What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

Oh man, the first Dragon Quest game I ever played was Joker for the DS way back in 2010(?). I heard of it from a friend who heard of it from a friend and then I just kept playing it and hogging the DS all the time until I beat Estark and on the same day that my friend did and we went up to each other and said at the same time that we beat Estark.

Then I forgot about the series until I saw ads for Dragon Quest IX and then after that I got Joker 2. I didn't play much Dragon Quest (just monsters and I) until I found out about VII for the 3DS and have been playing a bunch of DQ games ever since.

• Like 1
  • Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

My mom got me 3 on GBC when I was younger. When I asked her what "d-a-m-n" spelled the game magically vanished. Luckily all these years later I was able to get a CIB copy and it's my second favorite game ever.
Damn
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

So, Dragon Warrior NES was my first game. It was also my first ever RPG. Some of my earliest childhood memories are of Mario, Zelda, Mega Man and Dragon WARRIOR. In my heart of hearts, it will always be Dragon WARRIOR, though I've grown used to calling it Dragon QUEST these past few years.

When I see young new Dragon Quest fans spring up nowadays I always feel old when I see the kids say: "Why are the characters moving like that even though they're standing still?". To me, this is someone I never questioned in my entire life. It was always just...so. Now, with DQXI, all the kids are asking: "Why do they keep moving like that? Are they walking in place? What is that?" LOL! I believe a couple posters around here mentioned their own children saying similar things.

The original game holds a special place in my heart. It's a PIECE of my childhood. I have to admit--for a certain period of time, I didn't understand how to play the game. RPG's were a new experience back then. I kept playing with the text menu, thinking it would make my attacks stronger. I did stupid things such as buying the club first and neglecting the "clothes" because I thought: "what do I need those for?". I didn't understand the concept of armor and didn't really understand the stats either.

I was more used to playing The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II and Willow (anyone else remember this game? I still think it has some of best NES music and actually some impressive graphics for its time). Once I understood the RPG elements of Zelda II and Willow, I managed to figure out Dragon Warrior.

I have memories of making it all the way to Rimuldar with only a club. Got lucky and somehow ran away from enough battles.

I remember literally memorizing the caves so I could avoid buying torches/reach certain caves early. I got good at it, too--I was able to traverse a few caves with NOTHING. To this day, I'm not sure I could ever mimic that.

I have to give a special shout-out to GBC version of this game--I simply adore it. To me, the GBC version resembles late era NES games. It's what you might expect DQ1 to look like if it had released late in the NES' run rather than near the beginning. While I recommend the Switch version as the best version to play, the GBC version might actually be a personal favorite of mine--even more-so than the SFC version. Yes, I understand the GBC version is a down-scaled version of the SFC one but the GBC version is, like I stated, a better 8-bit version. 

While this is nowhere near my favorite Dragon Quest game, DQ1 will always be the one I'm most nostalgic for. I also see and appreciate it for what it is: a pillar for JRPG's and the entire Dragon Quest franchise we love so much.

This game is a relic that RPG fans don't have to favor but should definitely show RESPECT for.

• Like 1

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing and pleasant characters, enjoyable music, interesting story, classic but effective fights, monstrous content, massive additional content compared to PS4 / PC versions.

Dragon Quest XI S is an essential that any owner of Switch must own, it is one of the best games of the Switch and this generation.

Appvalley TutuApp Tweakbox

Edited by morningstar
  • Like 3
The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing and pleasant characters, enjoyable music, interesting story, classic but effective fights, monstrous content, massive additional content compared to PS4 / PC versions.
Dragon Quest XI S is an essential that any owner of Switch must own, it is one of the best games of the Switch and this generation.
Wahoo! Welcome to the fandom!
  • Like 1

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in a wholly different way. I had a great time with it, but since my interest in RPGs at that time only extended to monster-catchers, I never followed it with the DW ports on the system.

I got into the series for real in 2016, with the western release of Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past. This wasn't the first time the main series had caught my eye: about a decade before, during the DS era, I looked into the series but ultimately dismissed it as "too simplistic" for me to enjoy. In 2016, I still harboured some of those concerns, but DQ7 was so endlessly intriguing and fascinating to me— from the time-travel premise, to the down-to-earth character designs, to even the game's reputation as being way too long— that I took a leap of faith. I'm glad I did: beyond getting me into the series, it also became one of my favourite games ever!

