Eccadairius

What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

On 6/23/2018 at 3:47 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

D’oh! I meant teal blue, not real blue. Darn auto correct.

But yes, you’re totally right about the sense of mystery for the whole game. I remember how varied the dungeon layouts would be, and how it was always cool to find items lying around for you to grab. You never knew what to expect from floors either. I was pretty terrible at the game since it was my 1st RPG, so I really struggled until I got older and wiser! Luckily with Monsters 2 I had a much better time, and have a soft spot for Tara’s Adventure since that was the version of M2 I played the most.

And yes, definitely get Builders! The PS4 version is very nice. The Switch version is cool too, and even has additional items you can build in Terra Incognita along with some other little changes. Either version is worth it.

I always loved finding myself some tiny medals to trade for some cool eggs. Dude, I was so bad that I didn’t know how to save. I played the first few gates three or four times. I first saved on accident by putting my monsters to sleep and then eventually found the journal...I think I played Tara’s the most as well. Played them both multiple times though haha. 

Sweet. I shall check into it. I’ve got the DQ hype going on. I’ll probably go with PS4 for now. 

1 hour ago, AzureVoid said:

I always loved finding myself some tiny medals to trade for some cool eggs. Dude, I was so bad that I didn’t know how to save. I played the first few gates three or four times. I first saved on accident by putting my monsters to sleep and then eventually found the journal...I think I played Tara’s the most as well. Played them both multiple times though haha. 

Sweet. I shall check into it. I’ve got the DQ hype going on. I’ll probably go with PS4 for now. 

WHAT?! You didn’t know how to save either?! That’s hilarious cause I was the exact same way! It took me such a long time to find out how to save my progress. I thought it was just a game you had to see how far you could get each time, trying to play through the game faster each time or something. Eventually I asked a friend who played Pokémon how he kept his progress in his game, and from what he told me I found how to save in DWM1.

I had to google how to save in the iOS port of DQ1.

Edited by eal

On 6/25/2018 at 11:39 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

WHAT?! You didn’t know how to save either?! That’s hilarious cause I was the exact same way! It took me such a long time to find out how to save my progress. I thought it was just a game you had to see how far you could get each time, trying to play through the game faster each time or something. Eventually I asked a friend who played Pokémon how he kept his progress in his game, and from what he told me I found how to save in DWM1.

Haha. That’s kind of amusing. I was unaware I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know how to save. I thought the same thing. At least worst case whenever we breed monsters it would have saved. I just got lucky and found out after playing the first few gates several times. 

My first DQ game was Dragon Warrior for NES. I saw it at a friend's birthday party when I was 10, sometime in 1989, and I really wanted to try it after that. I was hooked on the series ever since.

I had a Nintendo Power subscription since the first issue and I had a subscription to the Nintendo Fun Club for two issues before it was scrapped and replaced by Nintendo Power. I don't remember there being a Dragon Warrior game give-away, but enough people have mentioned it over the years as their gateway to DQ that I remember it happened. Was it a send-away or did it come sealed with the magazine? Not sure how I missed it.

3 hours ago, AzureVoid said:

Haha. That’s kind of amusing. I was unaware I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know how to save. I thought the same thing. At least worst case whenever we breed monsters it would have saved. I just got lucky and found out after playing the first few gates several times. 

See, I never really tried (or just wasn't all that aware) of the breeding system until much later. I mainly stuck with the boss monsters who joined you from the gates, which explains why I was stuck at the Battlerex for the longest time and why it’s still one of my most hated bosses/enemies in an RPG.

Eventually after playing Monsters 2 and using the breeding system (as well as the handy dandy guide book that helped with breeding monsters) I went back to DWM1 and figured things out, improving my enjoyment of the 1st game by a good margin.

It’s been so long that I don’t know if I just ignored the dialogue or what in the 1st Monsters game, but it was one I had my fair share of troubles with. Luckily Monsters 2 helped me improve.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

See, I never really tried (or just wasn't all that aware) of the breeding system until much later.

Nothing wrong with being a late bloomer.

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

I had a Nintendo Power subscription since the first issue and I had a subscription to the Nintendo Fun Club for two issues before it was scrapped and replaced by Nintendo Power. I don't remember there being a Dragon Warrior game give-away, but enough people have mentioned it over the years as their gateway to DQ that I remember it happened. Was it a send-away or did it come sealed with the magazine? Not sure how I missed it. 

You had to call and renew to get it, it wasn't automatic. I remember as I had just renewed and I think this renewal was for like 2 or 3 years (which I knew I wanted to keep getting it so more years was good for me) so I begged my mom to do the call and do the renewal for me and they added the current months I had left with the new renewal time and then sent me the game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

See, I never really tried (or just wasn't all that aware) of the breeding system until much later. I mainly stuck with the boss monsters who joined you from the gates, which explains why I was stuck at the Battlerex for the longest time and why it’s still one of my most hated bosses/enemies in an RPG.

Eventually after playing Monsters 2 and using the breeding system (as well as the handy dandy guide book that helped with breeding monsters) I went back to DWM1 and figured things out, improving my enjoyment of the 1st game by a good margin.

