Eccadairius

What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

Lists are great for reference catalogs. I list more crap than I will EVER admit to.

Back on topic, the first DQ game I played was VIII, but I had to put it down right around the time I got to the Troll's Maze. I got to play (and complete) Rocket Slime a few years later. Man, was that final chapter more awesome than any game starring slimes had a right to be.

The first one I played? Dragon Warrior, but on the Game Boy Color.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

The first Dragon Quest game I've played is Dragon Quest 8 which I purchased at the young age of 11 for a tenner. It was my first rpg and "good" video game (ratchet and clank demo and movie licensed games don't count :P ). I temporarily gave up after losing to the waterfall cave boss, I didn't really know about grinding and levelling and thought that the game was unfair. So I gave it to my cousin. I decided to then look at an lp of the game on youtube, to this day if it wasn't for Sevinup007 I never would have gotten back into the game. With an iron resolve to play the game I confronted my cousin and we both fought viciously over who coul- nah, he just gave the game back to me. And so I beat that the game fully that summer enjoying every last minute, well except for the part where I accidentally restarted my ps2 with my big toe losing a few hours of progress, that wasn't fun. After that I sought to play more dragon quest games starting with Dragon Quest 4 ds and well, the rest is history.

• Upvote 1

My first DQ game was Dragon Warrior 1, on the nes (which, I got for free with the Nintendo power offer).
Never gets old hearing this!! Me too.

Joker on the Nintendo DS.

That sounds crazy, but I got really tired of Pokémon and wanted something with more variety & input.

Joker on the Nintendo DS.
That sounds crazy, but I got really tired of Pokémon and wanted something with more variety & input.
However you came to the series, at least you're here!

On 2/8/2018 at 11:40 AM, Vulcanos said:

I got really tired of Pokémon

Well, Diamond and Pearl were some of the largest slogs in the series. Those save times were obnoxious.

6 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Well, Diamond and Pearl were some of the largest slogs in the series. Those save times were obnoxious.

....I liked Diamond....

10 hours ago, eal said:

....I liked Diamond....

So did I! But the save times were still awful and there were a few long stretches between cities.

40 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

So did I! But the save times were still awful and there were a few long stretches between cities.

It struck a decent balance that Pokémon games have struggled with in figuring out how much cave exploration there should be. People don’t like them, but caves should still be a part of the game. I remember X and Y had like no real caves that weren’t straight lines (also, I hate how you’d take two steps outside a town and end up in the next town).

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, eal said:

It struck a decent balance that Pokémon games have struggled with in figuring out how much cave exploration there should be. People don’t like them, but caves should still be a part of the game. I remember X and Y had like no real caves that weren’t straight lines (also, I hate how you’d take two steps outside a town and end up in the next town).

Aye, the caves should serve as dungeons more often with the promise of there being no safety.

I like what Gold and Silver was going for with the Dark Cave, being a place you can continually come back to explore deeper and deeper with the new abilities you gain throughout the game, but I think they ought to have done a couple of things differently: first, there should've been better incentives to explore it as often and thoroughly as possible, and second, they should've made it less obvious that you can't make all that much progress up front -- they have bodies of water in the first room that make it obvious that you can't properly explore until you're able to surf, and by that point, you might just have forgotten about The Cave You Can't Explore Yet.

Edited by JaybirdC

My first one was Dragon Quest IX.

I got a DS from a friend 5 years ago together with DQVI, IX and some other games. IX was the game I played the most, quickly reaching the 500h mark (ya, played it a lot 😅) and it remained my fav game, although it might not be the classical DQ

My first one was the original back in the late 80's.  Needless to say I was disappointed.  I didn't touch the series again until DQ8 on PS2 which sold me on the series finally.  I'm currently going through the 3DS version and plan to play some of the earlier Super Famicom versions on my SNES Classic before DQXI comes out for the PS4.

