What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

i'm supremely dating myself here, but oh well.

as a young child, around 9 or 10, i saw the movie "The Wizard" starring Fred Savage and being all about playing NES games. well, the theater gave out little 'mini-nintendo power' mags of maybe 10 pages total. inside was a small article for Dragon Warrior 1, which had been out less than 3 months. went out and bought the game a few days later with saved allowance money. was one of my first purchases in my young life, and has led to a near two-decade-long love affair with role playing games.

so yea, my first dw game, and first rpg in general, was DW1. swiftly followed by DW2 & DW3. sadly, i missed out on dw4nes, but am currently loving the ds remake/port/report (whatever!).

The Wizard. Ah, the 80's. Brings back memories. :evillaugh:

Captain N, Saved by the Bell, GI Joe,. and going back to what I grew up on, The A Team, MacGyver, and my hero and fellow Tigers fan Thomas Magnum PI.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

This is the order I have played all my Dragon Quest/ Warrior games

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Playstation 2) (Completed the game and most of the Dragovian Trials)

Dragon Warrior III (Gameboy Color) (Completed Story mode)

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS) (Completed the game with all 100 Slime's)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (DS) (Completed Story mode)

Dragon Warrior I and II (Gamboy Color) (Completed both games)

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Wii) (Completed story mode and currently stuck on the three headed dragon boss)

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS) (Completed the game with both endings and I have the whole Pandemonic Set)

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (Gameboy Color) (I rarely play because of Dragon Warrior VII but im in the forth world, the sky world)

Dragon Warrior VII (Playstation) (Im around 64 hours into the game and Im Coastal In the past)

Edited by MV6000

The first DQ game I got wasn't even a DQ game, it was Dragon Warrior I & II for the GBC. Strangely enough my mom of all people saw the game and decided to get it for my birthday on her own accord. I was a little skeptical at first but I played it and was hooked. I've been a fan ever since.

;) Ahhhhh yes the 80s and First half of the 90s. Back when gaming and TV were good, before most people had computers and internets. How I miss those halcyon days... *le sigh*
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the first Dragon Warrior game I played was I and II for GBC, but I was supposed to get DQM2: Kobi's journey. The guy made a mistake and gave me the wrong game, but because of that, I became addicted to DQ!

I was about 6-8 when it came out, but I was able to understand the basic storyline.

I lost the game on an Amtrak train a few years ago ( :cry: ) and then used emulators to play 4, 5, and 6 for NES/SNES.

I bought DW3 for GBC, only to have misplaced it a few weeks later! Emulator again!

I got DW7(for Emulator, of course. I couldn't find the actual game), and I am still playing it. I beat DQ4(Hero, Alena, Cristo, Mara(or Nara, whichever one's cleric!)) and 5(Son was only one standing, Hero died just before final blow), and I am still working on 3(Zoma, can't beat him!) and 6(Had Pegasus, but had to restart game). I then got DQ4 for DS, and I'm almost done(although it isn't as special since I had freshly beaten it for NES.) I have not played 8 except for a small part in the beginning...

As for Monsters/ Swords, not as appealing to me as the main series...

• 4 weeks later...

Dragon Warrior I, when I was 9 years old, I could read just good enough to understand what was going on so it had a huge influence on my brain at that young age. Since that point on I appreciated games with stories and I have pretty much loved RPG's since.

I was also obsessed with leveling up and beating all the new monsters. It was all so original back then that it really blew me away. Of course now that I look back at the game and compare it to the new ones and it seems so small and simple but it's so classic... everything about DWI was classic. Because I was so young when I played part I the nostalgia is overwhelming when I play any new DW/DQ games.

my first was DragonQuest 3, on the gameboy color. that one was cool i loved how you could pick from 8 differnt classes

(including the sage you can turn into) id love to see a remake of that one. but who knows what the future holds,im shure years ago people wanted a re-release of DQ4. and wanted DQ 5 n' 6 in america. and now were geting them!!

