What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

I was just emulating the game on my laptop, but I wanted a physical copy to play directly off the disc. I still like to glance at the manual from time to time.

Sent from my MotoPod

I was just emulating the game on my laptop, but I wanted a physical copy to play directly off the disc. I still like to glance at the manual from time to time.

Sent from my MotoPod

The manual has great art that you really don't find anywhere else. 

Sent from my MotoPod

I've thought about purchasing the guide just to see if it has more art.

Sent from my MotoPod

Sent from my MotoPod

Sent from my MotoPod

I actually got the guide for free from a friend who had it in his basement for years just recently. I've yet to look through it. I'll have to do this tonight. Similarly, I also want to get the guides for DQ 4-6, but they are pretty pricey online.

Sent from my MotoPod

Sent from my MotoPod

I actually got the guide for free from a friend who had it in his basement for years just recently. I've yet to look through it. I'll have to do this tonight. Similarly, I also want to get the guides for DQ 4-6, but they are pretty pricey online.

The only guide I have is for IX. I'd like to get the guide for V one day, if at all possible. The V, VI, and VII guides are my primary wants.

Sent from my MotoPod

I'm guessing you meant to say never instead of ever? Because yeah, I'd rather not play the ps1 version, it looks outdated and the translation will be very different from what I'm used to (I've never played a game that uses the old names). It will still play and feel like a dragon quest game, so I would still enjoy it though.

Maybe one day I'll download an emulator and play it. The cheapest I can get the game online is $100, and then there's the region lock which I'll have to get around somehow. Its simply not worth playing a physical copy.

Unless you want it complete in box, the cheapest option on Amazon right now is $38.50 discs + case with no manual. This is assuming you live in the NA region. There are ways to bypass region lock without any devices. I used to to this to play JP DDR games on my NA PS1.

I think we're looking at the same one. It costs $101 for me. $39 of it is postage.

Maybe one day I'll see it for sale at a reasonable price

I'm guessing you meant to say never instead of ever? Because yeah, I'd rather not play the ps1 version, it looks outdated and the translation will be very different from what I'm used to (I've never played a game that uses the old names). It will still play and feel like a dragon quest game, so I would still enjoy it though.

Maybe one day I'll download an emulator and play it. The cheapest I can get the game online is $100, and then there's the region lock which I'll have to get around somehow. Its simply not worth playing a physical copy.

Unless you want it complete in box, the cheapest option on Amazon right now is $38.50 discs + case with no manual. This is assuming you live in the NA region. There are ways to bypass region lock without any devices. I used to to this to play JP DDR games on my NA PS1.

I think we're looking at the same one. It costs $101 for me. $39 of it is postage.

Maybe one day I'll see it for sale at a reasonable price

That is a real bummer that postage is so much for you. I wish there was an easier way to get it to you. Everyone should enjoy DW7.

• 4 weeks later...

My mother has the DW7 guide, but she didn't take care of it. It's missing pages, has ripped pages, she ended up punching holes into it and putting it in a three ring binder to salvage what was left of it. One day I'd like to get a copy of my own that's in perfect condition.

My mother has the DW7 guide, but she didn't take care of it. It's missing pages, has ripped pages, she ended up punching holes into it and putting it in a three ring binder to salvage what was left of it. One day I'd like to get a copy of my own that's in perfect condition.

I just ordered one that's in decent condition from an Amazon seller for around $25. Finding a perfect one will be extremely costly, but you can can't near mint copies for less than $100 I'm sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

• 2 weeks later...

I first played Dragon Warrior for NES as I saw the Dragon Warrior commercial on TV and told my mom, "I gotta have that game".  Ever since that day, I fell in love with DQ/DW franchise. :)

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

;) I've answered this one a good number of times over the years but for those new comers to the den I shall answer again  :P 

The first game I remember seeing and watching a playthrough off was Dragon Quest III for the NES and the first one I remember playing a lot of as a kid was the first one (Both of which I now possess actual cartridges of, one being signed by the Angry Video Game Nerd himself  :laugh: ) again for the NES.

My first was DW1 back when the Nintendo Power giveaway happened.  I was really young, and absolutely hated it.  This soured me on the series, and I completely ignored DQ until the demo for FFXII was packaged with DQ8 here in the States.  I was incredibly hyped for FFXII at the time, so I figured I'd try out the game for a while and then sell it...

...only to fall head over heels in love with it.  I ended up hunting down copies of the entire series and played through each one in order, having a blast with each.  None as much as 8 though, which I now consider my favorite game ever.

• Upvote 1

My first was DW1 back when the Nintendo Power giveaway happened. I was really young, and absolutely hated it. This soured me on the series, and I completely ignored DQ until the demo for FFXII was packaged with DQ8 here in the States. I was incredibly hyped for FFXII at the time, so I figured I'd try out the game for a while and then sell it...

...only to fall head over heels in love with it. I ended up hunting down copies of the entire series and played through each one in order, having a blast with each. None as much as 8 though, which I now consider my favorite game ever.

The beginning of that seemed familiar. Then you had a twist. Never heard of a 15 year souring that ended up turning into a love story. Cool!

Well, it certainly didn't help that DQ 5-6 only saw English releases with the DS remakes, and that DQ7 came out so late in the PS1's lifespan.  That was a big chunk of my heaviest gaming years spent without a DQ release.

That said, I think age/maturity had something to do with it too.  Even if I did get a chance to play those games in their time period, as a teen, I was too focused on graphics and presentation (read: Final Fantasy.)  I probably wouldn't have appreciated them the way I do now.

It's funny though, I have a harder time replaying old FF games now as an adult, even though their graphics were top-notch for their time.  DQ on the other hand, in spite of it's more simplistic graphics, feels consistently timeless in comparison.

DQVIII is the best. That's a fact.

Apparently it's no longer obvious that what I state is my opinion only. I'm not a journalist, a fact man, nor God, just an opinionated poster. Readers, be warned.

DQVIII is the best. That's a fact.

Apparently it's no longer obvious that what I state is my opinion only. I'm not a journalist, a fact man, nor God, just an opinionated poster. Readers, be warned.

Wonderful juxtaposition of post and tapatalk signature.

• Upvote 2

I like DQVII better than DQVIII.

So suck it Plattym. : P

Now that it's Sunday, I do too. My favorite DQ changes between 4,5,7,8 constantly.

;) My favorite one is a toss up between Dragon Quest III, VI and VIII. Close seconds are IV, V, VII, and IX with I and II tied for third.

My favorite is a tie between IV, VII, and VIII. For me these are the essential Dragon Quest games.

My favorite is a tie between IV, VII, and VIII. For me these are the essential Dragon Quest games.

How disgusting that you left the crowning achievement of DQ off of that list.

IV had great characters, but it's still just meh to me. I'm sure when I get around to playing a version of it that has party chat that I'll like it more.

VII was a flawed masterpiece. Great characters, good story, could have been better served by more side activities. Really, the alchemy and quest system should have made its debut in this game. Can you imagind 7 with its world being slowly pieced together, giving you staggered access to new questgivers and different ingredients?

Still need to play VIII. I just got Jessica and Yangus unlocked in Heroes. And Jessica has convinced me that I need to play this game. I still have my unopened PS2 copy sitting on a shelf. Whenever I finished building my computer, I can properly emulate it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 4

I assume you're talking about V. Crazy that not everyone puts V on their personal favorite DQ list. But, well...

https://imgflip.com/i/vpwvi

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit