What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

I assume you're talking about V. Crazy that not everyone puts V on their personal favorite DQ list. But, well...

https://imgflip.com/i/vpwvi

Fifth DQ is best DQ.

The gods have decreed it so.

No but seriously it's great. After playing newer entries it could use a class system and maybe alchemy...but its story is unparalleled, its mechanics are the best I've seen at actually making you live through the characters hardships instead of showing them to you in a cutscene or through narration. And, well, I'm still devastated that the monster system never made a return in the main series titles. That could be present in every single entry as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, sure, there's Monsters...but I want them in my main title.

I wish I could combine the DS' script with the PS2's graphical engine.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

Don't tempt me. I have too many projects going on.

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

Pleeeeeeeeeese, I'm begging you.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Someone's a fanboy of DQV.... :P

Someone's a fanboy of DQV....

I'll own up to it. I found no flaws with it when I first played it. I would like to see it remade with some modern DQ mechanics, but its the perfect blend of mechanical prowess and storytelling.

But anyway, yeah, I'm likely to be biased, since it was my first DQ game.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I'm glad you feel that way about a game you enjoy, but next time don't be so condescending towards someone else's choice for their favorite DQ games. We all have different favorites for different reasons after all.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

Sent from my Nexus 6

To be honest I don't know how the PS2 game's script is stored. But I know a couple people who do. (Unfortunately they are pretty scarce though.) I'll add this to my ever-growing list of "maybe someday" projects.

I'm glad you feel that way about a game you enjoy, but next time don't be so condescending towards someone else's choice for their favorite DQ games. We all have different favorites for different reasons after all.

It was a joke.... O_o

Sent from my Nexus 6

Sent from my Nexus 6

To be honest I don't know how the PS2 game's script is stored. But I know a couple people who do. (Unfortunately they are pretty scarce though.) I'll add this to my ever-growing list of "maybe someday" projects.
If it wouldn't get shut down immediately, I would support whatever Kickstarter or Patreon that could make that game happen.

Hell, if SE would do it for you I'd pay for it. But that isn't likely.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when you're joking and when you're being serious.

Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when you're joking and when you're being serious.

Well if figured the use of the word "disgusting" would give it away. The more extreme word you use, the less genuine it sounds.

But you can chalk that up to a combination of internet communication and my inability to maintain normal human conversation.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Eh, it's all good. We've cleared the air now, and like you said, sometimes communication via the Internet can be tricky. Ol' Yangus is just 'appy to be talkin' 'bout DQ again so much.

...though if you insult IV and VII in my presence again then I will strike you down with vengeance and furious anger! (But not really.)

Eh, it's all good. We've cleared the air now, and like you said, sometimes communication via the Internet can be tricky. Ol' Yangus is just 'appy to be talkin' 'bout DQ again so much.

...though if you insult IV and VII in my presence again then I will strike you down with vengeance and furious anger! (But not really.)

Oh I wasn't insulting VII. I love that game. It's just a bit dated these days. And it's length can be a big turn off for new players. Although, I personally enjoyed the length. That game was one that I didn't realize how much I grew attached to the characters until after I finished it. The script was a bit dated as well, after being used to the new localization standards. I imagine the 3DS version will be epic.

As for IV...its characters seem very well designed, its just kind of hard to get that with half the game's dialogue removed. I'm looking forward to playing the Android version on my tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 6

...And you will know my name is Numen when i lay my vengeance upon thee!

Not if the Goddess has anything to do with it!

What I love about the series is that while everyone has their favorites, the quality of each entry is so high that even the lesser favorites are still fantastic games.  My favorites are 5, 7, and 8, with 1, 2, and 4 being my least favorites.  Yet my recent replays of 1 and 2 were more enjoyable experiences than those withnewer, more modern RPGs out today (most of which I tend to give up on after 10-15 hours.)

On second thought, that may just be a sign that I'm getting old...

;) It would seem Squeenix only seems to care about Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts for the most part, hell seems like Nintendo had more effort in Promoting Dragon Quest outside of Japan than Squeenix did, til recently anyway with Dragon Quest Heroes.

;) I don't know about reversed but I do wish at the very least that Dragon Quest was better known and received here in the west.

• Upvote 1

Kingdom Hearts...that's a series a few of my friends tried to push on me. I played Chain of Memories on GBA and enjoyed that, but I don't have much of a desire to play the other games (or at the least KH 1 and 2). The PS2 versions are fairly cheap for new copies on Amazon, and perhaps I should just bite the bullet and get them.

Kingdom Hearts...that's a series a few of my friends tried to push on me. I played Chain of Memories on GBA and enjoyed that, but I don't have much of a desire to play the other games (or at the least KH 1 and 2). The PS2 versions are fairly cheap for new copies on Amazon, and perhaps I should just bite the bullet and get them.

I enjoyed them immensely back in the day.  It's been a long time since I've played them (got KH2 upon release, beat it, and that's been it).  Never once played another game in the series so there's that.

I like the soundtracks. Never played them though.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I like the soundtracks.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Me too. I really enjoy the GBA versions of the songs from KH1, especially all the battle themes from the worlds you visit.

All my friends and coworkers (except anybody new starting this season - but they'll surely find out soon enough) know Dragon Quest exists, as every single one of them has at least heard me talk about the games and most of them have seen my translation projects for DQ7 3DS and/or Fortune Street Special. My roommate at work watched me play DQ Heroes for several hours, too, the week it came out.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Well, I managed to get one of my best friends into it by forcing him to buy 9 and then play it with me. I'm buying him V for Chhristmas.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 4

But other than him I only have one other friend who knows about it and that's because I talk about it all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 4

• 2 weeks later...

I played DW III on a Chinese portable media player - the one with the NES emulator that my cousin bought online. 
It already had the three NES Final Fantasies on it as well as the first four DW games.

I already know about the DQ games (but not that much) back in my high-school years and I remember scoffing at DW VII whenever I see someone play it way back when FF VII was released. I was even annoyed by how much the characters looked like Dragon Ball characters. Lol!

Anyway, I finished all the NES FF games in that "PMP" and love FF III the most.
Then I tried the very first DW, which was I didn't enjoy that much so I skipped to the third game instead, thinking that the gameplay might be better. 

Fast forward to the present; I love this series more than FF.  :laugh:

Edited by Lightpost

I played in this order:

DW Monsters

DW III and DW Monsters 2

DW II

DW VIII

DW V (I am playing this one now)

The one I want to play most is DW VII