Edited by Sham hatwitch
oops, forgot to finish a sentence
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I was emerging from my "Dark Times" (not playing video games and generally denying my nerd side) in 1992, a friend game me his NES to play FF1. Absolutely loving that game i sought out similar games and came upon Dragon Warrior 1. I was unaware of all the sequels and when Dragon Quest 8 came out on PS2 I was angered they had "ripped off" Dragon Warrior. About ten years ago I discovered they were one and the same and I've been collecting the games I missed. I'm currently playing DG 1 2 3 and X1 on Switch.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 10/23/2019 at 1:53 AM, Sham hatwitch said:

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in a wholly different way. I had a great time with it, but since my interest in RPGs at that time only extended to monster-catchers, I never followed it with the DW ports on the system.

I got into the series for real in 2016, with the western release of Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past. This wasn't the first time I'd g: about a decade before, during the DS era, I looked into the series but ultimately dismissed it as "too simplistic" for me to enjoy. In 2016, I still harboured some of those concerns, but DQ7 was so endlessly intriguing and fascinating to me— from the time-travel premise, to the down-to-earth character designs, to even the game's mixed reputation as being way too long— that I took a leap of faith. I'm glad I did: beyond getting me into the series, it also became one of my favourite games ever.

This is off topic but I just have to say...your username made me want to comment on how much I LOVE Sham Hatwitch in Dragon Quest XI. While I have mixed feelings about some of Dragon Quest puns (Robbin' Ood? Are you kidding me? What's wrong with Kandar?), I absolutely LOVE Sham Hatwitch. A stroke of genius, if you ask me. It's as if all the planets were alignment the day someone came up with that pun.

I can see why you chose it for a username. Sham Hatwitch...LOL!

16 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

3, with my teal Gameboy color that I got with Pokémon Yellow and Super Mario Land: 6 Golden Coins for my birthday.

I know this is off topic, but I would LOVE for an official color release of that game someday. The Super Mario Land games may not be as great as their big brothers on the NES/SNES, but they are still incredible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

This is off topic but I just have to say...your username made me want to comment on how much I LOVE Sham Hatwitch in Dragon Quest XI. While I have mixed feelings about some of Dragon Quest puns (Robbin' Ood? Are you kidding me? What's wrong with Kandar?), I absolutely LOVE Sham Hatwitch. A stroke of genius, if you ask me. It's as if all the planets were alignment the day someone came up with that pun.

I can see why you chose it for a username. Sham Hatwitch...LOL!

I am a fan of puns, so I quite enjoy seeing what DQ can come up with. But "Sham Hatwitch" is more than just chuckle-worthy, it's a genuinely clever and appropriate play-on-words, and one of the best they've ever done. IMO, only "Mars Rover" comes close.

11 hours ago, Sham hatwitch said:

I am a fan of puns, so I quite enjoy seeing what DQ can come up with. But "Sham Hatwitch" is more than just chuckle-worthy, it's a genuinely clever and appropriate play-on-words, and one of the best they've ever done. IMO, only "Mars Rover" comes close.

I actually looked it up and I didn't realized that Sham Hatwitch was originally from Dragon Quest X (never played it). Apparently, it even had a variant there called "Ham Shamwitch". I like Ham Shamwitch but "Sham Hatwitch" is even better. I also like "Buffalo Wing" From DQIV, "Wax Murderer" from DQV and "Natural Born Quiller" from DQVII.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

The first Dragon Quest game I’ve played was the first Dragon Quest game; Dragon Warrior for the NES. I remember visiting my grandparents a lot when I was a little child (5-10 years of age), and they had a collection of different kinds of NES games, and the one I’ve played the most was Dragon Warrior. I’ve played the game so much as a kid, I could play the game inside my head. I believe I’ve only beaten the Dragon Lord only once though. Then later on in life as a young kid, I got that Dragon Warrior I and II GBC bundle, and beaten both of those games a couple times. Dragon Warrior III for the GBC was my next Dragon Quest game, and I’ve spent more time on that game than any Dragon Quest I’ve played combined. I still have the game card and I still play it on my Gameboy Advanced. To this day, I still need to get all the Silver Medals to take on the Grand Dragon. I’ve been way too lazy to try and get them all :P

• Like 1

My first Dragon Quest game was the Game Boy Color remake of Dragon Warrior III back in 2002/2003. It was my sister's copy, so I wasn't really able to play it unless the batteries in her GBA were almost dead. My sister had the prima guide for that game and I always loved looking through it seeing all of the cool looking monsters and equipment and she'd show me what the monsters looked like in the game. It wouldn't be until 2008 when I got a NES that I finally played through and finished Dragon Warrior III. Eventually I got my own copy of the GBC version and it's still my favorite version of that game to play even after playing through the SNES and Switch versions. Still to this day I have yet to get all of those monster medals (I wonder if anyone has been able to do that legitimately to be honest), but each time I replay the game, I do put a little more effort into getting them. During my last playthrough I linked up my copy with my sister's but it only helped out a tiny bit; I did however learn that you can link the English and Japanese versions of the game to trade medals which helped out a little bit too. Looking at my notes I left for the game, it looks like I still need 7 bronze medals to have a complete set. I suppose one positive about this monster medal collecting thing is that extra bronze medals can be turned into silver medals to pass the second gate in the Ice Cave, then the same thing can be done with extra silver medals for the third gate.