It’s been so long that I don’t know if I just ignored the dialogue or what in the 1st Monsters game, but it was one I had my fair share of troubles with. Luckily Monsters 2 helped me improve.

I never would have made it that far if I didn’t accidentally save at the farm haha. You know, I think I was stuck at Battlerex for a while as well. It was 8 months or so of owning the game before I finally got past that part. 

I didn’t have access of 2 for another year or so. My friend knew I liked the first and his mother bought him both versions of 2 and he loaned me Tara’s I believe. Those were the days.

1 hour ago, AzureVoid said:

I never would have made it that far if I didn’t accidentally save at the farm haha. You know, I think I was stuck at Battlerex for a while as well. It was 8 months or so of owning the game before I finally got past that part. 

I didn’t have access of 2 for another year or so. My friend knew I liked the first and his mother bought him both versions of 2 and he loaned me Tara’s I believe. Those were the days.

Took me years to beat Battlerex. I sat the game aside for a long time, then one day got the wild hair to go back to it and won the fight. From there was when I improved my gameplay abilities with DWM1.

I got the 2 versions of Monsters 2 for Christmas the year they came out. They were definitely my favorite gifts from that Christmas. I ended up spending the most time with Tara’s Adventure because (and this part I’m not 100% on since it was so long ago) she wore green, and that was my favorite color. Same went for any Mario game where Luigi was playable; I just started choosing him because he wore green. And in the N64 his voice was pretty good, even that weird high pitched voice they gave him in Mario Party 1 and 2.

The Kingdom of Greatlog’s theme is still stuck in my head to this day. I loved going to the library and reading the monster bios, and trying to beat Prince Kameha’s monster teams. The one he has with the Kingleo was just so difficult to actually beat!

11 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Took me years to beat Battlerex. I sat the game aside for a long time, then one day got the wild hair to go back to it and won the fight. From there was when I improved my gameplay abilities with DWM1.

I got the 2 versions of Monsters 2 for Christmas the year they came out. They were definitely my favorite gifts from that Christmas. I ended up spending the most time with Tara’s Adventure because (and this part I’m not 100% on since it was so long ago) she wore green, and that was my favorite color. Same went for any Mario game where Luigi was playable; I just started choosing him because he wore green. And in the N64 his voice was pretty good, even that weird high pitched voice they gave him in Mario Party 1 and 2.

The Kingdom of Greatlog’s theme is still stuck in my head to this day. I loved going to the library and reading the monster bios, and trying to beat Prince Kameha’s monster teams. The one he has with the Kingleo was just so difficult to actually beat!

Battlerex was a jump in skill to defeat. Once you breed he falls fast haha. I had lost my copy for a couple of months and then we moved and it was under the couch. I was so excited. Within a few weeks in the new house I finally beat him. 

Thats an awesome Christmas gift. I believe Tara was indeed green and Cobi blue? I just took what I could get and liked that they had differences. Like that fight before Limbo. 

I did did the same thing in Greattree with the time spending in the Library. I really liked strolling through Greatlog though. It was relaxing. I want to replay the originals sometime. 

On 6/26/2018 at 2:36 PM, Liamland said:

My first DQ game was Dragon Warrior for NES. I saw it at a friend's birthday party when I was 10, sometime in 1989, and I really wanted to try it after that. I was hooked on the series ever since.

Yeah, i was a charter subscriber to NP and all throughout the 8-bit Nintendo era (and Fun Club Newsletter from the 2nd issue of that) and don't ever remember such a promotion, either.:puzzled: I did resub in 1990, I remember because we moved that year and I had to call and make sure they had the right address and stuff, no promo offers were made then... I already had DW, tho, begged my mom for it when it first came out months before. Still have that cart as well as the Nintendo versions of 2-4 complete in box, along with the guide for 4, which I heard was kind of rare at least for a while, I dunno if that's still so sought after. I even pulled it out when playing 4ds. Wasn't a perfect fit, but it helped!:thumbsup:

Edited by tbb033

I was first exposed to Dragon Quest  via the Dragon Warrior I&II rerelease on the GBC.  I was subscribed to Nintendo Power at the time and they had a couple of articles regarding the release.  I don't know what drew me to this game in particular, but I was interested.  I probably got the game for my birthday or Christmas that year (2000?), but I don't recall specifically.

DWI really spoke to me.  I still really enjoy it.  I love its simplicity and even its shorter length.  It is very relaxing to play.  I actually really appreciate the mobile release; I think it is a good fit for the game.  Most of the game is honestly just grinding, so even if you boot it up for just a few minutes and fight a couple of battles you can feel like you've actually accomplished something.

DWII was also, of course, included in that GBC package.  I wasn't as big of a fan, although I do appreciate the game.  I got stuck at some point just trying to find where I was supposed to go.  I think I abandoned the game for a while and didn't finish it until about a year or two later.  I've gone back to it since.  It is still probably one of my least favorite in the series.  It doesn't quite have the endearing simplicity of I and yet also doesn't feel fully formed like III and later do.

I was very excited for the rerelease of DWIII on the GBC.  Even though it was technically a remake, it felt like a proper new release to me.  I was as hyped for that as I ever was for any other game I anticipated.  I really enjoy III.  I really felt like an expansion of the previous games and opened my eyes to what a fully formed RPG can be.  

I was also very excited to get to play IV.  I didn't have a PSX at the time (else I likely would have checked out VII by this point), but I was going to get one (or, rather, a PS2) for the remake of IV.  Again, although I knew it was a remake of an NES game it felt like a new release for me.  Of course, I was pretty disappointed when the PSX release was cancelled.  I did try to find the NES cart, but it was much too expensive even when I did finally find one.  I resorted to emulating the NES game, but that felt like just a step backward I couldn't get into it.  I don't think I even got past Ragnar's chapter.  IV ended up kind of feeling like a holy grail for me at that time.

At some point before VIII came out I did check out VII and played for a bit.  Due to its length I eventually end up stopping and didn't get around to beating it until 2013 or so.

I was very excited for DQVIII.  VII was kind of a let down to me at the time.  It just didn't capture the same feeling I had for I and III (and to a lesser extent II).  I think if I had been able to work through IV-VI and expanded my DQ horizons I would have been able to accept it better.  For some reason, though, VIII just really captured that feeling.  There was a lot different with 3D graphics and addition of voice acting, etc.  But just something about it clicked.  Good times.

I remember being very stoked for IV's release on DS.  Even though I did enjoy VIII, I still felt like I was missing something by not being able to properly play the whole series.  Finally being able to play IV felt almost a little surreal.  Its even more surreal for me now to consider that more time has passed between the release of IV and now than when I was first introduced to DQ/W and the eventual release of DQIV on the DS.  Ultimately, though, it didn't really live up to the hype.  Its a fine game and I don't have anything particularly negative to say about it other than it just doesn't really live up to III and is then overshadowed by V and VI.

At this point my experience surely mirrors most anybody's at this point.  I was excited to be able to move on to V when it was released; it felt like things were back on track with me being able to play through the series.  Of course, as soon as I felt like that there was that uncertainty in regards to VI's release.  Of course I had IX to tide me over, as we all did, but I was worried i was going to be in another IV situation and this time I wouldn't even have the original release to check out (which, being on the SNES, I probably would have been more open to compared to IV's NES release).  Very relieved when VI was finally published by Nintendo.

And of course I do feel a whole in my soul from the lack of X, but honestly the MMO nature of kind of helps with that.  I'd like to try it, but even if it did come over the fact that it is online and requires a subscription would sour my thoughts toward it a bit and, of course, hold back in later replays.

I do recall finally beating VII for the first time only for there to almost immediately afterwards be an announcement for a remake on the 3DS.  I of course was excited for a remake, but I was also kind of tired of the game at that point and was a little weary of the thought of playing through it again (remade or no) so soon.  Joke was one me, though, as it of course took a few years before we finally got it released here.

That more or less catches us up to today.  Sad we don't have the 3DS version of XI, but I'm happy playing the PS4 version.

My firsts Dragon Quest game was Dragon Quest Monsters Joker. I know i'm only 16 :( wasn't alive for OG NES games, however, after joker I played 9, then preceded to play all of them in the best way possible.

• Like 1

My firsts Dragon Quest game was Dragon Quest Monsters Joker. I know i'm only 16  

Wouldn't that make you slimeman2002?

3 hours ago, slimeman1999 said:

Can't change name now

I can change it if you like

On 10/19/2018 at 8:38 AM, Woodus said:

I can change it if you like

Oh thanks if you can change it to "sad46" that would be nice, and thank you.

2 hours ago, sad46 said:

Oh thanks if you can change it to "sad46" that would be nice, and thank you.

There you go :)

Thanks Woodus, out of curiosity are you KingZenith , or is he someone different?
Although I've never seen them together in the same room at the same time, I can say with 99% certainty they're 2 different distinguished gentlemen from 2 different countries, joined in spirit by the love of DQ.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Although I've never seen them together in the same room at the same time, I can say with 99% certainty they're 2 different distinguished gentlemen from 2 different countries, joined in spirit by the love of DQ.

Oh, okay.

12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I can say with 99% certainty they're 2 different distinguished gentlemen from 2 different countries

You can bump that to a full 100% ;)

• Like 1

Hey all, long time lurker.

I know I played at least the first two NES Dragon "Warrior" games - although I was renting them, and i was probably a few years too young to appreciate them beyond some of the mechanics and exploration - those large over world maps of early console RPGs always stuck with me however. It took all the way until Dragon Quest VIII's NA PS2 release to fully grab my attention, I played it and beat it, and now own a copy of every mainline game, except X.

It's been a good time to get back on board as an English speaker :)

• Like 1

I think it was Dragon Warrior II borrowed off my half-sisters boyfriend when I was 9.

My older sister, whose big on RPGs, got pretty far into it.  She got stuck waiting for the cloth to be made. I was not into RPGs so much.

The first Dragon Quest/Warrior game I ever got into was Dragon Warrior IV for the NES, I was 14-15ish at the time, spent all of July through November of 97' beating it.  I borrowed it from a friend who later sold his NES collection to me but had lost that cart (doh). 

• Like 1