On 5/14/2018 at 5:51 PM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Dragon Warrior for NES. I'm one of the originals. :)

Me too! Though I was like 4-5 years old and couldn't read or figure out how to Rainbow Drop. So I was max level, never finished my save on that cart before it disappeared forever.

I first played Dragon Warrior Monsters 1. I got it for Christmas When I was 10. Been playing DQ since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AzureVoid said:

I first played Dragon Warrior Monsters 1. I got it for Christmas When I was 10. Been playing DQ since. 

Hey, that was my first DQ game too! I had gotten a GBC, but since I didn’t like the game my parents had gotten for me (it was some Looney Tunes game, I barely could get past level 2) they let me pick out a game. Sure enough, I chose DWM1. Been a fan of the series since I was 7, and have lots of nostalgia for the two Dragon Warrior Monsters game of GBC!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hey, that was my first DQ game too! I had gotten a GBC, but since I didn’t like the game my parents had gotten for me (it was some Looney Tunes game, I barely could get past level 2) they let me pick out a game. Sure enough, I chose DWM1. Been a fan of the series since I was 7, and have lots of nostalgia for the two Dragon Warrior Monsters game of GBC!

I actually had gotten my green GBC and Pokemon Gold and DWM1 for Christmas. My mother picked it out and had no idea what she was doing haha. I was hyped for Pokémon but the box for DWM drew me in so I played it first. DWM is one of my favorite games now.

(Monsters 2 was also amazing. I’ve been humming the Ice World theme for days.)

Edited by AzureVoid

3 minutes ago, AzureVoid said:

I actually had gotten my green GBC and Pokemon Gold and DWM1 for Christmas. My mother picked it out and had no idea what she was doing haha. I was hyped for Pokémon but the box for DWM drew me in so I played it first. DWM is one of my favorite games now.

(Monsters 2 was also amazing. I’ve been humming the Ice World theme for days.)

That’s funny, because it was the box art for DWM1 that caught my eye and made me choose it! I liked the monster designs more than (most) Pokemon designs, and I liked how Terry and his monster buddies were charging forward. I guess that box art makes me kind of like when we get 3D character art for the western releases. Builders PS4 box art is a prime example.

Anyway, my GBC was a real blue one, and I always gravitate to that color when I have the option.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That’s funny, because it was the box art for DWM1 that caught my eye and made me choose it! I liked the monster designs more than (most) Pokemon designs, and I liked how Terry and his monster buddies were charging forward. I guess that box art makes me kind of like when we get 3D character art for the western releases. Builders PS4 box art is a prime example.

Anyway, my GBC was a real blue one, and I always gravitate to that color when I have the option.

That is awesome. I agree about the monsters looking cool. They seemed more fierce. I really liked the sense of mystery and music as you journeyed through the game. I can see that. I’m actually behind of the spin-offs. I need to pick Builders up sometime. It’s so cheap.

I just asked for a GBC for Christmas. I for some reason didn’t request a color. Blue would have been sweet. 

6 minutes ago, AzureVoid said:

That is awesome. I agree about the monsters looking cool. They seemed more fierce. I really liked the sense of mystery and music as you journeyed through the game. I can see that. I’m actually behind of the spin-offs. I need to pick Builders up sometime. It’s so cheap.

I just asked for a GBC for Christmas. I for some reason didn’t request a color. Blue would have been sweet. 

D’oh! I meant teal blue, not real blue. Darn auto correct.

But yes, you’re totally right about the sense of mystery for the whole game. I remember how varied the dungeon layouts would be, and how it was always cool to find items lying around for you to grab. You never knew what to expect from floors either. I was pretty terrible at the game since it was my 1st RPG, so I really struggled until I got older and wiser! Luckily with Monsters 2 I had a much better time, and have a soft spot for Tara’s Adventure since that was the version of M2 I played the most.

And yes, definitely get Builders! The PS4 version is very nice. The Switch version is cool too, and even has additional items you can build in Terra Incognita along with some other little changes. Either version is worth it.