WOOO!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine was Dragon Warrior, not only being the first DW/DQ game I ever played, but also my first ever video game (well at least the first game I can remember playing). My older brother got it in 1989 when I was only 3 years old. Like most of everyone, he too got it free with the subscription to Nintendo Power. I tired playing it but I never could figure out what I was supposed to do. I usually just ran out in the field until I eventually died from getting beaten to a bloody pulp from those stronger guys. ^^; I remember I was laughing when the NPCs were talking, as I called it back then "like that Romeo and Juliet guy" XD I learned more about the game as I watched my brother play it, but eventually I got bored of it and tossed it aside. Most of the games I liked then were more fast paced like Zelda and Super Mario. It wouldn't be until much later in life I learned to appreciate not only Dragon Warrior but RPGS in general. I will safely say DQ is perhaps the best RPG series ever made ^^

BTW the dungeon theme from DWI and DWII used to scare me a lot when I was kid.

The first Dragon Quest game I ever played was DQVI on snes emulator. It was in japanese, but what pulled me into the game was the opening and the music. I think that this was around or between 2002 and 2003 because I kept searching for the english rom but couldn't find it, so I just played the untranslated version instead. Then about a few months later, I bought Dragon Quest VII because I thought it would be very similar to VI in terms of music and story I guess. At the beginning I didn't like it, but I slowly began to appreciate the game and soon it became my favorite DQ game in the series. Honestly, When looking on the back of the manual of VII I got the roman numerals mixed up and thought that a remake of VI was coming out. I thought Solo(hero) was Botsu, Alena was either Barbara or Muriel, and Master Dragon was that Dragon from that beginning that is summoned with the flute. I even remember going on the internet and searching for the game to see if it was already out in the u.s. Later on I realized it was actually IV a DQ game I never got to play yet. The next DQ game I played was V and I enjoyed that one a lot also. I got up to the third generation and was up to the part where you face Gema but then my file was corrupted. The next one I played was I+II on the snes and then I played Dragon Quest III reprise. DQ III reprise was a cool game but all I remember about it was turning into that purple dragon/demon monster and running around the town burning people. I then was finally able to get Dragon Quest V for the PS2 because I saw screenshots of it and it looked so cool. I am up to the part with borongo and Kabochi village. The last game I was able to get and wanted for a while also was Dragon Quest IV for the playstation. I am up to chapter 2 in that bazaar town. After that I tried out IV on a Nes emulator, and I felt like playing that version instead. ^^ (sorry for the long post)

Edited by Dragon Spirit

My first one was DQ8: Journey of a cursed King.

Yeah i jumped late in the DQ hype, but as I live in Europe it's not that reamrkable. We are alway left out on many great games.

I will keep remembering DQ8 because it was the frits RPG that made me really laugh. Even the battles with their strange status conditions: laughing, dancing,...

And many great attacks too like the golden oldies, underpants dance, Puff-ppuff.

Ah great times. i think i'l pop it in for the 4tht time after I finished FFXII

Afterwards, and actually also atm I'm playing DWVII. I'm also going to pick up a copy from the remake of DWIV.

Afterward's i'll start looking for more emultors and of course DQIX and X.

The first Dragon Warrior game I played was Dragon Warrior, which I got with my Nintendo Power subscription for Christmas one year. I was eight years old at the time, and from the moment I encountered my first slime on my way to Brecconary, as well as beating him with my bare hands, I fell in love with the game.

Granted as well, since I was eight years old, I thought I could take on all of Alefgard once I got the spells Heal and Hurt, and tried taking on a Skeleton at level 4, with a club. After realizing that this game would also be a game of patience and strategy, I would learn to use patience with games like this, and the game really changed my outlook on games.