Edited by MegaSilverX1
  • 4 months later...

I had known about the series for a while, never really given it a chance since I didn't own a NES. One day I was on the Square Enix website and saw that you could sign up to have a demo of Dragon Quest VIII be mailed to you. I received the demo and instantly fell in love with the game. Many hours were put into that game and when IX came out I didn't hesitate to pick it up as well. Since then I now own about every Western release of the franchise and while I've beaten quite a few of them, there are still some I've yet to try. However as I get older, I tend to have less and less time for games, but eventually I'll get to them.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
I emulated Dragon Quest 1 for the NES. It's the only one I beat so far.
While I completely agree with the argument your username is trying to make, it seems partly contradictory to what I've quoted.
16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

emoji848.png While I completely agree with the argument your username is trying to make, it seems partly contradictory to what I've quoted.

I'm in the middle of playing DQ2 and it's not as bad as people say it is IMO.

• Like 1

My first DQ game was Dragon Quest V on the DS. I was actually aware of the series for a long time since I was a kid, having read about the series on Nintendo Power, but I didn't get into it then because they were hard to find. Since then, I had forgotten about the series until I got interested in RPGs in my teens, and reading about the history of JRPGs got me into checking out Dragon Quest, a series that I knew as a kid but never got into for various reasons. DQV on the DS happened to be the most recent release at the time, which made it easy for me to get, and, well, I've never been more glad to become a fan of a new series.

• Like 2

XI.

I was browsing a news website and didn't really think about it much, just saw the news about it, then the trailer and got it day one. My main worry (and one of the reasons why I almost didn't purchase it) was that the game did not have Japanese voice-overs + English subtitles option, or any J. voice-over in the first place. I kept thinking how should I play it since I generally dislike English voice-acting (especially in Japanese games) and eventually decided to play with the voices off, the way it released in Japan. I'm happy I chose that way.

That's where I started and fell in love with the series. The next one was DQ Builders, then Heroes and then I started the previous main titles, Monsters... 

• Like 2
On 5/16/2020 at 9:16 PM, Plattym3 said:

emoji848.png While I completely agree with the argument your username is trying to make, it seems partly contradictory to what I've quoted.

I just beat DQ2 today!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DragonQuest2IsGood said:

Yeah and I still stand by what I said.

Change your username to your opinion of each Dragon Quest game that you’re currently playing. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a little kid in the early 90s we had a NES with Dragon Warrior I and II from my cousin (who was into all sorts of RPG stuff, D&D, computer games, etc). I think we got I slightly earlier but I have very strong memories of II from early on, I think while I was still learning to read, even. They still hold a special nostalgic place for me because of that. I was super excited when the RPGOne SNES translations came out in 2002, too.

Flash forward to the late 90s, I was figuring out emulation on the early internet and got ahold of Dragon Warrior III and IV. Those were great as well. I don't think V had a finished translation until the mid 00s so I didn't play it until then; I didn't play VI until I got the DS version in 2011 or so (which is the newest game I've bought because I've been a bit poor in the past decade). I did get to play VII on PSX in the late 00s, and VIII, which was awesome. The only onIy played brand-new was IX in 2010, and I even preordered it. As for spinoffs, they're something I've meant to get into but not gotten around to for the most part (didn't get far in Monsters 1)- I should, though. One day I definitely need to play XI, preferably for Switch.

But from the main line, aside from X and XI that I've yet to play, the only one I haven't finished at least once is VI (and that was more to do with with real-life distractions stalling me out- the game is pretty great and I need to go back to it).

Lately I've mostly played Of The Stars, which I started in March during the Baramos event, and have played at least a little each day since (at the very least to pick up the daily stuff). As you can imagine, I was really happy to get the DQII costumes during the DQ Day reruns.

Sometimes I'll also play the randomizers for I and II on NES, those are great! It's nice to be able to come back to something so familiar in a new way now and then.

Edited by Mitsukara