a noob to the sieries but I am hoping to pick up a copy of five for the DS, and I am also hoping of playing six when they bring it to America next year because that is the rumor. I also will eventualy play seven since I have a PS1 but I hear that seven is fricken huge and is a $#!&@ to beat. Sounds like my type of game... :evillaugh:

Hey that's not a bad DQ Resume. I think there are probably several people here who have only played DQ9. You should definitely get around to the rest of them though.

And if you like Ninja Slimes, you should check out the DS Game Rocket Slime!

slakage_th.pngslamal_th.pngtommy_th.png

• 2 weeks later...

My first game was Dragon Quest VI on Nintendo Famicom back in 1996.

It was japanese and i only got until im about to recruit Barbara before calling it quits. I also bought DQVI walkthrough guidebook and it was in Chinese language.

I can only play when my friend is translating the guide for me.

Sadly, I moved out of the country and still have my saved point stuck at the tower trying to get barbara.

Played it a couple of times and i just have no clue what to do next.Or just go so lost in translation..there was no internet then..

Moved to PS1 to PS2 to PS3 phases. (played DWVII and DWVIII)

Now, more than a decade have passed, im FINALLY playing it again on my PSP.

And im on my way to recruit Barbara..again..in ENGLISH!

Well the first DQ game I playedwas DQ6. During that time I discovered emulation. I realized how many awesome SNES RPGS I missed and decided to give the DQ series a try, so I picked the latest SNES installment (that wasn't a remake).

The first game I boughtthough, was DQ8. Man that was awesome. Had a long summer break that year, played it almost all night long.

And for basically introducing me to DQ these two have been my favorite titles ever since.

I subscribed to the magazine Shonen Jump and one issue included a demo version of DQ 8. I put it in and played it and really enjoyed it. I got it for Christmas the year it came out. However, I didn't really get into it until I got DQMJ. I was addicted to it. I guess you could say it was luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I mentioned recently on the introduction section ( http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17725 ) Dragon Quest IX was the first one of the series I played and finished (at least the main story) and was rensonsible for caughting the DQ bug. Now I'm playing DQIV and next will be DQV (how obvious, huh?). From the spinoffs I'm interested for DragonQuest Rocket Slime which not only looks awesome but has positive reviews as well. It would be awesome if the first three DQ games mobile versions would be released in english but since that won't ever happen I'll play them on Gameboy Color.

It was Dragon Quest Monsters on GBC

The first of the main Series was Dragon Quest VI

It was Dragon Quest Monsters on GBC

The first of the main Series was Dragon Quest VI

Wow, that's a bit of a rare main series game to start with. I am guessing it's because you found out it has ties to DQM1? Either way, that's awesome. And welcome to the site by the way.

My first was Dragon Warrior VII. Oh how I played that game! That and Morrowind made me flunk college :P When I was done with DWVII I had put in more than 130 hours and I hadn't even done the secret dungeon yet. Still haven't actually. But I loved the game so much and wanted more and I think the fan translations of DQV came out at around that time. I went with the byuu translation and was hooked.... again!

Over the years I've since played the GBC DWs and most recently DQIV DS and DQIX. Loved them and I guess I'm a DQ fan for life.

Can't wait for the madness to start on Wii.

I was really young and a friend from school let me borrow a stack of NES games. Dragon Warrior 4 was in that stack. And I only got to borrow the stack for a day after school. So I only got to play it for maybe two hours. But I had no idea what I was doing.

Then I played Dragon Warrior 7 for PS1. I was in college and working two jobs and did not have time to enjoy it.

Dragonquest VIII was the first Dragon Quest I bought on the first day. Actually I drove an hour and a half to pick it up on the release date and their shipment had not come in. So the very next day I called and drove the same hour and a half and got my copy.

I was instantly hooked on it and played every day and night, did every sidequest, obtained all items, maxed all skills. It was great fun and it hooked me on the rest of the series and made me want to grab every entry.

So after VIII I grabbed IV, V, Swords, III, Monsters Joker, Rocket Slime, IX, and then I and II.

:overjoyed2:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i began my time as dragon warrior days at 2007 ( i even begin video games since 2002)

my first game was dragon warrior 1 and 2 on gbc after that i begin to play on DW3 on gbc. but because frightened by the horrors of tedanki, i decide to stop there. Then i got DQ4DS and beaten it in months 9 idon't really have much playing that game at moment. After that, i got DW1 monsters and totally beaten it. And directly plays the DW2 monsters. Then at 2009, I got a DQV ds in real cartridge (all of the previous are emulator.) I also beaten DW3 after build up courage on last year too.Then i bought DQ8. I beat the game during my one month holiday. then i got Dragon quest ix and beaten it already. still building characters thought. so in general my dq/dw games are:

DW 1 and 2 GBC -->DW3 GBC-->DQ4DS-->DW1 MONSTERS-->DW2 MONSTERS-->DW MONSTERS:JOKER (i forgot write that one)-->DQVDS-->DQ8-->DQIX. Now that i am waiting for DQVI DS. Should i play the snes version or not? And i ought to play dq vii on PSP i guess.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to this question. My dad became addicted to Dragon Warrior when it first came out in America, a year before I was born. I was born in 1990, and apparently my dad only rented Dragon Warriors 2 and 3, and bought Dragon Warriors 1 and 4. I had vague memories of 2 and 3 until a few years ago when I played them on an emulator, but I still own, and protect, my copies of 1 and 4. I think the first one I actually played was 4, but I am pretty sure I saw the completion of each game during my dad's babysitting time before I ever actually held the controller and played it myself around my third birthday.

you're dad was addicted to dragon quest? lucky you!!

Honestly, I don't know the answer to this question. My dad became addicted to Dragon Warrior when it first came out in America, a year before I was born. I was born in 1990, and apparently my dad only rented Dragon Warriors 2 and 3, and bought Dragon Warriors 1 and 4. I had vague memories of 2 and 3 until a few years ago when I played them on an emulator, but I still own, and protect, my copies of 1 and 4. I think the first one I actually played was 4, but I am pretty sure I saw the completion of each game during my dad's babysitting time before I ever actually held the controller and played it myself around my third birthday.

you're dad was addicted to dragon quest? lucky you!!