I've always had trouble choosing "favorite" games within game series, such as the Mario series, the Zelda series, the Metroid series, Resident Evil, Doom, Donkey Kong, but the Dragon Warrior series has always been a series I can safely say in which I've always been able to say, I love the whole series as a whole!

The first one I played was the first Dragon Warrior, but the first one I beat was Dragon Warrior III. My grandma is a big fan of the Dragon Warrior series, it was over her house that I first played the games; if not for her I probably would have never given them a shot.

I'm a bit of an oddball. I played Dragon Warrior Monsters on GBC way back in 2000; it was my first DQ game and I didn't realize until quite a bit later that there a ton of games preceding it! I palyed DWMII and then DW I-III as they were released on the Gameboy. So I don't have any sort of nostalgic memories of playing the originals on NES, but oh well.

Guest Plattym3
The first one I played was the first Dragon Warrior, but the first one I beat was Dragon Warrior III. My grandma is a big fan of the Dragon Warrior series, it was over her house that I first played the games; if not for her I probably would have never given them a shot.

Wouldn't say my grandma was a big fan, but it was she that secretly ordered my Nintendo Power subscription earlier in the year, had them and Dragon Warrior delivered to her house and wrapped them all up for my Christmas gift that year. I thank her for my DQ lovin'.

Wouldn't say my grandma was a big fan, but it was she that secretly ordered my Nintendo Power subscription earlier in the year, had them and Dragon Warrior delivered to her house and wrapped them all up for my Christmas gift that year. I thank her for my DQ lovin'.

Wow, that's cool. My Grandma had nothing to do with me discovering the Dragon Warrior series.

Wow, that's cool. My Grandma had nothing to do with me discovering the Dragon Warrior series.

My grandma > Your grandma

My grandma > Your grandma

while(my_grandma < your_grandma)

{

King_Zenith.Fling_Poo(Grand_Alchemist);

my_grandma++;

}

:angel:

IF King_Zenith.FlingPoo TRUE THEN

Explodet

ELSE Parry

END IF

Mine was Dragon Warrior (GBC).

First time I saw something about it was in a special about the series in Nintendo World (Brasilian official Nintendo magazine) site. They wrote about all the games from the franchise for Nintendo consoles.

I dont know why but I thought it great. It really got me. At the same day I started looking for a DQ game in some sales sites. I passed a mouth without sucess in my search. Then, suddenly I found it. Lost in a deep anounce in a sale site there was a Dragon Warrior cartridge to GBC. I bought it without think twice. I was anxious to play it.

When it arrived I stopped everything what I was doing. I HAD to play it.

I started with Dragon Warrior. It was awesome. Even passing the first days completely lost and doing nothing that I really should in the game I was in love for it.

Decided to star a journey on DQ2, in the same cartridge. Boy I went crazy. "It is most difficult then the first one. And where should I go?" I sayed.

I was completely lost in the two games and had no idea of what should I do. Then I started to use Google. Passed a day looking for a good site and couldn't find one. When I was almost giving up I say it... Oh, come on, what could it be? Woodus, of course!

I never saw too much information about the series in only one place. Checked the site and then decided to see the forum. Just for curiosity cause until that momment I had never been a member of an American forum before. Just a few minutes after and I was entering in the register page. The first topic I created was "Olá" (Hi, in Portuguese).

Then Dragon's Den and all of you got that large place in my heart.

Wow, it sounded like a testemonial.... :P

I became my brother's apprentice (grinding!) for DW III and DW IV, NES. =)

And then I played DW I by myself. Whoa was I in for a shock --- RETURN sends you back to ONLY the castle? You can only save at the CASTLE? Whoa.

Whoa.

You have to BUY keys? Whoa.

=)

Whoa was I in for a shock --- RETURN sends you back to ONLY the castle? You can only save at the CASTLE? Whoa.

Whoa.

You have to BUY keys? Whoa.

=)

Whoa.

I also had the same reaction with these things first time i was playing the game.

Edited by Leonardo