What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

Although I had actually played most of them fairly early, I only ever finished Dragon Warrior when I was young. My older brother got that through the Nintendo Power deal, and he and my dad were hooked on it. I would play too, but I wasn't very good at it at first. Eventually, though, I made my way to the Dragon Lord and struck him down. I didn't even know there were any more games in the series until years later when my dad was playing DWII on his computer.

I played to some degree II-VI, though not playing any of them very far into the game. Eventually, however, I beat them in this order, all on the actual carts except II, III, and IV:

DW I NES

DW Monsters GBC

DW II NES

DW III NES

DW IV NES

DQ V SFC

... and I'm currently playing DW VII PS.

There are still plenty to finish, and I actually own almost the other games in the series I want to play now, all Japanese versions except those marked English:

Dragon Quest Famicom

Dragon Quest II Famicom

Dragon Quest III Famicom

Dragon Quest IV Famicom

Dragon Quest V Super Famicom

Dragon Quest VI Super Famicom

Dragon Warrior VII PS (English)

Dragon Quest VIII PS2

Dragon Quest IX DS

Dragon Quest III GBC (English)

Dragon Quest III Super Famicom

Dragon Quest IV PS

Dragon Quest V PS2

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker DS (English)

Torneko no Daibouken Super Famicom

...And I'm still keeping an eye out for:

Dragon Quest I.II GBC (Japanese or English)

Dragon Quest I.II Super Famicom

Dragon Quest Monsters II GBC (Either version; probably in English since I played the other Monsters games in English)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart GBC (maybe...)

Edited by Safis
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

Like several of you, I started out at the beginning. My brother and I acquired a copy of Dragon Warrior I through the Nintendo Power promotion back in the day. We played that game for hours upon hours. After that, we never actually owned a copy of DW2 but luckily the local rental place had a copy. I'm sure we spent enough money renting it that our parents could have bought it twice over :ga_rolleyes: . My brother later bought a copy of DW3 and we would literally fight over who got to play it more. Fortunately I usually got more time with it as my brother is older and was working at the time :evillaugh: .

Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to purchase IV due to a mixture of our rural local and the rarity of the game itself. As such, I've never played the NES version of IV past the 2nd chapter. I would spend the next few years drooling over the articles on V and VI in Nintendo Power, but the infamous lack on localization led me to slowly forget about the series. I spent those years trying desperately trying to beat III, but I got stuck on Baramos every single time. I still remember walking into what was the equivalent of GameStop one day and spazzing over Dragon Warrior Monsters. I didn't know a single thing about this mystery game and was pleasantly surprised to see the series being revived here in the States. I bought the game ASAP and fell in love with it. While I never got a "DarkDrium", I did get pretty serious about it.

I was completely thrilled to hear of DWI&II being released. I loved the remake(s) and was finally able to beat DW2, however my brother didn't care for them as he hates handhelds and he hated the decreased difficulty. Due to graduating high school and moving to college I missed out on DWM2 sadly. I did manage to pick up DWVII on release day however, and was ecstatic to finally see a new entry in the main series. This was pretty much the case with Dragon Quest 8 as well.

I've made it a point to buy every Dragon Quest game released stateside since then. Oh! I was also lucky enough to pick up a copy of Torneko for my PSX back in the day as well. I goofed and recently bought a Japanese copy of DQIX not knowing the release date for the English version was so soon but hopefully I can use this opportunity to see if I want to dabble with importing some of the japan-only games.

So to recap, I currently own:

2. Dragon Warrior I (NES)
  3. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
  4. Dragon Quest IV (NDS)
  5. Dragon Quest V (NDS)
  6. Dragon Warrior VII (PSX)
  7. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
  8. Dragon Quest IX (NDS) (Japanese - being shipped to me, I've reserved the English version)
  9. Dragon Warrior Monsters (GBC)
  10. Dragon Warrior Tara's Journey (GBC) (I managed to pick this up a few years ago at a Kay Bee Toys before it went out of business. Brand new and sealed too!)
  11. Dragon Warrior I&II (GBC)
  12. Dragon Warrior III (GBC)
  13. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (NDS)
  14. Torneko: The Last Hope (PSX)

I did own Rocket Slime at one point, but I sold it because I never played it again after the my first playthrough. Eventually I also acquired a copy of Dragon Warrior II at one point, but I believe my brother lost it in the mess he calls a house.

Edited by LordBaramos

Like several of you, I started out at the beginning. My brother and I acquired a copy of Dragon Warrior I through the Nintendo Power promotion back in the day. We played that game for hours upon hours. After that, we never actually owned a copy of DW2 but luckily the local rental place had a copy. I'm sure we spent enough money renting it that our parents could have bought it twice over :ga_rolleyes: . My brother later bought a copy of DW3 and we would literally fight over who got to play it more. Fortunately I usually got more time with it as my brother is older and was working at the time :evillaugh: .

Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to purchase IV due to a mixture of our rural local and the rarity of the game itself. As such, I've never played the NES version of IV past the 2nd chapter. I would spend the next few years drooling over the articles on V and VI in Nintendo Power, but the infamous lack on localization led me to slowly forget about the series. I spent those years trying desperately trying to beat III, but I got stuck on Baramos every single time. I still remember walking into what was the equivalent of GameStop one day and spazzing over Dragon Warrior Monsters. I didn't know a single thing about this mystery game and was pleasantly surprised to see the series being revived here in the States. I bought the game ASAP and fell in love with it. While I never got a "DarkDrium", I did get pretty serious about it.

I was completely thrilled to hear of DWI&II being released. I loved the remake(s) and was finally able to beat DW2, however my brother didn't care for them as he hates handhelds and he hated the decreased difficulty. Due to graduating high school and moving to college I missed out on DWM2 sadly. I did manage to pick up DWVII on release day however, and was ecstatic to finally see a new entry in the main series. This was pretty much the case with Dragon Quest 8 as well.

I've made it a point to buy every Dragon Quest game released stateside since then. Oh! I was also lucky enough to pick up a copy of Torneko for my PSX back in the day as well. I goofed and recently bought a Japanese copy of DQIX not knowing the release date for the English version was so soon but hopefully I can use this opportunity to see if I want to dabble with importing some of the japan-only games.

So to recap, I currently own:

1. Dragon Warrior I (NES)
  2. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
  3. Dragon Quest IV (NDS)
  4. Dragon Quest V (NDS)
  5. Dragon Warrior VII (PSX)
  6. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
  7. Dragon Quest IX (NDS) (Japanese - being shipped to me, I've reserved the English version)
  8. Dragon Warrior Monsters (GBC)
  9. Dragon Warrior Tara's Journey (GBC) (I managed to pick this up a few years ago at a Kay Bee Toys before it went out of business. Brand new and sealed too!)
  10. Dragon Warrior I&II (GBC)
  11. Dragon Warrior III (GBC)
  12. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (NDS)
  13. Torneko: The Last Hope (PSX)

I did own Rocket Slime at one point, but I sold it because I never played it again after the my first playthrough. Eventually I also acquired a copy of Dragon Warrior II at one point, but I believe my brother lost it in the mess he calls a house.

Cool. This was a good read. I need closure on this anecdote though! Have you beaten Dragon Warrior 3 yet?

I've finished the GBC version and the recently translated SNES version, but I still haven't went back and finished DWII & III in their original glory :unhappy:

Until here recently I was either in college or working 60+hours a week and just didn't have the time. Maybe I'll start a new playthrough while I wait for my copy of IX to get here.

Chritmas 1989- the one gift I wanted more than any other- Dragon Warrior. I was addicted to the Nintendo Power insert book. Man, was I happy getting that game.

• 3 weeks later...

My first was Dragon Warrior Monster, then Monster 2. Loved both of them.

Then I played III and then VII. Best childhood ever.

My first was Dragon Warrior Monster, then Monster 2. Loved both of them.

Then I played III and then VII. Best childhood ever.

Nice. Glad to see you like both the monsters and main series. Welcome to the Den by the way. It's cool that the name Slime Knight has remained available all this time!

Pretty much played them in the order we got them in.

1,2,3,4,7,8. Went back to 5 and 6 on emulation afterwards.

And of course, I'm playing 9 now.

My first experience with the Dragon Quest series was with Dragon Warrior 1+2 for the Gameboy. My mom's boyfriend at the time offered for me to play it. After looking at the cover I was enthralled to see it was in the same style as Dragon Ball! Since I was about 6 or 7 at the time I was hooked on the Dragon Ball series. I only played the game once while I lived with him, I found it to be INCREDIBLY boring.

A couple years later I got into the game Paper Mario and learned what a RPG game was. The years to come were dedicated to Pokemon for the most part...sadly.

This last Christmas I decided to begin collecting old systems and games. My first purchase was the Genesis, then Saturn, then NES and SNES. I bought Dragon Warrior because it was cheap. Before it arrived I bought DQ VIII to check that game out. I found Dragon Warrior to be difficult and haven't returned to it until a couple weeks ago and I found VIII to be a GREAT rpg...but I was just ignorant. I soon bought DQ IV and V for the DS and truly understood the series at that point. My purchase afterwards was Dragon Warrior VII, the greatest RPG I've ever played...It is in fact the only Dragon Quest game I've beaten yet. I've come close to beating DQ IV but Psaro is a BEAST.

And just last Sunday I bought Dragon Quest IX, which I like but I don't feel it compares to Dragon Warrior VII...rather it's just a portable version of Dragon Quest VIII and III mixed together! Speaking of which I still haven't tried: Dragon Warrior II and III or Dragon Quest VI. I dipped my feet in DWM but I'd rather not play it on an emulator.

...And I can't believe I made a typo in Orgodemir's name for my Username! :cry:

The First one I ever played was Dragon Warrior 1 .. I waited till the day it game out to buy it and I have been playing the series ever since its one of my traditions for video games to finish everyone of them .. and still with dragon quest ix on the DS i'm makin my way up ... thank god for emulation... they release it on a different system every time you sort of have to be resourceful to play something as addictive as this :)

My first game in the series was the old NES Dragon Warrior. I know it was just one-on-one battles and was pretty confusing to my younger self, but it was enough to get me interested in renting the other three NES Dragon Warrior games. The lack of new (localized) entries in the SNES era was disappointing, but when Eidos published Dragon Warrior Monsters over on Game Boy Color I dived back into the series again.

I admit there's some games I've played that I haven't finished (VII and VIII in particular), but whether it's Warrior or Quest, I adore the series.

I was born in 91 so im only 19. my first dragon quest game was 8 =P but after that i made it my goal to play the rest so that i wasnt a big n00b. So far ive beaten XI, V, VIII, and im currently playing the first one (its got...a $#!& load of grinding >.<) so yeah surely i will have beaten them all soon. The first one is fun and isnt to hard i just think there is to much grinding.

Edited by Yutaka

My personal first was Dragon Quest 3, rather Warrior 3. It's the first I remember anyway, played it all the way through with my old GBA SP.

Actually, I must retract that.

I played DQ1 on the NES first.

Edited by RyuKisargi

Dragon Warrior I&II on the GBC. Sadly I missed out on the NES/SNES games. (guess that's why I prefer Loto/Roto over Erdrick) I knew about the series and the moment I found out about the GBC remakes I jumped on them and it turned out to be even better then I had hoped. When DQIII was released for the GBC I found my fave one and Ive been a die hard fan ever since. :overjoyed2:

My first experience, like many children of the 80s, was when I received Dragon Warrior with my Nintendo Power subscription. I didn't have my own TV in my room at the time, so I had to share the living room TV, limiting my playtime. Then one weekend I packed up my NES and Dragon Warrior and went to my grandparent's house. I spent the entire weekend sitting in the enclosed back porch, NES hooked up to an extra old console TV they had, playing Dragon Warrior. I don't even think I slept Friday night.

My first Dragon Quest game was the original Dragon Warrior

for the NES which, famously, came as a free gift with a Nintendo Power

subscription.

Little did I know then that 20-some odd years later Dragon Quest

would be my favorite RPG series and that I'd once again be subscribing

to Nintendo Power (just picked up a 2-year sub at $19.99 a couple of days

ago). Talk about coming full circle.

So, my thanks to all the principle Dragon Quest creators, and everyone

that has worked so hard behind the scenes to make these great games, and

bring them to us. It's been a fantastic journey so far and from the looks

of it the future of the franchise looks awful bright! What a time to be

a DQ fan eh? :D

Edited by Texcap
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I first played DQ with the Dragon Warrior I+II collection on the GameBoy. I preferred I to II, but enjoyed them both. I remember being crazy excited for the (re)release of III the next year. I was looking forward to that game as if it were brand new and it didn't disappoint. I loved everything about that game; it firmly cemented the series as one of my favorites.

After that I was, of course, looking forward to IV on the PSX. I was as equally disappointed in its lack of release as I was excited for III. I tried, for a short time, to find the original NES cart, but wasn't willing to pay the amount of money requested the one time I did find one. I also tried a ROM of the original, but, having gotten used to the GBC graphics and localization, couldn't get over the more dated graphics and (more importantly) Ye Olde Englishe.

At some point I did purchase a copy of VII. I was not/am not a fan of the "puzzle pieces" progression style and didn't beat it. I tried again years later, but eventually just got tired of it. Clearly not my favorite. Afterwards I became familiar with Final Fantasy and other RPG series. The lack of DQ releases caused the series to fade in my mind.

VIII came out, however, and I instantly got into it. It had everything I had enjoyed from the original trilogy only now upgraded to PS2 quality graphics. It was absolutely fantastic. I didn't mind calling it by its original name, either.

Time passed once again between releases. I had long since lost my copies of I-III, I didn't like VII, and VIII's great, but I also like to play newly released games once in a while. DQ again became a series of yesteryear. Imagine my shock, suprise, and joy when I learned that finally I would have a chance to play DQIV. I had read all about it, but I would at last be able to experience the chapter driven story.

I bought IV for the DS and enjoyed the heck out of it. It was definitely worth the wait. Of course V came out soon after and that was even better! It wasn't too long of a wait after that for IX either. This recent uptick in releases has definitely brought the series back to the forefront of my mind and brought me back to what I liked so much about it in the first place.

Of course, I still have VI to look forward to. I know some people think it'll end up with the same fate as IV's PSX release, but I'm still hopeful. Maybe I'll even give VII another shot.