What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

Proud to say, I started from the very beginning, with Dragon Warrior on NES. I rented it from a videostore (back when there was such a thing, and then, every one thereafter.  I received the frist Dragon Warrior to own from my parents Christmas, when it was being given away with Nintendo Power subscriptions.

I've played all 4 NES versions, all 3 ports of the Zenithia Trilogy on DS, DQMJ, DQMJ2, DQ7,8, and 9, and DQSwords on Wii. LOVE that game, despite it's flaws.

Yeah, I'm an old DQ dog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

My very first Dragon Quest game was Dragon Warrior 1.  I think I was like 15, so that's been about 21 years ago.  It was simple but the music and the theme were very charming.  So charming in fact that I learned the main NES theme on piano and that was by ear so the chords weren't voiced perfectly until I tried again years later.

Mine was the the first Dragon Warrior. (NOT DRAGON QUEST)

Dragon warrior 1 with the Nintendo Power, the dungeon maps, the warriors handbook, and the cloth map with the all the enemies on it.

Man! I wish we got more of those addons. >0

Edited by Tesla
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Dragon Quest II For GBC when I was 9 or 10 years old. I don't know why I picked that over the first one to play first.

The first DQ game I actually beat was VII, though.

Edited by wintermute
  • 2 weeks later...

I grew up poor.. Dirt poor.. So the first dragon quest game I played was Dragon Warrior for the nes. I was 4 and can remember playing it for years , I used to just button mash and explore. I remember when I died, I'd get upset and cry. Then I got dragon warrior 2 and I must have been 8, it took me a couple years to beat it, but I was able to read and not just button mash. Next was 4, my neighbors just got a 64 and had given it to me, I was stoked. Then I got a gameboy(not color) and DW 1&2 and played the hell out of that, I was about 11 when I got 3 for the gameboy color, a year later I got monsters and eventually worked my way to 7. 7 I loved more than any other. Bought Tornekos game from game crazy(an old shop in the area)

I've had a lot of play time with dragon warrior. All my life. Today I received the English translation of DQM 3 caravan hearts. I've beaten 1-7 never beat 8(I'm working on that now, alongside with caravan and the JP 3ds remakes.). Yeah posted a Lil more than I'd thought. But as many of you, I LOVE DQ

My first one I played was Dragon Warrior...... but I was just a kid and did not know what to do so like only ten minutes was spent. My first one that interested me was 9 and I watched let's plays of older ones then the first one I bought was 6 because that was the one I know the least and I appreciate it for that and loved it, then I got 9 and I love that game to death.  :overjoyed2:

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

My first experience with the series was dragon quest 8. I still remember buying it for a tenner at gamestop when I was eleven. :) Needless to say it blew my mind when I first played it.

Coming from someone who played nothing but movie licensed games and the occasional ratchet and clank game growing up the idea of an explorable 3D world with a day night cycle was mind shattering. Throw in a serious narrative and combat that required tactical thinking and it kinda almost overwhelmed me at first. But I persevered and beat the game within a year.

After beating Dragon Quest 8 I instantly became a fan of the series. I also became a much bigger fan of rpgs in general and I became more determined to play video games that gave me the same sense of satisfaction and joy that DQ8 did.

I've still only played half of the DQ series though. :(

My first game was Dragon Warrior 3, the GBC version. Boy, I loved it. Next was DW I&II, for GBC, though I must say I didn't like it that much, especially II. Then came the iOS versions in these last few months. My favourite is, and will remain, DQV.

• Upvote 1

My first Dragon Quest game was Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Game Boy. My dad spotted it at a game store not long after it came out, and bought it for me. I was hooked on the franchise after that. I have him to thank for my obsession!

My first game was Dragon Warrior IV on the NES. I got it for my birthday. It wasn't the game I had asked for, but the game I wanted, my parents couldn't find, luckily while they were looking at games, a worker there asked how old I was going to be, and recomended Dragon Warrior IV. I've now played 1-9 and the Torneko spinoff game that was released on Playstation.

Dragon Warrior on NES, back in my 5 year old days.

Was my first RPG and I was hooked.

Been my favorite series ever since.

• Upvote 1

I believe my first DW game was the Japanese version of the first game (Dragon Quest 1) maybe 10 years ago, and I checked it out because I knew that the series had been an inspiration for the Final Fantasy games (one of my favourite series), but at that point I quickly lost interest in it because I didn't like how all the characters always faced the player, and I definitely didn't like that you actually had to specify a direction whenever you wanted to talk to a character (for example, "West" if a character was to your left, etc).
But then I found the American translation and found that one more appealing, and I quickly got hooked since I have always found the kind of level-grinding that you do in the beginning of the game kind of addictive (collecting money, learning new spells etc).
Then I went back to the Japanese version and got used to that one as well, and after that I kinda wanted to check out all the games, and then I started playing them in order, continuing with Dragon Warrior 2 and then working my way up, and so far I have finished DW1, DW2 and DW4, and made it very far in DW3 and DQ5.

