What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

The first one I played was DWI. I was in 5th grade, and it was 1989 or 90.

We used to be allowed to play Nintendo during our lunch at school. I remember the first time I saw it, I wondered what it was, since it was unlike any of the video games I'd ever seen before. Up until then it was always like "Wow, look at the SWEET graphics on Double Dragon!" (That's pretty funny looking back!). In any event, I fell in love with it right away. Despite it's not-cutting-edge graphics, it was a game I could imagine about, and for me, that made it better than all the rest.

I never actually owned a copy until maybe another year. I got it in the Nintendo Power giveaway. By then I had mostly finished it renting it. I remember the first time I rented it. I was sleeping over at my buddy David's house. We named our character "FART," and then laughed like crazy every time the name came up... Gwaelin: Will thou take my love, FART?

The other thing that sticks with me to this day is that since we often played the game at lunch, we always had the radio on, and the station we would listen to (99.5 the Fox in Detroit), would play the same songs every day. "Janie's Got a Gun" by Aerosmith always seems to play when someone was in Garin's Grave. So to this day, whenever I hear Janies got a gun, I can close my eyes and picture Drollmagi and Druinlords, and desperately trying to find my way back to the entrance after Radiant wore off, with no remaining MP.

I love that game.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

the first dragon warrior i ever played was Dragon Warrior 4 and the thing that was most memorable about it was the ability to switch between characters and also was my first RPG, so it got me into these types of games as well.

My first Dragon Warrior/Quest was a remake of Dragon Warrior III for the Gameboy Color. I never got very far, though. >.< I need to play the ROM for the NES version when I get a moment.

My first DW game was DWM1. The funny thing was, my parents didn't mean to give it to me. It was for my brother, but I ended up with it. I loved it from the start and it evolved to getting DWM2 Cobi's Journey. In the middle of everything I did rent DW 1&2 for the GBC, but I only had it for a week. Later, I found out that there was more to DQ other than the monsters games. I love the monster series so much, last summer I saw a used DWM2 Cobi's Journey and I bought it because of how hard it was to find. Now I have 2 XD. Now I can breed with my self (As wrong as that sounds :tounge: ). Anyway, because one of my friends introduced me to this site, I plan on starting to play the normal DQ games as soon as I get the money!

The first game I played was Dragon Warrior I. My dad probably got it cheap at some store, as that's how I got most of my NES games. But I just remember playing it when I was very young and not understanding what to do or where to go. I eventually understood that I needed to increase my 'levels' (amazing that I figured that out) and that going over a bridge would lead to stronger monsters, but that didn't lead to a correlation with needing to increase my equipment. This was all at a time when I was more interested in just playing Zelda, Castlevania or Duck Hunt.

Sometime later in my adolescent life I picked the game up and tired it again, figuring out everything I needed to do. However, I just found it to be too tough, as my game didn't come with those maps and 'Warriors Guide' like most did for some reason. I admit...I started to build up a disgust for the series and RPGs on a whole due to this one game.

Years passed.

I had gotten into countless RPG series by then. Suikoden, Final Fantasy, Chrono, Seiken Densetu, Mario RPG/Paper Mario, etc. The RPG genre was probably my favorite by now along with Metroid/Castlevania. Then out came a little game with barely any notice to many and got a pass by gamers and reviewers alike. Yet beyond all my logic and greater impulses, I went out and bought it. I had to give this series another try...and...it ended up being not only one of the best RPGs I ever played, but one of the best games period. I guess that's just how much I was missing in a Dragon Quest game.

Oh, and that game was Dragon Quest VIII.

So...rather long explanation of where my 'first game' came from. But you may see how my start in the series had been about 10-12 years ongoing. And the series went from being something I totally detested...to being one of my three absolute favorite game series ever.

(Once upon a time...)

Ah, for me it was Dragon Warrior 1 NES... back when I was a young and impressionable gold farmer, before the term was coined (pardon the pun).

Still have the old carts for 1,3, and 4, and I've fond memories of each, though for different reasons; with DW1 I watched (and "helped") my mom play the game as I learned to read, I played the 3rd on my own, and number 4 was a gift from an uncle after he finished the game himself. But ultimately, DW1 was my first step into the DW/DQ series.

(The End)

VI back when I got my first PC and I started playing games that never came over here.

I also played Seiken Densetsu 3 for the first time that day.

Needless to say that was an awesome day.

• 3 weeks later...

The first Dragon Quest was DW1 back on the NES. I remember it was the early 90s (I was around 7 or 8) and I was at my cousin's house. We were sitting around bored and he asked if I wanted to play a NES game that he loved. I agreed and he popped in DW1. I was used to playing Mario and Kirby and had never seen anything like it. I was incredibly confused but he explained it and after playing for a little while I fell in love. We must have played for hours that day. Every time I came over we played that game, eventually beating it and moving onto 2 and 3. I remember always asking for those games but I never got them. I remember my cousin always told me that if I told DragonLord yes at the end of the game that I got to play through a whole new game where I got to play as either DragonLord or the hero and got to kill people :laugh:. I never worked up the nerve to though lol. Then he sold his NES and games to his friend so he could buy a SNES. I was so angry.

Many years later, I found a copy of DW1+2 for GBC and remembering all the fun I had playing it with my cousin I bought it. Needless to say, the addiction burned anew and I never really got over it lol.

• 1 month later...

My first DQ game is DQIV for the DS. Rebel suggested it for my Christmas wish list (from last year...yeah) and I was like "oh what the heck, it'll probably be awesome!" and what do ya know, I became a DQ fan since then! However, I still need to finish that bonus chapter but I've been busy with DQV. :P

And I plan on to play at least most of the series!

First one I ever played was the original DW for NES. I loved that game, and still do. I still remember how annoying it was as a kid, grinding for a Magic Sword.

• 1 month later...

First Dragon Quest/Warrior game I played?

probibly Dragon Warrior 3, I remember renting it and playing it alot... I did enjoy it... hehe still have the book that came with the rental game...

First Dragon Warrior game I owned? not sure... I got all four Dragon Warrior games available on the Nes, they still work pretty well, have a Nes in almost ment conditon and another that works (kinda used)

I haven't hooked my Nes up in a long time...

I might eventually go back to it and continue my 7 character game (yes using almost all the classes) Including two Goof-Offs (Jesters) They are both level 40~ with about 202 luck each...

• 3 weeks later...

Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime was the first true dragon quest game I played. After falling in love with it I was on the hunt for Dragon Quest VIII after listening to some of the music on some websites :P

Once I got that I completed the game and went onto playing Dragon Quest I on the SNES with the fan translation. When I finished that Dragon Quest IV finally came out to the DS, so played that, then Dragon Quest V. Then I got into Dragon Quest(Warrior) VII. Still going through Dragon Quest II, III and VI :D

• 2 weeks later...

The first one I ever played was Dragon Warrior I on NES.

I had a hernia repaired the summer before my freshman year of high school and went to gamestop for a couple cheap games cuz my parents let me put the NES in my room (not the SNES or the 64 though :) ) I grabbed DWI cuz it sounded like an RPG and I had fallen in love with the genre from playing Lufia II.

I was blown away by the games depth, the huge map, and the music, gameply, everything really, especially being into the N64 era and this was only an NES game! i played straight through it the whole week i was stuck in bed. loved every minute and the rest is history. the best moment i think was the first time i met the golem. or maybe the ghost town when i actually felt emotion for all the lives lost in the NES burg. great game.

The First Game I have ever played was Dragon Warrior 3 for the GBC. My aunt had purchased it for me for my 6th birthday. I havent played it until now but my account was a lvl 50... O.o Didn't know i was that good of a gamer back then. But definately Dragon Warrior 3 was my first, and favorite game. Other than Dragon Quest VIII. COR BLIMEY!!!

Mine was Dragon Quest IV for the DS.

Yeah, I know, I'm very new to the series. But since then, I've also played VIII, I on the NES, and V on the DS. I'm currently deeply involved with Dragon Quest VII.

mine was dragon quest 1 my second was dw 2 my third was dw 3 my fourth was dragon quest 4 my fifth was dragon quest 5 my sixth was dragon quest 6 my seventh was dw 8 and im also playing dw iv for ds im about to get dw v for ds in 6 days..

dude i hated grinding for the magic sword.once me and my brother had a contest for who could earn enough money for a copper sword even fighting blue slimes i won i rock at dragon warrior i fell in love with the series when i played 1 my favorite i just got 5 days ago it is dragon warrior viii.

I first played Dragon Warrior III for the GBC. I remember getting it, I was at Wal-Mart with my dad at least 10 years ago, and my uncle worked there in the Electronics section. I was big into my GBC back then and carried it around everywhere playing Pokemon I bet. Anyways I was getting a new game and there was this big section of stacked up and back GBC games under the display and my uncle opened it up and rooted through it with me lookin' for something that I'd like. I stopped him when Dragon Warrior III came out into the pile. I liked the cover, swords, the word "Dragon" a castle, that was it.

It was also the first game I ever bought the Walkthrough/Strategy Guide for, sensing it had a lot of stuff I wanted to make sure I experienced.

I never beat it.

I'm playing it now currently in an effort to play through and beat the series in preparation for IX.

VIII is the next one, so I've got a lot of DQ to catch up on!