So far, I think DW3 and DQ5 are the best games, and DW4 would probably be my favourite DW game for the NES if it wasn't for the annoying AI system in Chapter 5.

Edited by Laurelindo

Dragon Warrior was my first DW/DQ game.  I saw it being played at a friend's birthday party around March 3, 1988, and picked it up shortly after.  I was 9 years old.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm pretty sure I picked up one of the Monsters games for GBC without really know what DQ was. I just saw Toriyama art on the box and Dragon in the name, so I wanted it. I was then really confused when playing it, because it was nothing like Dragon Ball Z and it was nothing like Pokemon, even though it seemed like it would be like Pokemon. I don't think I played it for very long. :/

My first experience with the series was dragon quest 8. I still remember buying it for a tenner at gamestop when I was eleven. :) Needless to say it blew my mind when I first played it.

Coming from someone who played nothing but movie licensed games and the occasional ratchet and clank game growing up the idea of an explorable 3D world with a day night cycle was mind shattering. Throw in a serious narrative and combat that required tactical thinking and it kinda almost overwhelmed me at first. But I persevered and beat the game within a year.

After beating Dragon Quest 8 I instantly became a fan of the series. I also became a much bigger fan of rpgs in general and I became more determined to play video games that gave me the same sense of satisfaction and joy that DQ8 did.

You and me both.

DQ8 was the first DQ game released in my region, and I was absolutely amazed by it. I think I was about 10 and I just remember playing the demo over and over again. No matter how hard I tried though, I couldn't beat geyzer during the demo time :| takes too long to grind levels and beating the boss with extremely low level characters has to be near impossible. Then my brother bought and beat the game, traded it in for some reason, and I bought it and played through the whole thing myself when I was about 12

Buy dq 4, 5, 6 and 9 for the ds! I'd also recommend buying 1,2 and 3 on the phone. They're all great remakes of the original game and I highly recommend them.

Only game main game I've never played is 7. and 10 too, but that doesn't count imo

Edited by Amos

You and me both.

DQ8 was the first DQ game released in my region, and I was absolutely amazed by it. I think I was about 10 and I just remember playing the demo over and over again. No matter how hard I tried though, I couldn't beat geyzer during the demo time :| takes too long to grind levels and beating the boss with extremely low level characters has to be near impossible. Then my brother bought and beat the game, traded it in for some reason, and I bought it and played through the whole thing myself when I was about 12

Buy dq 4, 5, 6 and 9 for the ds! I'd also recommend buying 1,2 and 3 on the phone. They're all great remakes of the original game and I highly recommend them.

Only game main game I've never played is 7. and 10 too, but that doesn't count imo

You should play seven if you have the patience/time. While playing, I was just ready to be done with it. Now, I miss its story and characters fairly well. Definitely grew on me and maybe even made my number two spot on my list of favorite DQ games.

If we ever get the 3DS version, I highly recommend you play it. The characters in that game, despite the poor localization on the PSX version, are some of the most significant in the series.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Edited by AustNerevar
  • Upvote 1

I'm guessing you meant to say never instead of ever? Because yeah, I'd rather not play the ps1 version, it looks outdated and the translation will be very different from what I'm used to (I've never played a game that uses the old names). It will still play and feel like a dragon quest game, so I would still enjoy it though.

Maybe one day I'll download an emulator and play it. The cheapest I can get the game online is $100, and then there's the region lock which I'll have to get around somehow. Its simply not worth playing a physical copy.

I'm guessing you meant to say never instead of ever? Because yeah, I'd rather not play the ps1 version, it looks outdated and the translation will be very different from what I'm used to (I've never played a game that uses the old names). It will still play and feel like a dragon quest game, so I would still enjoy it though.

Maybe one day I'll download an emulator and play it. The cheapest I can get the game online is $100, and then there's the region lock which I'll have to get around somehow. Its simply not worth playing a physical copy.

Unless you want it complete in box, the cheapest option on Amazon right now is $38.50 discs + case with no manual. This is assuming you live in the NA region. There are ways to bypass region lock without any devices. I used to to this to play JP DDR games on my NA PS1.

I found a used copy for $40 with the case, manual, and disks all in great condition. It took some looking, but it's possible.

I found a used copy for $40 with the case, manual, and disks all in great condition. It took some looking, but it's possible.

I found mine for similar. I got lucky on Amazon and found someone selling it in perfect condition for $50.

Yep. Got my used copy for around $50. My gf got it for me my birthday or Christmas or something. Of course, I picked it out.

Sent from my MotoPod